The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few tweaks to the UI/OS that will probably be made over the next few months to polish it up some, but that's fine. Hopefully they can keep the app train rolling and get the main missing apps ported over.

There'll be some growing pains with launching an entirely new platform, but give them a year to work out the kinks, let them grow in emerging markets, and let the BB faithful eat up the early sales, and they'll be in good position to launch Q11/Z11 next year sometime.

As noted name change and image re-branding:

Canadian tech company Research in Motion launched a new series Blackberry 10 on January 30, 2013. It also launched a new image. The company announced that it will change its name from Research in Motion to Blackberry. It also introduced pop star Alicia Keys as its global creative director. Social media was filled with instant reaction to Blackberry 10 launch. Some early reviews mocked RIM as an antiquated relic while others were impressed by the company's re-branding.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Blackberry+early+reviews+online+reaction/7894015/story.html#ixzz2JUy8o9B2

And reaction to the announcements. Some glowing but others great but late to the party.

http://gigaom.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-10-smartphone-launch-gets-a-few-cheers-a-bunch-of-jeers-and-a-lot-of-meh/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=gigaom

And the launch dates for Canada - Z10, a touchscreen model on February 5 and the the BlackBerry Q10, which will have a physical keyboard in April.

Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, SaskTel, Koodo, and Fido are among the carrier partners, while Walmart, Future Shop, Best Buy, and The Source are some of the retail partners.

Canada’s smartphone pioneer will have a new BlackBerry in Canadian stores next Tuesday, the start of a new chapter for a rebranded company that’s seen its once dominant position trounced by the competition.

The BlackBerry Z10, a touchscreen model, will be the first to hit the shelves while the BlackBerry Q10, which will have a physical keyboard, will follow in April — a move that was signalled last year by the company.

Research In Motion (TSX:RIM) made the announcement Wednesday at a splashy unveiling in New York City, where it also let it be known the company will now go by the name BlackBerry.

The new BlackBerry models are widely seen as a make-or-break product for the company — the BlackBerry 10 devices were originally due for release last year.

Chief executive Thorsten Heins took to the stage at Pier 36, a massive entertainment venue on the shores of the East River, to unveil the two phones. Both are powered by the new BB10 operating system.

Heins called the event a “new day in the history of BlackBerry.”

“We heard you loud and clear,” Heins told the audience, in refence to the keyboard model. “We built this for those people who said they just had to have the physical keyboard typing experience.”

Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, SaskTel, Koodo, and Fido are among the carrier partners, while Walmart, Future Shop, Best Buy, and The Source are some of the retail partners.

Canadian specific apps include offerings from the NHL, CBC, Tim Hortons, Air Canada, RBC, and ING Direct.

The new phone launch is BlackBerry’s attempt to regain its position in the highly competitive North American and European smartphone markets, which are now dominated by iPhone and Android devices.

While the first hurdles to overcome are the opinions of tech analysts and investor reaction, the true measure of success — actual sales of the phones — is still weeks away.

Among the features being touted at Wednesday’s event:

— As you type, the operating system predicts what word you want and you can swipe to have it auto-completed.

— BlackBerry Hub acts as one place for all incoming messages, email, BBM, social media.

— BlackBerry Balance then allows one phone to operate as both a business and personal device entirely separate from each other.

— Apps have been divided into two sections by tabs at the top of the screen, labelled Personal and Work.

— The new BlackBerry will also let users seamlessly shift between the phone’s applications like they’re flipping between pages on a desk.

RIM shares had gained as much as four per cent ahead of the launch in Wednesday morning trading. But the stock later fell almost seven per cent from Tuesday’s closing price, down $1.08 to $14.63 on the TSX following the start of the presentation.

Trading volume was heavy — 14.3 million shares traded hands before noon.

The stock had declined over the past two sessions — 3.4 per cent Tuesday and a 7.6 per cent drop on Monday.

But that was viewed merely as profit taking as the stock has staged a huge comeback since hitting a fresh 52-week low of $6.10 last September. As of last Friday, RIM’s share price had soared 50 per cent during January alone.

The BlackBerry has dramatically lost marketshare in recent years after a series of blunders.

Several network outages left customers without the use of the smartphones they had come to rely on, while the BlackBerry’s hardware hadn’t received a significant upgrade in years.

In the coming weeks, BlackBerry will launch an advertising blitz to promote the phones, including aggressive social media campaigning, which includes plugs from celebrities on their Twitter accounts, and a 30-second advertisement on the Super Bowl, the most watched television program of the year.

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/personal-tech/touchscreen+BlackBerry+available+Canada/7893193/story.html#ixzz2JV1b1R6d

No physical keyboard until April? What is this horses***? I was expecting sometime in February. I've been waiting since last April ffs. Starting to get fed up.

April is earlier than I expected. Last I heard the keyboard version wasn't supposed to be out til June.

And just in time for my contract. It expires in March 2014 (but I can switch to new contract, new phone in November 2013 with no penalty) so that should give RIM/BlackBerry plenty of time to work out the bugs. :)

Never paid attention to how much the new iPhone and Android phones cost when they were first released, but $149.99 on a 3 year plan seems expensive for a company trying to win users back.

iPhone 5 is $179.99 on a 3 year with Bell. Galaxy Note II is 149.99.

Never paid attention to how much the new iPhone and Android phones cost when they were first released, but $149.99 on a 3 year plan seems expensive for a company trying to win users back.

You can get a nexus 4 for $309 without contract and unlocked. That is the top of the line phone and has the fastest processor in the market.

Finally have my first BB problem. I have the Bold 9900. When you're calling someone, does anybody else get this thing where it for whatever reason goes to speaker, and won't go back to handset despite me pressing on the speaker button? I have to do a reboot or whatnot to fix it, but it'll occur once in a while now. When I receive calls, I can hear them talking, but when I speak, apparently nothing goes through my end to their end.

Anybody else have this problem or know some kind of fix or something?

You can get a nexus 4 for $309 without contract and unlocked. That is the top of the line phone and has the fastest processor in the market.

But the Z10 is still faster because Blackberry 10 is a more powerful OS.

As for the launch its self, I was rather disappointed at first, I thought the launch was over hyped and under sold. I was 100% expecting for Instagram and Netflix to be announced, but thought there was no way Skype would find its way until much, much later on. Personally, I don't care about Instagram or Netflix (although I know a lot of people will), but I really wanted Skype, so I'm happy with that.

I was disappointed because not only did they not show off anything new, but also didn't show the things which I already knew about that would be strong selling points, such as having the best browser.

I later realized that the launch event was exactly that, a launch event. They showed what anyone following the days leading up to event knew and found rather dull, but for the general public, who hadn't seen any of it, it makes sense to give them the basic stuff, and let the TV ads, and reviewers inform the people of the other goodies.

Iphone user here.

did as much reserach as I can on the z10. Read reviews as much as I can.

But give credit were it's due. One hell of a phone. You can also run android apps, which makes it that much better.

The advantage right now, is, it's Blackbery with their operating system. It's nice and simple to use, thats what I like. Looks like one heck of an operating system also. Would have totally consider this phone if I didn't get an iphone for Christmas.

Someone said it's too pricey? I this this is their flagship phone. So they will release cheaper versions of their phones running bb10.

Finally have my first BB problem. I have the Bold 9900. When you're calling someone, does anybody else get this thing where it for whatever reason goes to speaker, and won't go back to handset despite me pressing on the speaker button? I have to do a reboot or whatnot to fix it, but it'll occur once in a while now. When I receive calls, I can hear them talking, but when I speak, apparently nothing goes through my end to their end.

Anybody else have this problem or know some kind of fix or something?

Did you accidentally press the mute button?

Hey guys, I have a bold 9900 and my school just switched to using Zimbra email for our student emails. Do any experts know how to get my student email connected to my BB? I looked it up and it says to use something called ZCB ? zimbra collaboration or something but there's nothing of that sort on app world :S

Did you accidentally press the mute button?

No, ugh. I don't know why it happens.

Hey guys, I have a bold 9900 and my school just switched to using Zimbra email for our student emails. Do any experts know how to get my student email connected to my BB? I looked it up and it says to use something called ZCB ? zimbra collaboration or something but there's nothing of that sort on app world :S

http://www.zimbra.com/products/blackberry-enterprise-server.html

http://forums.crackberry.com/general-discussion-f2/how-configure-zimbra-mail-my-blackberry-621346/

Don't know if those help, have a look see. Might have ran into those already if you tried some searching online. Hopefully they help though.

No, ugh. I don't know why it happens.

http://www.zimbra.co...ise-server.html

http://forums.crackb...ckberry-621346/

Don't know if those help, have a look see. Might have ran into those already if you tried some searching online. Hopefully they help though.

I did come across those but I don't know what they mean :( whats blackberry enterprise? is it free? how do I get it? Im running OS 7 on 9900

I did come across those but I don't know what they mean :( whats blackberry enterprise? is it free? how do I get it? Im running OS 7 on 9900

BlackBerry Enterprise is for connecting your BlackBerry to a business/work place. If the company you work for supports this, talk to the IT Admin.

Have you tried both POP/IMAP and Outlook (I think they are the only two available in the set-up) options? Some schools don't set up their email accounts for push e-mail. I emailed IT for both BCIT and Langara, and both of them don't have that option enabled yet. Ask your school's IT admin.

Archived