The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

If Cody is healthy then he has a real shot at beating out not just other prospects but some of the vetrans on the

team. Shirokov and Schroeder are in exactly the same position. I think all three will come to camp really really

hungry for a spot. Gillis has done a really good job of assembling a team. Some really good players are going to

have good training camps and not make the team!

Ya ever heard of a "period"? It goes well with sentences. Ya might wanna try one out some time.

Oh, and you think my "opinion is weak"? Well that means, that in your world, "weak" means you get a hell of a lot more little green (+) signs than little red (-) signs next to your original posts. Thanks for clarifying that.

And if you actually follow the Canucks, you might have heard Gillis' press conference on July 1st, TO EVERY AVAILABLE MEDIA OUTLET, that he "spoke with Manny about not only playing C, but perhaps playing the wing with a young centre". Look, "ccc44", I know why Malholtra was signed here, and yes, he'll be our 3rd line C, and top PKer. But Schroeder has shown what he can do at Centre as well, as it's his NATURAL POSITION, and in case you haven't noticed, you don't have to be too big to be a Centre in this league anymore! Plus, he showed himself to be a lot better suited for the AHL than Hodgson, and he's shown that he was dangerous EVERY TIME he touched the puck,.. something that Hodgson hasn't done beyond juniors. It's why Schroeder didn't have a great season at College last year...he knew he was too good for that level of hockey, and he probably couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he's ready to make the next step to pros...which he did!

Hodgson's numbers on the Moose: 2G 4A 6P in 11 Playoff games. Not terrible for being thrown into the fire during a long playoff run, but not overly impressive either.

Schroeder's numbers on the Moose: 4G 5 A 9P in 11 Reg Season games (end of the year, "push to the playoffs" type hockey) And 3G 6P in 6 Playoff games. And I'll re-itterate,...Schroeder looked DANGEROUS in doing it.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

I hope Schroeder makes the team actually. In a sense it would make way more sense!!! HODGSON could go ot the Moose to traiN! could come up for an injury if it occurs. But Schroeder is for sure more of a benefit to our team. I actually could see him playing with Kesler and Raymond on the RW in a couple of games, if not on a regular basis. THat would be like the speed line we saw before. and Kesler, he makes players improve, and he would be a great young roll model for Schroeder, especially that they're both American, picked 22nd overall, and loved Minny when they were younger. lol. I find Hodgson's passion is a bit gone, he expects to make the lineup, but as every person in hockey tells ya: you have to earn your spot first, we'll see what happens when the time comes.

Third line of Malhotra-Hodgson-Schroeder... might be a bit small to my liking..

Then again... with burrows injured... maybe one of Hodgson or Schroeder can slot into the top 6.

Well this so called rookie "Midget" was way better then Hodgson during his pro stint.

I can't believe this post made it to +27, what is wrong with kids. You don't know who will make it, and you don't know the kind of training Cody is doing. So why don't we wait these 2 and a half months and see what goes down. I'm excited for both of these kids but how about we watch them play first at the same level and then decide.

k Thnx

And why was he better.

Because Cody had a broken back that's why.

Jordan is a heckuva player. I watched him a few games out in Abbotsford.

Lets be realistic though, Cody has gone through some injury trouble, and most notably during his time trying out for the team here so don't sell him short.

When he was ON, he also was racking up similar point totals to Jordan for the Moose.

If both are healthy and capable, bring them in!

Maybe since Burrows is out for a while, Hodgson could get a shot with the Sedins? He can shoot, pass and has very high hockey IQ, plus playing alongside the Sedins may allow him to see how to cope in the NHL with lightening fast speed. The Sedins don't have great wheels, but they get the job done...

Archived