The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Friesen is a character guy, through and through. I do not only mean fighting either. He won the OHL Academic award as a rookie, Humanitarian of the Year for Niagara last season and Heart and Soul award this season. PLUS, he was voted the Best Faceoff man in the OHL by the coaches as well as Hardest Working Player this season.

All that, and NHL Central Scouting did not even have him on their listing...

*Here is the article I just finished on him (includes some info on a head-to-head matchup with Hodgson):

http://prosportsblogging.com/nhl-hockey/vancouver-canucks/alex-friesen-the-freight-unknown/

Robin Keith Thompson

http://www.chillerinstinct.com/

the "freight" article sounds really interesting. Sounds like we found ourselves a future 4th or maybe even 3rd line centre in the next few years ago. If this guy comes as advertised, a Burrow's like work ethic and can provide some face-offs for us, this guy will be a keeper. The fact that hes got the cojones like Rypien picking on a 6'6 dude and holding his own also helps...definetely will track this guys progress

Well, it certainly seems like he has been passed over in the previous draft and narly in this one as well. I happen to think that he has a nice career in front of him. A role player to be sure, but to be noted as the OHL's hardest working player is a nice commendation. The scoring and faceoffs are also a plus and I too will be keeping an eye on his progress.

I watched Darren Helm play a lot in the WHL (esp. the Final in 2007 and Memorial Cup), he was/is an excellent player and is just starting to come into his own with the Red Wings. Interesting comparision K4C. However, I would see Friesen taking a little longer in the minors once he is a pro to get to the Canucks on a full-time basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

article from cdc homepage....

Alex Friesen was living the dream.

Born and raised in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Friesen made his way through the junior hockey ranks before the OHL's Niagara Icedogs recruited his talents in the 2nd round of the 2007 OHL Priority Selection. Hometown boy playing for the hometown team; what could be better?

Things were moving along swimmingly for the 18-year-old, who waited with bated breath as the 2009 NHL Draft approached, a draft he anticipated being a part of. With the first few rounds coming to a close, Friesen didn't fret, he had 'late round flyer' written all over him.

No one saw the writing on the wall.

July1910_friesen1_rr.jpg

Fast-forward to the 2010 NHL Draft and again Friesen was anxious to be picked, but this time wiser understanding not everyone gets drafted (see Brunelle, Jonathan circa 2010). This was his year though, much to his surprise and delight, and one of the hundreds of text messages he got while at home watching the draft provided the details.

"My teammate Mark Visentin (drafted 27th overall by the Phoenix Coyotes) was at the draft and he texted me before I even knew I had been drafted, before it was updated on the Internet or the NHL Network," laughed Friesen.

"Weird way to get the news, but getting drafted was all that mattered."

The Vancouver Canucks selected Friesen in the sixth round, 172nd overall, or as Visentin's text to Friesen likely read: You're going to Vancouver Freezer, Canucks just picked you!!!

"Not getting drafted in 2009 was disappointing, but it was good in that it gave me that extra motivation I needed. Finally hearing my name called, everyone wants to hear their name called at the NHL Draft - whoever tells you they don't is lying - was a huge relief."

As Friesen and his family look a long, deep, collective breath, so too did Vancouver's scouting department knowing that its third pick was a solid one.

After 15 years of dreaming the dream, Friesen had 10 days before he would realize part of it. The Canucks began Prospects Development Camp June 6th with 36 young guns calling Rogers Arena home for a week; poked and prodded and pushed and pulled and tested and tested and tested like never before, Friesen felt like he stood out like Alan Thicke at the 2010 ESPY Awards, but he wasn't alone.

jul1010_boating02_rr.jpg

When the hockey bags were packed and everyone pounded fists farewell, the prospects went their separate ways, none riding higher than Friesen, a 5-foot-10, 189-pound tenacious centre and third-year Niagara Icedog who finished second in team scoring last season with a career-high 23 goals and 37 assists in 60 games and was named Heart of the Team and Hardest Working Player in an OHL coaches poll.

"This camp was amazing. This is my first taste of an NHL atmosphere and it was great. The practices were hard, workouts were hard and it just kind of gave me an idea and was a real eye-opener for what it's going to be like.

"I learned that it's going to take a lot of hard work like doing some of the longer bike rides and the Grouse Grind, it showed that it's going to take a lot of hard work to get to the next level; it's a real process."

If any of Vancouver's 2010 draftees knows how to dedicate himself and make the most of opportunities, it's Friesen. He scores http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkgbTtRpF3A,

(remember Taylor Hall?), holds his own when it's time to dance and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFOG6ZTEbU.

No wonder Vancouver saw the writing on the wall.

"He's a very hard-nosed player, really good on faceoffs," Canucks GM Mike Gillis said of Friesen during the draft. "He scored in the top-three in our psychological and intelligence testing. He's not a big guy at 5-foot-10, but he's a very, very competitive player. Hard nosed, good skills, can score goals."

July1910_friesen2_rr.jpg Now back in Niagara, Alex spends his days working out alongside brother Gary, a forward with the Brock University Badgers, and sister Julia, a soon-to-be soccer player for St. Lawrence University. All three are pushing themselves to be in peak form come September and with the first-ever Young Stars Prospects Tournament on the horizon, Alex has added incentive.

"I think this camp was a little bit of a more relaxed atmosphere then it's going to be in September, guys will be fighting for jobs then and it's going to be intense. That's when you've really got to come out to play and play hard. It's my first time in a tournament like this so I'm just looking forward to showing what I have."

The Young Stars prospects tournament in Penticton, BC begins September 12. Tournament ticket packages are available online at www.valleyfirstTIX.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849 or in person at the South Okanagan Events Centre box office. Single game tournament tickets will be made available in mid-August.

• 2 months later...

Alex has 3 goals and 3 assists through his first 4 OHL games. Excellent start for him.

Here's a little write-up up his last game from an IceDog fan:

Saw Friesen last night.

Alex is still one of the hardest working forwards in the league. His speed is hard to contain and he's relentless in pursuit of the puck. He and linemate Andrew Agozzino have such good chemistry and the two of them are constantly creating off the rush. Interestingly enough, Alex is one of the only forwards I'd actually trust on the point of the powerplay. He's QB'd the Dogs powerplay for the past year and a bit. Tonight he made a great defensive play as Shawn Szydlowski came flying down the wing on the penalty kill (one on one with Friesen), but Alex angled him off the puck and negated a serious scoring chance. Friesen added a goal and two assists on the powerplay too. All the secondary scoring the Dogs have added is only going to help him have an even better offensive season than last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived