The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

_Kick_Save_

It's being released on Friday at the Apple Store.

Yeah, it's being released on July 30th. I don't see the point in spending hundreds of dollars extra just to get something a few days earlier then someone else.

Actually I complimented the 3GS.

To say the 9700 is the pinnacle of the BB line doesn't necessarily say much. It's like saying my turd looks better than yours. In the end though, it's just a pile of sh**. I'd like to love Blackberry, but with crap like the Storm-line, the redundant Bold-esque devices, and the morbidly outdated OS, it's hard to support the canucks. They need to innovate as they're losing marketshare rather quickly.

Anyways, best phones in my eyes,

Nexus One (Froyo + Wildly supported by Google, still has high end specs even after a year).

EVO (Sprint only, so no real point in discussing).

Dell Streak (Now if only it had Froyo, but regardless high specs -- can double as a tablet).

iPhone 4: While I'd never recommend getting it except to re-sell, it's still a top end phone.

Out of everything I've listed though, only the EVO is worth 3-year contracting into because it's 4G compatible, albeit WiMax. Regardless, that means jack to us in Canada.

On the horizon though (within 4 months)...

Nexus Two

Next widescreen Palm device (webOS = best mobile operating system hands down. Palm just released a software kit that allows iPhone app developers to port their apps over too).

Windows Mobile 7 phones (basically a Zune-phone).

Nexus One is dead. Google isn't selling them anymore.

HTC EVO 4G won't work in Canada.

Nexus Two? What? Where'd you hear this? Google isn't going to sell another phone.

Palm got bought by HP, so you mean next widescreen HP device...

I'd like to see if Motorola makes a GSM version of the DroidX...

Take care to remove all your personal information before recycling your cell phone - re-cyclers are supposed to do it by law but apparently not always:

Telus is investigating a possible privacy breach after it appears that one of its dealers re-issued a cell phone turned in for recycling.

Jacquie Sali dropped off an old cell phone at an authorized Telus dealer for recycling in April.

Three days later, someone called to say they'd found the phone at a local grocery store, with her home phone number and all her contacts still in it.

"I never expected to see this phone ever again," Sali told CTV News. "I was very shocked that a phone that I had returned for recycling was out there in the community, unbeknownst to me."

Telus spokesman Chris Gerritsen said that the company does not allow its dealers to re-issue recycled phones.

"We are taking this extremely seriously and we share her concerns, of course. The investigation is continuing on and there is still work to be done," he said.

Gerritsen added that employee error is likely to blame for the lapse in security -- Telus policy requires dealers to erase all personal info before phones are sent off to be recycled.

B.C.'s Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham told CTV News that companies are required by law to securely destroy all personal information that comes into their possession.

She said that her office will contact both Telus and the dealer to see how they are handling the situation.

The website recyclemycell.ca recommends that consumers wipe all private data from their own phones before recycling.

The site has instructions for clearing all makes and models of phones.

I'm waiting for WIND to get a decent Android phone and then I'm dropping Rogers and moving to WIND. I hate how Rogers completely over charges and comes in with a company like Chat-r and shows how much stuff is really worth to them. It pretty much gives the finger to all of their existing customers with Rogers and Fido who pay way more for way less. Plus I like to support the little guy.

Hi all

Question for the Phone savvy:

I am getting a new phone perhaps because my recent phone was just exposed to water. It works only when it is plugged into the charger. It has a year warranty that is still legit, but would it cover a phone replacement? Or should I just buy a new battery?

If that doesn't work...

Other question:

I'm on contract with Virgin mobile for another year. I'm thinking about buying an Iphone 3 once the iphone 4 comes out. If I do buy an Iphone 3, like from craigslist that is unlocked, would it work on the Virgin mobile system? I don't want to end up buying something that wont work obviously.

Hi all

Question for the Phone savvy:

I am getting a new phone perhaps because my recent phone was just exposed to water. It works only when it is plugged into the charger. It has a year warranty that is still legit, but would it cover a phone replacement? Or should I just buy a new battery?

If that doesn't work...

Other question:

I'm on contract with Virgin mobile for another year. I'm thinking about buying an Iphone 3 once the iphone 4 comes out. If I do buy an Iphone 3, like from craigslist that is unlocked, would it work on the Virgin mobile system? I don't want to end up buying something that wont work obviously.

I'm waiting for WIND to get a decent Android phone and then I'm dropping Rogers and moving to WIND. I hate how Rogers completely over charges and comes in with a company like Chat-r and shows how much stuff is really worth to them. It pretty much gives the finger to all of their existing customers with Rogers and Fido who pay way more for way less. Plus I like to support the little guy.

Archived