The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

_Kick_Save_

Happily had my Galaxy SII for about a year now.

In that time I've had only a couple of complaints and one significant issue, mostly battery related.

The battery gets eaten quickly (I use the phone a lot for battery-intensive things though... like as a wireless modem while I am on a ship - I got 6gb through Virgin when it was available.) I solved this by getting the extended Mugen Power battery... I've never run out of power at an inconvenient time since.

The issue I had was with the charging of the unit with the original battery. It burned through battery and would not charge completely or properly. It gave me a "Charging Paused - Voltage Too High" message every 30 seconds... even though it wasn't plugged into anything. And no, I never fooled around with firmware or flashed or unlocked etc, etc the device. I was ready to send the unit to Samsung when the issue just went away after a couple of weeks... then I replaced the battery anyway.

What are your thoughts on the Latitude app on the android phones?? Location based app which tells your friends or partners where you are at any given time. I'm kind of iffy on this app. My girlfriend wants me to use it with her, & I feel like I have no privacy with this, it is not like I am trying to hide anything, not at all, but she can watch where i go when i go...........

What are your thoughts on the Latitude app on the android phones?? Location based app which tells your friends or partners where you are at any given time. I'm kind of iffy on this app. My girlfriend wants me to use it with her, & I feel like I have no privacy with this, it is not like I am trying to hide anything, not at all, but she can watch where i go when i go...........

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy S II tomorrow at Rogers. What do you guys think?

I realize the S III came out not too long ago but I don't like the look of the phone. It's too round for my liking and probably to large to fit in my pocket.

• 1 month later...

*bumpity bump*

This seems like a good place to pose this question.

So my contract with Telus is coming up and I'm looking to graduate from my blackberry pearl flip. It was a great little phone, no complaints really. I really don't care too much about having the latest and greatest technology but I do like having the internet and e-mail on my phone so that's why I'm looking at another smartphone.

So what are some suggestions for a good entry-level smartphone? Ideally I'd like something that's small, has decent battery life and is generally good quality (ie. is not going to crap out on me in a year.) I pretty much use my phone for phone, text, e-mail, GPS and occasional internet browsing so I'm not looking for anything really fancy. Right now based on reviews I've read I'm leaning to a Sony Xperia U. Of course that means I have to adapt to a touchscreen (bah) but I figure I'll have to eventually anyways unless I stick with blackberry, which is also an option.

Please don't tell me to get an i-phone or a Samsung Galaxy SIII or another one of those high-end super-phones. Like I said, I'm not that big on technology so I will never ever use all the features those phones have. It would be a huge waste of money for me. Oh yah, should also mention I would like to buy the phone outright so I don't have to commit to another contract. Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

Please don't tell me to get an i-phone or a Samsung Galaxy SIII or another one of those high-end super-phones. Like I said, I'm not that big on technology so I will never ever use all the features those phones have. It would be a huge waste of money for me.

Archived