The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're allowed to carry only 50 contracts, and if we're up against the limit, this is one of those guys we'd just walk from.

I think he'll be offered a contract next season, since a bunch of our useless contracts expire (Ellington, Volpatti, Parent, etc).

Parent might have some bottom pairing potential within him if we're patient - and that means another year or half in the AHL. Of course I think it's safe to say he won't be anything near the projection that Nashville had of him when they took him 18th overall in 2005.

I'll tell you what though: I'd much rather have a guy like Friesen signed instead of Tochkin even though they're both small. That 3-year contract he got is starting to look like a real dud. Friesen just brings a lot more to the table IMO.

Guest Dasein

Yeah...Never should have signed Tochkin - this kid still has 3 years left on that ELC. Sucks that we haven't burned any of the years off it yet. At least Ellington's runs out this season.

Would definitely rather have Friesen signed than Tochkin for sure. Maybe we can do a contract dump and send Tochkin somewhere else in a package deal.

Yeah...Never should have signed Tochkin - this kid still has 3 years left on that ELC. Sucks that we haven't burned any of the years off it yet. At least Ellington's runs out this season.

Would definitely rather have Friesen signed than Tochkin for sure. Maybe we can do a contract dump and send Tochkin somewhere else in a package deal.

Send him to the offensively starved Nashville Predators in the trade package (that we all know is coming) for Weber.

Edit: They love their offensively skilled midgets. See: Franson trade. :bigblush:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would give an update on Friesen:

He currently has 47 points (16 goals and 31 assists) in 40 games with the Niagara Icedogs. That is good for 4th on the team in points, but Ryan Strome is likely to catch him before the end of the season to put him in 5th at years end.

It seems as though Friesen is playing on a stacked team in Niagara with the likes of Freddie Hamilton, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Strome, Jamie Oleksiak, and Mark Visentin. I wouldn't be opposed to putting my money on them right now coming out on top of the OHL this year, maybe even the Memorial Cup.

Thought I would give an update on Friesen:

He currently has 47 points (16 goals and 31 assists) in 40 games with the Niagara Icedogs. That is good for 4th on the team in points, but Ryan Strome is likely to catch him before the end of the season to put him in 5th at years end.

It seems as though Friesen is playing on a stacked team in Niagara with the likes of Freddie Hamilton, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Strome, Jamie Oleksiak, and Mark Visentin. I wouldn't be opposed to putting my money on them right now coming out on top of the OHL this year, maybe even the Memorial Cup.

Second this year to the London Knights, without question. The Knights already had a beastly team (ranked 1st in the nation) before they picked up Austin Watson AND Greg Mckegg. I don't really see any team beating the Knights.

Second this year to the London Knights, without question. The Knights already had a beastly team (ranked 1st in the nation) before they picked up Austin Watson AND Greg Mckegg. I don't really see any team beating the Knights.

Yeah I can see what you are saying. I didn't know much about the players on the London Knights, maybe it was just the WJC hype getting to me about some of the players on Niagara. Should be an interesting bout nonetheless.

Does anyone see the Ice Dogs going to the OHL Final this year? Which strong team will they have to beat in the conference final to get there though?

It's very possible. The only real threat they'll face is the 67s and I think in a seven game series the Dogs will come out on top. It probably won't even take the seven. The Eastern conference is really weak this year in comparison to the west.

It's very possible. The only real threat they'll face is the 67s and I think in a seven game series the Dogs will come out on top. It probably won't even take the seven. The Eastern conference is really weak this year in comparison to the west.

I see. If they manage to get out of the Eastern conference, do you think they have a good chance of winning the OHL title?

I see. If they manage to get out of the Eastern conference, do you think they have a good chance of winning the OHL title?

As I said above, I don't see anyone beating the Knights this year. They've been ranked number 1 in the CHL for most of the year and they've picked up Greg Mckegg (a prospect that Leaf fans have been frothing over since last years world jrs) and Austin Watson (first round pick of the Preds in 2010) for pretty minor players and draft picks. They could very well be Memorial cup champs this year and next depending on how things go with the NHL. Unbelievably strong team.

As I said above, I don't see anyone beating the Knights this year. They've been ranked number 1 in the CHL for most of the year and they've picked up Greg Mckegg (a prospect that Leaf fans have been frothing over since last years world jrs) and Austin Watson (first round pick of the Preds in 2010) for pretty minor players and draft picks. They could very well be Memorial cup champs this year and next depending on how things go with the NHL. Unbelievably strong team.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Bugg: Ronaldo: Speedy forechecker, bit of an agitator who can make things happen. I think he could a 40-point forward.

Mason Raymond is a 40 point player. This guy's goal is to make the NHL, not score 40 points. There will be more guys who are as old as he is playing in the "NHL" next year. He's not the brightest of our prospects, but hopefully will be a serviceable one. I'm glad we got this guy that late in the draft.

• 4 weeks later...

Freezer KO'd Erie Otters Goaltender.

Forward had to come in to play net and allowed 13 goals. HAHAHA!

ST. CATHARINES, Ontario (AP)—Connor Crisp allowed 13 goals—and was selected the first star.

And he deserved the honor in an unusual Ontario Hockey League game.

The 17-year-old forward was pressed into goal as an emergency replacement when Erie Otters starting goalie Ramis Sadikov was injured early in a 13-4 loss to the Niagara IceDogs on Sunday.

“Well, I’m a road hockey goalie, ball hockey goalie, but that’s the first time I’ve put on goalie equipment and played on ice since I was 5 years old,” Crisp said.

The Pennsylvania club dressed only one goalie after backup Devin Williams sustained a head injury in a game against Saginaw. Sadikov was knocked out 1:45 into the game Sunday. IceDogs forward Alex Friesen received a major penalty for charging and a game misconduct on the play.

With no backup on the bench the Otters had to either dress a player for the rest of the game or forfeit.

Enter Crisp, who hadn’t played this season after undergoing shoulder surgery, but was designated the backup goalie prior to the game.

“Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be playing today,” Crisp said.

Following a 20-minute delay while he donned goalie equipment, Crisp stepped onto the ice and almost slipped, then fell while taking warmup shots.

“My feet are still cramped, I can hardly walk right now,” Crisp said. “Rammer’s skates were three times too small and not wide enough. That’s probably why I couldn’t skate.”

Crisp made six saves in the first period, 12 in the second and 14 in the third, which ended with a standing ovation and the first-star selection.

“It was appreciated so much—beyond words,” Crisp said. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs’ fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was.

Ryan Strome led Niagara with five goals and an assist.

Still, Crisp was the star.

“As soon I got on the bus I called my parents and as soon as they picked up the phone they were laughing,” Crisp said. “It’s definitely something I will never forget.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-emergencygoalie

Archived