The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Friesen scored a goal and was even on the night for the Niagra IceDogs in a 5-2 win over the Kingston Frontenacs today.

I envision Friesen grabbing a bottom 6 center spot on the Wolves next year. He's an overager in the OHL this year and is pretty much ready to turn pro.

Friesen scored a goal and was even on the night for the Niagra IceDogs in a 5-2 win over the Kingston Frontenacs today.

I envision Friesen grabbing a bottom 6 center spot on the Wolves next year. He's an overager in the OHL this year and is pretty much ready to turn pro.

Yeah, hopefully the extra year helped him and he doesn't Archibald-it (I know they aren't similar, but they're ex-teammates).

Friesen did not play in the Niagra IceDogs' final regular season game, a 2-0 shutout win over the Mississauga St. Michaels Majors. In the recaps of today's and yesterday's Niagra games there was no mention of anything happening to Friesen so I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps the over-agers just got the day off... Anyway, the IceDogs finished their regular season with a 47-18-3 record and 1st place in the OHL Eastern Conference. They will face Oshawa in the first round of the OHL playoffs. Game 1 goes Thursday March 22.

2011/2012 regular season stats for Alex Friesen:

62 GP, 26 goals, 45 assists, 71 points, +39, 106 PMS

*Friesen's +39 rating tied is tied with Jarrod Tinordi for 1st in the entire OHL.

whats the report on Friesen these days. he clearly has outshone his 6th rounder tag but what do you guys now expect from him going forward. those stats look very sexy and he clearly is defensively responsible which is a must for Canuck's prospects.

An updated scouting report on him would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Found this while poking around on the IceDogs site.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited we got this guy in the 6th round.

Hopefully, we have our 3c of the future here.

The OHL Coaches Poll provides member club coaches with the opportunity to recognize the top three players in 20 different skill categories within their own conference.

The Niagara IceDogs led the way with representation in 14 of the 20 different categories including seven first place selections. Three of those selections going to forward Alex Friesen. Friesen, a 21-year-old from Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, is a Vancouver Canucks prospect who was considered by Eastern Conference coaches to be the Best Defensive Forward, the Best on Faceoffs, and tied for Best Penalty Killer. Friesen had previously appeared in all three categories in previous years including Best Faceoffs the past two seasons winning it in 2009-10 and finishing third last year. He also won Best Penalty Killer last season and finished third in the Defensive Forward category one year ago. This season he was also recognized as the third Hardest Working player in the conference after winning that category in the 2009-10 season.

http://www.niagaraic...ce-coaches-poll

Found this while poking around on the IceDogs site.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited we got this guy in the 6th round.

Hopefully, we have our 3c of the future here.

http://www.niagaraic...ce-coaches-poll

Great stuff! Sounds like just the kind of young player the Canucks need to integrate into their core. At the beginning of the year I said that we might have a Dominic-Moore type player in Friesen and that might be true, given the above accolades Friesen received.

The Canucks have shown they can develop some high end talent - Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Schneider - but what's really been missing in the system is effective bottom 6 players. Hopefully Friesen develops into a solid 3rd line centre so Gillis doesn't have to go out and spend between 2 and 3 million on one in free agency.

I'm predicting he'll be a definite Wolves regular next year.

Guest Dasein

LOL how ironic - our best offensive forward prospect vs our best defensive forward prospect at the junior level.

Friesen seems to be a good shutdown center - maybe this season will earn him a contract - though he's still a long shot to make the NHL because of his size. Not too many 5'9" shutdown centers in this league...

OHL playoffs update for Alex Friesen:

Friesen and the Niagra IceDogs currently lead their 1st round playoff series vs the Oshawa Generals 2-1. They won the first two games 8-2 and 6-1 and Oshawa won Game 3 6-4. Friesen is doing great so far for the IceDogs with 3 goals and 4 assists, 2 PIMS and a -1 rating. He's currently 4th in the OHL in playoff scoring.

Archived