Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Bill Sweatt talk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
189 replies to this topic

#181 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Isn't Sweatt a bit like raymond fast but a lot more physical..........I think he could replace Raymond to be the winger for Schroeder........cheaper and young too

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 05 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#182 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I don't think he'll get re-signed. He has definitely been a real serviceable player for the farm while he's been signed, but the Canucks don't need to use a contract slot on him with several prospects coming out of the draft and ready for full time AHL duty.

But we should waste a contract on guys like Tochkin, Anthony, Matson, Schneider, and Desbiens?

I would cut ties with any of these guys before Sweatt at this point.

Sweatt is next in line for a call-up if there is an injury to one of our wingers. His speed gives him a leg up on a guy like Archibald at this point.

Edited by DeNiro, 06 February 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#183 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Isn't Sweatt a bit like raymond fast but a lot more physical..........I think he could replace Raymond to be the winger for Schroeder........cheaper and young too

Yea, Sweatt is alot like Raymond, but is more willing to go into dirty areas.

Sweatt has been a victim of circumstance IMO. Due to the Canucks being where they're at in building a cup contender, and having alot of depth on wing, there hasn't been a whole lot of opportunities for him. After his 46 point season, he likely would have been given an opportunity on alot of teams in the league, but the Canucks just didn't have room for him.

Sweatt had great chemistry with Schroeder on the Moose, but due to line shuffling and injury, he kind of faded away. And because of his speed and checking ability, the coach will use him as a shutdown guy rather than in offensive situations. That's why the numbers don't tell everything. If he got the same opportunities in offensive situations as a guy like Schroeder did, his numbers would be higher. Unfortunately, there are quite a few veterans on the Wolves that eat up that time.

I think Sweatt will be like Burrows, in the sense that he will make the NHL because of his checking ability, but then surprise people by developing his offensive game. Plus Burrows didn't make the NHL until he was 24-25 too.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#184 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think Sweatt will be re-signed and given a chance to make the team..............they will be a few spots available especially third and fourth line winger......Sweatt would only be around 900K unlike Raymond 2 million+ contract.

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 06 February 2013 - 01:16 AM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#185 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

A bit of an issue I see facing Sweatt is that he isn't good enough to be handed a top-9 position, and he may not have the size for a 4th line role over even a guy like Weise.

#186 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

It should also be noted, Sweatt's stats in the last 8 games (basically since the lockout ended and things resumed to normal):

6 points, incl. 4 goals. +1.

#187 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'd much rather sign Sweatt over someone like Tochkin. He's still got a couple more years before he's a complete write off. His speed alone is worth keeping in the system if he can develope his already fairly sound defensive game

#188 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I think Sweatt will be re-signed and given a chance to make the team..............they will be a few spots available especially third and fourth line winger......Sweatt would only be around 900K unlike Raymond 2 million+ contract.

Raymond is a superior player to Sweatt. It's not even close. You don't just replace him like that...
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#189 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I had written Sweatt off after scoring only 4 goals and 4 assists over 25 games but in the last 15 he has 7 goals and 5 assists, solid numbers of a low scoring team like the Wolves.

If he can continue close to a PPG pace the rest of the season he will be given a good look at training camp. He is already 24. For a guy like Sweatt he has to make it next year. By the time a player hits 25 they are no longer considered young and end up toiling in the minors barring any huge offensive outbreaks.

It's a shame, because his rookie pace of .58 PPG was almost identical to Hodgon's .59 PPG. I thought by now he would be a 30 point 3rd liner in the mould of a Jannik Hansen.
Sig too big.

#190 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

I see Sweatt as a kind of Hansen. He could be very useful.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.