Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
292 replies to this topic

#271 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

OK, I did dial down some settings to save battery life--I'll play with it and see how bad I want this preloaded crap gone or not...

Now--apps. What are the no brainer must haves. What are the just for craps and giggles fun ones. Recommendations?

Google Skymap is a fun little app to have. You go outside on a clear night..point your phone towards a star and it'll shoe you the constellations surrounding you, and the locations of the other planets in the solar system.

I wasn't able to finish my earlier thought about customization. Android phones can be customized to your hearts content. Don't like Samsung's touchwhiz interface? Download and use Go Launcher for a different experience. Wanna customize your lock screen in ways you didn't think were possible? Download Widgetlocker ($1.99).

Android Forums is a great message board community for Android users, and each phone has its own subforum. Here's the one for Galaxy s 2

http://androidforums...sung-galaxy-s2/

You'll be able to share tips and tricks with other users of your phone...
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#272 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

I prefer my nexus S :P
Posted Image

#273 JE14

JE14

Entitled Anarchist Goat King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

I was wondering if the Samsung S Galaxy Fascinate 4g is a good phone to go after? I'm okay going with Androids, smarts, or Blackberrys just no iPhones(too pricey). Can anyone tell me a phone like the Galaxy 4g but maybe better?

Also what will be the average deal for a 4g phone? Oh yeah it has to be 4g.

Posted Image

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

#274 JE14

JE14

Entitled Anarchist Goat King

• Members
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

Bump

Posted Image

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

#275 Dorkey

Dorkey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

I was wondering if the Samsung S Galaxy Fascinate 4g is a good phone to go after? I'm okay going with Androids, smarts, or Blackberrys just no iPhones(too pricey). Can anyone tell me a phone like the Galaxy 4g but maybe better?

Also what will be the average deal for a 4g phone? Oh yeah it has to be 4g.

Contract or not, the latest 4G 'super phones' are all priced in the same range. Whether or not a deal is good depends on your plan.

I'd grab the SGS2 (:

#276 DontTouchMeGuys

DontTouchMeGuys

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

I recently bought an Iphone 4 and start using it right away. I had some important voice memos in there. I wanted to transfer the contacts from my old iphone to my new iphone. So I did that, and it said the sync failed and the phone had to be restored. So now when I look at my phone, my new voice memos are gone. Is there any way I can recover this information?

Thanks

#277 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,533 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Try restoring again, and set up the phone with a backup.
Posted Image

#278 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

bieksa3 whos the guy in your sig , i like his jersey . its the front of the CHI native indian Posted Image
Posted Image

#279 DontTouchMeGuys

DontTouchMeGuys

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Try restoring again, and set up the phone with a backup.

Thanks, but what do you mean by set up the phone with a backup?

#280 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,533 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

bieksa3 whos the guy in your sig , i like his jersey . its the front of the CHI native indian Posted Image

Henrik Tommernes.

Thanks, but what do you mean by set up the phone with a backup?

It'll ask you whether to set it up as a new iPhone or use a backup.
Posted Image

#281 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

What are your thoughts on the Latitude app on the android phones?? Location based app which tells your friends or partners where you are at any given time. I'm kind of iffy on this app. My girlfriend wants me to use it with her, & I feel like I have no privacy with this, it is not like I am trying to hide anything, not at all, but she can watch where i go when i go...........

#282 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Happily had my Galaxy SII for about a year now.

In that time I've had only a couple of complaints and one significant issue, mostly battery related.

The battery gets eaten quickly (I use the phone a lot for battery-intensive things though... like as a wireless modem while I am on a ship - I got 6gb through Virgin when it was available.) I solved this by getting the extended Mugen Power battery... I've never run out of power at an inconvenient time since.

The issue I had was with the charging of the unit with the original battery. It burned through battery and would not charge completely or properly. It gave me a "Charging Paused - Voltage Too High" message every 30 seconds... even though it wasn't plugged into anything. And no, I never fooled around with firmware or flashed or unlocked etc, etc the device. I was ready to send the unit to Samsung when the issue just went away after a couple of weeks... then I replaced the battery anyway.

What are your thoughts on the Latitude app on the android phones?? Location based app which tells your friends or partners where you are at any given time. I'm kind of iffy on this app. My girlfriend wants me to use it with her, & I feel like I have no privacy with this, it is not like I am trying to hide anything, not at all, but she can watch where i go when i go...........

I specifically didn't set up this app on my phone for privacy reasons.

Edited by YaK, 01 August 2012 - 01:30 AM.

Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#283 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well it's under your control. If you have the power control widget out, just tap the GPS icon to toggle off and on.

Posted Image

#284 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hate blackberry so annoying need a new phone..
GO Canucks GO

#285 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X are probably the best phones out there

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#286 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X are probably the best phones out there

Probably? Easily the best phones out there. That will last for 2 months at most, then something better will come along.

#287 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Probably? Easily the best phones out there. That will last for 2 months at most, then something better will come along.

When is the iPhone 5 coming out?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#288 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy S II tomorrow at Rogers. What do you guys think?

I realize the S III came out not too long ago but I don't like the look of the phone. It's too round for my liking and probably to large to fit in my pocket.
Posted Image

#289 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

I'm planning on getting a Galaxy S II tomorrow at Rogers. What do you guys think?

I realize the S III came out not too long ago but I don't like the look of the phone. It's too round for my liking and probably to large to fit in my pocket.

I'd rather get the SGS3. It's better in every single way. There's literally no competition.

Posted Image

#290 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

*bumpity bump*

This seems like a good place to pose this question.

So my contract with Telus is coming up and I'm looking to graduate from my blackberry pearl flip. It was a great little phone, no complaints really. I really don't care too much about having the latest and greatest technology but I do like having the internet and e-mail on my phone so that's why I'm looking at another smartphone.

So what are some suggestions for a good entry-level smartphone? Ideally I'd like something that's small, has decent battery life and is generally good quality (ie. is not going to crap out on me in a year.) I pretty much use my phone for phone, text, e-mail, GPS and occasional internet browsing so I'm not looking for anything really fancy. Right now based on reviews I've read I'm leaning to a Sony Xperia U. Of course that means I have to adapt to a touchscreen (bah) but I figure I'll have to eventually anyways unless I stick with blackberry, which is also an option.

Please don't tell me to get an i-phone or a Samsung Galaxy SIII or another one of those high-end super-phones. Like I said, I'm not that big on technology so I will never ever use all the features those phones have. It would be a huge waste of money for me. Oh yah, should also mention I would like to buy the phone outright so I don't have to commit to another contract. Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks!
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#291 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Like you said, you could stay with BlackBerry and get the Bold 9900/9790. Those both run on OS7, but if you want to, you can hang on until next year and get the new BlackBerry10 phones.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#292 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Like you said, you could stay with BlackBerry and get the Bold 9900/9790. Those both run on OS7, but if you want to, you can hang on until next year and get the new BlackBerry10 phones.

I'm one of those people who thinks that since BB10 is going to make or brake RIM, they are going to put together a hell of an OS and match it up with some solid hardware. But then again, I'm kind of a fan boy.
Posted Image

#293 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Please don't tell me to get an i-phone or a Samsung Galaxy SIII or another one of those high-end super-phones. Like I said, I'm not that big on technology so I will never ever use all the features those phones have. It would be a huge waste of money for me.

Fine, SII then.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.