#31 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,654 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

I love his name!
Sawyer is not a hockey name but neither is Sidney so let's hope!!!
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#32 GrassyPonderous

GrassyPonderous

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

It was only a matter of time before this got in here...

#33 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

He wont amount to anything.

They said that about Alex Burrows as well, look how he turned out

#34 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I might have "misspoke" (miswrote?) when I said "left on the board" because I really just meant that I hoped that people would share some information about any non-drafted prospect that are available.

I was thinking that people who were disappointed by the draft could start getting excited about possible signings out there and could share their hopes for the potential training camp/rookie camp invitees.

Also, when you look at Michael Howser (attending camp with Canucks), it's not as though younger players (he's 17--9/13/1992--with a late birthdate) aren't worth looking at. Clearly, the Canucks feel there's a good reason to bring him in (even though he's most certainly going back into the 2011 Draft--good chance he'll be the starting goaltender for the London Knights next season).

Actually its quite genius, does any other teams do this sorta ploy? Its great that the Canucks would take a look at a younger kid, gives them a leg up and they can also track his progress in a way. Sometimes potential can be seen from not what the player is can potentially do, but how far he's come along u know whut i mean?

#35 R4ff

R4ff

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Btw his last name is pronounced "Hannah"
Ben Hutton Sig

#36 CJDusty

CJDusty

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

I like this pick. It was a late round pick so it doesnt matter if he pans out or not, but an organization cant be full of nothing but skilled players. An organization needs grit and toughness so why not draft a kid like this and see what he can offer. We need someone to keep other teams accountable. Even if he doesnt make it to the show, he can still watch over our skilled guys on the moose one day hopefully.

#37 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Not ecstatic at all about this pick, I wish they tried to steal a European gem at this point.

I'm still trying to catch up on who was picked, but I'm pretty sure Patrik Naslund wasn't. He's a big 6'3, 220 pound Swede who struggled in the Allsvenkan this year, but at his age it isn't unexpected. In the J18 league, he put up 17 points in 7 games, in the J20 he put up 5 points in 3 games and playing div.1 he was going about .5 ppg pace (all this year). He drives to the net and seems like a Gillis type player as far as I am concerned.

I don't know, but Hannay seems more like his potential will be a goon/7th defenseman, which we could just sign.

Can you imagine if we drafted Patrik Naslund? What if he became a superstar and we ended up retiring his number as well?

12 Smyl - 16 Linden - 19 M. Naslund - XX P. Naslund - 22 D. Sedin - 33 H. Sedin

That'd be so funny.

zuhwS.gif

#38 c0medyClub

c0medyClub

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

How the hell do you know he will not amount to anything? Are you another fool that believes this organization does not need a few bigger character guys? MG needs to draft and sign more players of this type to support the skill that is already here. Give the kid a chance.

How about my sister could put up more points than this guy has in the Q. Now, you're going to say that he isn't an offensive defensemen and his job isn't to score points but that is my point. All defensive defensemen in the NHL had contributed respectable point totals on their junior teams. So what if he has character and he's a big body. If the QMJHL is way too tough for this kid then has about zero percent of even being a remote threat in the ECHL. I'll give him a chance, I always give players a chance but so far it lookslike Sawyer is going nowhere real quick.
Posted Image
credit to CaptainUnderpants!

Posted Image

LED ZEPPELIN IS GROSSLY OVERRATED

#39 mucktuck

mucktuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Can you imagine if we drafted Patrik Naslund? What if he became a superstar and we ended up retiring his number as well?

12 Smyl - 16 Linden - 19 M. Naslund - XX P. Naslund - 22 D. Sedin - 33 H. Sedin

That'd be so funny.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#40 c0medyClub

c0medyClub

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

People minus even though I'm right.

Cool story, bro.

... That's why CDC is a joke sometimes. A bunch of pissy little girls that can't accept the truth.

Edited by c0medyClub, 14 July 2010 - 01:09 PM.

Posted Image
credit to CaptainUnderpants!

Posted Image

LED ZEPPELIN IS GROSSLY OVERRATED

#41 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,533 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

How about my sister could put up more points than this guy has in the Q. Now, you're going to say that he isn't an offensive defensemen and his job isn't to score points but that is my point. All defensive defensemen in the NHL had contributed respectable point totals on their junior teams. So what if he has character and he's a big body. If the QMJHL is way too tough for this kid then has about zero percent of even being a remote threat in the ECHL. I'll give him a chance, I always give players a chance but so far it lookslike Sawyer is going nowhere real quick.

Yep, and it isn't like the QMJHL is a hard league to put up numbers. I'll hold off my final thoughts until I see him play a few games.
Posted Image

#42 Darkre

Darkre

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

I actually like this pick alot. Hannay was one of the youngest players in the draft and this was his first year in Junior Hockey. He plays tough and at 6'4" and 200lbs he's still getting used to his size. Many big defencemen have struggled to put up points in their first seasons of Major Junior as they rarely play big minutes or receive power play time (the exception being highly rated/drafted bantam prospects). As his role on the team grows so should his point total. Plus at 17 he still has a chance to grow another inch or two and add another 30-50lbs. If he works with the Canucks staff on his mobility and skating he could be a real sleeper pick for the Canucks.

Afterall who wouldn't want a 6'6" 250lb tough and mean Dman on their team.

#43 riske1

riske1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Cool story, bro.

... That's why CDC is a joke sometimes. A bunch of pissy little girls that can't accept the truth.

Hey sparky, You have a Michael Buble sig and you are calling people out? Fool.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

#44 newgm

newgm

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

<br />I actually like this pick alot.  Hannay was one of the youngest players in the draft and this was his first year in Junior Hockey.  He plays tough and at 6'4&quot; and 200lbs he's still getting used to his size.  Many big defencemen have struggled to put up points in their first seasons of Major Junior as they rarely play big minutes or receive power play time (the exception being highly rated/drafted bantam prospects).  As his role on the team grows so should his point total.  Plus at 17 he still has a chance to grow another inch or two and add another 30-50lbs.  If he works with the Canucks staff on his mobility and skating he could be a real sleeper pick for the Canucks.<br /><br />Afterall who wouldn't want a 6'6&quot; 250lb tough and mean Dman on their team.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Great risk reward pick, who knows you might have another Harold Snepst type player in a couple of years, except one that can actually skate.

#45 The Drunken Crunker

The Drunken Crunker

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Cool story, bro.

Wow, you can predict that a 7th round pick won't make the NHL.

Big risk w/ that prediction eh? Way to go out on a limb buddy. :bored:

I've never been to Australia.. but... I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that the oceans blue...
Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

"We are trying to get more Canadians playing floorball, leave it to Sami to make it seem dangerous,"
- Greg Beaudin, president of B.C. Floorball.

#46 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

He finally got a shot on goal, two of them to be exact.
Posted Image

#47 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

Sawyer got some beef when he fights, definetly can hold his own against big boys. Isn't great at fighting but when hes mad he can really chuck them hard.

2moy3iq.png

#48 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:21 AM

They are pretty good at tugging, hugging, and grabbing in the Q.
Posted Image

#49 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,813 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

He finally got a shot on goal, two of them to be exact.

Posted Image

They are pretty good at tugging, hugging, and grabbing in the Q.

They don't want to ruin their manicures... Least physical of all the CHL leagues.

#50 Seņor Hoff

Seņor Hoff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hannay, whose NHL hero is rugged defenceman Chris Pronger, offers size at 6-foot-4 and 190 pounds. He's a tough player who enjoys the physical game.

:frantic:

:bigblush:
At first I was like...
Posted Image

...But then I was like
Posted Image

#51 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Anyone know how his skating is? I'm guessing it's safe to say that he's never going to put up numbers like Lidstrom or Pronger, but how is his actual defensive game itself? Is he a defensive all-star who can single-handedly shut down opposing top line players? 'Cos if he doesn't specialize in one thing and master it well at his current level, then it's going to be hard for someone of his limited skillset to move up. I'm still kinda iffy on this pick to be honest.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#52 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Needs to work on his foot speed, have read comparisons to Colin White.
Posted Image

#53 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Completely agree, but I just expected players like Bieksa O'Brien Hansen to be shopped real hard for picks in the middle rounds today....

But I have a good feeling about Alex Friesen, could be a poor man's Mike Richards in five years!

Good thing we didn't trade for Bieksa and Hanse. We could still use them this year provided MG re-signs them. hansen still RFA, so all good.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#54 bAsRa17

bAsRa17

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

This guy will be awesome one day.

#55 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Not particularly a fan of the pick so far, but hope he can improve enough to show some promise!
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#56 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Sawyer has flown under the radar for the most part since being drafted by the Nucks in the 7th round in 2010.
Sawyer is at a point a game pace in the preseason and has two full seasons under his belt in the Q.

Sawyer, turning 19 this coming Tuesday, will be interesting to watch this season as he plays with Alex Grenier and junior sensation Nathan MaKinnon on the Mooseheads.

Edited by nuck l head, 03 September 2011 - 09:46 AM.

#57 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

Isn't he a defenseman?

Posted Image

#58 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=45145

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8475899

My apologies to Bieksa 3 as I never realised this topic existed,already.

#59 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Gillis seems to like our prospects playing on the same teams.

There was Schroeder, White, and Matson playing for the Gophers. Anthony and Sauve playing for the Sea Dogs. Friesen and Archibald playing for the Ice Dogs. And now Hannay and Grenier playing together.

I guess it's good to develop these relationships early so that these guys can feel more comfortable when they come to the Wolves.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#60 Burr-Its-Cold

Burr-Its-Cold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

He became a top 4 defenseman in EHM for me.

Posted Image

Free Patchey and iE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.