Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

SAWYER HANNAY
Posted Image

Sawyer Hannay
Defense
Born Sep 6 1992  -- Moncton, NB 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 202 -- Shoots R

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 7 #205 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10  Halifax Mooseheads          QMJHL  54    1    5    6  158  --  --  --  --  --
2010-11  Halifax Mooseheads          QMJHL  58    0    7    7  164   4   0   1   1  13
2011-12  Halifax Mooseheads          QMJHL  47    0    2    2   89  17   0   0   0  20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Discuss.

307mg00.jpg

#3 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,532 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Bump
Posted Image

#4 SarcasticPerson

SarcasticPerson

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

I have no idea why people would neg you just for posting the pick...

#5 Raymond #21

Raymond #21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

6'4" big dman. In 54 GP in the QMJHL he has 6 points and 158PIM.
Posted Image
Sig made by me

#6 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

tbh little bit disapointed that MG didn't upgrade on getting some skill up front. This whole draft to me was kind of pointless.

2moy3iq.png

#7 ballsdeepfreeze

ballsdeepfreeze

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

tbh little bit disapointed that MG didn't upgrade on getting some skill up front. This whole draft to me was kind of pointless.

Me too...I said that before and got -22 reputation now haha...

I had a lot more faith in Gillis' mantra of drafting and developing and today I think we might have one or two guys that have a legit shot at make it in the NHL that's it, poor draft by the Canucks staff this year
Posted Image

#8 Canadian

Canadian

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Me too...I said that before and got -22 reputation now haha...

I had a lot more faith in Gillis' mantra of drafting and developing and today I think we might have one or two guys that have a legit shot at make it in the NHL that's it, poor draft by the Canucks staff this year

Can't expect stars from a 4th, 5th, 2x 6th and a 7th.

We can just hope 1 or 2 of these picks will become decent players in the NHL.

velociti1xc8.jpg

#9 ballsdeepfreeze

ballsdeepfreeze

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Can't expect stars from a 4th, 5th, 2x 6th and a 7th.

We can just hope 1 or 2 of these picks will become decent players in the NHL.

Completely agree, but I just expected players like Bieksa O'Brien Hansen to be shopped real hard for picks in the middle rounds today....

But I have a good feeling about Alex Friesen, could be a poor man's Mike Richards in five years!
Posted Image

#10 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

http://thechronicleh...ts/1188478.html

This time last year, Sawyer Hannay saw himself as a long shot to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

He was a sixth-round pick of the Halifax Mooseheads and knew he’d have to overachieve in training camp to make the team. As most fans of the team know already, he pulled that off and started the year as Halifax’s seventh defenceman.

After bouncing in and out of the lineup for the first month of the season, Hannay turned the misfortune of others into an opportunity for himself. He took advantage of some injuries to some of his teammates and established himself during a short time as a player who deserves to play every night. He wasn’t scratched again and finished the year as one of the team’s steadiest defenders.

"The coaches gave me lots of opportunity and I tried to do the best with the chances they gave me," Hannay said. "But for the most part I just tried to enjoy myself and the experience and it seemed to work out well.

"But, yeah, a year ago I was just worrying about my midget team and our championship and then the Q draft came along, which was a nice little surprise. I was just taking it step by step and hoping for the best."

Hannay improved so much during the course of his rookie QMJHL season that NHL scouts even began to take notice. They admired his physical style of play and saw him as a player who wasn’t receiving enough praise for his capabilities in his own end. With the NHL draft coming up this weekend in Los Angeles, there’s a legitimate chance he could be selected.

Some scouts have quietly made it known they would pick him in the fifth or sixth round and the independent scouting service Red Line Report rates Hannay as the 138th-best prospect available.

"As assets go," reads his brief writeup in Red Line Report, "huge and mean are a fine place to start."

At six-foot-four, 190 pounds and with plenty of room to fill out, Hannay has the framework to be stay-at-home NHL defenceman who can also stand up for his teammates. He says he "loves the physical part of the game" and proved it on numerous occasions during his rookie season, enthusiastically engaging the toughest fighters in the league.

"I enjoy it," said Hannay, who was fourth in the Quebec league with 158 penalty minutes in 54 games. "I really like the rough stuff and, in my opinion, that’s the way to play the game. You level with the game, you level with your opponents when you’re playing physical and it brings out the heart in a player. And it’s fun. I love competing at a high level."

In one of its special sections ranking players’ specialized skills, Red Line Report rates Hannay as the fifth-toughest prospect available.

"Where did this guy come from?" reads Hannay’s Red Line Report evaluation. "Guys in the Q have already seen enough to know they don’t want any part of him."

But as much as he has every right to feel like he deserves to be drafted, Hannay knows there are no guarantees he will be picked this weekend. He still feels most comfortable in the long-shot role heading into the draft and said his only plan for the weekend is to follow the proceedings on the Internet and hope someone takes a chance on him.

"It would be a nice little surprise if I got picked but if not there’s always next year," said the Moncton native.

"I’m not going to worry too much about it. There’s not much I can do to help myself get picked now."

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#11 ilikecanucks

ilikecanucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hannay is probably the youngest player in this draft.

He is big, and maybe there is some untapped offensive potential, he will have at least 3 more years in the "Q", so it will be interesting to follow his development.

Definately a lackluster feeling though, only having picks in rounds 4-7.

It is very hard to get excited, especially when our highest draft pick likely plays 4 years at Harvard.

#12 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

He sounds like the Dylan McIlrath of the Q so probably worth taking a flyer on as a seventh rounder.I'm still stunned that the Mac got picked before Gormley and Fowler but that was a wierd draft.It sounds like Hannay improved a lot over the season so hopefully that trend continues and he can log big minutes and continue to develop his game.

#13 absent

absent

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

We'll see how it pans out, but from that vague and brief scouting report, it just sort of reeks of potential depth d-man at best. But who knows, still very young, and if any league will bring out a bit of latent offensive potential, it's the Q. lol.
Posted Image

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,967 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

Gillis likes offense. He doesn't draft toughguys like this until fairly late.

Probably a good strategy. Why waste picks on goons when they are so easy to aquire through other means anyway?
Posted Image

#15 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm a bit surprised that Hannay was still around in the 7th just due to how McIlrath moved up the draft.He's a long shot to ever make the NHL but if we're lucky,maybe he could turn out like Nathan McIver and be an AHL regular with occasional call-up duty or be a 6/7th D-man like Rob Davison was and could slot in when we're playing the more physical teams.

#16 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Gillis likes offense. He doesn't draft toughguys like this until fairly late.

Probably a good strategy. Why waste picks on goons when they are so easy to aquire through other means anyway?

True. Still can't believe Rangers picked McIlrath as high as they did.

Plays like Hatcher? I remember a guy who played like Hatcher who was great before the lockout, but almost useless after it. His name was Derian Hatcher.
Posted Image

#17 SarcasticPerson

SarcasticPerson

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

True. Still can't believe Rangers picked McIlrath as high as they did.

Plays like Hatcher? I remember a guy who played like Hatcher who was great before the lockout, but almost useless after it. His name was Derian Hatcher.

I'm not the only one who found that redundant and a bit funny am I?

#18 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

Not ecstatic at all about this pick, I wish they tried to steal a European gem at this point.

I'm still trying to catch up on who was picked, but I'm pretty sure Patrik Naslund wasn't. He's a big 6'3, 220 pound Swede who struggled in the Allsvenkan this year, but at his age it isn't unexpected. In the J18 league, he put up 17 points in 7 games, in the J20 he put up 5 points in 3 games and playing div.1 he was going about .5 ppg pace (all this year). He drives to the net and seems like a Gillis type player as far as I am concerned.

I don't know, but Hannay seems more like his potential will be a goon/7th defenseman, which we could just sign.

#19 wolfgang puck

wolfgang puck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

[quote name='Thomas Gradin' date='27 June 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1277659934' post='8724620']
Not ecstatic at all about this pick, I wish they tried to steal a European gem at this point.
I'm still trying to catch up on who was picked, but I'm pretty sure Patrik Naslund wasn't. He's a big 6'3, 220 pound Swede who struggled in the Allsvenkan this year, but at his age it isn't unexpected. In the J18 league, he put up 17 points in 7 games, in the J20 he put up 5 points in 3 games and playing div.1 he was going about .5 ppg pace (all this year). He drives to the net and seems like a Gillis type player as far as I am concerned.
I don't know, but Hannay seems more like his potential will be a goon/7th defenseman, which we could just sign.

I'm hoping Gillis might go out and sign a player or two that did'nt get drafted like he did last year with Kellan Tochkin.Maybe he's got Gradin watching this guy and is waiting to see if he ups his game before making a move to sign him after the season like with Eddie Lack.
I don't belive that Victor Ohman was selected either so he could be another Swedish player to possibly target.

#20 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

TBH I was expecting the same, I was hoping MG would at least draft a mysterious Euopean project pick.

2moy3iq.png

#21 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

I'm hoping Gillis might go out and sign a player or two that did'nt get drafted like he did last year with Kellan Tochkin.Maybe he's got Gradin watching this guy and is waiting to see if he ups his game before making a move to sign him after the season like with Eddie Lack.
I don't belive that Victor Ohman was selected either so he could be another Swedish player to possibly target.

Yeah, I very much agree.

I'm actually hoping someone with a bit more (specific player) knowledge than me will start a thread in this forum on "Available Undrafted Prospects" or something similar. I don't think there's a actual thread on that topic (although I didn't really look--maybe buried somewhere?).

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of people who were underwhelmed by the draft picks (although personally I think that we made out pretty well given that the Canucks started in the 4th) and could use some more potential prospects signings to get excited about.

I'd be interested to hear some more opinions about players that were left on the board and are still available.

#22 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, I very much agree.

I'm actually hoping someone with a bit more (specific player) knowledge than me will start a thread in this forum on "Available Undrafted Prospects" or something similar. I don't think there's a actual thread on that topic (although I didn't really look--maybe buried somewhere?).

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of people who were underwhelmed by the draft picks (although personally I think that we made out pretty well given that the Canucks started in the 4th) and could use some more potential prospects signings to get excited about.

I'd be interested to hear some more opinions about players that were left on the board and are still available.

I'm not to upset with our picks, except for this one.

Friesen was a good pick, McNally has some upside. Polasek is good.

#23 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

That won't work. All UDFA will have to be 20+, since they will be eligible for the Draft until that age (kinda fuzzy on the exact age, but I think most of the details are correct). It's the same reason why Gillis was able to nab Connauton and Friesen, who were passed on in their initial draft year, and both are 19.

Best bet for UDFA would be 20 year olds out of the CHL or NCAA, but it's really hard to say which is better - the leagues with more games and a lot of tape on potential failings, or a league where it is mostly a different game.

Edited by Verloren, 29 June 2010 - 07:23 AM.

#24 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

New article on Sawyer Hannay: http://timestranscri...article/1115971

Main River teen drafted by Vancouver Canucks
Published Wednesday June 30th, 2010

17-year-old Sawyer Hannay was the only NBer taken in the NHL draft
B1 By Sean Hatchard
Times & Transcript Staff

Saturday turned out to be a pretty good day for Sawyer Hanney.

He graduated from Bonar Law Memorial School in Rexton. He was also drafted by the NHL's Vancouver Canucks.

Hannay, a 17-year-old tough defenceman from Main River, just outside of Rexton, was selected in the seventh round, 205th overall, by the Canucks in the NHL entry draft in Los Angeles.

Hannay, coming off his rookie season with the Halifax Mooseheads in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, was the only New Brunswicker taken in the NHL draft.

Hannay - a long shot to be chosen - was not in L.A., but in Rexton, so he could be on hand for his graduation ceremony at Bonar Law Saturday morning. Later in the day, over 100 family members attended his graduation party at his great-grandfather's cottage. It was during the party that a younger cousin was following the draft on television and spread the good news quickly.

"It was already a big day with my graduation, so I wanted to focus on that and if I got selected, that would be great. My cousin came in and told the party and it was pretty special. Everyone was shaking my hand, hugging me and my phone didn't stop ringing," Hannay said.

"It was already a good day for me, but that made it even better. That was a great day in my life for two reasons."

A draft celebration evening for Hannay will be held Friday at 7 p.m. at the Down Home Sports Lounge in Bass River. Pictures and autographs will be available and food will be provided.

Hannay leaves Monday for Vancouver to attend the Canucks' six-day development camp. He was thrilled to get drafted by Vancouver, a Canadian team that features one of the league's best goaltenders in Roberto Luongo.

"This is what I dreamed about as a kid and it's a honour to get drafted," he said. "I feel like the work is only just beginning for me now and I feel like I'm ready for it."

Hannay played his minor hockey in West Kent before joining the Moncton Flyers major midget AAA program in 2008-09. He helped the Flyers win both the Atlantic and New Brunswick titles before reaching the Telus Cup national championship.

Hannay was a sixth-round pick in the 2009 QMJHL draft and wasn't a sure bet to even make the Mooseheads out of training camp.

He made the club and got into 54 games, finishing with six points and 158 penalty minutes. He started the campaign as Halifax's seventh defenceman, but ended the season as one of club's best blueliners.

"I just wanted to make the Halifax team. I went in there and worked hard every day and did what the coach said," Hannay said. "I had a few fights here and there and I stood up for my teammates."

Hannay, whose NHL hero is rugged defenceman Chris Pronger, offers size at 6-foot-4 and 190 pounds. He's a tough player who enjoys the physical game.

"I try to be a stay-at-home defenceman who is not afraid, has character and is a good teammate," he said.

Hannay hopes to prove to the Canucks down the road that he was a worthy draft pick, just like he did with the Mooseheads.

"I'm really proud of him. He was probably one of the most upbeat guys in our dressing room," said John DeCourcey, Hannay's midget coach in Moncton. "He's just a great team player."

#25 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

That won't work. All UDFA will have to be 20+, since they will be eligible for the Draft until that age (kinda fuzzy on the exact age, but I think most of the details are correct). It's the same reason why Gillis was able to nab Connauton and Friesen, who were passed on in their initial draft year, and both are 19.

Best bet for UDFA would be 20 year olds out of the CHL or NCAA, but it's really hard to say which is better - the leagues with more games and a lot of tape on potential failings, or a league where it is mostly a different game.

Yeah, I might have "misspoke" (miswrote?) when I said "left on the board" because I really just meant that I hoped that people would share some information about any non-drafted prospect that are available.

I was thinking that people who were disappointed by the draft could start getting excited about possible signings out there and could share their hopes for the potential training camp/rookie camp invitees.

Also, when you look at Michael Howser (attending camp with Canucks), it's not as though younger players (he's 17--9/13/1992--with a late birthdate) aren't worth looking at. Clearly, the Canucks feel there's a good reason to bring him in (even though he's most certainly going back into the 2011 Draft--good chance he'll be the starting goaltender for the London Knights next season).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, 30 June 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#26 c0medyClub

c0medyClub

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

He wont amount to anything.
Posted Image
credit to CaptainUnderpants!

Posted Image

LED ZEPPELIN IS GROSSLY OVERRATED

#27 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I might have "misspoke" (miswrote?) when I said "left on the board" because I really just meant that I hoped that people would share some information about any non-drafted prospect that are available.

I was thinking that people who were disappointed by the draft could start getting excited about possible signings out there and could share their hopes for the potential training camp/rookie camp invitees.

Also, when you look at Michael Howser (attending camp with Canucks), it's not as though younger players (he's 17--9/13/1992--with a late birthdate) aren't worth looking at. Clearly, the Canucks feel there's a good reason to bring him in (even though he's most certainly going back into the 2011 Draft--good chance he'll be the starting goaltender for the London Knights next season).

It's actually kind of interesting when you think about it, as NHL clubs are becoming more and more like NFL teams in terms of inviting a whole group of UDFA/youth players to a mini-camp, with the potential for a training camp invite.

#28 riske1

riske1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

He wont amount to anything.

How the hell do you know he will not amount to anything? Are you another fool that believes this organization does not need a few bigger character guys? MG needs to draft and sign more players of this type to support the skill that is already here. Give the kid a chance.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

#29 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like he's got his head on straight. There's no telling what hard work can accomplish.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#30 manicdonkey

manicdonkey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Big kids can take longer to get their feet under them. He's already physical at what amounts to a fairly lanky weight for his height. When his coordination and muscles catch up to his size perhaps he'll be good.
It's definitely a risk, but that's what round 7 is all about. If nothing else maybe he'll play a few good years of moose hockey.
So yeah, my name is Michael and I'm a 28 year old realtor that lives in New Westminster. Message if you want to chat about anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.