The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If a baby needs to feed and the mom needs to pull out the boob and feed that's ok right? So if I need to pee is it ok for me to whip it out and pee? Or if I feel like some milk to latch onto a boob Either way it's still indecent exposure

You're obviously not a parent, those parent rooms are even worse. Thats where bean and cheese guy sneaks off to pinch one so he can lock the door.

So I guess all parents should look around for a mainstream clothing stores if they are in the mall, that will go over really smooth. What if there is no stall or too Many parents already feeding? I don't mind the covering up part but you're out to lunch on this topic.

No, I'm not a parent, but I do understand something called, "common sense".

Ok, perhaps some family rooms are a bit messy, but there could be solutions around that. More frequent cleaning, and maybe having a specific room built for the sole purpose of breastfeeding. Key, lock, special access and all.

For the changing room part, when I'm at the mall, I might see a grand total of like 5-15 mothers with children who are still in breastfeeding age, so I don't see where you get the idea of not having enough stalls for everyone. Heck, there are like at least 30+ changing rooms at the Bays, Sears, Zellers, etc. So unless there's a babies convention at the mall or just so happened that 200 breastfeeding mothers are at the mall who needs to all feed their child at the same time, I still don't see any issue.

It's not anything extreme, just simple logistics.

Ok, so you say you have common sense, so please try and answer these questions:

1- Why are you allowed to eat in say, a restaurant, but a baby cannot eat there?

2- Why would you consider it an unreasonable request for someone to ask you to eat in the toilet but you think it's totally ok to ask a baby to?

3- Why is the naked breast of a new mother so offensive to you that you feel it should be banished from public view? Do you feel that way about all female breasts, or just one's with a newborn baby attached?

Actually you dont even have to ask those questions. The courts have upheld that when a nursing mother returns to work, an accomodation of her being able to continue to breast feed be it her baby being brought to her or having the time to pump milk, the washroom is not seen as a reasonable location.

I guess I took it a little overboard but what I'm saying is

Nude is nude. If I'm at a park bench and some lady sits beside me pulls out her boob and a baby starts to go crazy on it I'm gonna walk away and probably say something if u know your going to go out for the day bring some pumped milk or atleast go to the washroom or cover yourself up with a blanket if your bare breasted in public u should get a fine. It's not like a baby drinks exclusively from a breast people pump their breasts all the time to get break from the baby on them nothing like cracked nipples. Even worse yet is people who change their babies in the open

Nude is nude. If I'm at a park bench and some lady sits beside me pulls out her boob and a baby starts to go crazy on it I'm gonna walk away and probably say something if u know your going to go out for the day bring some pumped milk or atleast go to the washroom or cover yourself up with a blanket if your bare breasted in public u should get a fine. It's not like a baby drinks exclusively from a breast people pump their breasts all the time to get break from the baby on them nothing like cracked nipples. Even worse yet is people who change their babies in the open

No, I'm not a parent, but I do understand something called, "common sense".

Ok, perhaps some family rooms are a bit messy, but there could be solutions around that. More frequent cleaning, and maybe having a specific room built for the sole purpose of breastfeeding. Key, lock, special access and all.

For the changing room part, when I'm at the mall, I might see a grand total of like 5-15 mothers with children who are still in breastfeeding age, so I don't see where you get the idea of not having enough stalls for everyone. Heck, there are like at least 30+ changing rooms at the Bays, Sears, Zellers, etc. So unless there's a babies convention at the mall or just so happened that 200 breastfeeding mothers are at the mall who needs to all feed their child at the same time, I still don't see any issue.

It's not anything extreme, just simple logistics.

No, it's not a game, but I thought the principle is that they (rights) were supposed to be equal. Fact of the matter is I can ask anyone to be discrete except nursing mothers. As a general rule, any time you have to add an except in your not treating people equally.

And just so you feel better, if someone was acting over the top I would probably just ignore them, but the whole human rights tribunal thing for what I feel is a reasonable request (and I am not even saying they should have to comply, but you can't ask?) is what's over the top.

What if someone is unintentionally exposing themselves. Usually as a matter of politeness you would let them know. In this case though you run the risk of a human rights tribunal?

The thing is the number of women just having them hang there while in the act is slim to none. Which is why I don't get where all this belly aching is coming from.

But Nitro's take(s) on this issue is interesting. Given the same human rights and tribunal that protect his rights to be a gay person and not be discriminated against are the same that protect nursing mothers. But he wants to edit or get rid of some of those protections?

Public urination is an offence for both sexes so I dont see where this is really going. It isnt about exposing genitals to urinate, it is the fact you are releasing piss onto the street. There is a reason we dont throw chamber pots out the window anymore.

Archived