The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speak big? Ummm ok....

If you want to get schooled by a left hook from some woman you're staring at...then be my guest....please, stare, please, I beg you.

You can just tell her or her husband or the other normal people pummeling you that you were just trying to play the devil's advocate.

Your point is pointless...when something is a 'right' people don't need your permission or your moral opinion on whether they can partake of that right. If you don't like...tough...change the law. Otherwise...deal with it. And when you argue from a point of nonsense don't act all surprised if people are going to react negatively to you and your point.

And the last time I checked breastfeeding mom's were looked upon as pariah's, unitl they fought and contested the rules and ultimately had the law changed to include their fundamental rights. This new 'right' was given relatively recently. If you aren't going to stand up for someone's right, then don't give 'head up your donkey' opinion on why they shouldn't feel free to act on their rights. Devil's advocates such as yourself have been telling people and monority groups to discreetly act on their rights, since before women had the right to vote. Again, either support the right's of others or one day you'll find your rights being trampled on. Also, people typically tend to be nice and don't stare at women who are breastfeeding....but like I said before...you keep on staring.

That's what people are sure sounding damn certain they have the right to do.

Just minimse the amount exposed. It's not much effort. If the kid doesn't like a cloth around his/her head then so be it. Common sense and discretion aren't difficult concepts.

You cant offer a single damn example. You have no argument. How do we minimize the amount exposed if a damn head is covering 2/3's of the breast? Oh and as for the cloth idea, that would only make it harder for the baby to breathe, could potentially start to overheat the VERY FRAGILE young baby and at the end of the day women shouldnt have to make attempts to conceal breastfeeding or be discreet about it. Stop treating it like a crime.

And women DO have the right to be topless and breastfeed in public and if you dont like it I suggest you move to somewhere where women dont have equality. I hear the Middle East is great this time of year...

That would suck being seperated from your child because of an assault charge, or daddy not being able to hold the kid because your arm is broken and/or your in jail. It's never anyone's right to violently assault another regardless of if they are being idiots. I am quite serious about how extremely poorly I would react to someone doing that.

That's about the only thing I have been serious about. If you can't figure that out when I just finished explitely saying that then too bad for you.

Right, we'd feel real sorry for you if you got pwned by a breastfeeding mother.

"I swear your honor, I wasn't staring that long, besides she was asking for it by indiscreetly acting within her rights"

reminds me of,

"Well, your honor, she shouldn't have worn that kind of dress in front of me...she was asking for it"

I can't believe there are 4 1/2 pages of this (with the exclusion of the last page or so) I had no idea breast feeding in public was such a huge problem. I voted for cover up but I honestly do not care either way, it is just the most commonly used option I have observed so why not go with it. This entire topic is a non issue for the most part. Most women are too concerned with social norms or too self conscious to even attempt to breast feed without being covered. I can probably count on one hand the amount of bare breasted feeding I have seen in my entire life (not that I am looking for it like the other guy here). Even if people were clear on the laws and knew it was perfectly legal or even socialy accepted the majority of women would still choose to cover up. Modesty, bashfulness, and the adherence to social norms are such an influencial part of our society when it comes to nudity this will be unlikely to change any time soon. That being said there will always be free spirits who choose to challenge the social norms but they are so few and far betwen its basically a non issue.

Pretty sure that so long as your not endangering someone that it's still assault. That's a good way to loose your kid.

What part of it's illegal to strike others do you not understand? Or the fact that it IS legal to defend yourself?

Or that I don't care either way and would respond poorly to someone attacking me?

I have to admit though, attack of the breastfeeding women does have a catchy ring to it.

I can't believe there are 4 1/2 pages of this (with the exclusion of the last page or so) I had no idea breast feeding in public was such a huge problem. I voted for cover up but I honestly do not care either way, it is just the most commonly used option I have observed so why not go with it. This entire topic is a non issue for the most part. Most women are too concerned with social norms or too self conscious to even attempt to breast feed without being covered. I can probably count on one hand the amount of bare breasted feeding I have seen in my entire life (not that I am looking for it like the other guy here). Even if people were clear on the laws and knew it was perfectly legal or even socialy accepted the majority of women would still choose to cover up. Modesty, bashfulness, and the adherence to social norms are such an influencial part of our society when it comes to nudity this will be unlikely to change any time soon. That being said there will always be free spirits who choose to challenge the social norms but they are so few and far betwen its basically a non issue.

What!? You're sure that as long as you're not endangering someone, hitting someone is still assault? Who's not endangering someone? The breastfeeding mom? I'm sure getting clocked by her would be an endangerment to the one staring at her....if she's doing it right.

Anyways, stop drinking and posting.

I am stone cold sober.

If you hit someone for annoying you as opposed to endangering you it's assault.

What's funny is the guy above notes that most of the time women are discrete so it's not really going to be an issue in the first place. If women are already held to societal norms and concerned about the health of their baby don't you think it's a bit a stretch to think that one is going to engage a stranger in a fist fight?????

I see what you did there, lol.

As back to the topic at hand... I don't see why it's such a big deal for a mother to breastfeed her child in a private area. Sure your baby is hungry, but it's not like you have 30 seconds to give the kid milk or else it'll die. Just take a couple of minutes, walk down to a private booth and feed your child.

There are private washrooms or places to change your child's diaper. If there are none or in bad sanitary condition, I highly doubt any clothing stores will deny you the use of one of their stalls for you to breastfeed.

In any case, I would assume that feeding your child in a closed, secure and private area would be much better than doing it in public where there are creeps and strange people present.

There are private washrooms or places to change your child's diaper. If there are none or in bad sanitary condition, I highly doubt any clothing stores will deny you the use of one of their stalls for you to breastfeed.

I am absolutely amazed at how much of a heated topic this has become. Honestly the argument has become far bigger than the issue is. According to the poll very few believe that mothers shouldn't be allowed to breast feed in public, which is good. After that it's just an argument of some people wanting the mothers to be discreet about it or not.

To a couple of you (and you know who you are) what's with the threats of violence? Honestly it just makes you look stupid. Sure you have a different view on this but really all you can do is fall back to threats of physical assault? I think the argument on staring when a mother is feeding isn't as much meant towards purposely making thing awkward for all parties but more so a reaction to those overly sensitive mothers who give you an evil glare the second they realize that you realized they're breast feeding.

Really I'm just shocked at how "big" of an issue this has become when it's not really much of one at all. Some people would like it done discreetly and the polite thing to do would be to just kindly cover up a bit more rather than create an issue out of someone else's discomfort

Archived