The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

I already have an iPod Touch, which is why I'm leaning towards the BlackBerry among other reasons too.

Here is an interesting review comparing the BlackBerry Torch to the iPhone 4:

http://www.knowyourm...e_iphone_4.html

That's a pretty good review.

It really comes down to personal preference. I knew from Day 1 that I don't want an iPhone so I've never considered getting one. But that's not to say it's not a good phone - I know a lot of people who love theirs. Most people get the iPhone because of the apps but since you already have an iPod Touch, what else would make you choose an iPhone over another smartphone?

For me, it was between either the Torch or one of the Android phones. But I'll most likely upgrade to the Torch because I have a BlackBerry right now and I really like it.

I recently got a blackberry 8520. I don't have long distance so when I go to call someone and it adds a +1 in front I can't call anyone. I turned it off in smart dialing but now I can't tell who somebody is when they text me. All the texts come in with a +1 still. How do I fix this??

It really comes down to personal preference. I knew from Day 1 that I don't want an iPhone so I've never considered getting one. But that's not to say it's not a good phone - I know a lot of people who love theirs. Most people get the iPhone because of the apps but since you already have an iPod Touch, what else would make you choose an iPhone over another smartphone?

For me, it was between either the Torch or one of the Android phones. But I'll most likely upgrade to the Torch because I have a BlackBerry right now and I really like it.

That's the biggest thing it's personal preference.

I do all IT for my company so i've seen all of them but the office is mainly Blackberry. I have both an iPhone4 for myself and currently a Storm2.

We got a couple torches in the office now and i'm really impressed with it. With the exception for users who like Blackberry for their own reasons and BBM, Blackberrys are buisness tools. The torch made it a lot more personal but if you are a work person and need emails and contacts this kicks the iPhones beeehind! I'm not a fan of the slide out keyboard but its growing on me. I can't wait to get OS 6 on my storm2.

If you like browsing, apps, fun stuff i think iPhones are the way to go. Droids are nice but they just haven't grown on me. They are all too bulky and weird in your hand. To me an iPhone feels how a phone should. (people who use a phone a lot know what i mean by the feel of the phone) lol.

If you're using wifi and you do not have a data plan, what are some of the things you cannot do? I've heard you cannot access AppWorld or use the BB's default browser. Is this true?

You can use the browser. That's what I did when I got rid of my data plan (no one had bbm at the time and was finding it kinda useless). Not sure about AppWorld though.

Loving my new Torch. The biggest complaints I have so far with it:

-even crappier battery life vs. my old curve.

-that stupid calendar that you cannot auto-hide.

-in the 'messages' folder of my old curve, it had all emails, texts, and bbms. Now the texts only show in the text mesage folder (and not the 'messages' folder).

The OS 6 is fantastic and I love the old standby bb features (fast email pickup, bbm, simple and easy to use, etc.).

That's the biggest thing it's personal preference.

I do all IT for my company so i've seen all of them but the office is mainly Blackberry. I have both an iPhone4 for myself and currently a Storm2.

We got a couple torches in the office now and i'm really impressed with it. With the exception for users who like Blackberry for their own reasons and BBM, Blackberrys are buisness tools. The torch made it a lot more personal but if you are a work person and need emails and contacts this kicks the iPhones beeehind! I'm not a fan of the slide out keyboard but its growing on me. I can't wait to get OS 6 on my storm2.

If you like browsing, apps, fun stuff i think iPhones are the way to go. Droids are nice but they just haven't grown on me. They are all too bulky and weird in your hand. To me an iPhone feels how a phone should. (people who use a phone a lot know what i mean by the feel of the phone) lol.

The storm 2 isn't getting OS 6

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-6-review#what-gets-blackberry-6

I've been using the blackberry torch 9800 for about 2 weeks now and at first i was a bit hesitant because of the reviews. The more I use it the more I'm getting addicted to it (mind you I used to use a blackberry 9700). It feels like a whole new blackberry and it's just refreshing to be able to use something different. The touch screen is very responsive, no lag whatsoever. OS6 is amazing. I really love the new web browser as I can now view full webpages and have several tabs open. Multi-tasking = blackberry's specialty. A lot of people are a bit unsure about the low processor specs but I really think this is to save battery life. Unlike the iphone...my blackberry can go for 2 days without charge. When I used the iphone I had to charge it every single day. Blackberry is a professional device so obviously the apps aren't that amazing. If you want to play games on your phone...get an iphone...or a psp. I use my blackberry to organize my calendar and to check emails. If i want to play games i have an ipod touch to satisfy my needs...and a laptop. I like the concept of having a slider keyboard. I'm not great with typing on touch screens so having a full qwerty keyboard makes typing a lot faster and more convenient. Technically by having the slider you've got the best of both worlds: touch screen and a physical keyboard. iPhone 4 vs. Blackberry Torch all comes down to personal preference. Will you be wanting a phone to keep track of work and email or a phone to play with/for entertainment. If you're leaning towards keeping track of work and email then I'd say blackberry hands down. The difficult decision is then Torch vs. Bold. That will be personal preference of touch screen or non-touch screen.

First few days I was hesitant about the Torch and considered going back to the Bold but now I can't let go of my torch. OS6 is amazing, the concept of the phone is great...and it looks great as well. Finally RIM is stepping up to the current market. They've just recently partnered with QNX so there will be some amazing apps coming out as well so looking forward to that!

Hope this "mini" review helps.

Good post, viper.claw. As for that Torch vs Bold debate, I'm hearing a lot of buzz about the Bold 9780 being released soon. I believe it's going to be OS6 compatible.

I believe that the 9700 will be getting OS6 as well though (around Christmas time). From what I hear there aren't much improvements for the 9780 other than a better processor and 5.0 mp camera compared to the 9700.

I believe that the 9700 will be getting OS6 as well though (around Christmas time). From what I hear there aren't much improvements for the 9780 other than a better processor and 5.0 mp camera compared to the 9700.

Yah. All I've really heard about, improvement-wise, on the 9780 is the camera and that it will have more RAM.

Canuck_83, that was my bb information up there if you ever want to get something going ;) ;)

Anyways, I'm having issues with the battery not holding a charge and my phone's performance being really sluggish.

I feel as if the two thing are related. Any idea of buying a new battery would speed up my operating performance?

If you're using wifi and you do not have a data plan, what are some of the things you cannot do? I've heard you cannot access AppWorld or use the BB's default browser. Is this true?

You can use the browser and the AppWorld but cannot use some apps like Facebook or MSN.

Yah. All I've really heard about, improvement-wise, on the 9780 is the camera and that it will have more RAM.

This is all I've heard as well. I think it's physically exactly the same too. It's just good timing for anybody who is signing a new contract/doing a hardware upgrade I guess eh?

Does anybody know how to disable the clicking flash sound off from the camera?

I'm pretty sure that's illegal (has to do with people sneaking photos of others).

You can use the browser and the AppWorld but cannot use some apps like Facebook or MSN.

This is all I've heard as well. I think it's physically exactly the same too. It's just good timing for anybody who is signing a new contract/doing a hardware upgrade I guess eh?

I'm pretty sure that's illegal (has to do with people sneaking photos of others).

Yah. I think it's so people can feel like they've got the newest phone (since the 9700 is considered old now). LOL

I've heard that about the camera sound as well.

Canuck_83, that was my bb information up there if you ever want to get something going ;) ;)

Anyways, I'm having issues with the battery not holding a charge and my phone's performance being really sluggish.

I feel as if the two thing are related. Any idea of buying a new battery would speed up my operating performance?

Make sure any apps you don't have apps open that don't need to be. On the home screen, hold down the blackberry button for a few seconds to see all the apps you have open. Go into all the ones you don't need and close them properly (BB button > Quit/close/etc).

Archived