948 replies to this topic

#601 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

gaaaah I want! I can't wait. I really can't. January 28th is already far away.

Pre-order! Heck, get one of each kind that way you can experience them both!

#602 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

What I think is going to be awesome is that Blackberry is considered secure enough it looks like you will be able to use it as a visa card. Rather than pulling your card out of your wallet and tapping it will have a way to accept payments by tapping your phone.

I recomend everyone go out and buy one!

#603 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

What I think is going to be awesome is that Blackberry is considered secure enough it looks like you will be able to use it as a visa card. Rather than pulling your card out of your wallet and tapping it will have a way to accept payments by tapping your phone.

I recomend everyone go out and buy one!

Spoken like a true RIM shareholder

wmmkuv.jpg

#604 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Spoken like a true RIM shareholder

With the gains today I am really in black now. Never been so excited for a product launch in my life!

BTW, when I mentioned the payment system I actually do think it's awesome. Making a smartphone that has a chance of replacing my wallet would be the first thing I ever heard that would motivate me to buy one.

#605 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Don't have the money for that. I'm a university student ffs, lol.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#606 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Don't have the money for that. I'm a university student ffs, lol.

Load up the credit cards!

Spoken like a true bank shareholder

You got me there!

(Discloser: He didn't say that, but I figured he would).

#607 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Damn...I almost bought when the shares dipped to $6. Had been watching them for months. But chickened out.

Have been kicking myself ever since.
Posted Image

#608 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Load up the credit cards!

Just maxed out my credit card putting tuition on it! I'm getting the n-series for free regardless, I've been with telus for 12 years (took over my dad's contract when he got a work phone) and have gotten stellar perks for being with them for so long!

Damn...I almost bought when the shares dipped to $6. Had been watching them for months. But chickened out.

I know! Was watching them since about July. I was going to as well, but as I stated earlier I had no idea how to get into the whole stock business. I really wish I did some research now.

Edited by schlaBAM, 18 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

#609 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

They may still be a good buy because they are still way below what their high was. and it looks like the new phone is good and people are excited about it, they could go up and up...

#610 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

They may still be a good buy because they are still way below what their high was. and it looks like the new phone is good and people are excited about it, they could go up and up...

Yup.

I could sell for profit right now but if I do am I simply being fearful of loosing the gains I have (after suffering a year of being in the red!) by selling or am I being greedy for trying to hope for massive gains by holding on?

I personally think I am being logical since the reason I bought it in the first place is I know technophiles are fickle and it doesn't take much to make everyone suddenly decide that the latest gadget is the next great thing. Especially if it can do something really cool like act as a secure payment system.

#611 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just maxed out my credit card putting tuition on it! I'm getting the n-series for free regardless, I've been with telus for 12 years (took over my dad's contract when he got a work phone) and have gotten stellar perks for being with them for so long!

I've been with Telus for 12 years and I've seen no such perks :(

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#612 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I could sell my shares now and profit around $1500, but I never bought it as a short term investment, so I guess I'll just sit her, look pretty, and watch the price rise. :emot-parrot: :towel: :ph34r:
Posted Image

#613 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I've been with Telus for 12 years and I've seen no such perks :(

Talked to the loyalty services lately? I have a My5 with 500mbs data (costs 50 a month) with all the normal things. I still pay that, but now I get 500LD, unlimited local anytime, caller ID, Voicemail 10, voicemail to text, unlimited text, etc. I'm not talking they'll just give me the phone, and because I'll renew my 3 year again, they'll let me off without the offcharge of the phone (I'm assuming itll be at approx 200 on the 3 year) as I'll be at 2yrs and 10 or 11 months so I'll already have good offers as well.

Posted Image

#614 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

8 more days!

Edited by cs2016, 22 January 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#615 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I could sell my shares now and profit around $1500, but I never bought it as a short term investment, so I guess I'll just sit her, look pretty, and watch the price rise. :emot-parrot: :towel: :ph34r:

I am in the money at 13 bucks but have had it at a loss for a long time.

I have already put in an order that if it hits 20 bucks a share to sell a third of my portfolio.

Right now plan is to sell next third at 30 and next at 40 if we ever get there.

Mind you if it turns out it's a flop than I will revise those down.

And if it turns out to be the next great thing and the price skyrockets I might just consider being a bit greedier.

#616 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Well, sometime tomorrow the big announcement will be coming! I'm pretty stoked.

Shareholders, be prepared to see a huge spike in your shares in the next few weeks, lol I'm jealous.

Posted Image

#617 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

Excited for the reveal! I'm a Blackberry LOVER! Can't wait to get my hands on the bb10. Hopefully my contract can be wiggled out of somehow...
Posted Image

#618 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

Kinda interesting how Nexus 4 is suddenly back in stock right before the BB10 is released.

#619 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

RIM no longer exists; replaced by BlackBerry. Live Stream: http://tremolo.edges..._dvr/index.html

#620 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Blackberry for life!

That BB10 looks stunning.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#621 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few tweaks to the UI/OS that will probably be made over the next few months to polish it up some, but that's fine. Hopefully they can keep the app train rolling and get the main missing apps ported over.

There'll be some growing pains with launching an entirely new platform, but give them a year to work out the kinks, let them grow in emerging markets, and let the BB faithful eat up the early sales, and they'll be in good position to launch Q11/Z11 next year sometime.
Moo

#622 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

As noted name change and image re-branding:

Canadian tech company Research in Motion launched a new series Blackberry 10 on January 30, 2013. It also launched a new image. The company announced that it will change its name from Research in Motion to Blackberry. It also introduced pop star Alicia Keys as its global creative director. Social media was filled with instant reaction to Blackberry 10 launch. Some early reviews mocked RIM as an antiquated relic while others were impressed by the company's re-branding.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Blackberry+early+reviews+online+reaction/7894015/story.html#ixzz2JUy8o9B2

And reaction to the announcements. Some glowing but others great but late to the party.
http://gigaom.com/20...campaign=gigaom
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#623 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

And the launch dates for Canada - Z10, a touchscreen model on February 5 and the the BlackBerry Q10, which will have a physical keyboard in April.

Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, SaskTel, Koodo, and Fido are among the carrier partners, while Walmart, Future Shop, Best Buy, and The Source are some of the retail partners.

Canada’s smartphone pioneer will have a new BlackBerry in Canadian stores next Tuesday, the start of a new chapter for a rebranded company that’s seen its once dominant position trounced by the competition.

The BlackBerry Z10, a touchscreen model, will be the first to hit the shelves while the BlackBerry Q10, which will have a physical keyboard, will follow in April — a move that was signalled last year by the company.

Research In Motion (TSX:RIM) made the announcement Wednesday at a splashy unveiling in New York City, where it also let it be known the company will now go by the name BlackBerry.

The new BlackBerry models are widely seen as a make-or-break product for the company — the BlackBerry 10 devices were originally due for release last year.

Chief executive Thorsten Heins took to the stage at Pier 36, a massive entertainment venue on the shores of the East River, to unveil the two phones. Both are powered by the new BB10 operating system.

Heins called the event a “new day in the history of BlackBerry.”

“We heard you loud and clear,” Heins told the audience, in refence to the keyboard model. “We built this for those people who said they just had to have the physical keyboard typing experience.”

Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, SaskTel, Koodo, and Fido are among the carrier partners, while Walmart, Future Shop, Best Buy, and The Source are some of the retail partners.

Canadian specific apps include offerings from the NHL, CBC, Tim Hortons, Air Canada, RBC, and ING Direct.

The new phone launch is BlackBerry’s attempt to regain its position in the highly competitive North American and European smartphone markets, which are now dominated by iPhone and Android devices.

While the first hurdles to overcome are the opinions of tech analysts and investor reaction, the true measure of success — actual sales of the phones — is still weeks away.

Among the features being touted at Wednesday’s event:

— As you type, the operating system predicts what word you want and you can swipe to have it auto-completed.

— BlackBerry Hub acts as one place for all incoming messages, email, BBM, social media.

— BlackBerry Balance then allows one phone to operate as both a business and personal device entirely separate from each other.

— Apps have been divided into two sections by tabs at the top of the screen, labelled Personal and Work.

— The new BlackBerry will also let users seamlessly shift between the phone’s applications like they’re flipping between pages on a desk.

RIM shares had gained as much as four per cent ahead of the launch in Wednesday morning trading. But the stock later fell almost seven per cent from Tuesday’s closing price, down $1.08 to $14.63 on the TSX following the start of the presentation.

Trading volume was heavy — 14.3 million shares traded hands before noon.

The stock had declined over the past two sessions — 3.4 per cent Tuesday and a 7.6 per cent drop on Monday.

But that was viewed merely as profit taking as the stock has staged a huge comeback since hitting a fresh 52-week low of $6.10 last September. As of last Friday, RIM’s share price had soared 50 per cent during January alone.

The BlackBerry has dramatically lost marketshare in recent years after a series of blunders.

Several network outages left customers without the use of the smartphones they had come to rely on, while the BlackBerry’s hardware hadn’t received a significant upgrade in years.

In the coming weeks, BlackBerry will launch an advertising blitz to promote the phones, including aggressive social media campaigning, which includes plugs from celebrities on their Twitter accounts, and a 30-second advertisement on the Super Bowl, the most watched television program of the year.
http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2JV1b1R6d
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#624 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

No physical keyboard until April? What is this horses***? I was expecting sometime in February. I've been waiting since last April ffs. Starting to get fed up.

Posted Image

#625 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

No physical keyboard until April? What is this horses***? I was expecting sometime in February. I've been waiting since last April ffs. Starting to get fed up.

April is earlier than I expected. Last I heard the keyboard version wasn't supposed to be out til June.

And just in time for my contract. It expires in March 2014 (but I can switch to new contract, new phone in November 2013 with no penalty) so that should give RIM/BlackBerry plenty of time to work out the bugs. :)

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#626 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Never paid attention to how much the new iPhone and Android phones cost when they were first released, but $149.99 on a 3 year plan seems expensive for a company trying to win users back.

wmmkuv.jpg

#627 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Never paid attention to how much the new iPhone and Android phones cost when they were first released, but $149.99 on a 3 year plan seems expensive for a company trying to win users back.

iPhone 5 is $179.99 on a 3 year with Bell. Galaxy Note II is 149.99.
Moo

#628 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

You can get a nexus 4 for $309 without contract and unlocked. That is the top of the line phone and has the fastest processor in the market.

Posted Image

#629 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Finally have my first BB problem. I have the Bold 9900. When you're calling someone, does anybody else get this thing where it for whatever reason goes to speaker, and won't go back to handset despite me pressing on the speaker button? I have to do a reboot or whatnot to fix it, but it'll occur once in a while now. When I receive calls, I can hear them talking, but when I speak, apparently nothing goes through my end to their end.

Anybody else have this problem or know some kind of fix or something?

#630 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

You can get a nexus 4 for $309 without contract and unlocked. That is the top of the line phone and has the fastest processor in the market.

But the Z10 is still faster because Blackberry 10 is a more powerful OS.

As for the launch its self, I was rather disappointed at first, I thought the launch was over hyped and under sold. I was 100% expecting for Instagram and Netflix to be announced, but thought there was no way Skype would find its way until much, much later on. Personally, I don't care about Instagram or Netflix (although I know a lot of people will), but I really wanted Skype, so I'm happy with that.

I was disappointed because not only did they not show off anything new, but also didn't show the things which I already knew about that would be strong selling points, such as having the best browser.

I later realized that the launch event was exactly that, a launch event. They showed what anyone following the days leading up to event knew and found rather dull, but for the general public, who hadn't seen any of it, it makes sense to give them the basic stuff, and let the TV ads, and reviewers inform the people of the other goodies.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.