The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

All I know is my blackberry stock was up so much lately I couldn't find it on the page (where it typically sits on the bottom now top three!).

If you bought in at the bottom, you are looking good.

Shares in the company rose 5.6 percent to close at $13.31 on the Nasdaq - the stock’s highest close since May 1. Its Toronto-listed shares rose 5.8 percent to close at C$13.14.

The stock has more than doubled in price since Sept. 24, when the shares were trading slightly above the $6 level in both New York and Toronto. The wave of optimism around BB10 has in recent weeks been bolstered by a number of analyst upgrades on the stock.

If you bought in at the bottom, you are looking good.

Shares in the company rose 5.6 percent to close at $13.31 on the Nasdaq - the stock’s highest close since May 1. Its Toronto-listed shares rose 5.8 percent to close at C$13.14.

The stock has more than doubled in price since Sept. 24, when the shares were trading slightly above the $6 level in both New York and Toronto. The wave of optimism around BB10 has in recent weeks been bolstered by a number of analyst upgrades on the stock.

I started at about 14 but bought more as it went down so I am at about break even now. I was tempted to buy more at seven but figured I had too much in one company that didn't pay dividends so I put money in other stuff. But if it gets back to it's old 30 - 40 dollar range I would get many multiples of my investment anyways.

Edit: Just looked and I am in the money at 13.20 and above. So I didn't buy at the very bottom but it's potentially still going to be a buy low type thing if it rebounds should the new system be popular (and given how ficle technology is with people wouldn't shock me if it is).

I use an online broker as the fees are much less.

Some basics:

http://www.milliondo...tock-market.htm

Various options such as:

TD Waterhouse Webroker

http://www.tdwaterho..._sp=wDBR005-744

RBC Direct Investing (they also offer a Practise Account)

http://rbcdirectinvesting.com/

Questrade

http://questrade.com/

Here is a comparison of rates and services of various brokers.

http://www.milliondo...-brokerages.htm

RBC direct charges rediculous fees (29 bucks) per trade if you have less than 50k in your trading account (at which points you pay 9 bucks).

That said if you already bank with RBC you can have everything in one spot and the analysis and what not is good as it the tech support. It's what I personally use though if I was just starting out I would go with a discount broker.

Good article on places to start up here as well....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/qtrade-keeps-its-lock-on-no-1-in-globes-annual-survey/article554611/

The number one pick having free trades for a bunch of ETFs would be a super appealing option for a beginner. In fact as much as a might act ra ra on this my boring ETF portfolio is the overwhelming majority of my portfolio and a smarter place to start sniffing around instead of buying individual stocks.

RBC direct charges rediculous fees (29 bucks) per trade if you have less than 50k in your trading account (at which points you pay 9 bucks).

That said if you already bank with RBC you can have everything in one spot and the analysis and what not is good as it the tech support. It's what I personally use though if I was just starting out I would go with a discount broker.

Good article on places to start up here as well....

http://www.theglobea.../article554611/

The number one pick having free trades for a bunch of ETFs would be a super appealing option for a beginner. In fact as much as a might act ra ra on this my boring ETF portfolio is the overwhelming majority of my portfolio and a smarter place to start sniffing around instead of buying individual stocks.

But with RBC, if you are a student and have signed up for the right student accounts all your fees get waved for as long as your a student and then 5 years once you're done school.

But with RBC, if you are a student and have signed up for the right student accounts all your fees get waved for as long as your a student and then 5 years once you're done school.

Don't matter I have a grandfathered free account and you still pay for trades. 29.99 a trade if you have less than 50k in assets and 9.99 if you have more. RBC investing is a different company than royal bank (even if they are both RBC group and trade under RB.TO together).

In fact they consider themselves so different that if you want to qualify for one of their group bundles if you have a TFSA or RRSP account through direct investing they don't count that as having one at Royal Bank! Trust me, I know this, I recently had a big fight with them over this!

Looking at it, I can't believe they didn't decrease the size of the top bezel as that's definitely a waste of screen space. It honestly doesn't look that different from the 9900 minus the trackpad and phone buttons. I'm definitely going to wait it out and see how the market responds to BB10. However just within my friends, most have recently done hardware upgrades to Samsungs or iPhones so none of them will be going back to BB. Hope it works out. I don't know how much I'd be willing to pay to go from the 9900 to the new X10 though.

This is RIMs last kick at the can I think, if BB10 doesn't impress overly they will be done quickly. Haven't followed BB10 as close as I used to follow BB before I hoped ship but will look more into them at the end of January when they introduce the new phones.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my blackberry bold 9700 for 3 and a half years. probably dropped it about 100-200 times, the latter 100 were without case protection.

still works perfectly, trackpad and everything. its treated me well enough to go for the BB 10.

I've had my blackberry bold 9700 for 3 and a half years. probably dropped it about 100-200 times, the latter 100 were without case protection.

still works perfectly, trackpad and everything. its treated me well enough to go for the BB 10.

that's basically the exact same for me, had my 9700 for until last november (2 years, 7 months), and after excessive use everyday, and my battery port ripped out of my phone. Still works perfectly even with OS6 installed (although it's a little slower), so I'll keep it as a backup. Didn't know about the two metal ports at the bottom that can charge your phone as well until I got a 9780 off of usedvictoria which came with a stand-up charger. Will definitely be buying the N-series BB10.

Archived