The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

:towel:

Another season in the Moose for Lack to polish his game. Schneider will be backup again (with 25 starts) for the Canucks next year (barring a trade). I expect Schneider to traded after next year (in the offseason). Then Lack will be backup for Luongo in 2012-13. Hopefully MG will get Lack to sign a 3yr contract (so we can get a solid 3yrs of backup goalie...assuming Lack does just as well as Schneider).

Dang, woulda been nice to see Lack win it. He's been so good for the Moose for so long now too. But this bodes well for our goalie depth. It's so sad that now we locked up Luongo we have all these other good young goalies in Schneider and Lack (Joe Cannata too possibly), when you look at a few years ago when Vancouver was such a goalie graveyard, led by the infamous Cloutier.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

The more I hear about this guy, the more I want to see Schneider moved on draft day. He seems ready. His numbers are just as good as Schneider's were in the AHL. If we win the cup this year, it will only increase Schneider's value, as although he was the backup, a cup ring and experience counts nonetheless. Also, he started one game.

VAN: Jacob Markstrom, Quinton Howden

FLA: Cory Schneider, Mario Bliznak, 2nd round pick

Personally, I want to see Schneider moved for a very good young goalie prospect. The most attractive trade would be to FLA for Jacob Markstrom. FLA has no goaltender (Vokoun leaving as a UFA and Markstrom clearly not ready for the starting job yet) and Dave Tallon needs to start winning now, and he's known to overpay for players he need ie. Brian Campbell, Marian Hossa of the Blackhawks. Cory would fit perfectly in the young, cheap rebuild of FLA. This kid Markstrom as a 19 year old took the starting job on Brynas ahead of our very own Eddie Lack last year. Markstrom is only 20 and will need at least a couple seasons in the AHL. During those two years, Eddie Lack could back up Luongo for a couple years until we trade him for a big return like Schneider (except not for a goalie prospect, but a top 6 or blue chip defense prospect). Once we trade Lack, we can grab a UFA backup for a year and by the end of that, Luongo will be 35 and Markstrom 23. At this point, we can bring Markstrom up to back up Luongo for 2 years. After the backup stint, Markstrom will be 25 and Luongo 37. At this point, these two can battle for the starting job and we would have one of the best young goaltenders in the league and a good veteran backup.

Looking at NJ right now, they need a good young goaltender to replace Brodeur, who is 38 now. But by trading Schneider for Markstrom, we buy time to develop a player who is possibly the best goaltending prospect in recent drafts that can take over when Luongo reaches the age of 38.

The question is, would Tallon be willing to part with Markstrom...He just might if he can't grab any UFAs and needs a goaltender.

I'll take Lack over Markstrom, thanks.

Lack has looked leaps and bounds better than his counterpart, both in their first year in NA.

Also, Markstrom's 21, not 20; he's only 2 years younger than Lack (almost to the day). I guess it couldn't hurt to get Markstom back just in case, and then you trade away the weakest of the 2 when the time arrives, but I'm confident in Lack. Watching him play live really sold me on him, and Lack is performing on par with Schneider at the same age (with an arguably worse team than Schneider's.)

Player	  Age	GP	A	PIM	Min	GA	EN	SO	GAA	W	L	T	Svs	Pct

Lack	  23	53	2	4	3135	118	3	5	2.26	28	21	4	1474	0.926

Schneider 23	40	0	4	2324	79	2	5	2.04	28	10	1	1014	0.928

Guest Dasein

I'll take Lack over Markstrom, thanks.

Lack has looked leaps and bounds better than his counterpart, both in their first year in NA.

Also, Markstrom's 21, not 20; he's only 2 years younger than Lack (almost to the day). I guess it couldn't hurt to get Markstom back just in case, and then you trade away the weakest of the 2 when the time arrives, but I'm confident in Lack. Watching him play live really sold me on him, and Lack is performing on par with Schneider at the same age (with an arguably worse team than Schneider's.)

Player  	Age	GP	A	PIM	Min	GA	EN	SO	GAA	W	L	T	Svs	Pct

Lack  	23	53	2	4	3135	118	3	5	2.26	28	21	4	1474	0.926

Schneider 23	40	0	4	2324	79	2	5	2.04	28	10	1	1014	0.928

The primary reason I want Markstrom is because he is younger than Lack. I don't think Luongo will deteriorate enough for Lack to be a starter when he's entering his prime. When Luongo's 37-38, Lack would have spent 5-6 years backing up Luongo...If he is as good as you and I think he is, Lack will walk/get traded far before Luongo starts to deteriorate. Which is why I am splitting 2-3 years of backup role for Lack then 2-3 years of backup role for Markstrom. By the time Markstrom reaches 26-27(only 1-2 years older than Cory Schneider) Luongo will be 37-38, and the transition from one franchise goaltender to another would be seamless.

Also, you underestimate Markstrom grossly. He is considered to be Sweden's goaltender of the future. He's represented Sweden at WJC twice (2009 1.63GAA 0.943Sv%/2010 2.21GAA 0.927Sv%) and once already at the 2010 WC against men as a 20 year old and earned bronze (played 3 games and won all 3, posting 1.33GAA 0.944Sv%).

Also, I mentioned that Lack was Markstrom's backup last year in SEL. Lack is slightly bigger at 6'4" (Markstrom is 6'3") and this situation reminds me of the Backstrom-Rinne situation where Rinne was Backstrom's backup but is now clearly the better goaltender. However, Backstrom is 33 and Rinne's 28. Lack was already older than Markstrom when he was backing him up. There still is a chance that Lack can develop into a better goaltender, but as of right now, Markstrom still has the pedigree and a higher ceiling in terms of potential.

Also, first year in the NA can be deceiving. Markstrom might not have gotten used to it as fast as Lack did. And Lack does play behind a better team than Markstrom, does he not? I wouldn't count Markstrom out based on 1 year in NA because he's had the pedigree that Lack lacks tongue.gif

Guest Dasein

Yeah, I think Luongo's 12 year contract really forces us to focus a lot on the transition time of his deterioration and the entering of his backup goaltender's prime. We are forced to use young, promising, and most importantly,cheap backups that won't stay for more than 3 years because by then, they'd be ready for a starting job...We are manufacturing NHL starters and basically giving them away because we have Luongo for 12 years at 5.33 million blink.gif

Some teams are going to be thanking us for the Cory Schneider and the Eddie Lack...and perhaps more.

Markstrom's team was about the same as Lack's this season. I mean the vast majority of their losses were 1-2 goal games, something that a good goalie could have turned from a loss to a win quite easily with a timely save or 2.

Yeah, I think Luongo's 12 year contract really forces us to focus a lot on the transition time of his deterioration and the entering of his backup goaltender's prime. We are forced to use young, promising, and most importantly,cheap backups that won't stay for more than 3 years because by then, they'd be ready for a starting job...We are manufacturing NHL starters and basically giving them away because we have Luongo for 12 years at 5.33 million blink.gif

Some teams are going to be thanking us for the Cory Schneider and the Eddie Lack...and perhaps more.

Cool, thanks. I don't follow AHL as much. That makes sense, and Lack is definitely a good goaltender who's been saving the Moose's asses. But I still don't want to put too much emphasis on the first year in NA. Markstrom could turn out just as good and probably better IMO.

Guest Dasein

If Markstrom can put it all together consistently then he'll be a force, for sure; but this season really shook his confidence.

If we do acquire him, then hopefully he can get over it and gain the confidence and reach his potential.

If we don't get him, then I hope it eats away at him and shakes him to the core so he ends up being a shell of his former self. :emot-parrot:

Cool, thanks. I don't follow AHL as much. That makes sense, and Lack is definitely a good goaltender who's been saving the Moose's asses. But I still don't want to put too much emphasis on the first year in NA. Markstrom could turn out just as good and probably better IMO.

Archived