189 replies to this topic

#121 Honeydew

Honeydew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Sweatt wanted too much money for a second rounder so Chicago traded him to Toronto as part of the Versteeg trade... Burke couldn't sign him either, he wanted first rounder type of money. So now he gets to play with his brother and the Hawks get Paradis in the Versteeg trade. I hope nothing but the worst for Sweatt but only the best for Paradis.

Paradis has yet to do something surprising in his development compared to Bill Sweatt, I'd rather have a hard working 2-way forward with killer speed then an unproven prospect at the Q league.
Posted Image

#122 KOHO39

KOHO39

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Bill seems to be willing the moose to a win. Big game, 2 goals.

#123 KOHO39

KOHO39

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

They took the second goal away and gave it to seabrook.

Edited by KOHO39, 24 April 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#124 overdrive

overdrive

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

I kind of feel like we've forgotten about this guy, he quietly had a good rookie season with the moose, and from the sounds of it he plays a similar game to raymond, i could see him pushing for a spot in training camp

#125 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

I kind of feel like we've forgotten about this guy, he quietly had a good rookie season with the moose, and from the sounds of it he plays a similar game to raymond, i could see him pushing for a spot in training camp

Funny how majority of CDC hates Raymond's style of play, yet when it comes to an unproven prospect who plays like Raymond, people somehow are buzzing about him and how he should be getting a chance at the big stage.

Not gonna happen.

Also, not a reply directly at you - I'm not saying that you are a hypocrite (Hates Raymond, but loves Sweatt) - just saying that there are others who do this, and pointing out the stupidity of CDC's tendencies to blindly love prospects and obliviously bash NHL players.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#126 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

He is nowhere near as perimeter as Raymond is, but that could be a different story at the NHL level. His shot isn't as heavy as Raymonds, but it's much more accurate.
Posted Image

#127 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

nvm

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 29 July 2011 - 11:22 PM.

2moy3iq.png

#128 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

This thread seriously smells like B.O.
Posted Image

#129 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

i think sweatt has more of an edge to him than raymond, but as said above, raymond has more offensive upside.
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#130 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

POPULAR

I have a new video up for Sweatt.

I've been trying to make more balanced videos, mostly highlights but also some showing some of their defensive plays (some gone wrong). Hope you guys like it.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 30 July 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#131 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

^^^^ Yeah, for sure.

Anyone else think that his skating strides are extremely short? I know this guy is fast, but the superskills portion at the end kind of shows how choppy his strides are. He could be even faster if he works on his skating IMO.

Not as fast as Raymond.

#132 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

^^^^ Yeah, for sure.

Anyone else think that his skating strides are extremely short? I know this guy is fast, but the superskills portion at the end kind of shows how choppy his strides are. He could be even faster if he works on his skating IMO.

Not as fast as Raymond.

It looks like he could use a lot of work with a power skating coach to get him to get lower and increase his stride length. That would give him more power, and he could probably go faster that way. Hard to tell though, because it could also be the angle on his blade - some cuts mean less gliding. On the flip side, it means that his head is up higher and if he gets hit by a d-man in open ice, his head won't be hit as easily.

#133 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

Loving the videos man! :D

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 31 July 2011 - 02:48 AM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#134 KOHO39

KOHO39

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Loving the videos man! :D

Agreed thanks for the good work

#135 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Top-6 forward spot open on Canucks roster

PENTICTON – Last season, as a rookie pro, Bill Sweatt showed enough at rookie camp, made it to main camp and got into three NHL preseason games, scoring no points and going minus-3.The Chicago-born winger also showed NHL wheels and a strong two-way work ethic.

A year later, he's hungry for more – a lot more.

With centre Ryan Kesler (hip surgery) likely to miss an indeterminate number of games at the start of the season and winger Mason Raymond sure to be out with a fractured vertebrae, the door is open wider in the top-six forward group than you might expect from a team that got to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Certainly, players such as Cody Hodgson, Chris Higgins and free agent signing Marco Sturm are in the queue for those second line jobs, but Sweatt will be looking to show at the Young Stars prospects tournament here that he intends to be a serious contender.

"I just want to show I've improved and learned the pro game and can play at this level," said Sweatt, 22. "Hopefully I can go into main camp and have a really good camp and hopefully make the team off the bat this year."

Sweatt, originally a second-round pick of Chicago in 2007 but signed as a free agent by Vancouver last summer, had a good rookie pro season with the Canucks' Manitoba Moose AHL team. He had a typical slow start, but came on and finished second on the Moose in scoring, both in points and goals (19-27-46 in 80 games) to the now departed Sergei Shirokov.

"I didn't know what to expect, it was my first year pro," said Sweatt. "Then we went on a long road trip, like seven games in 10 days. It was like a battle. I kind of got my wind and started to score some goals, got some points and kept going from there. I improved my offensive game and my defensive game. I'm just trying to take that momentum into this season."

Sweatt, a 6-foot, 190 pounder who played four seasons at Colorado College, credits Claude Noel, his coach with the Moose, for working with him on his game.

"Winnipeg was a great organization and Claude is a great coach and he taught me a lot," said Sweatt. "He broke down my game with me and I tried to do everything he said.

Sweatt feels his game is more pro ready now – on both sides of the puck.

"I think working on having more patience with the puck, maintaining possession, trying to get everything on net," he said. "Last year a lot of my goals came from just being in front of the net, sticking your nose in there, tips, pucks going off of you, rebounds at the net front. Defensive zone was just around the boards, getting help or chipping it out to they can go on a rush."

But Sweatt said he's not going to get too caught up in being one of the vets here.

"I think I just go out there and concentrate on playing hard, working hard," he said. "If you have the intention you should be scoring two goals a game because I'm the older guy and I was there last year and you don't it really gets to you mentally. Jusst go out and work hard and do the little things right, and see what happens."

© Copyright © The Province
Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1XcOxhVDR

Just posting a few good readings.

Edited by Dasein, 10 September 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#136 shirooo

shirooo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

I think another year in the AHL and a couples callups this year will be better for his development, and once one of Sammy,Strum and Raymond are gone there will be chances for players like Sweatt, Schroeder and Rodin to make noise in 2012-2013

#137 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

Sweatt tweets daily about Storage Wars. What a guy.
Posted Image

#138 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

I think another year in the AHL and a couples callups this year will be better for his development, and once one of Sammy,Strum and Raymond are gone there will be chances for players like Sweatt, Schroeder and Rodin to make noise in 2012-2013

I know right?

Samuelsson, Raymond, and Sturm all expire this season. Malhotra, Burrows, Higgins and Lapierre expire the year after. Of these 7 guys, only Burrows is a guaranteed re-signing. I'd like to see Malhotra, Raymond and Samuelsson re-signed, at a lower cap hit, and shorter deals - for instance, Samuelsson should be offered nothing longer than a one year deal. Malhotra should be our 4th line center at that stage since Cody will be ready, and Malhotra would be pretty old by then to be effective.

Agree whole heartedly. We're going to see some big changes in the next few years. This is the year for us to win the Cup with this group. We have to do it now.

#139 russianrocket961

russianrocket961

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

Great to have him.. but if I was him I would have joined the Maple Leafs.You get more of a chance there then here.
Posted Image

#140 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

Great to have him.. but if I was him I would have joined the Maple Leafs.You get more of a chance there then here.

Yeah but you'll never be a winner...

#141 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Not too sure how many players really want to play for a team run by Brian Burke and coached by ol'Ron Wilson, unless they are severely overpaid.

#142 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

^ lol

#143 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Whenever I think of Billy Sweatt....it always makes me think Sweaty Bill.

Posted Image
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

#144 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

Yeah but you'll never be a winner...

But you can always leave at the age of 27. Just keep on signing short term contracts.

#145 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

But you can always leave at the age of 27. Just keep on signing short term contracts.

Yeah, and develop some bad habits along the way until you leave and get on the fast track out of the NHL once you hit free agency because nobody wants you...

Edited by Dasein, 14 September 2011 - 01:00 PM.

#146 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

Sweatt is under the radar it seems but this is one prospect I really hope we hold on to. He's got the wheels and the hockey sense and is only going to get better. Expecting a big year out of Sweatt on our top line in Chicago

Posted Image

#147 snowboard888

snowboard888

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

As per @VanCanucks:

Sweatt is cleared for contact and will likely play this weekend. #Canucks

They must mean play for Van because Chicago doesn't have a game this weekend...

Posted Image

#148 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

As per @VanCanucks:

Sweatt is cleared for contact and will likely play this weekend. #Canucks

They must mean play for Van because Chicago doesn't have a game this weekend...

considering he was never released from the training camp roster yet, that would be a safe assumption...

#149 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

BS has been on fire lately. Tied with Schroeder now in Wolves scoring after a sluggish start. Nobody is piling in thr goals at a Jeff Tambellini rate though.
Posted Image

#150 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

BS (what a combination of letters, poor guy Posted Image) has been hustling hard and playing very well from what I've heard. To me it seems like he could do some spot duty on the 4th line this year in place of Volpatti if we're going with a line that has speed and can score and play physical. Sweatt-Lapierre-Weise might have some potential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.