292 replies to this topic

#31 Burrows_Breath

Burrows_Breath

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Anyone else going to line up for the iPhone?

#32 viper.claw

viper.claw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Go for the Blackberry. I've tried touchscreen phones and they're crappy for texting. All you really need, unless you're gonna do some serious data transfer, 500MB is plenty. Voice/Data plans start around $50/month.

blackberry is apparently coming out with the best of two worlds - touchscreen slider with a qwerty keyboard (portrait slider not landscape). rumoured to be releasing either august or october. should be a great phone.

GO CANUCKS GO!

#33 i am a beast

i am a beast

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

blackberry is apparently coming out with the best of two worlds - touchscreen slider with a qwerty keyboard (portrait slider not landscape). rumoured to be releasing either august or october. should be a great phone.

August 15

#34 Seguin

Seguin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

Yup if bought from Apple Store.

16GB = $670
32GB = $780

With 3 Year Contract (FIDO.ROGERS.TELUS.) But can be unlocked really easily.

16GB $159
32GB $269

Fixed. Atleast thats what rogers is selling it for. (according to their website.)

Anyways, for those of you complaining about the reception problem. Its HUGELY been blown out of proportion IMO.

Watch from 4:40 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Hy1cXwGhI

Or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR-2pYeyx9M&feature=related

Or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOy2YSurKs&feature=related

Or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cVh95wOAc

But you realize, only the iPhone is getting hammered on for this problem.

Edited by Seguin, 29 July 2010 - 08:33 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 i am a beast

i am a beast

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Eff Steve Jobs.

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Take care to remove all your personal information before recycling your cell phone - re-cyclers are supposed to do it by law but apparently not always:

Telus is investigating a possible privacy breach after it appears that one of its dealers re-issued a cell phone turned in for recycling.

Jacquie Sali dropped off an old cell phone at an authorized Telus dealer for recycling in April.

Three days later, someone called to say they'd found the phone at a local grocery store, with her home phone number and all her contacts still in it.

"I never expected to see this phone ever again," Sali told CTV News. "I was very shocked that a phone that I had returned for recycling was out there in the community, unbeknownst to me."

Telus spokesman Chris Gerritsen said that the company does not allow its dealers to re-issue recycled phones.

"We are taking this extremely seriously and we share her concerns, of course. The investigation is continuing on and there is still work to be done," he said.

Gerritsen added that employee error is likely to blame for the lapse in security -- Telus policy requires dealers to erase all personal info before phones are sent off to be recycled.

B.C.'s Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham told CTV News that companies are required by law to securely destroy all personal information that comes into their possession.

She said that her office will contact both Telus and the dealer to see how they are handling the situation.

The website recyclemycell.ca recommends that consumers wipe all private data from their own phones before recycling.

The site has instructions for clearing all makes and models of phones.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100729/bc_phone_security_100729/20100729?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#37 Browntown01

Browntown01

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

I'm waiting for WIND to get a decent Android phone and then I'm dropping Rogers and moving to WIND. I hate how Rogers completely over charges and comes in with a company like Chat-r and shows how much stuff is really worth to them. It pretty much gives the finger to all of their existing customers with Rogers and Fido who pay way more for way less. Plus I like to support the little guy.

#38 turbanator

turbanator

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hi all

Question for the Phone savvy:

I am getting a new phone perhaps because my recent phone was just exposed to water. It works only when it is plugged into the charger. It has a year warranty that is still legit, but would it cover a phone replacement? Or should I just buy a new battery?

If that doesn't work...

Other question:

I'm on contract with Virgin mobile for another year. I'm thinking about buying an Iphone 3 once the iphone 4 comes out. If I do buy an Iphone 3, like from craigslist that is unlocked, would it work on the Virgin mobile system? I don't want to end up buying something that wont work obviously.
Posted Image

#39 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hi all

Question for the Phone savvy:

I am getting a new phone perhaps because my recent phone was just exposed to water. It works only when it is plugged into the charger. It has a year warranty that is still legit, but would it cover a phone replacement? Or should I just buy a new battery?

If that doesn't work...

Other question:

I'm on contract with Virgin mobile for another year. I'm thinking about buying an Iphone 3 once the iphone 4 comes out. If I do buy an Iphone 3, like from craigslist that is unlocked, would it work on the Virgin mobile system? I don't want to end up buying something that wont work obviously.

Usually warranties only relate to products that have a hardware or software malfunction through basic use. With water damage sometimes you can get away with it and just play dumb (claim it stopped working and not know why) but in MOST phones there's a little strip on the inside that changes colors when it gets wet. If it gets sent to the manufacturer and they discover it's water damage then you're usually out of luck. Regardless, never hurts to try.

As for Virgin, yes it will work on Virgin as long as you upgrade your account to the HSPA network (uses sim cards). I believe Virgin has the old CDMA network in place (no sims), but you can usually swap that over really easily (may have a $10-20 fee though + have to buy the sim card).

#40 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

I'm waiting for WIND to get a decent Android phone and then I'm dropping Rogers and moving to WIND. I hate how Rogers completely over charges and comes in with a company like Chat-r and shows how much stuff is really worth to them. It pretty much gives the finger to all of their existing customers with Rogers and Fido who pay way more for way less. Plus I like to support the little guy.

Waiting on Wind (WoW) myself, but for different reasons. I hate how they're on a different spectrum for a network, on top of that their network coverage is still pretty weak. Have you seen the maps so far?

http://www.coveragem...p?mccmnc=302490
Click "Show Legend" and zoom into the lower mainland. This is all user-uploaded data so it's not complete yet, but it shows quite a few areas of choppy signals.

I'm also surprised you don't just snag a T-Mobile unlocked Android device off ebay.

Anyways, when you make the swap gives us a heads up on how it is. :D

#41 Steve Danger

Steve Danger

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

The screen on my phone is broken. I need a new phone. I'm with Fido. Fido offers garbage for phones that aren't smartphones. I'm mad.
Posted Image

Haha wow, they own the entire aisle?

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

The screen on my phone is broken. I need a new phone. I'm with Fido. Fido offers garbage for phones that aren't smartphones. I'm mad.

Fido has Blackberry Curve and Pearl and the IPhone4 AFAIK.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#43 -Virtanen

-Virtanen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

Anyone else lining up early today for iPhone4? Or is it just me :emot-parrot: :mellow: :frantic:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 turbanator

turbanator

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Usually warranties only relate to products that have a hardware or software malfunction through basic use. With water damage sometimes you can get away with it and just play dumb (claim it stopped working and not know why) but in MOST phones there's a little strip on the inside that changes colors when it gets wet. If it gets sent to the manufacturer and they discover it's water damage then you're usually out of luck. Regardless, never hurts to try.

As for Virgin, yes it will work on Virgin as long as you upgrade your account to the HSPA network (uses sim cards). I believe Virgin has the old CDMA network in place (no sims), but you can usually swap that over really easily (may have a $10-20 fee though + have to buy the sim card).

Thanks alot for the reply.

There is a strip on my battery, it just turned pink. Ill try for sure to get a replacement phone or battery at the very least as soon as I go back home.

So How would that switch occur? How would I know if the Iphone I buy isn't for the new network? I hope it isn't a difficult switch or anything.
Posted Image

#45 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Ordered the iPhone 4 last night at apple site. Went to oakridge apple store today. So many ppl there lining up outside.

#46 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks alot for the reply.

There is a strip on my battery, it just turned pink. Ill try for sure to get a replacement phone or battery at the very least as soon as I go back home.

So How would that switch occur? How would I know if the Iphone I buy isn't for the new network? I hope it isn't a difficult switch or anything.

There may be an internal strip as well beyond the battery, to a point where you'd have to remove some screws to see it (removing screws = voids warranty). It really all depends on the phone.

Switch from CDMA to HSPA? I'd say just drop by a Virgin location, tell them your intentions, they'll charge you for a SIM card and MAY have a fee to transfer between networks. The process should take 10 mins or so, but once you have it done you just plug the sim into a compatible phone and you're set.

For future reference, sim cards store all your contacts information in them and are unique to your account. Meaning all the phone numbers are saved to it so when you insert the card into another phone all the contacts get downloaded to the phone + your phone number "moves" to that phone. Long story short, less hassle.

As for the iPhone, simply make sure the phone is unlocked. All iPhones are compatible with all networks in Canada except Wind / Public Mobile / Moblicity.

#47 Browntown01

Browntown01

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Waiting on Wind (WoW) myself, but for different reasons. I hate how they're on a different spectrum for a network, on top of that their network coverage is still pretty weak. Have you seen the maps so far?

http://www.coveragem...p?mccmnc=302490
Click "Show Legend" and zoom into the lower mainland. This is all user-uploaded data so it's not complete yet, but it shows quite a few areas of choppy signals.

I'm also surprised you don't just snag a T-Mobile unlocked Android device off ebay.

Anyways, when you make the swap gives us a heads up on how it is. :D

I live on the island right now so I might as well wait until Wind gets there own Android device because from what I heard Wind is not putting up towers until November, so I don't expect it to be ready until January. But once the island gets coverage I will be first in line to try them and if I like what they offer then I will port over from Rogers and tell them to suck it.

I think some unlocked non t-mobile phones can work on Wind. As long as it has the 1700mhz frequency I believe it can pick up the voice signal but you may only get 2G data. Don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure about it.

#48 Steve Danger

Steve Danger

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Fido has Blackberry Curve and Pearl and the IPhone4 AFAIK.

THAT AREN'T SMARTPHONES. I don't need internet on my phone, I'm not that much of a loner nerd. I can wait until I get home to lurk CDC.
Posted Image

Haha wow, they own the entire aisle?

#49 turbanator

turbanator

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

There may be an internal strip as well beyond the battery, to a point where you'd have to remove some screws to see it (removing screws = voids warranty). It really all depends on the phone.

Switch from CDMA to HSPA? I'd say just drop by a Virgin location, tell them your intentions, they'll charge you for a SIM card and MAY have a fee to transfer between networks. The process should take 10 mins or so, but once you have it done you just plug the sim into a compatible phone and you're set.

For future reference, sim cards store all your contacts information in them and are unique to your account. Meaning all the phone numbers are saved to it so when you insert the card into another phone all the contacts get downloaded to the phone + your phone number "moves" to that phone. Long story short, less hassle.

As for the iPhone, simply make sure the phone is unlocked. All iPhones are compatible with all networks in Canada except Wind / Public Mobile / Moblicity.

Thank you very much, Ill get it done as soon as I head back to Nanaimo. You are a life saver.
Posted Image

#50 dragon

dragon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to have two sim cards with the same account?
I have a data plan with my phone but I also
would like
to put the sim card in my wireless
modem to use with
laptop

#51 i am a beast

i am a beast

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

THAT AREN'T SMARTPHONES. I don't need internet on my phone, I'm not that much of a loner nerd. I can wait until I get home to lurk CDC.

BlackBerry is considered a smartphone..?

Check forunlocked ones on Craigslist.

Anyone know if it's possible to have two sim cards with the same account?
I have a data plan with my phone but I also
would like
to put the sim card in my wireless
modem to use with
laptop

Uh don't think it's possible but talk to your service provider.

#52 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

I finally found my phone!!!!

Samsung Galaxy S

http://www.gsmarena....-review-478.php

Posted Image

Key features

* Quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support
* 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA support
* 4" 16M-color Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WVGA (480 x 800 pixel) resolution
* Android OS v2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI customization
* 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird CPU; 512 MB of RAM
* 5 MP autofocus camera with face, smile and blink detection
* 720p HD video recording at 30fps
* Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g and n support
* GPS with A-GPS connectivity; Digital compass
* 8/16GB internal storage, microSD slot
* Accelerometer and proximity sensor
* Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
* microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v3.0
* Stereo FM radio with RDS
* 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery
* Great audio quality
* Slim waistline at only 9.9mm thickness
* Document editor
* File manager comes preinstalled
* Secondary video-call camera
* Swype predictive text input
* Excellent choice of preinstalled applications

Supposed to be available on Rogers this September and is available at Bell now.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

Samsung Galaxy S

Posted Image

May want to hold out a bit. I heard there's some sort of weird stalls on the device so hang tight for some reviews just in case. I'll admit, I hate android and I hate Samsung, but it's hard to argue those specs.

#54 Eastern Canuck

Eastern Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

I've had the HTC Legend since it came out in Canada and I looooooove it. The solid Aluminium case is great, very fluid and easy to use interface and everything I need is right there as soon as I unlock it.
I personally think the Android system is a lot nicer than apple's...

Posted Image

#55 Browntown01

Browntown01

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

Samsung Galaxy S

Posted Image

Key features

* Quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support
* 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.76 Mbps HSUPA support
* 4" 16M-color Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of WVGA (480 x 800 pixel) resolution
* Android OS v2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI customization
* 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird CPU; 512 MB of RAM
* 5 MP autofocus camera with face, smile and blink detection
* 720p HD video recording at 30fps
* Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g and n support
* GPS with A-GPS connectivity; Digital compass
* 8/16GB internal storage, microSD slot
* Accelerometer and proximity sensor
* Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
* microUSB port (charging) and stereo Bluetooth v3.0
* Stereo FM radio with RDS
* 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery
* Great audio quality
* Slim waistline at only 9.9mm thickness
* Document editor
* File manager comes preinstalled
* Secondary video-call camera
* Swype predictive text input
* Excellent choice of preinstalled applications

I was playing around with the Galaxy S today and it was a pretty good phone. The screen is crystal clear and the touchscreen is phenomenal. The one think I don't like about the phone is Samsung's tweaked version of Android. It just seems a bit weird compared to something like the Legend or X10.

#56 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

May want to hold out a bit. I heard there's some sort of weird stalls on the device so hang tight for some reviews just in case. I'll admit, I hate android and I hate Samsung, but it's hard to argue those specs.

Yeah as far as I can tell a lot of those reports were on pre-production models and/or Samsung is aware of and apparently working on a firmware update to resolve most of the minor annoyances. Most of the newer reviews have nicer things to say. Otherwise it's a smart phone.... they occasionally freeze/hang etc. This is by far the closest thing to perfect I've come across in a phone. Meets pretty much anything the iphone can do and exceeds it in a few while also being free (for me) and not having to deal with crapty memory/inability to expand memory and itunes. Me = happy :D Pre-ordered one through Rogers today ;)

I was playing around with the Galaxy S today and it was a pretty good phone. The screen is crystal clear and the touchscreen is phenomenal. The one think I don't like about the phone is Samsung's tweaked version of Android. It just seems a bit weird compared to something like the Legend or X10.

That's got mixed reviews. Some people like most of what it adds, some people don't. This is my first smart phone so I don't have any preconceived ideas on how an OS should work on one so I figure it will be fine. That and the plastic case are probably the only two things I'd change on the phone though if it were up to me.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Now the question becomes where the hell do I buy 32GB micro SD cards? I've googled them and nobody seems to have anything over 16GB.... Help?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#58 tylenol

tylenol

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

What are the best Android phones available in Canada? And are there any good new ones coming out soon?
Rooney

#59 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

What are the best Android phones available in Canada? And are there any good new ones coming out soon?

I'd say the one I posted is a pretty good candidate...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

is today the release of the new iphone 4 in Canada?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.