The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is the naked body an issue this way or that? It's our puritan/religious background that's told us naked bodies are bad, be modest, be embarassed to be naked, etc... It's immature--have we not evolved at all from 300-400 years ago?

And yes, society most certainly is hypocritical and ridiculous, but does that mean we should just shrug our shoulders and accept it?

I just don't want to see them. Ok, attractive female sure, but otherwise, nope. I don't know why, I just don't. Obviously many people feel that way or it would be legal to walk around buck naked, but as it turns out, it isn't. Much like performing bodily functions in public is not allowed (even though I do it anyways, but I am discrete about it) or much beloved.

What I don't get is why you care what I want and don't want to see. Does it bother you wearing clothes?

It appears you do not know.

A general legal right based on gender is not subordinate to someone's particular sensibilities or what makes that person uncomfortable. That is discrimination.

And if you act on those particular sensibilities and attempt to impose them upon others to restrict a general right based on one of the enumerated grounds/characteristics in the Human Rights Code then it may well also be harassment, which is a particular species of discrimination.

What is discrimination and harassment?

1. Discrimination

Discrimination occurs when an individual person, or a group of people, are denied opportunities and rights because of a personal characteristic, such as their race, sex, etc.

Discrimination is when people are judged as members of a group rather than on the basis of

their individual merits or abilities (e.g. "women cannot do jobs that involve heavy lifting").

2. Harassment

Harassment is a particular type of discrimination, and includes insulting or abusive treatment of people because of a personal characteristic.

The Human Rights Code protects people from harassment because of sex (such as when a person

is subjected to unwelcome sexual conduct or sexual hostility), race, place of origin, or because of any of the other characteristics covered by the Code.

http://www.llbc.leg....crimination.pdf

And sexual (aka gender) harassment relates to sexual (aka gender)discrimination and is specific type of harassment directed at a person because of gender and it is not necessary that such harassment be sexual in nature (although it often is) - simply being gender based is sufficient.

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

Sexual harassment is a form of sexual discrimination. Sexual harassment occurs when someone is subjected (often repeatedly) to unwelcome sexual or gender-related remarks and gestures, including:

• inappropriate touching;
  • making offensive jokes or remarks about women or men;
  • making sexual requests or suggestions;
  • staring at or making unwelcome comments about someone's body;
  • displaying sexually offensive pictures; and
  • being verbally abusive to someone because of gender.

Sexual harassment does not have to be sexual in nature. It also occurs when someone harasses a person simply because they are a man or a woman. Sexual harassment happens most often to women, but it can also happen to men or between members of the same sex.

http://www.ag.gov.bc...&Harassment.pdf

Requests to be discrete need not be sexual in nature or gender specific. I don't want to see your man boobs either :P

And it might be your right to walk around in a banana hammock it's not like people don't regularly point out the outrageousnous of being outrageous, and I don't seem to see them getting threatened with human rights tribunals.

Basically the law as written states that even behaviour waaaaaaaaaaay outside of social norms (as said, when do you see the full frontal nudity nursing shot, slim to never right, why is that?) you STILL have to avert your eyes and hold your tongue. Any other outrageous act (and before people question my prudeness, if it's not outrageous, why isn't it common?) won't stop people from paying attention or commenting on it.

Oh, and if I filed a lawsuit every time I heard a women make an offensive joke or remark about a man then I would need to hire a legion of lawyers.

I just don't want to see them. Ok, attractive female sure, but otherwise, nope. I don't know why, I just don't. Obviously many people feel that way or it would be legal to walk around buck naked, but as it turns out, it isn't. Much like performing bodily functions in public is not allowed (even though I do it anyways, but I am discrete about it) or much beloved.

What I don't get is why you care what I want and don't want to see. Does it bother you wearing clothes?

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. Wikipedia, try it sometime.

I have been following this thread since the beginning and I am getting a little tired of your nonsense. You've been so caught up in the argument you didn't stop long enough to figure out you lost. Sharpshooter and Wetcoaster having been mopping the floor with you for quite some time now. I don't know if you lack the necessary coherence to understand when you've been beat or if you can't seem handle the fact that it happened.

BTW I don't know if you figured this out yet or not, its speech not speech as Wetcoaster was so carefully trying to convey to you so many times. Maybe he was trying to protect your delicate sensibilities?

As for my sig, much like you, it is a joke.

You can ask me to be discrete as long as your are not asking in respect of something that is protected under the Human Rights Code. Whether I choose to comply is another issue but if I did not and it was not a protected right then it would not be discrimination.

A nursing mother has the rights that attach to her because of her particular characteristics that are at issue - in this case gender. A person has as many rights as can be subsumed under the listed characteristics set out in the Human Rights Code.

Being male I am unlikely experience gender discrimination based on pregnancy or nursing a child - so yes these rights would not accrue to me. So what? Rights are not a game where the person who accumulates the most rights wins.

Being a prototypical middle-aged white heterosexual male of indeterminate national origin with no obvious signs of physical or mental disability (although I suppose there may be some who might quibble on the matter of mental disability) I am unlikely to encounter all that many instances of discrimination. So I have much less chance of someone discriminating against me. On the whole I am happier that I do not have to contend with discriminatory behaviour that other individuals might experience due to their differing personal characteristics.

The law exists to protect people from harassment and discrimination based on certain defined characteristics that we as a society have deemed to be worthy of protection. I for one believe that is a good thing.

Over-correct? possible... but not in this particular case.

We're on a boys-dominated forum, talking about TITS, BOOBS, MONEYMAKERS, KNOCKERS, CHA-CHAS, and every other word under the sun that stands for breasts.

Of course people are going to advocate for nudity. that way, they can always take a quick peek of sideboob at the mall and get their hardon for the day.

:picard:

Archived