Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

b3.

Sawyer Hannay Talk

109 posts in this topic

SAWYER HANNAY

Hannay0912.jpg

Sawyer Hannay

Defense

Born Sep 6 1992 -- Moncton, NB

Height 6.04 -- Weight 202 -- Shoots R

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 7 #205 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009-10 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 54 1 5 6 158 -- -- -- -- --

2010-11 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 58 0 7 7 164 4 0 1 1 13

2011-12 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 47 0 2 2 89 17 0 0 0 20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bump

6'4" big dman. In 54 GP in the QMJHL he has 6 points and 158PIM.

tbh little bit disapointed that MG didn't upgrade on getting some skill up front. This whole draft to me was kind of pointless.

tbh little bit disapointed that MG didn't upgrade on getting some skill up front. This whole draft to me was kind of pointless.

Me too...I said that before and got -22 reputation now haha...

I had a lot more faith in Gillis' mantra of drafting and developing and today I think we might have one or two guys that have a legit shot at make it in the NHL that's it, poor draft by the Canucks staff this year

Can't expect stars from a 4th, 5th, 2x 6th and a 7th.

We can just hope 1 or 2 of these picks will become decent players in the NHL.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1188478.html

This time last year, Sawyer Hannay saw himself as a long shot to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

He was a sixth-round pick of the Halifax Mooseheads and knew he’d have to overachieve in training camp to make the team. As most fans of the team know already, he pulled that off and started the year as Halifax’s seventh defenceman.

After bouncing in and out of the lineup for the first month of the season, Hannay turned the misfortune of others into an opportunity for himself. He took advantage of some injuries to some of his teammates and established himself during a short time as a player who deserves to play every night. He wasn’t scratched again and finished the year as one of the team’s steadiest defenders.

"The coaches gave me lots of opportunity and I tried to do the best with the chances they gave me," Hannay said. "But for the most part I just tried to enjoy myself and the experience and it seemed to work out well.

"But, yeah, a year ago I was just worrying about my midget team and our championship and then the Q draft came along, which was a nice little surprise. I was just taking it step by step and hoping for the best."

Hannay improved so much during the course of his rookie QMJHL season that NHL scouts even began to take notice. They admired his physical style of play and saw him as a player who wasn’t receiving enough praise for his capabilities in his own end. With the NHL draft coming up this weekend in Los Angeles, there’s a legitimate chance he could be selected.

Some scouts have quietly made it known they would pick him in the fifth or sixth round and the independent scouting service Red Line Report rates Hannay as the 138th-best prospect available.

"As assets go," reads his brief writeup in Red Line Report, "huge and mean are a fine place to start."

At six-foot-four, 190 pounds and with plenty of room to fill out, Hannay has the framework to be stay-at-home NHL defenceman who can also stand up for his teammates. He says he "loves the physical part of the game" and proved it on numerous occasions during his rookie season, enthusiastically engaging the toughest fighters in the league.

"I enjoy it," said Hannay, who was fourth in the Quebec league with 158 penalty minutes in 54 games. "I really like the rough stuff and, in my opinion, that’s the way to play the game. You level with the game, you level with your opponents when you’re playing physical and it brings out the heart in a player. And it’s fun. I love competing at a high level."

In one of its special sections ranking players’ specialized skills, Red Line Report rates Hannay as the fifth-toughest prospect available.

"Where did this guy come from?" reads Hannay’s Red Line Report evaluation. "Guys in the Q have already seen enough to know they don’t want any part of him."

But as much as he has every right to feel like he deserves to be drafted, Hannay knows there are no guarantees he will be picked this weekend. He still feels most comfortable in the long-shot role heading into the draft and said his only plan for the weekend is to follow the proceedings on the Internet and hope someone takes a chance on him.

"It would be a nice little surprise if I got picked but if not there’s always next year," said the Moncton native.

"I’m not going to worry too much about it. There’s not much I can do to help myself get picked now."

Hannay is probably the youngest player in this draft.

He is big, and maybe there is some untapped offensive potential, he will have at least 3 more years in the "Q", so it will be interesting to follow his development.

Definately a lackluster feeling though, only having picks in rounds 4-7.

It is very hard to get excited, especially when our highest draft pick likely plays 4 years at Harvard.

He sounds like the Dylan McIlrath of the Q so probably worth taking a flyer on as a seventh rounder.I'm still stunned that the Mac got picked before Gormley and Fowler but that was a wierd draft.It sounds like Hannay improved a lot over the season so hopefully that trend continues and he can log big minutes and continue to develop his game.

We'll see how it pans out, but from that vague and brief scouting report, it just sort of reeks of potential depth d-man at best. But who knows, still very young, and if any league will bring out a bit of latent offensive potential, it's the Q. lol.

Gillis likes offense. He doesn't draft toughguys like this until fairly late.

Probably a good strategy. Why waste picks on goons when they are so easy to aquire through other means anyway?

I'm a bit surprised that Hannay was still around in the 7th just due to how McIlrath moved up the draft.He's a long shot to ever make the NHL but if we're lucky,maybe he could turn out like Nathan McIver and be an AHL regular with occasional call-up duty or be a 6/7th D-man like Rob Davison was and could slot in when we're playing the more physical teams.

Gillis likes offense. He doesn't draft toughguys like this until fairly late.

Probably a good strategy. Why waste picks on goons when they are so easy to aquire through other means anyway?

True. Still can't believe Rangers picked McIlrath as high as they did.

Plays like Hatcher? I remember a guy who played like Hatcher who was great before the lockout, but almost useless after it. His name was Derian Hatcher.

Not ecstatic at all about this pick, I wish they tried to steal a European gem at this point.

I'm still trying to catch up on who was picked, but I'm pretty sure Patrik Naslund wasn't. He's a big 6'3, 220 pound Swede who struggled in the Allsvenkan this year, but at his age it isn't unexpected. In the J18 league, he put up 17 points in 7 games, in the J20 he put up 5 points in 3 games and playing div.1 he was going about .5 ppg pace (all this year). He drives to the net and seems like a Gillis type player as far as I am concerned.

I don't know, but Hannay seems more like his potential will be a goon/7th defenseman, which we could just sign.

Not ecstatic at all about this pick, I wish they tried to steal a European gem at this point.

I'm still trying to catch up on who was picked, but I'm pretty sure Patrik Naslund wasn't. He's a big 6'3, 220 pound Swede who struggled in the Allsvenkan this year, but at his age it isn't unexpected. In the J18 league, he put up 17 points in 7 games, in the J20 he put up 5 points in 3 games and playing div.1 he was going about .5 ppg pace (all this year). He drives to the net and seems like a Gillis type player as far as I am concerned.

I don't know, but Hannay seems more like his potential will be a goon/7th defenseman, which we could just sign.

I'm hoping Gillis might go out and sign a player or two that did'nt get drafted like he did last year with Kellan Tochkin.Maybe he's got Gradin watching this guy and is waiting to see if he ups his game before making a move to sign him after the season like with Eddie Lack.

I don't belive that Victor Ohman was selected either so he could be another Swedish player to possibly target.