189 replies to this topic

#31 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Going to the NHL ASAP is always better than being "over-cooked" in the AHL and being labeled a career AHL. But that being said, the TML probably wouldn't be the best place to start either. Getting almost no points and having a terrible +/- because of crappy linemates probably won't help to progress your career much, lol.

The best scenario would be to sign with a team with lots of skills, with lots of upside. Teams like Anaheim or even Colorado.

Detroit says Hi and disagrees with your statement.
Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#32 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,682 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

I like the winning attitude he displays in that interview. I'm unsure how to take the attitude that led to him refusing to sign with either Chicago and Toronto. I mean, I like it because he ended up coming to Vancouver, but I'm really curious as to why he didn't want to sign with Chicago or Toronto.

Well, he was intent on doing his whole four years at Colorado so maybe that explains why he didn't rush to sign with the Hawks. For the Leafs, check out these tweets from him:

My agent and I loved the offer. We never said no, just said we would like to wait for their trades. Then they yanked it

No the offer was great, just wanted to wait to see how trades shaked out. That is it

nothing is easy... and like i said we just wanted to see if they would trade their overload of D for more forwards

He was responding to fans about why he chose the Nucks over the Leafs:

@billysweatt I see where you are coming from but u couldn't easily made the #leafs and making the canucks will be hard if u look at roster

@billysweatt what I mean is making the #leafs would have been really easy for you. Why test free agency?

Sounds to me like he didn't like the thought of making the team because they have no forward depth. That would have made it a struggle for him to succeed at the NHL level right out of college. Good ol' Burkie pulled the deal rather than wait.

Edited by elvis15, 21 August 2010 - 02:09 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#33 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,290 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Detroit says Hi and disagrees with your statement.

+1
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#34 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Billy Sweatt has Twitter!

By @rhayward10:
"@billysweatt I hope when u play the leafs, you get a career ending headshot, piece of s[profanity removed]"

By @billysweatt:
@rhayward10 Wow that wasn't drastic and immature.  Class?

edit: To be fair, @rhayward10 apologized multiple times later after Billy told him the full story.

Edited by Niloc009, 21 August 2010 - 04:25 PM.

zuhwS.gif

#35 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,682 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Billy Sweatt has Twitter!

By @rhayward10:
"@billysweatt I hope when u play the leafs, you get a career ending headshot, piece of s[profanity removed]"

By @billysweatt:
@rhayward10 Wow that wasn't drastic and immature.  Class?

See my above post for why Leafs fans have no one to blame but themselves (and Burke of course) for Sweatt coming to us.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#36 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

ROFL Burke... Sutter 2.0?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#37 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Your logic is flawed. If I was a free agent... I would choose a team that gives me the best chance in playing in the Nhl.

It doesn't matter if he's not ready yet...

AHL- crap pay NHL- Good pay.

I can name a lot of people that skipped "juniors".

Bozak
Bailey
Gagner
the list goes on...

Josh Bailey played 3 seasons in the OHL, and Sam Gagner also played a year in the OHL alongside Patrick Kane.

#38 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Josh Bailey played 3 seasons in the OHL, and Sam Gagner also played a year in the OHL alongside Patrick Kane.

By juniors he meant minor league pro.
Sig too big.

#39 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

By juniors he meant minor league pro.

Those are also 3 very very weak teams that they cracked

#40 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 77,018 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

He will do great with the Moose!

307mg00.jpg

#41 Number.1

Number.1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Excellent signing! He should pile up the points on the Moose alongside Schroeder.

#42 Andy10Bernard

Andy10Bernard

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

Good addition to a decimated Moose lineup, but who knows, maybe he can push for a roster spot? Good to give Hodgson, Schroeder and Shirokov MORE competition.

Thats what I am thinking... I also think he could make the team this year because of his speed alone. People have compared his speed as raymond-esque. It will definitely make the camp a lot more interesting to see what this presence of young guys will do to hodgson and schroeder in terms of them getting pushed to the next level and possibly lighting it up in the pre-season and making the team!
Posted Image
cred ballard_4

"I have been known for chirping and I haven't chirped at all this year."
Ryan Kesler - Sign of maturity

#43 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,223 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

ROFL Burke... Sutter 2.0?

no, Burke is Burke 1.0, he's been that way since... well, ever. Did you forget the Bure, Oshie, and Gretzky fiascoes?

#44 Balladsbastardson

Balladsbastardson

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

good signing , toronto sucks

#45 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Free prospect with speed to burn. Can't go wrong there!

Burkie also drove R.J. Umberger to the airport when he was our G.M. Frankly I think the headcase is Burke, and I would rather have had R.J., much like the bitter leaf fans have a very good chance of wishing they had Bill down the road.

#46 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

No doubt, part of the reason Umberger was dealt by Burke was because a lesser offer was made to Kesler and he signed immediately and Burke made the pitch to RJ "hey your buddy signed for this amount so you should too". Not all players are the same, some just want to make it to the league and some want to also cash in..but if the difference is so little, but jettison them? Its like saying to Luongo during contract talks "hey, Burrows signed for this much, and you should take a pay cut too" The difference between their contracts could've NOT been more than 200k and to let him walk and deal Umberger for a pending UFA is ridiculous, notice how MG doesn't LIKE trading for guys that are not under contract. Its a totally different mindset, which is why MG is gonna take the Canucks to new heights never before seen this market

#47 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

Thats what I am thinking... I also think he could make the team this year because of his speed alone. People have compared his speed as raymond-esque. It will definitely make the camp a lot more interesting to see what this presence of young guys will do to hodgson and schroeder in terms of them getting pushed to the next level and possibly lighting it up in the pre-season and making the team!

If the scenario were to happen that those guys don't make it to the roster ( i doubt it, at least one of them is going to very least get the 9 game try out, Schroeder, Hodgson, Shirokov, Sweatt), the Moose can have potentially have some very dangerous duos on their top 2 lines. Im kind of excited how this is gonna shape up for the rookie camp, it wasn't long ago when we were drooling on michael grabner's potential as he was the only guy that was touted in camp...but now we have more 4 of them? plus the D-men...the pipeline is looking good in Canuck land

#48 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:30 AM

So is he gonna play in the rookie tournament?

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#49 2 Sedins 1 cup

2 Sedins 1 cup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

So is he gonna play in the rookie tournament?

yes he will. I saw him mention it on his twitter account.

Edited by scottrockztheworld, 24 August 2010 - 01:32 AM.

Posted Image
rk17

Quote me on this. The Flames will win their Second Stanley Cup before the Canucks win their first. :P

Sometimes people shouldn't have their opinions heard.

Led Zeppelin is overrated.

#50 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,223 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

Canucks will sweep the rookie tourney. you heard it here first. We're stacked like Stifler's mom Is that reference even still culturally relevant? .

#51 The Drunken Crunker

The Drunken Crunker

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

The Hockey News 2007 Scouting Profile for Sweatt:

THN Ranking: 28

ISS Ranking: 33

"There are some scouts who feel Bill Sweatt has the potential to go in the top 15 and perhaps even the top 10 of this year's draft. What they like about Sweatt is his skating ability. It was that attribute that got him a spot on the U.S. national junior team for the World Junior Championship.

"He's the fastest skater in the draft, no question about that," one scout said. "This kid can flat-out fly!"

"I haven't seen a better skater in this draft," another scout said. "He skates like the wind and he has the talent level to match it."

Sweatt's speed was a boom to him this season at Colorado College, where he maintained almost a point-per-game pace as a freshman. He won't put up big numbers as a pro, but he will get his chances and become an effective penalty killer. "He's not a great scorer," said another scout, "but he creates a lot of chances with his speed."

NHL Translation: Project Forward

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

"We are trying to get more Canadians playing floorball, leave it to Sami to make it seem dangerous,"
- Greg Beaudin, president of B.C. Floorball.

#52 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

I project him to be similar to Peter Schaefer. They are similar in size and play a comparable game. Schaefer was never a big time scorer in the NHL but he was a great penalty killer with good speed. I think Sweatt's high-end potential is 20 goals but will average around 15 if he makes it as a full time NHLer.

On the topic of Schaefer, what happened to the guy? 46 points in 06-07 while playing a 3rd line defensive role. He struggled with the Bruins with only 26 points in 63 games (4 points in 7 playoff games) and ended up in the minors the following year. 26 points in 63 games, while not overly impressive, should be good enough to keep a guy in the NHL. I am guessing he was sent to the AHL for cap purposes?

Edited by canucklehead44, 26 August 2010 - 11:38 AM.

Sig too big.

#53 Reddy11

Reddy11

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Interview with Kristin Reid after skate today at UBC. He is incredibly fast.

http://canucks.nhl.t...atid=6&id=74821

#54 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Interview with Kristin Reid after skate today at UBC. He is incredibly fast.

http://canucks.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=6&id=74821

His speed looks great. I'd love to see him get a spot, if not this year, in a year or 2.

His personality I also like quite a bit. He just says it like it is and you don't feel like he's dodging a question in any shape or form.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#55 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Can't wait to see him rip up oil prospects on the 12th.

#56 Andy10Bernard

Andy10Bernard

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

cant wait to see him playing with other canuck prospects in-game!
Posted Image
cred ballard_4

"I have been known for chirping and I haven't chirped at all this year."
Ryan Kesler - Sign of maturity

#57 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

I hope he makes it. If not the moose will be awesome this year.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#58 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

I was out of town so i just recently caught up and watched the Canucks video of Bill Sweatt and there are some things i noticed

- I know its a short video, but this guy has an incredible burst. I know we've seen Grabner videos, seen him play live on tv, but this guy just might be a lot faster. I saw him take his first few strides and i was like whoa!!

- knows the expectations of the hockey market from being a prospect in the leafs

- this one is subjective..but it really does sound like he's in vancouver for the CHALLENGE of making it to the roster. Somebody mentioned here that maybe he doesn't like being handed a starting spot right away, but from i took from his interview, sounds like he really doesn't mind working from the Moose and earning his stripes because he clearly knows he's in a dogfight to make the roster this year

All in all, i like this guy being in our team, whether he makes the team this year or not, Im sure we'll be very happy to track his progress whether its in the bigs or not

#59 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,223 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

I was out of town so i just recently caught up and watched the Canucks video of Bill Sweatt and there are some things i noticed

- I know its a short video, but this guy has an incredible burst. I know we've seen Grabner videos, seen him play live on tv, but this guy just might be a lot faster. I saw him take his first few strides and i was like whoa!!

- knows the expectations of the hockey market from being a prospect in the leafs

- this one is subjective..but it really does sound like he's in vancouver for the CHALLENGE of making it to the roster. Somebody mentioned here that maybe he doesn't like being handed a starting spot right away, but from i took from his interview, sounds like he really doesn't mind working from the Moose and earning his stripes because he clearly knows he's in a dogfight to make the roster this year

All in all, i like this guy being in our team, whether he makes the team this year or not, Im sure we'll be very happy to track his progress whether its in the bigs or not

a couple of things:
-He definitely is noticeably faster than grabs, but he still needs to work on getting his hands up to speed, and I'm pretty sure he knows this (see point 3)
-He was only a Laffs prospect for a couple weeks, he has been a Hawks prospect for 3 years and was just traded over in the Verseeg trade.
-He signed with Vancouver because he knows they will properly develop him, and in the long term that will result in a better career in the NHL.

#60 Reddy11

Reddy11

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Great Article on Hockeybuzz from Julie Robenhymer about him

Who is Billy Sweatt???

Long read but good and in depth I would encourage anybody interested in Billy Sweatt to read it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.