The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

concern? what concern? just look away, no one is asking you to stare at the boobs. it's public space, and feeding is human function that is not private. Some people eat like pigs, and that's offensive to me, but it's not illegal. what if I find you offensive while you eat just because I do? What about my rights? aren't you concerned you are offensive when you are eating in public?

it's much easier if you don't view breasts are a sexual organ only. there's nothing sexual about breast feeding.

I think we're arguing two different issues here.

Should mothers be cognizant that others may not be comfortable with their exposed breast while breastfeeding? Yes, obviously. Should they consider that when deciding to breastfeed, (even though they don't HAVE to)? In certain scenarios, sure. Is it ok to ask a new mom to stop breastfeeding in public? No, it is her right to breastfeed in public, and even the mere mention of a compromise is a violation of her rights.

The 'pro-breastfeeding' side is arguing rights, and the otherside is arguing common courtesies.

Why is it inappropriate?

Your example is not a relavant comparison. There is a very, very good reason why you would give up your seat for an elderly (or maybe pregnant woman?) - they are less physically capable of standing for long periods. However, there is no practical or reasonable excuse for you to ask her to cover up. Any discomfort you may feel is based on your own preconceptions, prejudices, and outdated social conditioning. But even that is moot - except where otherwise posted, the elderly have no more right to seating than you do, but the mother's right to breastfeed is a legal and enforceable right.

In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real logic and rational response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake.

In the US you call them unpatriotic.

In Canada (especially B.C.) you call them racist, a sexist, or a bigot, and then you throw the human rights book at them.

BINGO. Guys are so conditioned to see boobs as sexual organs. All that cleavage conditioning since puberty. Once you stop thinking that way, it's so normal.

Heck, guys have nipples too, and they are disgusting. When I see a topless guy, I find them offensive, but I just look away. Unless the place you're at has dress code, it doesn't matter. That's why they call it a public place.

But there are dedicated places for it too. I think it's a good idea in that not all woman are comfortable feeding their child in public. Here's a pic I took in Tawian:

n614785832_2181485_5465.jpg

I think we're arguing two different issues here.

Should mothers be cognizant that others may not be comfortable with their exposed breast while breastfeeding? Yes, obviously. Should they consider that when deciding to breastfeed, (even though they don't HAVE to)? In certain scenarios, sure. Is it ok to ask a new mom to stop breastfeeding in public? No, it is her right to breastfeed in public, and even the mere mention of a compromise is a violation of her rights.

The 'pro-breastfeeding' side is arguing rights, and the otherside is arguing common courtesies.

But it is her right to feed in public. She may choose to cover up based on her own modesty, creepy dudes checking her out, etc., but she doesn't have to. You may like some discretion, but you aren't entitled to it. And because this issue touches on rights covered under the HRC, even asking is out of the question.

But if that wasn't possible, you're cool with that? Let's say she's at the beach and wearing a bikini, or the baby doesn't like the blanket cover thing, you're good?

Why is it inappropriate?

Your example is not a relavant comparison. There is a very, very good reason why you would give up your seat for an elderly (or maybe pregnant woman?) - they are less physically capable of standing for long periods. However, there is no practical or reasonable excuse for you to ask her to cover up. Any discomfort you may feel is based on your own preconceptions, prejudices, and outdated social conditioning. But even that is moot - except where otherwise posted, the elderly have no more right to seating than you do, but the mother's right to breastfeed is a legal and enforceable right.

See and everyone knows Asians are far more advanced then canadians and they get it. But I'll be back later I'm going #2 in the bathroom and leaving it in there cause it's might free right to leave floaties.

In medieval Europe if you didn't like somebody's argument and couldn't think of a real logic and rational response you called them a witch and demanded they be burned at the stake.

In the US you call them unpatriotic.

In Canada (especially B.C.) you call them racist, a sexist, or a bigot, and then you throw the human rights book at them.

Archived