315 replies to this topic

#151 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,279 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

The only worry I would have about keeping Schneider another year is his value plummeting.

Look at what happened with Dallas and Minnesota a few years back. Both had highly touted young rookies playing behind elite veteran starters. Dallas parlayed Smith into a package for Brad Richards, while the Wild hung on to Harding. Both of those goalies could be had for nothing today, but Dallas struck while the value was highest.

Then again, Gillis doesn't want to just make a run this year. Schneider will continue to be an invaluable insurance policy next season. If Luongo gets hurt, especially in the playoffs, nothing we could possibly have got for Cory would have been worth it.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#152 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

The only worry I would have about keeping Schneider another year is his value plummeting.

Look at what happened with Dallas and Minnesota a few years back. Both had highly touted young rookies playing behind elite veteran starters. Dallas parlayed Smith into a package for Brad Richards, while the Wild hung on to Harding. Both of those goalies could be had for nothing today, but Dallas struck while the value was highest.

Then again, Gillis doesn't want to just make a run this year. Schneider will continue to be an invaluable insurance policy next season. If Luongo gets hurt, especially in the playoffs, nothing we could possibly have got for Cory would have been worth it.

The only way Schneider's value plummets is if Schneider starts playing like a backup goaltender next season, in which case, we will be able to sign him for another year or two to back up Luongo at a cheap price. And he'll bounce back, but we'll still have him at a bargain.

So really, a win-win for us IMO.

If Schneider's value comes down, we can sign him at that value. If Schneider's value stays the same or goes up, we get a few decent draft picks or some assets and picks for his negotiation rights.

I don't think we need to trade Schneider unless we get something absolutely amazing in return like I suggested a page back on this thread.

#153 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

Personally I think Lack could be a more successful NHL'er than Markstrom. Lack is a later bloomer that I think will surpass Markstrom.

I would be happy with moving Schneider at this year's draft, when his value will probably be the highest (getting a young guy like him still with a year on his deal is very valuable in the cap era). Obviously thats IF the right deal was offered in return. If so, Lack is given a chance to compete with some journeyman tender, and if he's ready, backs up LU, and if not, he would get another year in the AHL.

I just feel that the return for Schneider when he's an RFA will be far less than if we moved him while he's secured for a year.

#154 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

Supposedly he grew even more over the summer!?! Can someone confirm? And by how much?!?

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#155 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

When will Eddie Lack be NHL ready he is in the AHL right now when will he be ready for the NHL.?
Posted Image

#156 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

He is 95% backup NHL ready so he will get his shot when Schneider leaves/

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#157 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

As for Eddie Lack, we should send down Luongo and call this man up. He is the greatest goalie in Canucks history and is just lacking a chance to show it off.

Would also clear some cap space.

Still sticking with this.

I think Lack has more potential than Luongo or Schneider. Unfortunately it's a radical thought and it would be impossible to debate it with stats. (Eddie put up better SVP in his first AHL season than Cory OR Roberto?)

Can't wait until he gets a chance at the NHL level.

#158 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:40 PM

missed the age of the post....nevermind

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 19 September 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#159 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:43 PM

Supposedly he grew even more over the summer!?! Can someone confirm? And by how much?!?

I read an article on that but I think the fact that he is so long, people forget..I dont think he literally grew more. He is 23, and 6'5...hopefully he put on a few pounds onto that 194 lb frame.

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 19 September 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#160 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

Challenge Weiman? Lack was the starting goalie for the moose last season and is arguably the best goalie in the AHL right now.

Weiman has been replaced by Climie for the Wolves. And actually, him and Weiman split time last year. Their was no clear starter. Also, if you check league stats, Lack isn't one of the best in the league yet but, I do think he has potential to be in a year or two.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#161 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

^ By the end of the year Lack was definitely the starter as he played in 12 playoff games vs. Weiman's 4.

Not to mention 53 regular season appearances vs. Weiman's 29.

Also Eddie had the 4th best SVP in the AHL amongst goalies in the regular season last year and he was a rookie to North American ice.

(3rd most amount of saves, 7th GAA, 3rd in shootout wins, 5th in wins (1st amongst rookies, 3rd in minutes played (not a starter?))

Maybe you should check the league stats?

Edited by Thomas Gradin, 20 September 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#162 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Weiman has been replaced by Climie for the Wolves. And actually, him and Weiman split time last year. Their was no clear starter. Also, if you check league stats, Lack isn't one of the best in the league yet but, I do think he has potential to be in a year or two.

after about 20 games into the season it was clear lack was the starter, and he played nearly 3 times as many games as weiman and played the lions share of playoff games. Lack was also in the top 10 of every goalie stat in the AHL, #1 for rookie goaltenders, and Lack is most definately the starter over climie.

#163 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

I can't believe Eddie is listed at only 187lbs.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#164 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Around April, I think.

April 2010 actually.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#165 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

I wonder how many preseason games Lack will get.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#166 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

I wonder how many preseason games Lack will get.

he'll probably play tomorrow.

#167 #1Luongo06

#1Luongo06

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Developing a mancrush on the guy, hes been wicked and a "steady eddie" pardon the pun. It's funny how the Canucks have Goalie depth in all 3 positions, backup starter and farm... We are sure spoiled. The only thing we need now is a franchise Dman.

I think if not this year, next year Schneids will be moved to make room for the Stork!
He is the guy that will truly flourish under Rolly Melansons style since he was so raw and big coming out of Sweden as an unknown.

Edited by #1Luongo06, 25 September 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#168 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I wouldn't be surprise if Lack gets a couple of regular season games. He is so poised and confident in net that I am starting to think MG and AV pbbly feel comfortable having Lack as the back up if they get a good offer for Schneider this year.

I think Lack will finish the year as our backup.

#169 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

Looks like he's playing tonight! Posted Image
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#170 ramone1984

ramone1984

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

It has certainly been a treat watching Lack play this pre-season, we appear to have been very fortunate with this pick. I am super high on him, but I for one don't think he's quite ready for the NHL. I'm not critisizing, but I can't help but compare his movements and positioning to Schneiders play ....and Luongo's. It's not fair to compare Lack to Schneider given their age difference....let alone Luongo! But while Lack looks great, he doesn't look as good as Schneider. His movements and timing are just a little bit more "scrambly." He's quick and he's big and athletic, and with the right development we may have an exceptional goalie on our hands, but he really needs a bit more time and polish in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree with the folks who propose trading Schneider and promoting Lack to back-up Luongo. I think he'd not only be inferior to Schneider in terms of playing ability at this stage, but he'd also be infinitely better served being the number one guy in Chicago where he can log big minutes.

All that being said, it's great to see such a talented youngster suiting up in the pre-season and excelling! Who knows, at the trade deadline the situation might look different and MG might pull the trigger on a deal too good to say no to.

Cheers,

Ramone
Thanks for the sig Tv9924!
Posted Image

#171 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

He actually seems to be playing better than Cory in the preseason. :blink:

canucks141.png

#172 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

If this guy wants to be an elite NHL goaltender, he better start bulking up. I mean, 6'5" and 187lbs? Are you for real? Like, come on, man. Let's get serious and hit the frigging gym.

You might say that weight has nothing to do with goaltending that the extra weight might slow him down. No way, Jose. Take a look at the 3 Vezina candidates from 2011 - Winner Tim Thomas (5'11" 201lbs), Runner-up Roberto Luongo (6'3" 217lbs), Finalist Pekka Rinne (6'5" 209lbs). As you can see, all of them are pretty ripped. And Rinne, being the same height as Lack, is a full 22lbs heavier than him. That's what it takes to be an elite goaltender. Weight matters because it is a part of player conditioning - you need to bulk up to the weight at which you can give the highest performances.

You can't just be tall and lanky - you need muscles to move faster. Of course being heavier might slow you down - that's only the case if you gain fat or too much muscle. It's pretty evident that Lack at 6'5" and 187lbs doesn't have to worry about gaining too much muscle. I agree that Lack needs to work on his game further, but the biggest concern is gaining muscle IMO. Just by putting on 10-20lbs more we might see a far more complete goaltender in Lack.

The goal for this guy should be at least breaking 200lbs. For a guy that's 6'5", I don't think it's too hard a question to ask.

EDIT: I just want to say that I think Lack is phenomenal goaltender with tons of raw skill and size. Heck, he could even be a backup to Luongo if we trade Schneider and I would be pretty comfortable with him in net. But the key difference here is that Lack is capable of more, and he could be elite. The key component would be to gain more muscle.

Edited by Dasein, 26 September 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#173 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,587 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

If this guy wants to be an elite NHL goaltender, he better start bulking up. I mean, 6'5" and 187lbs? Are you for real? Like, come on, man. Let's get serious and hit the frigging gym.

You might say that weight has nothing to do with goaltending that the extra weight might slow him down. No way, Jose. Take a look at the 3 Vezina candidates from 2011 - Winner Tim Thomas (5'11" 201lbs), Runner-up Roberto Luongo (6'3" 217lbs), Finalist Pekka Rinne (6'5" 209lbs). As you can see, all of them are pretty ripped. And Rinne, being the same height as Lack, is a full 22lbs heavier than him. That's what it takes to be an elite goaltender. Weight matters because it is a part of player conditioning - you need to bulk up to the weight at which you can give the highest performances.

You can't just be tall and lanky - you need muscles to move faster. Of course being heavier might slow you down - that's only the case if you gain fat or too much muscle. It's pretty evident that Lack at 6'5" and 187lbs doesn't have to worry about gaining too much muscle. I agree that Lack needs to work on his game further, but the biggest concern is gaining muscle IMO. Just by putting on 10-20lbs more we might see a far more complete goaltender in Lack.

The goal for this guy should be at least breaking 200lbs. For a guy that's 6'5", I don't think it's too hard a question to ask.

EDIT: I just want to say that I think Lack is phenomenal goaltender with tons of raw skill and size. Heck, he could even be a backup to Luongo if we trade Schneider and I would be pretty comfortable with him in net. But the key difference here is that Lack is capable of more, and he could be elite. The key component would be to gain more muscle.

Tukka Rask is 6'2" and only 165 lbs, and he led the league in GAA and SV% two seasons ago.

For some goalies, weight isn't that important. Lack's game relies on him being quick and agile. And just because he's underweight for his height, doesn't mean that he doesn't have alot of muscle in his legs. That's all that really matters after all.

He is also only 23, and still probably has some filling out to do. By the time he's 25, and in his physical prime, he'll likely weigh closer to 200 anyways.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#174 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

When you say the word speed and muscular, I'm assuming you're thinking along the same lines as a skater/sprinter, in which legs and core are a major focus during lifting. However, speed for a goalie is completely different than speed for a skater. It isn't about being more muscular and being able to expend more power per stride.

Speed = stride frequency x stride length (result of power per step). That doesn't apply to a goalie since they rarely take 2+ strides unless chasing down a puck on a ring around, or a clearance. A goalie's speed is from their fast twitch development and first step - how well they react and push off. That means they don't have to be muscular (which has other issues for butterfly keepers). All a keeper really needs is the ability to push off/explode from one skate to get the push to get across.

Size for a goalie doesn't mean they'll play slower. It means they'll have a lack of flexibility and range of motion. An extreme example would be Ronnie Coleman. He's jacked, but can't scratch his own head. Squats result in tightening the external rotators. This is observed in a lot of hockey players anyway, when considering a typical hockey stride (push off and drive from the inner edge with the toes pointing out). Pushing off in the butterfly relies on the same posterior chain, with far more focus on the gluteus maximus and minimus. Too much lifting can cause the external rotators to dominate, which can then lead to other knee ligament injuries. A common occurrence beyond strong external rotators (duck feet) is a tight IT band. The IT band limits how flexible at the hips a person is. A tight IT band means a goalie won't be able to sink down into a butterfly completely. Try the butterfly, and drop your butt as much as possible. You should be able to feel a stretch on the outside of your hips. That's the IT band.

If you look at Pekka Rinne and Roberto Luongo in a suit, their legs are not very big. The cut of a suit may have something to do with it, but the folds are straight down. I'm guessing most of their weight is in their core/ass to help them fight off bumps from players/getting through a screen. I will agree that Lack should gain some weight, but not to become more muscular as you want. Just become stronger in the core so he can fight through screens and player traffic a lot better.

#175 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

When you say the word speed and muscular, I'm assuming you're thinking along the same lines as a skater/sprinter, in which legs and core are a major focus during lifting. However, speed for a goalie is completely different than speed for a skater. It isn't about being more muscular and being able to expend more power per stride.

Speed = stride frequency x stride length (result of power per step). That doesn't apply to a goalie since they rarely take 2+ strides unless chasing down a puck on a ring around, or a clearance. A goalie's speed is from their fast twitch development and first step - how well they react and push off. That means they don't have to be muscular (which has other issues for butterfly keepers). All a keeper really needs is the ability to push off/explode from one skate to get the push to get across.

Size for a goalie doesn't mean they'll play slower. It means they'll have a lack of flexibility and range of motion. An extreme example would be Ronnie Coleman. He's jacked, but can't scratch his own head. Squats result in tightening the external rotators. This is observed in a lot of hockey players anyway, when considering a typical hockey stride (push off and drive from the inner edge with the toes pointing out). Pushing off in the butterfly relies on the same posterior chain, with far more focus on the gluteus maximus and minimus. Too much lifting can cause the external rotators to dominate, which can then lead to other knee ligament injuries. A common occurrence beyond strong external rotators (duck feet) is a tight IT band. The IT band limits how flexible at the hips a person is. A tight IT band means a goalie won't be able to sink down into a butterfly completely. Try the butterfly, and drop your butt as much as possible. You should be able to feel a stretch on the outside of your hips. That's the IT band.

If you look at Pekka Rinne and Roberto Luongo in a suit, their legs are not very big. The cut of a suit may have something to do with it, but the folds are straight down. I'm guessing most of their weight is in their core/ass to help them fight off bumps from players/getting through a screen. I will agree that Lack should gain some weight, but not to become more muscular as you want. Just become stronger in the core so he can fight through screens and player traffic a lot better.

Ahh, I was not talking about skating speed when I was saying 'speed.' It's more about reflexive speed ie. how fast you can kick out your leg with heavy pads on, how fast you can turn and find the shooter at across the ice, how fast you can lift your arms to make the save with all that gear on, etc. Pretty clear that with more muscle, you can move faster in your crease.

Despite Rinne and Luongo not being that big, they are still above 200lbs. If Rinne doesn't look that big, think of how anorexic Lack looks. He's the same height but 22lbs lighter...

Tukka Rask is 6'2" and only 165 lbs, and he led the league in GAA and SV% two seasons ago.

For some goalies, weight isn't that important. Lack's game relies on him being quick and agile. And just because he's underweight for his height, doesn't mean that he doesn't have alot of muscle in his legs. That's all that really matters after all.

He is also only 23, and still probably has some filling out to do. By the time he's 25, and in his physical prime, he'll likely weigh closer to 200 anyways.

True (except Rask is 169lbs - which is still way too light). But Rask hasn't been able to keep form since then. Maybe Rask needs to add some muscle to his body...

#176 Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I love watching Eddie Lack play he is skilled and uses his size to his advantage. I think that if we do end up trading schnieder or (nobody freak out just leaving room for the possible) Luongo he would be a cabable back up and in the future he could be a high level goaltender in the League

#177 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

insightful post. lots of new things for me to absorb.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#178 Verloren

Verloren

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Ahh, I was not talking about skating speed when I was saying 'speed.' It's more about reflexive speed ie. how fast you can kick out your leg with heavy pads on, how fast you can turn and find the shooter at across the ice, how fast you can lift your arms to make the save with all that gear on, etc. Pretty clear that with more muscle, you can move faster in your crease.

In this case, muscle doesn't correlate completely with reflexive speed. His work could be all about plyometrics, which are far more focused towards how explosive a player can be and recruiting muscle fiber efficiency. More muscle can help, but just doing plyometric exercises (box jumps, box squats, clapping pushups etc) should be able to get Lack to be able to push off faster. Maybe he can do gymnastic training like GSP. Get size, conditioning, and explosive power in one regime!

Reflexive speed also comes from experience and film study. It's the same reason why NFL teams spend so much time breaking down and understanding film. Once you know that look the other team is giving, there are situations which help a player react faster. Unfortunately, being fast and able to move quickly doesn't have much to do with reflexive speed, just countless hours of repetition and study.

#179 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Extremely happy w/ Lacks performance. I believe he s going to be very important before the seasons over.

#180 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

Eddie made 31/33 saves last night.

Unfortunately let in both the first 2 shootout goals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.