Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ilya Kovalchuk.

Bill Sweatt talk

190 posts in this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331039

The Vancouver Canucks have signed forward Bill Sweatt, the club announced on Friday.

In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Sweatt, 21, led Colorado College in scoring in 2009-10, registering 33 points (15-18-33) in 39 games.

The 6'0" Elburn, Illinois native won a bronze medal with Team USA at the 2007 World Junior Championships. He was awarded Top Forward at the IIHF U-18 World Championships in 2006, where he captured gold with Team USA.

TBA

Loks like a great depth guy now, Winnipeg bound. Future could be bright. Not very big but offensive upside. A +1 to MG!

towel.gif

Another free prospect for the Canucks organization. Hopefully he does well with the Moose.

WTF google was here? (I saw it at the bottom)

Anyways sweet signing, free prospects never hurt.

Good addition to a decimated Moose lineup, but who knows, maybe he can push for a roster spot? Good to give Hodgson, Schroeder and Shirokov MORE competition.

I made a highlight compilation of Sweatt.

The guys definitely has some elite speed and acceleration. I would say that he reminds me of Raymond but he doesn't have that same shiftiness. He's more north/south like a Matt Lombardi or Torrey Mitchell. A lot of reports have him pegged as an elite 3rd line PK guy as his max. potential. I hope he can create turnovers on the PK like he does at 0:52 mark in the NHL.

Love this signing even more because it pisses off both Leaf fans and Burkie. HAHA!

Good signing. If I recall, there were many posters on this forum that felt Bill Sweatt should have been the Canucks first round pick in 2007 instead of Patrick White.

Love this signing even more because it pisses off both Leaf fans and Burkie. HAHA!

I love that we already have his brother Lee in the system. This is a great signing.

Too bad for the Moose they won't have Cory Schneider, or they'd be favourites for the Calder.

Too bad for the Moose they won't have Cory Schneider, or they'd be favourites for the Calder.

Hopefully Eddie Lack can play some solid goaltending for them.

Article from November 2009 about him

Winger Sweatt doing all the small things for CC

Comments 1 November 04, 2009 4:34 PM JOE PAISLEY THE GAZETTE Bill Sweatt has been doing all the little things on and off the ice — that don't show up in the stats — the Tigers have needed in their 4-1-1 start.

Fortunately, for Colorado College (3-0-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association), he's also producing. The hard-working senior is tied for fourth in points in the WCHA with 10 (seven assists).

Others in the WCHA have more points — including three on this weekend's foe, Minnesota-Duluth — but it's hard to say if anyone has had as big an impact as Sweatt, a second-round (No. 38) pick of the Blackhawks in the 2007 entry draft.

"He's done a lot of little things and been able to chip in offensively," coach Scott Owens said.

But the biggest contribution may be how the talented senior has developed as a leader.

"He looks stronger, more confident and more comfortable with himself," Owens said. "He's team-oriented and playing under control. All rolled together that makes for a very good hockey player."

The senior from Ann Arbor, Mich., had good numbers (31 goals, 45 assists) the first three years of his career — including 12 and 11 in 2008-09 despite missing four games to play for the U.S. at the junior world championships.

Sweatt worked hard this offseason to improve his stick handling and be a more well-rounded player. It has shown as a key player on special teams. He's been a top player on the WCHA's third-best penalty kill (31-of-35, 88.6 percent) and on the WCHA-leading power play (11-of-34, 32.4 percent), which has helped CC lead the league with 3.83 goals.

"If there's one thing I've focused on it is improving my stick handling but really it was about getting a little better at everything," he said.

His worth to the Tigers — thanks to his game-changing speed— has been clear from the start. Now as an alternate captain, Sweatt helps captain Mike Testwuide lead in the locker room too.

"I'm more a leadership by example guy," Sweatt said. "I'm not a talker. I tell guys what they need to do when I need to but I just work hard."

He's been a good example, whether it is his offseason work or during games.

When senior Dan Quilico sprained his left wrist against Michigan Tech, Owens double-shifted Sweatt because Owens knew the senior was fit enough to handle the extra time. He's also one Owens can count on.

"He's out there late in the game when you want a veteran out there," Owens said.

It comes down to the hard work Sweatt takes pride in.

"You work hard every night and you lay the foundation," he said. "You may not win every night, but if you're still setting a good foundation the wins will start coming."

His example has helped the team to a No. 11 ranking in the USA Today weekly poll.

"Everyone's bought into it," Sweatt said. "I saw this coming. We had a good spring and fall because we're a hard-working team. We know there are no shortcuts."

I like the winning attitude he displays in that interview. I'm unsure how to take the attitude that led to him refusing to sign with either Chicago and Toronto. I mean, I like it because he ended up coming to Vancouver, but I'm really curious as to why he didn't want to sign with Chicago or Toronto.

Great to have him.. but if I was him I would have joined the Maple Leafs.

You get more of a chance there then here.

He definitely has potential to be an impact player. In the highlights shown, he owned everyone with his speed.