The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

Depends on how much I use and what I do on it. If I don't talk on it a lot - just texting, BBM and go online a little - my battery lasts a day on average.

That's pretty awful. I guess I won't get a new battery then as two others have said their batteries last around a day.

RIM announced the new Blackberry smartphone to debut in the US on August 12 - no word on the Canadian launch.

In an effort to regain market share in the highly competitive world of advanced mobile communication devices, Waterloo, Ont.-based Research In Motion announced in New York City on Tuesday its new touch-screen smartphone, which will be offered in the United States solely through AT&T Inc.

The new smartphone is called the BlackBerry 9800, or Torch, and features an iPhone-like touch screen and a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard. The phone will run on the new BlackBerry 6 OS operating system.

The phone will start selling Aug. 12 for $199.99 U.S. with a two-year AT&T contract in the U.S. There was no announcement about when the phone will be available in Canada, or which companies will carry it.

Some of the phone's specs include an optical trackpad, a five megapixel camera — which will automatically tag photos with location — and social networking streaming capabilities. The Torch will also feature a redesigned home screen, notification previews and universal search which will be integrated with App World.

"BlackBerry 6 is the outcome of RIM's ongoing passion to deliver a powerful, simplified and optimized user experience for both touch screen and keyboard fans," said Mike Lazaridis, president and co-CEO of RIM.

Some investors have shown concern that RIM is losing momentum to Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Inc.'s Android operating system.

While RIM increased its share of the overall global market for cellphones by 40 per cent last year, the company's share of the market for multi-function smartphones fell from 20.9 per cent to 19.4 per cent in the first quarter of this year, according to the market research firm IDC. Apple's share jumped to 16.1 per cent from 10.9 per cent in the same period.

RIM's stock on the Toronto Stock Exchange was down following Tuesday's announcement, falling 0.24 per cent to $59.010.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/announces+smartphone/3353996/story.html#ixzz0vYm0yYq7

Why do people try so hard to compare Apples and Oranges (I guess Blackberry in this case)? Those are two companies that clearly target different demographics. Besides, think iPhone 4 is so great? I was actually thinking of getting one. But the antenna issue, proximity sensor issue, and discoloration of the retina display aren't exactly small issues.

Anyway. Bold 9700 unlocked to Fido.

Currently addicted to Absolute Tris. It's free on the AppWorld. And +1 to what someone else said. Bolt and Opera Mini are both good alternatives to the native browser. There's the Canucks BB app if you're a Canucks fan. ScoreMobile, Goal.com, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter = recommended.

If the 9800 flops mark my words RIM is going to drop so far down the smart phone category.

I got a -4 because I was actually being honest? Wow. If you actually think about the Antenna issue and retina display as well as the proximity sensor issue, if you actually thought that NO phone has issues when loading a new OS is foolish. BBM 5 when it first came out thousands lost all their contacts. I'm guessing no one read about that now did they?

Opera mini is by far the better browser than the native Browser. The only advantage that a BB has over an iPhone 4 is BBM, BIS, BES.

As for your comment that the demographics are different I would highly disagree. The demographics that the RIM market is targeting needs to change soon. The 9800 looks garbage. I give props to RIM for trying something new.

The RIM Empire they have built is slowly crumbling before Jim's eyes. OS6's UI looks decent and a step in the right direction.

BUT it's no fluke that the iPhone 4 sold over 1.7 million units in 3 days of it's release.

It randomly deletes my SMS messages. Sometimes my phone freezes. Occasionally, BBM messages don't get sent/received until a lot later. I haven't upgraded yet so I might do that.

When your at the home screen click Menu and then when you're in the applications list click Switch Application and check to see if there are any other Apps running. Just pressing the "end" button doesn't correctly end an application.

When your at the home screen click Menu and then when you're in the applications list click Switch Application and check to see if there are any other Apps running. Just pressing the "end" button doesn't correctly end an application.

I know that. I always close my apps.

If the 9800 flops mark my words RIM is going to drop so far down the smart phone category.

I got a -4 because I was actually being honest? Wow. If you actually think about the Antenna issue and retina display as well as the proximity sensor issue, if you actually thought that NO phone has issues when loading a new OS is foolish. BBM 5 when it first came out thousands lost all their contacts. I'm guessing no one read about that now did they?

Opera mini is by far the better browser than the native Browser. The only advantage that a BB has over an iPhone 4 is BBM, BIS, BES.

As for your comment that the demographics are different I would highly disagree. The demographics that the RIM market is targeting needs to change soon. The 9800 looks garbage. I give props to RIM for trying something new.

The RIM Empire they have built is slowly crumbling before Jim's eyes. OS6's UI looks decent and a step in the right direction.

BUT it's no fluke that the iPhone 4 sold over 1.7 million units in 3 days of it's release.

Keyboard says sup

Jumped on the bb bandwagon 2 months ago, and LOVED it ever since. The bbm system is like live msn with other bb users. I was just wondering, is it a good idea to download songs and put it in your bb or is it better to just keep it in your mp3 to avoid wasting space?

Jumped on the bb bandwagon 2 months ago, and LOVED it ever since. The bbm system is like live msn with other bb users. I was just wondering, is it a good idea to download songs and put it in your bb or is it better to just keep it in your mp3 to avoid wasting space?

For me, it's not wasting any space but my concern is that it'll kill the battery quicker.

Btw join the CDC BBM group :P

Is it possible to run OS 5 on a Curve 8900?

I think so

i could type on the iPhone 3G just as fast as I could type as fast on a Berry, not to brag or anything, but I'm pretty damn fast on a Berry since I have had one since the 8700 before the BB's became a fashion accessory.

Meh, not like the iPhone isn't a fashion accessory. And I prefer typing on an actual keyboard than an on-screen keyboard. I can type fast on an iPhone too but I find typing on a Blackberry A LOT more convenient. The only touch screen phone that I don't mind typing on is a HTC Desire/Google Nexus One

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need a new phone, so I was looking into some blackberrys/blackberries.

I was looking at the 8900, it got pretty good online reviews, not a bad price either.

But what is the best blackberry available? I heard different opinions on the 9700 and 9800, but I dislike their keyboards, is there a good blackberry out that has the keyboards similar to this?

curve6.jpg

I like how the keyboard on this phone is more spaced and by itself, than like other models that are too close together and a bit smaller.

This is the first time I am considering blackberry, I used to own the iphone 3G. Cant afford the new iphone 4.

So what would give me a good wifi/3G and a solid performance by the phone itself?

Thanks for your time, Ill be reading! :)

EDIT:

-Which is good? Bold or curve?

- Is BBM free and how does it work?

Archived