The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

Eddy Lack is a Beast rite know he was 2.5 seconds away from a Shut out tonight in winnipeg against the Chicago Wolves..he is 6-0 in the last 6 and has a shut in that time..

Brutal!

Stinking Wolves score with 2.5 seconds left... that's got to suck. At least they got the win, I guess!

New Lack article from the Winnipeg Free Press (Gary Lawless): http://www.winnipegf...-112793799.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Canucks' eyes will be on Lack

Eager to assess Moose goalie as club plays in Abbotsford

By: Gary Lawless

Posted: 3/01/2011 1:00 AM

All eyes in Abbotsford this week will be on Manitoba Moose goalie Eddie Lack and all tongues will be wagging about what the Vancouver Canucks should do with their new-found wealth in net.

Former Moose Cory Schneider has made his step to the NHL, displaying the aplomb and effectiveness fans witnessed in Winnipeg the last couple of seasons and Lack has emerged as a surprise prospect, making the Canucks more than a one-man band in goal.

For a time -- and Canucks brass backed it up by making Roberto Luongo both captain and the league's best-paid goalie -- it was Bobby Lu or bust in Vancouver. And bust was the operative word each spring as Luongo and the Canucks imploded in the post-season.

Talk of trading from strength is beginning to bubble and that's never a bad idea, but we say it's better to enjoy the depth and competitive culture of having three competent goalies.

Some patience with a young netminder and a quirky but successful draft selection now has Vancouver boasting three potential No. 1 goalies and holding a handful of options. Why rush to disperse the depth in exchange for a rent-a-player?

Schneider's development and Lack seemingly coming out of nowhere to make a name for himself has given Canucks GM Mike Gillis choices where once he had only anxiety.

The Moose, fresh off a weekend split with the Chicago Wolves, including a dismal 3-2 loss on Saturday night, will play the Abbotsford Heat Monday and Tuesday in the Canucks' backyard with fans and team management afforded the opportunity to get a good look at Lack and see what all the fuss is about.

Saturday's loss was the first in seven starts for Lack as he ran off six straight wins to vault the Moose up the North Division standings.

Lack had little help in the loss to the Wolves as his teammates were decidedly sleepy, but his play this season has underpinned a strength in net the Canucks previously coveted.

A Luongo swoon used to be a cause for panic, but now it's the opening of opportunity. When Luongo went in the tank during last season's playoff loss to the Chicago Blackhawks -- there was no thought of inserting Andrew Raycroft.

A similar dip in the No. 1 man's play this season would quickly result in Schneider's entrance.

The AHL's best goalie the last two seasons has proven capable at the highest level and his workload is beginning to increase. Schneider is undefeated in regulation play with a 6-0-2 mark and has gained the all-important confidence of Canucks coach Alain Vigneault.

Lack, meanwhile, has shot from virtual unknown to top-prospect status.

This past summer, the only member of the Canucks organization who had seen Lack play was scout Lars Lindgren, but the lanky Swedish netminder turned heads at training camp and has established himself as the No. 1 goalie with the Moose.

Lack owns a 13-7-2 mark and with a 1.98 goals-against average and .930 save percentage is ranked sixth among AHL goalies.

The Canucks, long bereft of depth in goal, now find themselves as flush as any NHL organization.

Gillis has applied patience and steady tweaks to his roster and the Canucks are now a legitimate favourite in the Western Conference.

Trading Schneider has long been considered a given among Canucks observers but that's no longer the case. Vancouver needs little extra at this stage and dealing Schneider would be rash.

Moving a potential star after careful development wouldn't be productive either.

Better to have a crowded crease and options rather than one superstar carrying the weight of the franchise on his shoulders.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca

Moose this week

-- Tonight -- at Abbotsford Heat, 9 p.m.

-- Tuesday -- at Abbotsford Heat, 9 p.m.

-- Friday -- vs. Hershey Bears, 7:30 p.m., MTS Centre

-- Saturday -- vs. Hershey Bears, 7:30 p.m., MTS Centre

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 3, 2011 C3

Eddie Lack named AHL Goaltender of the Month for December.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Eddie Lack of the Manitoba Moose has been named the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month for December. Lack made nine starts on the month and went 7-2-0 with a 1.99 goals-against average, a .935 save percentage and one shutout, lifting the Moose from fifth place to second in the North Division.

Can someone please run it by me why we would trade Schneider again? We are making runs at the Cup over the next two seasons. He's the perfect insurance piece. Why risk a Luongo injury. Keep the depth and see what happens. I'm willing to lose him for nothing as a UFA if it means he could be there when we need him.

Can someone please run it by me why we would trade Schneider again? We are making runs at the Cup over the next two seasons. He's the perfect insurance piece. Why risk a Luongo injury. Keep the depth and see what happens. I'm willing to lose him for nothing as a UFA if it means he could be there when we need him.

Because you don't try to lose major assets for nothing. I'm not saying we go out and trade Schneider ASAP, but if the right deal comes a long, then by all means you do it.

There will always be quality goalies to find/draft/develop, eg. Eddie Lack.

Eventually, if the workload between Luongo and Schneider gets closer to 50/50, Cory will start asking for a major raise, something the Canucks might not be able to afford.

As for insurance, if Lack happens to be at least as good as Schneider, you're fine.

I'm not saying your philosophy is right or wrong, just IMO, I think you should lose players for nothing.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with both of you. However we are in the midst of a 2-5 year Cup window and one Lu groin pull away from disaster. I believe Cory is only expendable during the off season if and when we acquire a top backup. The problem with that is that Cory is at the right price for next year as well as this one. I am not against letting him go for nothing if it means Cup insurance.

Potential for Stanley Cup run >>>>> Cory Schneider trade value

Under normal circumstances I would agree with both of you. However we are in the midst of a 2-5 year Cup window and one Lu groin pull away from disaster. I believe Cory is only expendable during the off season if and when we acquire a top backup. The problem with that is that Cory is at the right price for next year as well as this one. I am not against letting him go for nothing if it means Cup insurance.

Potential for Stanley Cup run >>>>> Cory Schneider trade value

I'm sorry, but were you asleep for Saturday's loss to Detroit? That team was missing, arguably, the league's best forward in Datsyuk, Cleary, Modano, Filpula and Stuart but they still held us to a measly one goal (scored on a powerplay).

Kesler needs a top flight winger to give us Detroit's type of forward depth. I'm fine with us keeping Schneider for this year's run but if we fall short in the conference finals vs Detroit (something that I'm expecting to happen) this season, Gillis is gonna need to be pedaling Schneider, Raymond & whatever else it'll take to get Parise out of Jersey.

Archived