292 replies to this topic

#241 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hey guys so I'm kind of making an implusive decision and I needed some reassurance that I'm not making a stupid move.

Currently I pay $40 on a month-to-month contract with Bell (w/tax) and receive unlimited incoming calls and texts,250 outgoing minutes, 2500 outgoing texts and call display.

Tommorow I'm considering:

• buying a 2 week old unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 (mint) for $285
  • switching to a $51 month-to-month conract with Koodo (w/tax) to receive unlimited incoming calls, unlimited texting,300 anytime minutes ,call display, and a Blackberry Social add-on (BBM, Facebook etc)

Rationally does this seem like a good deal? I basically want to ensure:
  • I'm getting the phone for a decent price
  • That everything will work technically
  • I'm getting good value for my dollar regarding the combo of calling, texting, and social networking
  • That Koodo doesnt suck
Thanks for any input, cheers.

For 51$ you'd be better off going to Rogers or Fido. You'll get pretty much everything you've asked for, along with a reasonable amount of data. If I were you, I'd probably keep looking around. And why are you paying 285$ for the blackberry? If you're getting a plan, especially a data plan, you'll be able to get a brand new phone for cheaper!
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#242 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys so I'm kind of making an implusive decision and I needed some reassurance that I'm not making a stupid move.

Currently I pay $40 on a month-to-month contract with Bell (w/tax) and receive unlimited incoming calls and texts,250 outgoing minutes, 2500 outgoing texts and call display.

Tommorow I'm considering:

• buying a 2 week old unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 (mint) for $285
  • switching to a $51 month-to-month conract with Koodo (w/tax) to receive unlimited incoming calls, unlimited texting,300 anytime minutes ,call display, and a Blackberry Social add-on (BBM, Facebook etc)

Rationally does this seem like a good deal? I basically want to ensure:
  • I'm getting the phone for a decent price
  • That everything will work technically
  • I'm getting good value for my dollar regarding the combo of calling, texting, and social networking
  • That Koodo doesnt suck
Thanks for any input, cheers.

You can get the BB Social plan for $35 if you sign a contract with Telus. The Curve is free if you sign for 3 years. If you sign for one year, the Curve is $280.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#243 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

Anyone with wind mobile? If so could you share your thoughts..coverage, customer service etc.? I'm thinking of trying them out.

Don't know if you've bought service yet, but I've had Wind since September 2010. It's pretty decent for me, but I can't recommend it for someone who uses their phone quite frequently. I don't know if it was just the phone model I bought ( i highly doubt it), but there are many areas where I have no reception and most other phone companies do have reception. I mean, I'd be in irving k. library, kenny building, hebb theatre and i'd lose reception. i'd even be in some restaurants on broadway and lose reception. I could go outside of these buildings and reception was ok, but i'd get no service when i was inside of them. i dunno if it's my phone, but i just can't recommend it if you constantly need to keep in touch. it works well for me though. i just mainly use it around the house and for texting. the reason i stay is because i have an awesome plan. i got the student plan (started in september for a a year): $25 plus tax for unlimited talk canada wide/ unlimited texting/ voicemail/caller id etc. it's a bit unfair because the company is still very new, but i don't know how long it will take to have solid reception from this company. price is awesome though. :)

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 24 May 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#244 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

For 51$ you'd be better off going to Rogers or Fido. You'll get pretty much everything you've asked for, along with a reasonable amount of data. If I were you, I'd probably keep looking around. And why are you paying 285$ for the blackberry? If you're getting a plan, especially a data plan, you'll be able to get a brand new phone for cheaper!

Yeah with $51, i'd go with Fido/Rogers and then stick with them to get a retention plan down the line. It will be worth it if you foresee yourself having a phone for a long time - reality, who doesn't right now? We can't live without our phones.

I called in for a retention plan a few months ago. Literally all i said was "My contract is ending soon and i'm looking at some other carriers". She stops me and says here is what i can offer.

300 DT minutes
UL evenings and weekends starting at 6
1000 Long distance minutes
2500 Texts, Caller ID, Voicemail
500 MB data

Before taxes $40. 5 minute conversation. And that's not even close to the best retention plan out there. Pretty sure a slick negotiator could have gotten 30 GB out of that rep.

Also, why BB? At work, only 2 ppl have a BB and from what i can see, there is nothing that a BB can do that a iphone can't and can't do better (Just my opinion). Emails and BBM are the main things with BB, but i find the iphone email app works fine and i don't even use push data. There are literally dozens of chat applications with iphone - whatsapp, kik, beluga, etc...

#245 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

hello,

i'm just curious how much you guys pay for your cellphone plans?

i have a plan setup for my mom but i dont think there's much need for it as the landline is already established and it gets used more. anyways, the plan is with rogers and its 31.02 per month. the plan i'm on is quite basic, no call display either. is this fair value for a cellphone or is there something better?

edit: i just checked the bill and its 27.70 before HST... $20 for 200 weekday/unltd.eve/wkends, 911 fee .75, system access fee 6.95.

thanx Posted Image

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 12 July 2011 - 01:15 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#246 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

Corporate affiliation plans are where it's at.

That said, mine is also about $30 per month. My organization doesn't really do a good job in saving their staff any money on such plans. :P
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#247 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Mine's pretty much the same, although I get unlimited texting as well. But that can probably be attributed to the fact that I'm on some "student" plan.

#248 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I pay way too much, I pay $52 a month

can't wait to get out of my contract
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#249 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

As for me,
$25 a month
300 minutes
unlimited incoming calls
unlimited after 6
caller ID / voicemail / unlimited texting
on Bell

Use this if you don't know how to negotiate
http://www.mycellpho...ms.com/General/

If you do know how to bargain and you're not contracted (meaning they have incentive) just call your company and claim you intend to cancel your service and go to another provider. Be educated and specific as to what features you're looking for etc, and you can usually talk them down quite a bit.

For reference
caller ID / voicemail -- costs the provider next to nothing so these are the easiest to get free

With all that said, if you're not contracted yet I'd wait till LTE announcements later this year. What's the point in signing a 3 year contract if the network to be on is coming in less then a year.

Edited by RiCHC3, 12 July 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#250 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

hello,

i'm just curious how much you guys pay for your cellphone plans?

i have a plan setup for my mom but i dont think there's much need for it as the landline is already established and it gets used more. anyways, the plan is with rogers and its 31.02 per month. the plan i'm on is quite basic, no call display either. is this fair value for a cellphone or is there something better?

edit: i just checked the bill and its 27.70 before HST... $20 for 200 weekday/unltd.eve/wkends, 911 fee .75, system access fee 6.95.

thanx Posted Image

New plans will not have a system access fee. I would call them about that. You should be able to save 6.95/month right there.

Other than that, not really much to negotiate on a plan that small. Whether or not other plans might work out better depends on your usage. You might be better off with a plan with less anytime minutes and free evenings and weekends.

Your other option is to go with a discount provider like Wind mobile. You'll get a lot more for the $30 or so you pay a month, but have to deal with reception issues and you will be unable to use the phone outside urban areas.

#251 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

$47 after taxes.

Unlimited calls
Unlimited txts (international too)
Caller ID
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#252 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

As for me,
$25 a month
300 minutes
unlimited incoming calls
unlimited after 6
caller ID / voicemail / unlimited texting
on Bell

I worked in cell phone sales for years, and that is an absolutely incredible plan. Probably the best I've seen at that price point.

#253 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

It's a fair price, but does she really need a cellphone? You already said she has a landline that is used much more.

Hell, if I gave my mom a cellphone, she'd still be using a payphone. A cellphone is just an expensive clock to her. To each their own, though.

Edit: My plan is $75 after tax. I have an iPhone, so I have to pay for a data plan.

Unlimited texting
Evening and weekends free after 5pm
200 weekday minutes
Caller ID, voicemail, etc.
500 mb of data

I think without the data plan, i'd be paying about $45 after tax

Edited by KittenMittons, 12 July 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#254 convotutor

convotutor

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

One word.
WIND

If you are in Vancouver and don't really travel outside the designated wind zones, you'd be a fool to not be with Wind.

for $25+tax /month you get:
-unlimited voice incoming/outgoing
-unlimited text incoming/outgoing
-caller ID/forwarding/waiting

if you want unlimited data add $10!

#255 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

One word.
WIND

If you are in Vancouver and don't really travel outside the designated wind zones, you'd be a fool to not be with Wind.

for $25+tax /month you get:
-unlimited voice incoming/outgoing
-unlimited text incoming/outgoing
-caller ID/forwarding/waiting

if you want unlimited data add $10!

Hmmm, can anyone else give me some reviews on WIND? Because it would probably be worth it in the long run to pay out the rest of my contract and go with one of these new companies.

#256 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hmmm, can anyone else give me some reviews on WIND? Because it would probably be worth it in the long run to pay out the rest of my contract and go with one of these new companies.

yea it sounds quite good allright. does wind do contracts? i hope not. i would assume the coverage in areas like coquitlam would be reasonable?

convotutor, could you perhaps give more input about your experience with wind? sound enticing. thanx again Posted Image

p.s. i just called rogers to hopefully get caller id as a freebie and they told me that they wont because i have a old plan thats better than their new ones and if i wanted CID id have to pay $8 more Posted Image

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 12 July 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#257 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

p.s. i just called rogers to hopefully get caller id as a freebie and they told me that they wont because i have a old plan thats better than their new ones and if i wanted CID id have to pay $8 more Posted Image

How'd you expect to get free caller id?? Haha I wish I had it as well.

#258 convotutor

convotutor

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

yea it sounds quite good allright. does wind do contracts? i hope not. i would assume the coverage in areas like coquitlam would be reasonable?

convotutor, could you perhaps give more input about your experience with wind? sound enticing. thanx again Posted Image

For what I require, I couldn't be happier with Wind.
I've never experienced dropped calls and I'm in Burnaby and I have no issues whatsoever with reception.
I do notice though that some parts of DT particularly around burrard station I dont get reception. I think it's just the tall buildings blocking the radio though.

I don't think they have contracts, it's month by month. Either pay before or pay after. I go with pay before bc I couldnt be bothered with a credit check process.
Check out their wind coverage zones-http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/pages/storesandcoverage.aspx to see if you are within it and will be covered. If so, I recommend Wind without a hesitation. Unless you really want the Iphone then Wind is not an option as I dont think it's operable on their network.

Hope that helps

#259 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

For what I require, I couldn't be happier with Wind.
I've never experienced dropped calls and I'm in Burnaby and I have no issues whatsoever with reception.
I do notice though that some parts of DT particularly around burrard station I dont get reception. I think it's just the tall buildings blocking the radio though.

I don't think they have contracts, it's month by month. Either pay before or pay after. I go with pay before bc I couldnt be bothered with a credit check process.
Check out their wind coverage zones-http://www2.windmobile.ca/en/pages/storesandcoverage.aspx to see if you are within it and will be covered. If so, I recommend Wind without a hesitation. Unless you really want the Iphone then Wind is not an option as I dont think it's operable on their network.

Hope that helps

thank you, i will give wind a call soon and transfer my phone # from rogers to them Posted Image

#260 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I got this phone yesterday--it's dope, BUT, it comes with all these pre-loaded bs. How can I get rid of it? Any techie nerds out there?

#261 BoKnowsHockey

BoKnowsHockey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

on my android phone. You just go to settings. then applications. Managa apllications then tap the application you want to delete. then tap unistall.
Posted Image
Credit to the sig goes to Kesler's Happy Dance

View Postclueless, on 12 July 2011 - 12:52 AM, said:

Hey all, to keep this thread from getting locked, I will attempt to be discreet with what I am asking so the younger posters who may stumble across this thread back out of it not sure what to think.

So I am going camping with my girlfriend and a couple friends in a few days. Now, I know my girlfriend will want to play on the playground quite a few times each day, and we are going for 3 days. However, we will be drinking liquor during these three days, and it might make it hard for myself to play on the playground. That's not the worry though, the worry is, how do I stay on the playground for a respectable amount of time? I've heard from some male friends that liquor makes it easier to stay on the playground longer, but getting to the playground may come sooner than expected. So what are some things I can do to make sure that be-fore playing and the actual playing on the playground doesn't end too soon?

#262 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Congrats, I have the older Galaxy S and quite like it, I'd imagine that's even more kick-arse.

FYI this will probably get modded to the Cell thread but I seem to remember researching this very subject when I was getting mine and I can't remember if it was not really possible or was just not worth the trouble but I ended up not bothering and just avoiding what I didn't like.

I'm sure someone will be along with a more definitive answer...or you could try Google ;)
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#263 Dorkey

Dorkey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Root and slap a custom rom on there!

Another month or so until my hardware upgrade. That'll be my next phone too! (:

Edited by Dorkey, 22 July 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#264 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Root and slap a custom rom on there!

Another month or so until my hardware upgrade. That'll be my next phone too! (:

I'm a relative noob to this--is that easy? If it goes sideways, can you just reset to factory and no permanent problems?

#265 Dorkey

Dorkey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

This is a good place to start researching and reading up on guides that can help you. >>> http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1055

(:

#266 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

thx--that's what I'm after.

#267 Dorkey

Dorkey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

thx--that's what I'm after.

Good luck! :D

I'm relatively new to Android too. Just got my Motorola Xoom tablet a while back. Still not confident enough to try rooting the thing yet. Haha!

#268 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Getting rid of bloatware probably requires rooting your device. If you're new to Android, there's one thing that might bother you: battery life. You've probably noticed that your phone's display is breathtakingly beautiful. Samsung's Super Amoled display is on par with, if not better than Apple's retina display. Coupled with the Galaxy S II's 4.3 inch touchscreen you have what is arguably the most beautiful display on the market. However, this comes at the cost of battery life. It's not uncommon for high end Android phones to last less than 15 hours on a full charge even on moderate use. Therefore some tweaking with the settings is required.

Simple things liked dialing down the backlight to 30 percent (which is plenty bright even outside in the daylight), setting the idle screen turn off to 30 seconds, and turning on USB debugging will help. What you DO NOT want to do is get an App Killer. I repeat, no matter what your friends or the reviewers on Android Market says, new Android phones such as yours does NOT require a third party app killer. There see certain programs and applications that Android needs to run, task (app) killers kill these apps which then immediately turn themselves back on. This results in greater battery loss.

I'm using an HTC Desire HD, without using any third party task killers, I get roughly 24 to 30 hours of battery life on a single charge. That's with A LOT of browsing, texting, and about 30 mins of talk time.

I recommend playing around with your phone first before trying to root it. Android phones are touted for their customizabilityp
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#269 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

on my android phone. You just go to settings. then applications. Managa apllications then tap the application you want to delete. then tap unistall.

On my Galaxy S that only works with apps you have added. Not with the bundled apps like he is trying to get rid of. Ive never bothered to uninstall ones I never use. Guess I will if a way to do it easily shows up here.

EDIT: Rooting is not a way to do it easily.

Edited by Offensive Threat, 22 July 2011 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

#270 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Getting rid of bloatware probably requires rooting your device. If you're new to Android, there's one thing that might bother you: battery life. You've probably noticed that your phone's display is breathtakingly beautiful. Samsung's Super Amoled display is on par with, if not better than Apple's retina display. Coupled with the Galaxy S II's 4.3 inch touchscreen you have what is arguably the most beautiful display on the market. However, this comes at the cost of battery life. It's not uncommon for high end Android phones to last less than 15 hours on a full charge even on moderate use. Therefore some tweaking with the settings is required.

Simple things liked dialing down the backlight to 30 percent (which is plenty bright even outside in the daylight), setting the idle screen turn off to 30 seconds, and turning on USB debugging will help. What you DO NOT want to do is get an App Killer. I repeat, no matter what your friends or the reviewers on Android Market says, new Android phones such as yours does NOT require a third party app killer. There see certain programs and applications that Android needs to run, task (app) killers kill these apps which then immediately turn themselves back on. This results in greater battery loss.

I'm using an HTC Desire HD, without using any third party task killers, I get roughly 24 to 30 hours of battery life on a single charge. That's with A LOT of browsing, texting, and about 30 mins of talk time.

I recommend playing around with your phone first before trying to root it. Android phones are touted for their customizabilityp

OK, I did dial down some settings to save battery life--I'll play with it and see how bad I want this preloaded crap gone or not...

Now--apps. What are the no brainer must haves. What are the just for craps and giggles fun ones. Recommendations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.