The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

Dark horse 4th line centre for next year? He is having a very strong playoffs, and is at the age where it is now or never to make the NHL.

He has improved steadily the last three seasons. While his offensive totals area far off from ever earning a top six role with the Canucks, he seems like a great potential fit for the fourth line. He has enough skill, and from the way he plays could be a spark-plug.

An old scouting report from the OHL compared him to Dave Bolland and Alex Burrows for playing style and was a finalist for "Hardest Working Player" and "Best Face-Off Man". A young, hungry player who can get in people's face, work hard, perform in the circle, and provide a decent level of skill is worth at least a look.

He is my dark horse for that number fourth line centre spot. Good on the draws, is a natural leader, good two way instincts and has a bite to his game. Is small at 5'10'' but has shown everyone that it should not be an issue.

He was apparently one of the hardest workers in Utica this year. From what i've seen he would add some much need feistiness to the line up. If he makes the team i think it will be as a 13/4th line centre.

I don't really see it. He works hard and is good on faceoffs, good penalty killer. We have guys that can do all of that and they have size, NHL speed and can actually find an open man in the offensive zone.

Not sure I ever think he'll play in the NHL on a regular basis, but a solid guy to have on your AHL club and call up for spot duty.

He's definitely going to get a long look at Training Camp this fall alongside Grenier. I have both him and Grenier penciled into the lineup. Friesen as the 4th line centre, Grenier as the 4th line RW. Worst, I expect Friesen to get the Kenins treatment... wherein he's sent down to the AHL but gets one of the first impactful callups once somebody gets injuried. He, and Grenier, both have worked there way up the depth chart and they should be rewarded. Friesen feels like he could become a fan favorite since he's got that small gritty vibe going for him. Also, wouldn't it be awesome to say that the 2010 NHL draft actually yielded a usuable roster player for the Canucks? And wouldn't it be awesome to say that a Canucks 6th rounder actually had the capability to make the NHL? Let's hope he has a strong training camp this fall, that's all I'm saying.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope Friesen is back with Utica next year. Been supporting him for a while and he seems to improve each year.

He actually might have a chance for the 4C spot on the Canucks. A darkhorse yes, but plays a 4th line game and was pretty good this year.

Love his game, he's the type of player that can work with a top line, dig the pucks, crash the net, etc do all the dirty work. I think he'll get some NHL time, it's a contract year I hope they don't let him go.

I agree.

He was a pretty prolific points getter in the Juniors and I feel we would be making a mistake if we let him go before seeing what he has to offer in Vancouver.

Again in the juniors he came into his own in the playoffs (all be it in a very good Ice Dogs team) but these are the "fighting" battling characteristics we need in Vancouver.

Something tells me though that JB will not want to have too many "small" players playing in Vancouver.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one hard nosed highly competitive kid, love his style and remember some timely scoring in the playoffs. Really glad we kept him a type of guy no one wants to play against. A nose for the slot and not afraid to pay the price. Can't wait to see more of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree.

He was a pretty prolific points getter in the Juniors and I feel we would be making a mistake if we let him go before seeing what he has to offer in Vancouver.

Again in the juniors he came into his own in the playoffs (all be it in a very good Ice Dogs team) but these are the "fighting" battling characteristics we need in Vancouver.

Something tells me though that JB will not want to have too many "small" players playing in Vancouver.

The heaviest of the 13 projected forwards is Bo Horvat at 210 to 215. Next is Higgins, at 205 but looks and plays like he's 195. The only other 200 pounder up front is Kenins. The Canucks tough guys are middleweights - Prust at 195 and Dorsett at 190.

On defence, the only guys over 200 are Edler, Hamhuis and Sbisa. Sorry, forgot about the bruiser Weber at 200 pounds.

So Friesen will fit in nicely.

Something tells me that even though Benning talks about being big and fast, the team that's going to be iced this coming season is going to be light and slow. We could use Friesen to up the the midget factor for the team seeing how Baertschi and Weber are the only ones under 6' tall.

Archived