Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Alex Friesen Talk

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

Poll: Alex Friesen Talk (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy we drafted Alex?

1. Yes (98 votes [86.73%])

Percentage of vote: 86.73%

2. No (15 votes [13.27%])

Percentage of vote: 13.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Second this year to the London Knights, without question. The Knights already had a beastly team (ranked 1st in the nation) before they picked up Austin Watson AND Greg Mckegg. I don't really see any team beating the Knights.

Yeah I can see what you are saying. I didn't know much about the players on the London Knights, maybe it was just the WJC hype getting to me about some of the players on Niagara. Should be an interesting bout nonetheless.

Edited by EatJuice, 24 January 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#152 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Does anyone see the Ice Dogs going to the OHL Final this year? Which strong team will they have to beat in the conference final to get there though?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#153 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Does anyone see the Ice Dogs going to the OHL Final this year? Which strong team will they have to beat in the conference final to get there though?

It's very possible. The only real threat they'll face is the 67s and I think in a seven game series the Dogs will come out on top. It probably won't even take the seven. The Eastern conference is really weak this year in comparison to the west.

Edited by 22sedins33, 27 January 2012 - 05:09 AM.

The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#154 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

It's very possible. The only real threat they'll face is the 67s and I think in a seven game series the Dogs will come out on top. It probably won't even take the seven. The Eastern conference is really weak this year in comparison to the west.

I see. If they manage to get out of the Eastern conference, do you think they have a good chance of winning the OHL title?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#155 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

I see. If they manage to get out of the Eastern conference, do you think they have a good chance of winning the OHL title?

As I said above, I don't see anyone beating the Knights this year. They've been ranked number 1 in the CHL for most of the year and they've picked up Greg Mckegg (a prospect that Leaf fans have been frothing over since last years world jrs) and Austin Watson (first round pick of the Preds in 2010) for pretty minor players and draft picks. They could very well be Memorial cup champs this year and next depending on how things go with the NHL. Unbelievably strong team.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#156 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

As I said above, I don't see anyone beating the Knights this year. They've been ranked number 1 in the CHL for most of the year and they've picked up Greg Mckegg (a prospect that Leaf fans have been frothing over since last years world jrs) and Austin Watson (first round pick of the Preds in 2010) for pretty minor players and draft picks. They could very well be Memorial cup champs this year and next depending on how things go with the NHL. Unbelievably strong team.

#157 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

2 goals and 3 assists today and now has 57 points in 46 games,,almost top 20 in OHL scoring. 9 less points than last year in 14 less games.

#158 Devoted

Devoted

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

It is great to see Friesen showing steady improvement. He may lack size but his speed, fore check and willingness to compete for pucks should allow for a smooth transition into a bottom-6 role in the AHL next season.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#159 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Matt Bugg: Ronaldo: Speedy forechecker, bit of an agitator who can make things happen. I think he could a 40-point forward.

Mason Raymond is a 40 point player. This guy's goal is to make the NHL, not score 40 points. There will be more guys who are as old as he is playing in the "NHL" next year. He's not the brightest of our prospects, but hopefully will be a serviceable one. I'm glad we got this guy that late in the draft.

#160 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Freezer KO'd Erie Otters Goaltender.

Forward had to come in to play net and allowed 13 goals. HAHAHA!

ST. CATHARINES, Ontario (AP)—Connor Crisp allowed 13 goals—and was selected the first star.
And he deserved the honor in an unusual Ontario Hockey League game.

The 17-year-old forward was pressed into goal as an emergency replacement when Erie Otters starting goalie Ramis Sadikov was injured early in a 13-4 loss to the Niagara IceDogs on Sunday.
“Well, I’m a road hockey goalie, ball hockey goalie, but that’s the first time I’ve put on goalie equipment and played on ice since I was 5 years old,” Crisp said.
The Pennsylvania club dressed only one goalie after backup Devin Williams sustained a head injury in a game against Saginaw. Sadikov was knocked out 1:45 into the game Sunday. IceDogs forward Alex Friesen received a major penalty for charging and a game misconduct on the play.
With no backup on the bench the Otters had to either dress a player for the rest of the game or forfeit.
Enter Crisp, who hadn’t played this season after undergoing shoulder surgery, but was designated the backup goalie prior to the game.
“Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be playing today,” Crisp said.
Following a 20-minute delay while he donned goalie equipment, Crisp stepped onto the ice and almost slipped, then fell while taking warmup shots.
“My feet are still cramped, I can hardly walk right now,” Crisp said. “Rammer’s skates were three times too small and not wide enough. That’s probably why I couldn’t skate.”
Crisp made six saves in the first period, 12 in the second and 14 in the third, which ended with a standing ovation and the first-star selection.
“It was appreciated so much—beyond words,” Crisp said. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs’ fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was.
Ryan Strome led Niagara with five goals and an assist.
Still, Crisp was the star.
“As soon I got on the bus I called my parents and as soon as they picked up the phone they were laughing,” Crisp said. “It’s definitely something I will never forget.”

http://sports.yahoo....emergencygoalie

#161 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Friesen scored a goal and was even on the night for the Niagra IceDogs in a 5-2 win over the Kingston Frontenacs today.

I envision Friesen grabbing a bottom 6 center spot on the Wolves next year. He's an overager in the OHL this year and is pretty much ready to turn pro.

#162 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

just hope he become our Darren helm!

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#163 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Friesen scored a goal and was even on the night for the Niagra IceDogs in a 5-2 win over the Kingston Frontenacs today.

I envision Friesen grabbing a bottom 6 center spot on the Wolves next year. He's an overager in the OHL this year and is pretty much ready to turn pro.

Yeah, hopefully the extra year helped him and he doesn't Archibald-it (I know they aren't similar, but they're ex-teammates).

#164 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Friesen picked up an assist, 2 PIMS and was +2 for the Niagra IceDogs in their 8-1 win over the Peterborough Petes today.

#165 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Friesen scored 2 goals and was +1 for the Niagra IceDogs in a 7-3 win over the Ottawa 67's today. He and the IceDogs complete their regular season tomorrow vs the Mississauga St Michaels Majors.

#166 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Friesen did not play in the Niagra IceDogs' final regular season game, a 2-0 shutout win over the Mississauga St. Michaels Majors. In the recaps of today's and yesterday's Niagra games there was no mention of anything happening to Friesen so I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps the over-agers just got the day off... Anyway, the IceDogs finished their regular season with a 47-18-3 record and 1st place in the OHL Eastern Conference. They will face Oshawa in the first round of the OHL playoffs. Game 1 goes Thursday March 22.

2011/2012 regular season stats for Alex Friesen:

62 GP, 26 goals, 45 assists, 71 points, +39, 106 PMS

*Friesen's +39 rating tied is tied with Jarrod Tinordi for 1st in the entire OHL.

#167 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

whats the report on Friesen these days. he clearly has outshone his 6th rounder tag but what do you guys now expect from him going forward. those stats look very sexy and he clearly is defensively responsible which is a must for Canuck's prospects.
An updated scouting report on him would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#168 ‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

POPULAR

Found this while poking around on the IceDogs site.
Gotta say, I'm pretty excited we got this guy in the 6th round.
Hopefully, we have our 3c of the future here.

The OHL Coaches Poll provides member club coaches with the opportunity to recognize the top three players in 20 different skill categories within their own conference.

The Niagara IceDogs led the way with representation in 14 of the 20 different categories including seven first place selections. Three of those selections going to forward Alex Friesen. Friesen, a 21-year-old from Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, is a Vancouver Canucks prospect who was considered by Eastern Conference coaches to be the Best Defensive Forward, the Best on Faceoffs, and tied for Best Penalty Killer. Friesen had previously appeared in all three categories in previous years including Best Faceoffs the past two seasons winning it in 2009-10 and finishing third last year. He also won Best Penalty Killer last season and finished third in the Defensive Forward category one year ago. This season he was also recognized as the third Hardest Working player in the conference after winning that category in the 2009-10 season.

http://www.niagaraic...ce-coaches-poll

#169 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Found this while poking around on the IceDogs site.
Gotta say, I'm pretty excited we got this guy in the 6th round.
Hopefully, we have our 3c of the future here.

http://www.niagaraic...ce-coaches-poll

Great stuff! Sounds like just the kind of young player the Canucks need to integrate into their core. At the beginning of the year I said that we might have a Dominic-Moore type player in Friesen and that might be true, given the above accolades Friesen received.

The Canucks have shown they can develop some high end talent - Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Schneider - but what's really been missing in the system is effective bottom 6 players. Hopefully Friesen develops into a solid 3rd line centre so Gillis doesn't have to go out and spend between 2 and 3 million on one in free agency.

I'm predicting he'll be a definite Wolves regular next year.

#170 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Alex Friesen opens the scoring 1:43 into game #1 versus Niklas Jensen's Oshawa Generals. Friesen adds a powerplay assist to make it 2-0 a minute later. They're currently ten minutes into the first period.

The kid is a leader.

Edited by Millerdraft, 22 March 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#171 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

The shutdown line of Agozzino-Friesen-Ritchie is eating Labardo-Jenner-Jensen alive.

Friesen now has 1g 2a 3pts and a +2 in a 5-0 game.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#172 Vrienzy

Vrienzy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

He completed the Hat Trick tonght in an 8-2 win over the generals.

Posted Image

Rest In Peace Ripper, Bourdon and Demitra!

CDCVHL

#173 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Friesen beastin in the playoffs, good to see!

Sucks for Jensen, but I knew the Ice Dogs were gonna roll over them. They're too good.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#174 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

LOL how ironic - our best offensive forward prospect vs our best defensive forward prospect at the junior level.

Friesen seems to be a good shutdown center - maybe this season will earn him a contract - though he's still a long shot to make the NHL because of his size. Not too many 5'9" shutdown centers in this league...

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#175 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Two more assists for Friesen. He currently leads the OHL playoffs in scoring with 3g 3a 6pts.

#176 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,279 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

nice job by #HesSoColdHesFriesen

#177 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

OHL playoffs update for Alex Friesen:

Friesen and the Niagra IceDogs currently lead their 1st round playoff series vs the Oshawa Generals 2-1. They won the first two games 8-2 and 6-1 and Oshawa won Game 3 6-4. Friesen is doing great so far for the IceDogs with 3 goals and 4 assists, 2 PIMS and a -1 rating. He's currently 4th in the OHL in playoff scoring.

#178 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

We need to sign this guy (at the end of the season) or we lose his rights. Looks like a gem from what I've seen.

Posted Image

#179 Honeydew

Honeydew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I think MG is way ahead on us for that one
Posted Image

#180 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Friesen scored the opening goal in the game today.

It is now 1-1 however.

I am cheering for the Gens, but it is nice to see a prospect doing well! Gives Freezer 7 points (4 goals) in 6 games so far - and this one isn't over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.