The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

and are you richer? Germans are not poor. They live a comfortable life. Most travel out of Germany every year. I have found of all Europeans Germans travel the most.

Being richer over a topless beach is your choice, you don't have to go to the beach in Germany if you don't want, you can also go to the areas that are not FKK (not nude beaches) but it is not a big deal. Have you ever travelled outside of North America??? Without your Parents? Just a curious question.

so giving my opinion is not being tolerant? Give me a break. Far from it. I used to think exactly how Nitro thought. I finally realized that it is their right to breast feed in public. Did it offend me at first? No, but it did make me feel uncomfortable until it was explained to me the right every woman has to feed their baby. I have come around to the thinking that there is nothing wrong with breast feeding in public. It hurts noone and if someone is offended then they have the right to look away or even move. It is not like the mother is sitting there smoking a cigarette and damaging the health of others around her. I have mentioned quite a few times that it is upbringing. North Americans are more conservative when it comes to things like breastfeeding compared to the Europeans. It seems that people should always watch who they offend. Smoking, breastfeeding, the way people talk (swear) but yet people who fight against things like breastfeeding in public are a minority and think they should be the ones that are in the right. In my opinion men should not even get a vote in this as we are not the ones that have to give birth and breastfeed.

North America is becoming less and less conservative every day, which is usually what happens as countries get older (both Canada and USA are still relatively young compared to other countries, especially in Europe, where the majority of the citizens immigrated from). While established Asian countries like Japan and China tend to be more conservative (at least in public, not so much behind closed doors) I would think that N/A would follow the European development path, since their society more closely resembles our own.

If it's a natural part of life that's healthy for the mother and child, why would it be discouraged? Again, the vast majority of women would choose to cover up while breastfeeding, so why prevent public breastfeeding for the sake of an ever decreasing population of people who might be offended at the thought of a child gaining nourishment from their mother (especially since the vast majority of the "offenders" would be completely covered)?

While we are dangerously close to the topic, I don't understand the stigma against nudity in north America, especially with the pervasiveness and acceptance of violence.

You admit that different cultures have different value systems and norms (as hinted by the bolded above). So why is it then, that instead of erring on the side of caution and trying to offend the least, people's opinions are they we give them the middle finger and allow them to feel offended? Like you said, NAs are more "conservative" than the Europeans - as I recall, there's more North Americans in North America than there are Europeans.

While we're on the topic of numbers that you so kindly brought up, care to give me a survey of public opinion taken by North Americans and Europeans that actually has numbers of people who support/oppose breastfeeding in public? For all I know, and it's probably the case, you're just making that "fact" up.

As an aside, what's with this "me-first" attitude that is so commonly seen on the pro side? There's a blatent disregard for others' consideration, and it seems like their opinion has to override all others (once again, as seen from your post).

It's not a 'me' first attitude, it's a "others' rights first" attitude. As in, I and others will speak out and stand up for a mother's right to breastfeed in public, whether or not she decides to cover up.., for the right for people to worship whatever religion they want and build their places of worship whereever they are legally allowed to, for the seperation of church and state, for the right for a female to get an abortion, for the right's of minorities, for the equal treatment of those who arrive by boat and seek refuge.....etc, etc.

It's not a "me first" attitude at all...if anything, it's a attitude that puts others first, before our own comforts and delicate sensibilities, and by others I mean those that are being vilified, demonized, looked down upon, oppressed, ostracized, by the many people who don't want to accept and choose not to accept them. It's about the majority standing up for the minority. It's about right's over feelings and tolerance over discrimination and intolerance....

Because if we don't stand up and protect and speak out on behalf of others, then one day I'm next, my rights are next and your(collective) rights are next, our freedoms are next....and then how will we 'feel'? How comfortable will we be with that scenario? Who will consider on behalf of all us then?

Are you actually trying to pull the "freedom" card on me? It's their right to publicly breastfeed - yes, I know and understand that. My point is, and still is, that there will be people offended at that act, and in their interests, why not err on the side of caution and cover up?

Are you actually trying to pull the "freedom" card on me? It's their right to publicly breastfeed - yes, I know and understand that. My point is, and still is, that there will be people offended at that act, and in their interests, why not err on the side of caution and cover up?

• 2 weeks later...

You admit that different cultures have different value systems and norms (as hinted by the bolded above). So why is it then, that instead of erring on the side of caution and trying to offend the least, people's opinions are they we give them the middle finger and allow them to feel offended? Like you said, NAs are more "conservative" than the Europeans - as I recall, there's more North Americans in North America than there are Europeans.

While we're on the topic of numbers that you so kindly brought up, care to give me a survey of public opinion taken by North Americans and Europeans that actually has numbers of people who support/oppose breastfeeding in public? For all I know, and it's probably the case, you're just making that "fact" up.

As an aside, what's with this "me-first" attitude that is so commonly seen on the pro side? There's a blatent disregard for others' consideration, and it seems like their opinion has to override all others (once again, as seen from your post).

I don't think anyone has brought up this point yet.

There is a "no food or drink" policy on BC transit buses.

If the driver simply used that policy to ask the women to stop, is that still "discrimination"?

Just being a devil's advocate here.

If the driver simply used that policy to ask the women to stop, is that still "discrimination"?

if you are going to pull that card then you wouldn't allow the mother to even get on the bus, since she IS food/drink, and that would be discrimination.

Also, I've eaten and drank on the bus numerous times, never mind transported said food/drink.

Is it really that hard to pull part of your shirt or some sort of article of clothing a LITTLE bit over your breast? I really don't care about the subject, and I don't really have a strong opinion to either side, but hell if people are really THAT annoyed that they're being asked to do a tiny task of covering up in order to not offend people, then I think that's a bit ridiculous. It's not like they're being asked to stop what they're doing completely, it's just really showing courtesy to people who are "more offended" to those types of actions.

Is it really that hard to pull part of your shirt or some sort of article of clothing a LITTLE bit over your breast? I really don't care about the subject, and I don't really have a strong opinion to either side, but hell if people are really THAT annoyed that they're being asked to do a tiny task of covering up in order to not offend people, then I think that's a bit ridiculous. It's not like they're being asked to stop what they're doing completely, it's just really showing courtesy to people who are "more offended" to those types of actions.

Archived