Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Discuss Everything & Anything Cell Phone Here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
292 replies to this topic

#211 dragon

dragon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Only get a smart phone if u plan to have data in your plan, otherwise just get an iPod touch
it's ridiculous to pay extra $30 for 500mb of data so I have two devices with no data

Edited by dragon, 14 February 2011 - 01:44 AM.

#212 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

I have an Old Iphone 3G. My 3 year contract expires December 9/2011. What would you do? Upgrade to Iphone 4 now or wait for the new Iphone in the article that Wetcoaster provided. I'm not sure.

Also, Stupid question:

If I were to upgrade to the Iphone 4, would I get to keep the same contract that I have now, just extended by 3 years? A few months ago I phoned Rogers and did some serious bitching about my contract, threatened to leave and they gave me a sweet deal per month on my cell bill. I was wondering If I'd get to keep that same contract or would I have to change to a more expensive one because of the upgrade?

Could someone reply to this? Please and THANK YOU!
Posted Image

"But I love it all, hunting deer, shooting geese, birds, anything”
Mason Raymond

#213 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

I have an Old Iphone 3G. My 3 year contract expires December 9/2011. What would you do? Upgrade to Iphone 4 now or wait for the new Iphone in the article that Wetcoaster provided. I'm not sure.

Also, Stupid question:

If I were to upgrade to the Iphone 4, would I get to keep the same contract that I have now, just extended by 3 years? A few months ago I phoned Rogers and did some serious bitching about my contract, threatened to leave and they gave me a sweet deal per month on my cell bill. I was wondering If I'd get to keep that same contract or would I have to change to a more expensive one because of the upgrade?

Could someone reply to this? Please and THANK YOU!

When you complete a renewal, the new contract starts the day you complete it as you cannot have a service term longer then 3 years.

So for example - if you went into the store today and renewed your contract, the contract would start today and the new contract would end in feb/2014 and your previous service term until Dec/2011 would be 'written off' with the new service term agreement.

As for the iPhone - you gotta ask yourself if you can wait, because the new one will be superior then the iPhone 4.
Posted Image

#214 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

When you complete a renewal, the new contract starts the day you complete it as you cannot have a service term longer then 3 years.

So for example - if you went into the store today and renewed your contract, the contract would start today and the new contract would end in feb/2014 and your previous service term until Dec/2011 would be 'written off' with the new service term agreement.

As for the iPhone - you gotta ask yourself if you can wait, because the new one will be superior then the iPhone 4.

During the renewal process, will they budge at all on the terms of the contract or is there a baseline term that everyone must pay?

For instance.

My original plan was around $108 per month for my iphone when I first signed up in 2008. Rogers told me that unless I cut back on my data plan, there is no other way of saving money because everyone must be sold the same contract. But when I phoned and did some bitching about crappy service with the Rogers internet stick, cellphone issues, high cellphone bills, ect.. they cut my bill to $85 per month for everything with unlimited texting.. I was still on my 10.

Moral of the story is I want to keep that contract, but upgrade to a new phone. If I go with the Iphone 4, will they let me keep this same contract? Probably not?

If I go with the new Iphone this summer, definitely not?

Thats what I'm thinking.. am I right?

Thanks!

Edited by BrEwSki, 14 February 2011 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

Mason Raymond

#215 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

During the renewal process, will they budge at all on the terms of the contract or is there a baseline term that everyone must pay?

For instance.

My original plan was around $108 per month for my iphone when I first signed up in 2008. Rogers told me that unless I cut back on my data plan, there is no other way of saving money because everyone must be sold the same contract. But when I phoned and did some bitching about crappy service with the Rogers internet stick, cellphone issues, high cellphone bills, ect.. they cut my bill to $85 per month for everything with unlimited texting.. I was still on my 10.

Moral of the story is I want to keep that contract, but upgrade to a new phone. If I go with the Iphone 4, will they let me keep this same contract? Probably not?

Thanks!

Contracts are created to allow the company to give you a discount towards the phone... SO if you purchase the handset at full price, then no contract is needed.

If you use the 'discount' towards the iPhone 4 now, then the phone company will be unable to offer another discount so quickly.

Lastly, call and ask to speak to their 'loyalty' department and negotiate a new contract/ rate plan.
Posted Image

#216 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

For instance.

Thanks!

Wouldn't that be just a hardware upgrade? Why would you have to get a new contract?

#217 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Wouldn't that be just a hardware upgrade? Why would you have to get a new contract?

...hardware upgrades are usually given with new contracts with companies that are not the 'value' brands such as Wind, Fido, etc.
Posted Image

#218 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Contracts are created to allow the company to give you a discount towards the phone... SO if you purchase the handset at full price, then no contract is needed.

If you use the 'discount' towards the iPhone 4 now, then the phone company will be unable to offer another discount so quickly.

Lastly, call and ask to speak to their 'loyalty' department and negotiate a new contract/ rate plan.

I will do that. I may have a better chance getting a better contract going that way.
Posted Image

Mason Raymond

#219 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi guys,

I'm with Telus Mobility right now and for years I've been using a regular LG phone that doesn't have wi-fi. I think it's time now for me to upgrade since my contract will be ending in July. I'd like to have a phone that can access the internet to check gmail and facebook, but I'm not sure if I need a data plan.

Basically, I'd like to be able to check email whenever I want, but I don't necessarily need to be able to watch youtube or other bandwidth intensive sites. In such a case, do I still need a smartphone and data plan? Telus is offering my a free LG Optimus One if I sign a 3-yr contract, and I won't need to subscribe to a data plan at all. If I want a better phone like the HTC Desire HD, however, I'd need to sign a $50 data plan as well. I'm not sure if I need that.

What exactly are the benefits of having a data plan and a smartphone? What happens if I were to check email on a phone without a data plan outside of a wifi hot spot? And are there cheaper data plans out there other than Telus'?

FYI, right now I'm paying around $35-40 a month for my basic phone with caller ID + voicemail, and so I'm looking for something that isn't to far from this monthly price.

Thanks!

Edited by sakage.shinga, 15 February 2011 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

#220 playstasian

playstasian

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

get with rogers. they have a regular texting/calling plan with social networking which includes facebook email and all that, and wi-fi browsing
Posted Image
TheAgent

#221 ahzdeen

ahzdeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

my experience has been, if you have to ask if you need one, you don't need one.

#222 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

my experience has been, if you have to ask if you need one, you don't need one.

haha you're probably right. Although I would like to be able to check emails on a consistent basis. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether I need a data plan to do that outside of a wifi hotspot.

It looks like all the voice+data plan combos start at $50, but I also have to factor in system access + 911 fees and taxes, all of which, in the end, might amount to a final bill of $100 or more. Right now, my mom and I pay a combined total of $60-70 per month for two phones with caller ID and voicemail. If I were to upgrade, I'd need the new bill to remain at least within a 10-15% range of that price.
Posted Image

#223 BobbyBolivia

BobbyBolivia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

My only comment to your plan to get a phone that will use data but not be on a plan is remember that you will be charged per your usage. I've seen people go this way then see the charges of a pay per use plan and one month they used it more or downloaded a bit more and boom their bill was huge. Email and web doesn't swallow a lot of data but that's me talking from experience with my Blackberry and my company. I'm not too familiar with your LG you mentioned. I respect those who can use a phone only when they need but sometimes i'm bored and have to surf and that's why I need a plan lol. Before you upgrade ask Telus how their pay per usage works for their data.

People on CDC make me feel better about myself...

Posted Image

credit to uɐpɹoɾ

"I’ma make you hate me cause you ain’t me" - Rabbit Run

#224 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

haha you're probably right. Although I would like to be able to check emails on a consistent basis. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether I need a data plan to do that outside of a wifi hotspot.

It looks like all the voice+data plan combos start at $50, but I also have to factor in system access + 911 fees and taxes, all of which, in the end, might amount to a final bill of $100 or more. Right now, my mom and I pay a combined total of $60-70 per month for two phones with caller ID and voicemail. If I were to upgrade, I'd need the new bill to remain at least within a 10-15% range of that price.

Most new plans don't have system access fees anymore.

If you are no longer under contract, you should be able to get a comparable rate by negotiating with the loyalty and retention department of whatever company you are with.

#225 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Most new plans don't have system access fees anymore.

If you are no longer under contract, you should be able to get a comparable rate by negotiating with the loyalty and retention department of whatever company you are with.

My contract with Telus will expire in July, but my mom's won't be finished until October. I've tried talking to Telus' loyalty department about early renewal but they've only offered us free caller ID on my mom's phone. I guess I'll have to wait until July at the earliest before I'll get anything substantial from them.

And it looks like for what I want my new phone to be able to do, I'd need to get a data plan...

Thanks again, guys!
Posted Image

#226 EasyCompany

EasyCompany

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi guy i want to get a iphone 4 and which cell phone company has a good plan out right now.

#227 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

The plans are all the same at the moment with all the companies. Virgin had some really nice plans when the iPhone 4 first came out.

Should just call each carrier and ask what can you offer me if you are defecting from another company.

Posted Image

#228 King Heffy

King Heffy

Kessel's Beer Gut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,297 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Avoid bell at all costs. Worse customer service from any company I have ever dealt with. Luckily I was on a month to month contract and only had to pay the extra month as a cancellation fee.
Posted Image

#229 Orca_Boy

Orca_Boy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

On the CRTC ruling on Wind....
Has anyone heard what will happen to the customers on those plans if the reapplication for bandwidth is denied?

I really like my new cell plan lately. The CRTC needs to really rethink the theory of propping up dinosaur companies.

all in all.... it is complete BS. PERIOD thats it, this thread should be over, and if you dont think it is BS get a life, and stay out of western canada cause we dont want you.

#230 OgS.MVP

OgS.MVP

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Rogers, iPhone 4, $50 Student Plan - so far so good, knocking on wood.

Avoid Fido, they stack their contracts.

#231 Conservative

Conservative

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Just got a new phone and I cant text. It's an android device.

I can call, browse etc. Just cant message my friends. Any idea what's wrong?

Edited by Conservative, 19 May 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#232 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Just got a new phone and I cant text. It's an android device.

I can call, browse etc. Just cant message my friends. Any idea what's wrong?

What's happening exactly? The texts won't send, or you can't access the texting function?
Posted Image

#233 ROBORAT

ROBORAT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

Anyone with wind mobile? If so could you share your thoughts..coverage, customer service etc.? I'm thinking of trying them out.

Posted Image

#234 Suvets29

Suvets29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hey guys so I'm kind of making an implusive decision and I needed some reassurance that I'm not making a stupid move.

Currently I pay $40 on a month-to-month contract with Bell (w/tax) and receive unlimited incoming calls and texts,250 outgoing minutes, 2500 outgoing texts and call display.

Tommorow I'm considering:
  • buying a 2 week old unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 (mint) for $285
  • switching to a $51 month-to-month conract with Koodo (w/tax) to receive unlimited incoming calls, unlimited texting,300 anytime minutes ,call display, and a Blackberry Social add-on (BBM, Facebook etc)

Rationally does this seem like a good deal? I basically want to ensure:
  • I'm getting the phone for a decent price
  • That everything will work technically
  • I'm getting good value for my dollar regarding the combo of calling, texting, and social networking
  • That Koodo doesnt suck
Thanks for any input, cheers.

Edited by Suvets29, 23 May 2011 - 02:56 AM.

#235 playstasian

playstasian

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:59 AM

why koodo? there are same plans with different cellphone service providers for a better price
Posted Image
TheAgent

#236 Suvets29

Suvets29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

why koodo? there are same plans with different cellphone service providers for a better price

haha yeah a few buds of mine hadn't heard of koodo. I looked around for a few I don't recall many similar plans with unlimited incoming calls. Any specific one in mind?

#237 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:20 AM

I'm with Rogers right now, its not bad. I'm looking at koodo's data plan, it automatically only charges you in the parameters of what you used for that month, so I think its possible to save some money with them. It all depends. Can you use the iPhone with koodo?

#238 Suvets29

Suvets29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

I'm with Rogers right now, its not bad. I'm looking at koodo's data plan, it automatically only charges you in the parameters of what you used for that month, so I think its possible to save some money with them. It all depends. Can you use the iPhone with koodo?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that iPhones aren't compatible with Koodo.

#239 Khushrenada

Khushrenada

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

Support the competition! Go with Mobilicity or Wind!

Koodo, Solo, Virgin, Fido, Chatr are all owned by the big three.

With the two new independants you can get unlimited talk, text, and data for aproximately $45 per month.

Service may not be the best, it depends on where you live, but it is a decision you can feel good about!
[img][img][IMG]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7159/cdcsignaturesanandacrap.th.jpg[/IMG][/img][/img]

#240 Suvets29

Suvets29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

Support the competition! Go with Mobilicity or Wind!

Koodo, Solo, Virgin, Fido, Chatr are all owned by the big three.

With the two new independants you can get unlimited talk, text, and data for aproximately $45 per month.

Service may not be the best, it depends on where you live, but it is a decision you can feel good about!

Live in Abbotsford unfortunately

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.