The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great article about eddie lack!

Not long ago, amiable Manitoba Moose head coach Claude Noel was in the middle of a media scrum, chatting away, when up walks his goaltender, Eddie Lack, who hands him a pink cap emblazoned with the letters, "LVP".

Noel looks at the hat, quizzically, and ventures: "Least Valuable Player?" "Yeah," Lack confirms, and scoots away back to the Moose den.

What was that all about?

"I don't know," Noel said, shrugging. "It's Eddie Lack."

Two things: First, what kind of rookie has the cojones to interrupt his coach's press conference to hand him a pink hat -- which the Moose regularly hand out as an ongoing gag of sorts -- to the most ineffective player at practice?

With some less tolerant coaches, that stunt would get you a ticket to the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings. By plane, if you're lucky. But not Lack, a 23-year-old Swede who has emerged this season out of nowhere -- or, more accurately, Norrtalje, a small coastal town near Stockholm -- to become Manitoba's odds-on MVP favourite and AHL Rookie of the Year candidate.

Remember, Lack wasn't drafted. He was a backup in the Swedish Elite League last season. To call him an unknown when he arrived at the Vancouver Canucks training camp last September would be a bit of an understatement.

Said Moose GM Craig Heisinger: "I'd never heard of him. The name Eddie Lack meant nothing to me."

It does now. Entering Friday night's game with the Texas Stars, Lack had a 24-18-3 record with a 2.13 GAA and a eye-opening .927 save percentage.

"I think he came on as a surprise," said Moose goaltending coach Rick St. Croix. "I don't think (the Canucks organization) recognized they had someone who was going to be as good as he has been. It didn't take them long to realize this guy's got something."

Now Lack's name is starting to get mentioned in Vancouver, where the Canucks already employ multi-million dollar starter Roberto Luongo and his understudy and former Moose MVP Cory Schneider. These are still early days, with hardened, cynical brass to impress, but if anything the rookie is just getting better.

Which brings us to that second thing: Even for a goaltender, Lack is one different dude.

He walks around Mooseville with a grin plastered on his cheery mug as wide as a split-save. He always looks like he's just been told a great joke or he's about to tell you one. He's forever playfully needling teammates and staff.

In short, Eddie Lack is Dennis the Menace with a mask.

How would Lack describe himself? "Happy and easygoing," he replied, "taking advantage of every day to the max."

How would teammates describe him? "A goof?" said forward Guillaume Desbiens. "Nah, he's a funny kid. He loves being around the guys. You look at him and just want to laugh."

And there's grizzled Moose veteran Garth Murray, who watched slightly bewildered as Lack sauntered out of the dressing room that day to present the LVP cap to his head coach.

"That was probably the head-shaking moment for me," Murray said. "I was, like, really? I was thinking about stopping him, but I thought, 'You know what, let him go and do what he's got to do.' Whatever keeps that dinosaur grin on his face."

Of course, behind the smile there's something more substantial. More mature. Very much determined.

"It's different strokes for different folks," St. Croix said. "(Lack) is unique. There aren't a lot of carefree goalies. But that doesn't mean he isn't into it and realizes the importance of the game and bearing down. He's pretty calm and the team can draw on that."

Added Noel: "I wouldn't say he's flaky. He's just a good-humoured guy who loves life and loves to play. He doesn't take everything too serious. He takes his hockey serious, let's not get that mixed up. He's a focused player."

After all, Lack isn't another cocky, pampered bonus baby. He's been on his own, more or less, since he was 18. He often does the cooking for roommate and rookie defenceman Yann Sauve. What's Lack's specialty?

"He likes sauces," said Sauve. "All Swedish people like sauces."

Lack's father, Jan, is a carpenter. His mother, Mia, owns three hotels in Stockholm. They divorced when he was younger, but he's been homesick for them both during his first year away from Sweden.

So during the Christmas break, Lack found a local tattoo parlour, where he had his mother's birth date (with the symbol of love) and father's birth date (with the symbol of strength) inked on the forearm of his glove hand. "I wanted to do something special," he said.

And maybe that ultimately might be the best description of Eddie Lack. Not goofy. Not happy. But special.

Only time will tell. But consider that Lack's fledgling professional career has mostly been in the role of the backup, rarely the bride. It was only at the urging of Swedish-based scout Lars Lindgren, a former Canuck, that Vancouver even signed the unknown netminder in the first place.

It was a hunch and a hope. The Canucks like their goalies big, and Lack has a 6-foot-4 frame that moves gracefully in the crease and with seemingly little effort. Maybe it's that same size that, ironically, hampered Lack's growth in net.

"I always dreamed about the NHL," he said, when asked about his unorthodox rise in the hockey world. "It's always been in the back of my mind. I knew if I just kept working hard I'd get a chance eventually."

But this fast? The smile fades slightly, and the maturity shows. "I'm 23," Lack said. "It's not been that fast. I've always considered myself a little bit of a late bloomer."

Questions remain: How will the rookie handle the Moose stretch drive, when the screws start to tighten? Does Lack have playoff mettle? Is he a happy-go-lucky fad or the real thing?

"You don't have a crystal ball," St. Croix said. "In the tests we've given him, he's done well. It's not just the goalie. Some of the results will depend on how well we play in front of him, and how much he can handle the pressure and make the timely saves when we need them.

"He's handled it with a lot of maturity and confidence. And competitiveness. Let's keep it going. Let it happen. Because if we're saying he's an NHL prospect he better have those qualities."

Hey, you want to know why Lack is always smiling? Because if you ask him what he would have done if not for hockey, he's at a loss for words: "I don't know," he said. "I've been thinking about hockey since I was six years old. It's a privilege to be here every day, practising and playing games in front of a big crowd."

But one tiny regret, perhaps. It's about that pink hat the rookie good-naturedly gave the coach.

"I mean, I guess I handed it first and thought after," Lack said, the grin somewhat sheepish now. "Maybe it wasn't the smartest move to do at the time..." Then Lack perked up.

"I'm a Swede," he concluded, "so maybe I'm a bit crazier than the Canadian guys here."

Yes, that's one saucy Swede. There's plenty of substance, too.

Just wondering. What's the colour of the Moose hat for the MVP?

Vancouver slowly has gained one of the better goalie pools in the league. In the last two years these late round gambles and free agent signings have really paid off.

1) Luongo

2) Schneider

3) Lack (2010 FA signing)

4a) Cannata (6th round, 2009)

4b) IIlahti (6th round, 2010)

Lacks presence is great, because he will allow us to trade Schneider at the end of his contract when he will move on to become a full time starter. And then the process starts over with Lack, let him develop as a back-up and then eventually we may have to convert him for other assets. Luongo's 12 year deal is a blessing and a curse.

Eddie Lack named to AHL All-Rookie team

Wednesday, 30.03.2011 / 2:36 PM / share_button_agenda.png | |

8475663.jpgLack The Manitoba Moose, in conjunction with the American Hockey League, announced today that goaltender Eddie Lack has been named to the AHL All-Rookie Team. Lack, 23, has appeared in 49 games so far with the Manitoba Moose in his first professional season in North America. The native of Norrtalje, SWE has compiled a record of 27-19-3 which ranks him third amongst AHL goalies in wins. His 2.16 goals against average is tops amongst rookie goalies and is fourth overall in the league. His .928 save percentage is also the highest amongst first-year goalies and is third overall in the AHL. He is second in the league in with 2,945 minutes played and is second in saves with 1,368. Lack’s five shutouts this season is one shy of the franchise record.

Lack was named the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month in December when he went 7-2-0 with a goals against average of 1.99 and a save percentage of .935. Through the month of December, during which Lack went on a six-game winning streak, the Moose climbed from sixth to the top of the North Division. At one point during the streak Lack had not allowed a goal in 127:26 consecutive minutes of action. Along with his season-high six-game streak in December, Lack has also put together a trio of three-game winning streaks which includes his last three starts in March. Recently Lack has faced an average of 36.6 shots per game in 10 starts this month. He faced a season-high 47 shots against Abbotsford on Mar. 25/11, making a season-high 45 saves in the 3-2 shootout win.

Lack played last season for Brynas IF in the Swedish Elitserien and signed as a free agent with the Vancouver Canucks on Apr. 6, 2010.

Lack is in the running (and a strong candidate) for the following AHL awards:

Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award - Rookie of the year

Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award - Best Goaltender

and maybe even the Les Cunningham Award - Most valuable player

These are his stats:

GAA - 2.16 (4th overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

SV% - 0.928 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Wins - 27 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

SO - 5 (T-5th overall in the league, 3rd among rookie goalies)

SOW - 7 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Min - 2945 (2nd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Saves - 1368 (2nd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

He's the only goalie in the entire league who is in the top 5 of every single goaltending category.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could make a case for a better rookie performance. a lot of rookies are doing OK, but none are in the top 20 of their respective stats, never mind top 5 of every category. the highest point total by a rookie is 24th overall, 12th overall for goals (not the same player), 23rd in assists.

2327_lead.jpg

Posted on: Thursday, March 31st, 2011

By Ken Wiebe, Winnipeg Sun

Before he had even shown up in Winnipeg, Eddie Lack had done his homework.

And the unheralded Swedish rookie certainly took notice when it was suggested he might find himself in tough to nail down the backup job with the Manitoba Moose shortly after signing as a free agent with the Vancouver Canucks last summer.

“I read the newspaper before I got here and you guys said I was going to the ECHL, I just wanted to show myself from the start and prove that I can play at this level,” said Lack, who is 27-19-3 this season with five shutouts, a 2.16 goals against average and .928 save percentage in 2,945 minutes during 49 games with the Moose this season. “It was a little bit of inspiration. I know none of you had seen me play. It was a fresh start for me and I wanted to play good right from the start.”

Lack has done just that since coming over for his first season in North America.

Not only did Lack turn heads at Canucks’ training camp, he eventually took a firm grasp on the Moose starting job.

Lack’s momentous rookie campaign was recognized on Wednesday as he was named to the American Hockey League’s all-rookie team.

“It’s a big honour, I think I’ve played pretty good this year so far but I’ve had a lot of help from my teammates, my coach, my trainers and everything,” said Lack. “I’m happy so far. It’s been quite different, with a lot of games and getting prepared for every night but I think I’ve handled it pretty well so far.

Lack, 23, watched Wednesday’s game against the Rochester Americans from the bench, but he’s already exceeded everyone’s expectations but his own.

“I’m pretty much where I thought I would be right now,” said Lack. “I worked hard in the summer so I can (have) a good season. I was preparing myself to do the best as possible. Sometimes, it doesn’t go as planned but this year I’ve played the way I want to.”

To be frank, he’s gone from a virtual unknown to a bona fide prospect who has given the Canucks tremendous depth between the pipes.

“I don’t think about that,” said Lack. “I’m just trying to be as good as I can every day and if other people like me, sure that’s fine. But I want to be happy with myself and with my game.”

Lack had a chance to room with Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo during camp and thoroughly enjoyed the experience to see how the Olympic gold medallist handles himself on a daily basis.

“It was unbelievable working with him every day and learning from him,” said Lack. “I had only seen him on TV so I was pretty nervous at first. Just look at him, he makes it looks so simple all the time. He makes it look so easy. That’s how I play to play too, to be calm in front of my teammates.”

With 49 starts through 75 games, Lack has already played more than any other season but he’s not feeling run down as the stretch drive heats up.

“It’s a lot of hockey and still hopefully a lot of hockey left too,” said Lack. “I don’t feel fatigue or anything. My legs and brain feel good. I’m just looking forward to the rest of the year here.”

Lack caught his teammates attention from the first time they laid eyes on him.

“I noticed him right away at rookie camp that he was really good,” said Moose forward Aaron Volpatti. “From Day 1, he’s been solid and obviously, he’s been huge.”

Lack is expected to be back between the pipes on Friday when the Moose open a three-game road trip against the Americans.

Well Lack didn't get the Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award for the Best Goaltender, that went to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goalie Brad Thiessen.

http://theahl.com/baz-bastien-award-p170494

No word on if Lack was even in the running, but the MTB announcers were discussing Lack's all rookie team recognition and they were surprised that he was even nominated to that team because of the huge eastern Bias in the AHL (way more prevalent than in the NHL apparently).

Updated stats:

#  GOALIE     GP MINS  W  L SOL SO GA  GAA  SVS  SV%   A PIM

31 Eddie Lack 52 3075 28 20  4   5 112 2.19 1438 0.928 2  4
Still dangerously close to Cory's best season:

#  GOALIE     GP MINS  W  L SOL SO GA  GAA  SVS  SV%  A PIM 

35 Schneider  40 2324 28 10  1   5 79 2.04 1014 0.928 0  4

Updated stats:

#  GOALIE 	GP MINS  W  L SOL SO GA  GAA  SVS  SV%   A PIM

31 Eddie Lack 52 3075 28 20  4   5 112 2.19 1438 0.928 2  4
Still dangerously close to Cory's best season:

#  GOALIE 	GP MINS  W  L SOL SO GA  GAA  SVS  SV%  A PIM 

35 Schneider  40 2324 28 10  1   5 79 2.04 1014 0.928 0  4

Lack is in the running (and a strong candidate) for the following AHL awards:

Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award - Rookie of the year

Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award - Best Goaltender

and maybe even the Les Cunningham Award - Most valuable player

These are his stats:

GAA - 2.16 (4th overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

SV% - 0.928 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Wins - 27 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

SO - 5 (T-5th overall in the league, 3rd among rookie goalies)

SOW - 7 (3rd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Min - 2945 (2nd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

Saves - 1368 (2nd overall in the league, 1st among rookie goalies)

He's the only goalie in the entire league who is in the top 5 of every single goaltending category.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could make a case for a better rookie performance. a lot of rookies are doing OK, but none are in the top 20 of their respective stats, never mind top 5 of every category. the highest point total by a rookie is 24th overall, 12th overall for goals (not the same player), 23rd in assists.

:towel:

Another season in the Moose for Lack to polish his game. Schneider will be backup again (with 25 starts) for the Canucks next year (barring a trade). I expect Schneider to traded after next year (in the offseason). Then Lack will be backup for Luongo in 2012-13. Hopefully MG will get Lack to sign a 3yr contract (so we can get a solid 3yrs of backup goalie...assuming Lack does just as well as Schneider).

Archived