The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

so.... Jordan Schreder is uproven because he played very few games for the Moose and has no NHL experience, but Hodgson is going to excel in the NHL because he had played very few games for the Moose, end up getting less points total with more game played than Schroeder, and has no NHL experience??

wow... this is so biased i don't even know where to start...

the only disadvantage Schroeder has is his size, but he got enough speed and skill to cover that weakness.. This isn't the old NHL anymore, not everyone needs size to excel in the NHL....On the other hand, Jordan had been at the pace of point per game while Hodgson has almost stop playing hockey for one whole year.... I wonder who gets more chance.

do you want me to mention how he's treating the canucks management like he wants nothing to do with us since he failed to make the team?

Hodgson has potiential and i am looking forward to see him in the future, but there is ZERO reason to give him a free pass because he was a pretty good player at the junior level...Some people here actually treat him like the next big thing in the NHL when he literally shown nothing since we drafted him... this is absurd..

Jordan Schroeder is 5' 8" tall and 175 lbs......and he is going to beat out Hodgeson for a starting spot? MG stated that he wanted the 3rd and 4th lines to be bigger this year...Schroeder does not fit that description. As skilled as he is, I am reading comments about what a proven player he is....hello...he played a very few games for the Moose and has no NHL experience....nada. A few of you are suffering from a case of wishful thinking.

Cody Hodgeson has been a winner at every level so far and if healthy, he will excell in the NHL. The only way Schroeder is going to beat out Cody is if Cody is still injured. As small as Schroeder is, I think the only reason they would play him is to up his trade value. The guy is just to small.

wow your out to lunch... Hodgson hasnt done anything since we drafter him? Naw your right , Starring in the worlds and winning the scoring title , playing pp,pk, fist unit on both and winning gold isnt much...

winning CHL player of the year ? do i even have to get into this?

Wow, some of you anti-Hodgson idiots are WAY out to lunch. Saying he's me-first and spoiled and such; that's the polar opposite of his true character and you have nothing to back it up except from a bit of questionable reporting and out of context statements. Meanwhile every other article ever written about him is how great of a person he is - on and off the ice - how team focused he is, and how great of a leader he is. Quit your douchebaggery and just let him try to make the team in peace.

As for Schroeder, he has plenty of hype, and deservedly so. They are both going to be great players for this organization, so stop with your judgmental elitist bullcrap and just shut up and drink your kool-aid for 3 more months and watch/cheer for both of them to make the team, which is the most likely outcome.

Wow, some of you anti-Hodgson idiots are WAY out to lunch. Saying he's me-first and spoiled and such; that's the polar opposite of his true character and you have nothing to back it up except from a bit of questionable reporting and out of context statements. Meanwhile every other article ever written about him is how great of a person he is - on and off the ice - how team focused he is, and how great of a leader he is. Quit your douchebaggery and just let him try to make the team in peace.

As for Schroeder, he has plenty of hype, and deservedly so. They are both going to be great players for this organization, so stop with your judgmental elitist bullcrap and just shut up and drink your kool-aid for 3 more months and watch/cheer for both of them to make the team, which is the most likely outcome.

Cody Hodgson pisses me royally off. You're a rookie dude. Show up at rookie stuff. The World does not belong to you, you are but a mere prospect. You have to PROVE you belong. Nothing is given to you on a silver plate.

Show up at training camp ya bastard.

If either of them make it, it would be great. even for some nhl experience. IMO we are fortunate to have the luxury of having the choice wether to play them on the Nux or the moose. IT would suck if we were like other teams (laffs, Isles, coilers) and we were forced to play green horn rookies cause of mismanagement from above. I am looking forward to seeing them light it up for years to come!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Wow, some of you anti-Hodgson idiots are WAY out to lunch. Saying he's me-first and spoiled and such; that's the polar opposite of his true character and you have nothing to back it up except from a bit of questionable reporting and out of context statements.

Well when he was getting drafted to the OHL he refused to report to certain teams and held out like Lindros to make that happen. So yes there is evidence he's selfish and he does have a history of shunning teams.

I bet both will make the team, simply because Burrows will most likely will start the year on the LTIR. This would leave an opening in the top 6

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Sammuelson

Raymond - Kesler - ___________..

This would allow them both to get some experience not only as a 3rd liner but a top 6.

Then when Burrows comes back, the one who has played better or more consistently wins the spot.

To the argument of Schroeder did more in the AHL than COHO... well take this into account.

Schroeder walked into a depleted Moose room. Due to injuries and call ups Schroeder was forced into the line up at a faster rate.

He also played, 44 games before joining the moose

Cody joined a stacked Moose team during the playoffs when they were expected to win. He was eased into the lineup as a 4th liner and worked his way up, He also played 81 games before joining the moose. almost double.

Either way i can't waittowel.gif

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

<br />I fully agree. The facts are the facts. I'll even go as far to say that Cody Hodgson has to deal with is ego before he's moves up to the Canucks. The way last seasons training camp was handled showed me he's got some growing up to do. He needs to shed the I'm entitled attitude. More than anything his lack of trust in the Canucks concerned me. The Vancouver Canucks want this guy to succeed. They have the best medical staff you can find. It's just the way he conducted himself. Sure he's entitled to another opinion. It makes sense. I have no problem with that. It's how it was done. I feel he slapped the Canucks in the face and ran off to mommy so to speak. Cody you're not in Junior any more. You're not the top of the pile any more. You're just a prospect with lots of competition. The biggest flaw is the ego. <br />On the other hand Jordan Schroeder keeps doing what is asked of him. Working hard and flying under the radar. I watched him last year several times playing for the Moose. This kid is cool and calm. He seems to know where he is and why he's there. The guy is a work hole. He's not big. He's not small. He's very illusive WITHOUT the puck. To me he looked fast but he was playing on the minor level. That said in my opinion he could keep up in the NHL. He seemed like he knew when to get going and where to go. I wouldn't bet on him not making the Canucks, lets put it that way.

Cody has the farest thing away from an ego, he was smart to get a third opion.

Who said they have the best medical staff you can find, It's obvious they don't or Cody's back would not have gotten worse under thier care and advise to return to play. Cody isn't the only player they cleared to play, who was not ready; Demitra was not ready. Two big mistake in one year does not look good.

Archived