• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Boy that is pretty...

This is a leaked pic of the N-series:

Posted Image

Article: http://pressblue.com...25/greg-kentuck

I wouldn't get the L-series (full touch) but am intrigued by the N-series. I currently use a 9900. Does anyone think the device would be unbalanced or weird to type on since the keyboard is so low?
Posted Image

#572 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Boy that is pretty...

Posted Image

I wouldn't get the L-series (full touch) but am intrigued by the N-series. I currently use a 9900. Does anyone think the device would be unbalanced or weird to type on since the keyboard is so low?

It looks awkward for sure....I'm a little more worried about the lack of trackpad though.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#573 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Boy that is pretty...

Posted Image

The N-series has straight frets, so I don't think that's the final hardware. Maybe the DevAlpha C?
Posted Image

#574 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

All I know is my blackberry stock was up so much lately I couldn't find it on the page (where it typically sits on the bottom now top three!).

#575 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-10-review.html

With a month and a half to go until the launch of its next-generation BlackBerry phones, Research In Motion is finally starting to take the wrappers off its make-it-or-break-it devices.

On Tuesday, the Waterloo, Ont.-based company announced the release of the final version of its software development kit for the BlackBerry 10 operating system, or the tools that developers will use to create apps for the new devices.

App developers are now cleared to make their final tweaks ahead of the unveiling of the official BB10 phone on Jan. 30.

RIM is also in the midst of a cross-continent road show, with a stop in Toronto on Tuesday, where the finer points of the nearly finished operating system are being demonstrated to journalists.

After an hour with the new device, it’s safe to say BlackBerry loyalists have reason to be optimistic, even if larger questions still loom. Whether the new devices will be able to fight off tough competition in the consumer space from Apple and Android is an open question, but they will offer some nice productivity and work features for RIM’s bread-and-butter business users.

The phone shown in the demonstration was the Alpha B, an all-touch-screen pre-production model that has been given out to about 6,000 app developers over the past few months. RIM is planning to officially release a final, as-yet-unnamed version of this phone shortly after the coming-out party at the end of January.

A second phone – which will resemble a Bold, with a physical keyboard and smaller touchscreen – will follow shortly after, with pre-production “Alpha C” models being sent to developers soon, the RIM spokesperson said.

New keyboard

For many BlackBerry users, the keyboard is key – and the main feature that separates the phones from rivals. Indeed, many current holdouts say they still prefer outdated, older BlackBerrys to newer smartphones simply because they hate touchscreens.

With BB10, RIM is attempting to ease some of that disdain with a redesigned touch keyboard that introduces three functions for easier typing.

The first are three silver “frets,” or thick lines that separate the four rows of keys on the QWERTY keyboard. The frets create a sort of psychological barrier between the rows, which makes for better subconscious separation of the keys by the user and therefore fewer spelling mistakes, the spokesperson said.

The keyboard also uses a form of predictive text that anticipates the next word to be typed. If the user types “Hi, how are,” for example, then the word “you” appears over the Y key. If that’s indeed the desired word, the user can then swipe up on the Y and the whole word is automatically input.

You also don’t have to keep hitting the backspace button to delete a word if you make a mistake – that’s accomplished by swiping from right to left on the keyboard. As an extra bonus, you can set three languages and switch between them while typing, with the predictive text working for all of them.

The third addition is a sort of keyboard underlay, or an invisible keyboard under the one seen on the touchscreen. This one learns, then subtly shifts and adapts according to where its user presses. So, if you’re always slightly off in hitting the R key, for example, the invisible keyboard will adjust accordingly.

While these sorts of functions will be better judged over a longer test period, they did seem to work well during the demonstration. Swiping predicted words may take some getting used to, but if the algorithms powering the function work properly, it’s a feature that might speed typing up significantly.

Faster, smoother interface

RIM is also going for a faster and smoother interface with BB10, a fact that is most noticeable by the almost heretical lack of a “home” button. While there is a sort of home screen that houses the standard grid of apps, you move around screens by swiping in from all four edges of the phone, or what the company calls its “Flow” interface.

Swiping down from the top brings up settings, while swiping up takes you to open applications, or “active frames,” of which you can have eight running at once. Swiping from left to right reveals the main messaging “BB Hub,” a grouping of all your email, text messages, LinkedIn notifications, tweets and other communications, while going the other way brings you back to whatever you were doing before.

Again, the lack of a home button may initially seem weird to anyone used to an iPhone or Android device, but the fluid screen motions feel like something you could easily warm to. Indeed, the swipe-heavy interface of the PlayBook, RIM’s tablet, is one of its most enjoyable features.

The Contacts app also integrates with messaging, so aside from getting a person’s phone number or email address, you can look at their recent updates from LinkedIn as well as a history of interactions with them. The Calendar app also smartly bolds days that have more appointments, so you can easily see when your schedule is swamped and when it’s lighter.

Updated Messenger app

BB10 will also feature the recently announced update to the BlackBerry Messenger app, which adds free Voice over Internet Protocol calls over wi-fi (think Skype) to the standard text messaging option. The update is already available for existing BlackBerry 7 devices.

Lastly, the new operating system also lets users separate their personal stuff from work-related things with Balance, a feature that essentially splits media and apps into two user profiles. You can keep pictures of your kids in your personal profile, while professional images and documents are stored in the work profile.

It’s a handy addition because it means you can avoid accidentally showing that photo from your weekend drinking binge when you’ve hooked your phone up to the boardroom projector.

Will all of this be enough to woo new users and prevent existing ones from defecting to competitors? With RIM still playing some cards close to its figurative chest – such as pricing, the phones’ eventual hardware specifications and how many apps will be available – it’s hard to judge right now.

One thing that is clear is the BB10 operating system now appears to be finely polished and ready for prime time. It will offer business users some genuinely useful features, but in the larger consumer world, RIM will still have to contend with competitors that have significantly more developed app ecosystems.

Chief executive Thorsten Heins says the company is aiming for quality apps over quantity. So far, though, it’s the phone makers with the most apps that are running away with the market.

#576 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Your excitement about the new Blackberries is getting me excited!

Horray!

#577 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

All I know is my blackberry stock was up so much lately I couldn't find it on the page (where it typically sits on the bottom now top three!).

I was looking into buying a bunch of RIM stock while they were under 7 dollars a share, but have no idea how to get involved in that sort of stuff. Quite unfortunate really.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#578 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

I was looking into buying a bunch of RIM stock while they were under 7 dollars a share, but have no idea how to get involved in that sort of stuff. Quite unfortunate really.

I use an online broker as the fees are much less.

Some basics:
http://www.milliondo...tock-market.htm

Various options such as:

TD Waterhouse Webroker
http://www.tdwaterho..._sp=wDBR005-744

RBC Direct Investing (they also offer a Practise Account)
http://rbcdirectinvesting.com/

Questrade
http://questrade.com/

Here is a comparison of rates and services of various brokers.
http://www.milliondo...-brokerages.htm
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#579 EB²

EB²

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

It looks awkward for sure....I'm a little more worried about the lack of trackpad though.

Currently using a torch without my trackpad. It stopped working 3 weeks ago, so damn hard without it. Cant even zoom when taking pictures but then again the camera is crapty anyways

#580 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,060 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

---

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 12 December 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#581 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

If you bought in at the bottom, you are looking good.

Shares in the company rose 5.6 percent to close at $13.31 on the Nasdaq - the stock’s highest close since May 1. Its Toronto-listed shares rose 5.8 percent to close at C$13.14.

The stock has more than doubled in price since Sept. 24, when the shares were trading slightly above the $6 level in both New York and Toronto. The wave of optimism around BB10 has in recent weeks been bolstered by a number of analyst upgrades on the stock.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#582 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

What I find interesting is that no one who has tried the devices has had anything bad to say about it. I think that says a lot.
Posted Image

#583 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I think it'll be fine to navigate without a trackpad. For the most part I only ever use my trackpad on my 9900 when I'm wearing my gloves.
Posted Image

#584 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

If you bought in at the bottom, you are looking good.

Shares in the company rose 5.6 percent to close at $13.31 on the Nasdaq - the stock’s highest close since May 1. Its Toronto-listed shares rose 5.8 percent to close at C$13.14.

The stock has more than doubled in price since Sept. 24, when the shares were trading slightly above the $6 level in both New York and Toronto. The wave of optimism around BB10 has in recent weeks been bolstered by a number of analyst upgrades on the stock.

I started at about 14 but bought more as it went down so I am at about break even now. I was tempted to buy more at seven but figured I had too much in one company that didn't pay dividends so I put money in other stuff. But if it gets back to it's old 30 - 40 dollar range I would get many multiples of my investment anyways.

Edit: Just looked and I am in the money at 13.20 and above. So I didn't buy at the very bottom but it's potentially still going to be a buy low type thing if it rebounds should the new system be popular (and given how ficle technology is with people wouldn't shock me if it is).

Edited by ronthecivil, 13 December 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#585 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

I use an online broker as the fees are much less.

Some basics:
http://www.milliondo...tock-market.htm

Various options such as:

TD Waterhouse Webroker
http://www.tdwaterho..._sp=wDBR005-744

RBC Direct Investing (they also offer a Practise Account)
http://rbcdirectinvesting.com/

Questrade
http://questrade.com/

Here is a comparison of rates and services of various brokers.
http://www.milliondo...-brokerages.htm

RBC direct charges rediculous fees (29 bucks) per trade if you have less than 50k in your trading account (at which points you pay 9 bucks).

That said if you already bank with RBC you can have everything in one spot and the analysis and what not is good as it the tech support. It's what I personally use though if I was just starting out I would go with a discount broker.

Good article on places to start up here as well....

http://www.theglobea.../article554611/

The number one pick having free trades for a bunch of ETFs would be a super appealing option for a beginner. In fact as much as a might act ra ra on this my boring ETF portfolio is the overwhelming majority of my portfolio and a smarter place to start sniffing around instead of buying individual stocks.

Edited by ronthecivil, 13 December 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#586 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

RBC direct charges rediculous fees (29 bucks) per trade if you have less than 50k in your trading account (at which points you pay 9 bucks).

That said if you already bank with RBC you can have everything in one spot and the analysis and what not is good as it the tech support. It's what I personally use though if I was just starting out I would go with a discount broker.

Good article on places to start up here as well....

http://www.theglobea.../article554611/

The number one pick having free trades for a bunch of ETFs would be a super appealing option for a beginner. In fact as much as a might act ra ra on this my boring ETF portfolio is the overwhelming majority of my portfolio and a smarter place to start sniffing around instead of buying individual stocks.

But with RBC, if you are a student and have signed up for the right student accounts all your fees get waved for as long as your a student and then 5 years once you're done school.
Posted Image

#587 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

But with RBC, if you are a student and have signed up for the right student accounts all your fees get waved for as long as your a student and then 5 years once you're done school.

Don't matter I have a grandfathered free account and you still pay for trades. 29.99 a trade if you have less than 50k in assets and 9.99 if you have more. RBC investing is a different company than royal bank (even if they are both RBC group and trade under RB.TO together).

In fact they consider themselves so different that if you want to qualify for one of their group bundles if you have a TFSA or RRSP account through direct investing they don't count that as having one at Royal Bank! Trust me, I know this, I recently had a big fight with them over this!

#588 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

#589 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

That I can't see any of Peevish's post shows one of the issues with browsing from a BB

#590 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Rim stock dropped 22.15% today.

#591 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Took it up the rim today

#592 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Rim stock dropped 22.15% today.

Its going to get harder and harder to get a RIM job after this.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#593 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,060 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Its going to get harder and harder to get a RIM job after this.

maybe not, with they way it's dropping share holders may be looking at ways to recover their losses. :lol:

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 24 December 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#594 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Posted Image

Definitely getting this one over the all touch screen version.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#595 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Looking at it, I can't believe they didn't decrease the size of the top bezel as that's definitely a waste of screen space. It honestly doesn't look that different from the 9900 minus the trackpad and phone buttons. I'm definitely going to wait it out and see how the market responds to BB10. However just within my friends, most have recently done hardware upgrades to Samsungs or iPhones so none of them will be going back to BB. Hope it works out. I don't know how much I'd be willing to pay to go from the 9900 to the new X10 though.
Posted Image

#596 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

This is RIMs last kick at the can I think, if BB10 doesn't impress overly they will be done quickly. Haven't followed BB10 as close as I used to follow BB before I hoped ship but will look more into them at the end of January when they introduce the new phones.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#597 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

Definitely getting this one over the all touch screen version.

gaaaah I want! I can't wait. I really can't. January 28th is already far away.

Edited by schlaBAM, 17 January 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Posted Image

#598 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I would get a BlackBerry phone buy my last one dissappointed and stopped working so Samsung S4 for me....

#599 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've had my blackberry bold 9700 for 3 and a half years. probably dropped it about 100-200 times, the latter 100 were without case protection.

still works perfectly, trackpad and everything. its treated me well enough to go for the BB 10.

#600 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've had my blackberry bold 9700 for 3 and a half years. probably dropped it about 100-200 times, the latter 100 were without case protection.

still works perfectly, trackpad and everything. its treated me well enough to go for the BB 10.

that's basically the exact same for me, had my 9700 for until last november (2 years, 7 months), and after excessive use everyday, and my battery port ripped out of my phone. Still works perfectly even with OS6 installed (although it's a little slower), so I'll keep it as a backup. Didn't know about the two metal ports at the bottom that can charge your phone as well until I got a 9780 off of usedvictoria which came with a stand-up charger. Will definitely be buying the N-series BB10.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.