The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

_Kick_Save_

Usually warranties only relate to products that have a hardware or software malfunction through basic use. With water damage sometimes you can get away with it and just play dumb (claim it stopped working and not know why) but in MOST phones there's a little strip on the inside that changes colors when it gets wet. If it gets sent to the manufacturer and they discover it's water damage then you're usually out of luck. Regardless, never hurts to try.

As for Virgin, yes it will work on Virgin as long as you upgrade your account to the HSPA network (uses sim cards). I believe Virgin has the old CDMA network in place (no sims), but you can usually swap that over really easily (may have a $10-20 fee though + have to buy the sim card).

Thanks alot for the reply.

There is a strip on my battery, it just turned pink. Ill try for sure to get a replacement phone or battery at the very least as soon as I go back home.

So How would that switch occur? How would I know if the Iphone I buy isn't for the new network? I hope it isn't a difficult switch or anything.

Waiting on Wind (WoW) myself, but for different reasons. I hate how they're on a different spectrum for a network, on top of that their network coverage is still pretty weak. Have you seen the maps so far?

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

Click "Show Legend" and zoom into the lower mainland. This is all user-uploaded data so it's not complete yet, but it shows quite a few areas of choppy signals.

I'm also surprised you don't just snag a T-Mobile unlocked Android device off ebay.

Anyways, when you make the swap gives us a heads up on how it is. :D

There may be an internal strip as well beyond the battery, to a point where you'd have to remove some screws to see it (removing screws = voids warranty). It really all depends on the phone.

Switch from CDMA to HSPA? I'd say just drop by a Virgin location, tell them your intentions, they'll charge you for a SIM card and MAY have a fee to transfer between networks. The process should take 10 mins or so, but once you have it done you just plug the sim into a compatible phone and you're set.

For future reference, sim cards store all your contacts information in them and are unique to your account. Meaning all the phone numbers are saved to it so when you insert the card into another phone all the contacts get downloaded to the phone + your phone number "moves" to that phone. Long story short, less hassle.

As for the iPhone, simply make sure the phone is unlocked. All iPhones are compatible with all networks in Canada except Wind / Public Mobile / Moblicity.

I finally found my phone!!!!

Samsung Galaxy S

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478.php

gsmarena_001.jpg

Key features

* Quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support

* 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA support

* 4" 16M-color Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WVGA (480 x 800 pixel) resolution

* Android OS v2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI customization

* 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird CPU; 512 MB of RAM

* 5 MP autofocus camera with face, smile and blink detection

* 720p HD video recording at 30fps

* Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g and n support

* GPS with A-GPS connectivity; Digital compass

* 8/16GB internal storage, microSD slot

* Accelerometer and proximity sensor

* Standard 3.5 mm audio jack

* microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v3.0

* Stereo FM radio with RDS

* 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery