Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ilya Kovalchuk.

Bill Sweatt talk

Isn't Sweatt a bit like raymond fast but a lot more physical..........I think he could replace Raymond to be the winger for Schroeder........cheaper and young too

I don't think he'll get re-signed. He has definitely been a real serviceable player for the farm while he's been signed, but the Canucks don't need to use a contract slot on him with several prospects coming out of the draft and ready for full time AHL duty.

Isn't Sweatt a bit like raymond fast but a lot more physical..........I think he could replace Raymond to be the winger for Schroeder........cheaper and young too

I think Sweatt will be re-signed and given a chance to make the team..............they will be a few spots available especially third and fourth line winger......Sweatt would only be around 900K unlike Raymond 2 million+ contract.

A bit of an issue I see facing Sweatt is that he isn't good enough to be handed a top-9 position, and he may not have the size for a 4th line role over even a guy like Weise.

It should also be noted, Sweatt's stats in the last 8 games (basically since the lockout ended and things resumed to normal):

6 points, incl. 4 goals. +1.

I'd much rather sign Sweatt over someone like Tochkin. He's still got a couple more years before he's a complete write off. His speed alone is worth keeping in the system if he can develope his already fairly sound defensive game

I think Sweatt will be re-signed and given a chance to make the team..............they will be a few spots available especially third and fourth line winger......Sweatt would only be around 900K unlike Raymond 2 million+ contract.

I had written Sweatt off after scoring only 4 goals and 4 assists over 25 games but in the last 15 he has 7 goals and 5 assists, solid numbers of a low scoring team like the Wolves.

If he can continue close to a PPG pace the rest of the season he will be given a good look at training camp. He is already 24. For a guy like Sweatt he has to make it next year. By the time a player hits 25 they are no longer considered young and end up toiling in the minors barring any huge offensive outbreaks.

It's a shame, because his rookie pace of .58 PPG was almost identical to Hodgon's .59 PPG. I thought by now he would be a 30 point 3rd liner in the mould of a Jannik Hansen.