The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

Meh, Don't care about iOS or Android.

Tools, not toys.

Just because Android doesn't have a keyboard, it isn't really a toy. I know Blackberry excels at core functions of a phone, especially a business phone but that doesn't necessarily mean anything right now when more people are buying Apple iPhones and Android phones. Its all about market and consumer demand to the point that Microsoft changed their OS to try and capture the market of phones and tablets in which Blackberry is failing. In fact, Blackberry is trying to move to that market and that is why they make a whole new OS like Blackberry 10. Right now, the minority want a keyboard phone and that minority is the blackberry users which is shrinking minute by minute because of the dismal Blackberry App world. Its all about business and money not tools or toys.

Well there is another side of the coin. It's a choice and its awesome when my phone goes off no one had the same notification tones anymore because they all have Iphones or android. and when one of their phones goes off, at least a dozen people around them start doing the self pat down :lol:

Another thing is that I don't care what phone is the latest rage among kids, hipsters, and old people. I have used all platforms and everytime I come back to Blackberry because its what works for me.

I'm a Blackberry user by choice!

Been on team blackberry for the last 5 years. Had the Pearl, then the curve 8530, and then..I'm sorry guys, I gave in and got an iPhone 4s. I got it at 2:30pm last December. By 6pm that same day I had exchanged it for the Bold 9900. Could not stand the 4s. It feels incredibly fragile, I hate typing on their stupid touch keyboard, autocorrect in incredibly annoying, their sms layout is ugllllly.

Just because Android doesn't have a keyboard, it isn't really a toy. I know Blackberry excels at core functions of a phone, especially a business phone but that doesn't necessarily mean anything right now when more people are buying Apple iPhones and Android phones. Its all about market and consumer demand to the point that Microsoft changed their OS to try and capture the market of phones and tablets in which Blackberry is failing. In fact, Blackberry is trying to move to that market and that is why they make a whole new OS like Blackberry 10. Right now, the minority want a keyboard phone and that minority is the blackberry users which is shrinking minute by minute because of the dismal Blackberry App world. Its all about business and money not tools or toys.

It's not a matter of having a keyboard or not, if it was, Blackberry would win 10 out of 10 times.

It's more about how the OS is built and what it was built for. I've tried both platforms, and I can honestly say, Andriod looks way to childish for me. Where as Blackberry's have a sophisticated look to them, and they preform how I need a phone to work.

The reason RIM is making a new platform, is because the current OS, BB7, is based on a 15 year old platform and it simply is not meant for the way smartphones are being used today. If you look at BB10, you'll see that most of its features still revolve around productivity, and it very much is a business phone, but it can handle anything.

Lastly, the number of Blackberry users is actually growing, not shrinking. According to the numbers from the last earnings call, they are up to 80 Million from 78 Million.

New voice chat on BBM was needed. Glad to see it implemented. I honestly couldn't care less what others (including my friends) are using. There's whatsapp for IMing and texting is texting. I absolutely love my physical keyboard and the ability to navigate using the touch screen on my 9900. Oh yeah, I also like being able to wear not-specially-made gloves when it's cold and still use my phone to message and read/write emails ;).

Super pumped for Blackberry 10!

Specs have been leaked and it looks better than the S3 and Iphone!!

gsmarena_001.jpg

Dimension Size:

Blackberry 10: 136x68x8.85mm

Samsung S3: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm

Iphone 5: 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm

Display:

Blackberry 10: 1280 x 720 pixels

Samsung S3: 720 x 1280 pixels

Iphone 5: 640 x 1136 pixels

Camera:

Blackberry 10: 8MP camera and 1080p recording at 30fps +720p front facing camera

Samsung S3: 8MP and 1080p recording at 30fps + 720p front facing camera

Iphone 5: 8MP and 1080p recording at 30fps + 720p front facing camera

Memory:

Blackberry 10: 2gbs of ram + 16gbs Flash + slot for more memory on SD card (Up to 64gbs)

Samsung S3: 1gb of ram + 16/32/64gb SD card

Iphone 5: 1gb of ram + 16/32/64gb

CPU:

Blackberry 10: 1.5Ghz Quad Core

Samsung S3: 1.4Ghz Quad Core

Iphone 5: 1.2Ghz Dual Core.

Super pumped for Blackberry 10!

Specs have been leaked and it looks better than the S3 and Iphone!!

gsmarena_001.jpg

Dimension Size:

Blackberry 10: 136x68x8.85mm

Samsung S3: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm

Iphone 5: 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm

Display:

Blackberry 10: 1280 x 720 pixels

Samsung S3: 720 x 1280 pixels

Iphone 5: 640 x 1136 pixels

Camera:

Blackberry 10: 8MP camera and 1080p recording at 30fps +720p front facing camera

Samsung S3: 8MP and 1080p recording at 30fps + 720p front facing camera

Iphone 5: 8MP and 1080p recording at 30fps + 720p front facing camera

Memory:

Blackberry 10: 2gbs of ram + 16gbs Flash + slot for more memory on SD card (Up to 64gbs)

Samsung S3: 1gb of ram + 16/32/64gb SD card

Iphone 5: 1gb of ram + 16/32/64gb

CPU:

Blackberry 10: 1.5Ghz Quad Core

Samsung S3: 1.4Ghz Quad Core

Iphone 5: 1.2Ghz Dual Core.

Looks great! ::D

I notice it says sealed battery with non-removable door in the picture... I thought RIM was going to keep the removable battery...?

Looks great! ::D

I notice it says sealed battery with non-removable door in the picture... I thought RIM was going to keep the removable battery...?

Most likely is the case. Its a great scheme by the phone companies to rack in more cash when your battery dies.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to get a Google Apps account set up on a Bold 9780 running OS 6.0 Bundle 1306 (v.6.0.0.359). I haven't been able to create an account in the "other" option and it is really frustrating considering how I use this email a lot more than my personal and it would make my BlackBerry much more valuable to me.

Does anyone know how to get a Google Apps account set up on a Bold 9780 running OS 6.0 Bundle 1306 (v.6.0.0.359). I haven't been able to create an account in the "other" option and it is really frustrating considering how I use this email a lot more than my personal and it would make my BlackBerry much more valuable to me.

I think you have to use IMAP instead of POP for Google Apps. Hope this helps:

Note: While setup instructions are provided below, Gmail IMAP1 access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time.

To set up the BlackBerry's email client with Google Apps email (IMAP), just follow these steps:

1.On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen

2.Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)

3.Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account

4.Be sure to enter the following: ◦Mail Server: imap.gmail.com

◦Username: [your full Google Apps email address]

◦Password: [your Google Apps password]

◦IMAP Port: 993

5.Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)

6.Select Next

7.Select Next again (bypassing the 'Additional Information Required' section)

8.Select your account type, then select Next

You may encounter a 'We were unable to configure...' error. Select I will provide the settings to continue

9.Select the option that mentions 'IMAP/POP'

10.Select I will provide the settings..., then select Next

11.Select Set up existing email account...

12.Enter your Google Apps account information here, with 'imap.gmail.com' as your mail server

13.Select Next

14.Select Save

If setup is successful, you should receive a confirmation message and a new mailbox icon should appear on your device's home screen, labeled with your Google Apps email address.

If you encounter a problem during setup, please make sure you have enabled IMAP in your main Google Apps Mail settings.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78882

I think you have to use IMAP instead of POP for Google Apps. Hope this helps:

http://support.googl...en&answer=78882

The problem is that whenever I enter in my google apps account info, I get a message saying that I have an invalid email address or password however I'm sure that both are right. Not sure if it's something to do with the OS or a BlackBerry ID update...

The problem is that whenever I enter in my google apps account info, I get a message saying that I have an invalid email address or password however I'm sure that both are right. Not sure if it's something to do with the OS or a BlackBerry ID update...

Get the newest OS for 9700 (depending on your carrier, it might be 6.0.0.666 or up) and try again?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone downloaded BBM 7 yet?

I can't get BBM Voice to work (the icon doesn't appear like it's supposed to, but I know the other person has BBM 7 as well. :(

Haven't upgraded to any of the new versions of BBM since I got my Torch. LOL

I tried to upgrade my OS, but it just freezes during backup. I gave up.

Archived