The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The heaviest of the 13 projected forwards is Bo Horvat at 210 to 215. Next is Higgins, at 205 but looks and plays like he's 195. The only other 200 pounder up front is Kenins. The Canucks tough guys are middleweights - Prust at 195 and Dorsett at 190.

On defence, the only guys over 200 are Edler, Hamhuis and Sbisa. Sorry, forgot about the bruiser Weber at 200 pounds.

So Friesen will fit in nicely.

Something tells me that even though Benning talks about being big and fast, the team that's going to be iced this coming season is going to be light and slow. We could use Friesen to up the the midget factor for the team seeing how Baertschi and Weber are the only ones under 6' tall.

Give it a year. Lucic, Virtanen, and Pedan will be patrolling the yard

• 4 months later...

With his name being brought up recently by Benning as a possible call-up, maybe its time to give his thread a bit of a bump... I thought at the end of last year when he finished a really solid season with the Comets and got re-signed he might have a future as a bottom six callup. The biggest question would probably be his size, but with the WJCs on the horizon maybe its time to send McCann away from this tire fire and see what Friesen can bring to the table (well, unless its Vey that gets called up first). Thoughts?

On 7/22/2015 at 4:39 PM, Jiggs50 said:
On 7/22/2015 at 0:50 PM, HK Phooey said:

The heaviest of the 13 projected forwards is Bo Horvat at 210 to 215. Next is Higgins, at 205 but looks and plays like he's 195. The only other 200 pounder up front is Kenins. The Canucks tough guys are middleweights - Prust at 195 and Dorsett at 190.

On defence, the only guys over 200 are Edler, Hamhuis and Sbisa. Sorry, forgot about the bruiser Weber at 200 pounds.

So Friesen will fit in nicely.

Something tells me that even though Benning talks about being big and fast, the team that's going to be iced this coming season is going to be light and slow. We could use Friesen to up the the midget factor for the team seeing how Baertschi and Weber are the only ones under 6' tall.

Give it a year. Lucic, Virtanen, and Pedan will be patrolling the yard

Ha-ha we never learn indeed

• 1 month later...

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 2h2 hours ago

"I've been playing hockey for a long time. I know what I'm doing, so I'll keep it simple and play smart" - Friesen, who is in tonight.

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 2h2 hours ago

"He competes hard and can skate. We're excited to take a look at him" - Desjardins, on Alex Friesen, who could make @NHL debut Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

HF Ranking Spring 2016

19. (NR) Alex Friesen, C, 6.5D
Drafted 6th round, 172nd overall, 2010

Alex Friesen has been a steady and reliable player for Utica over the past few seasons and he finally earned a call-up to the Canucks in mid-February, making his NHL debut. He played just under twelve minutes but was a minus two in the lone game he played as a Canuck. Friesen is now back in Utica where he will help the Comets make their push for the playoffs. His tenacity and feistiness make him an attractive asset despite his small stature but with so many other young forwards gunning for roster spots next season it may be hard for him to secure an NHL job. He is a valuable player to the Utica Comets however, and he may be retained for another season to act as a veteran presence for the farm team while adding some depth for the Canucks

Archived