The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

^ By the end of the year Lack was definitely the starter as he played in 12 playoff games vs. Weiman's 4.

Not to mention 53 regular season appearances vs. Weiman's 29.

Also Eddie had the 4th best SVP in the AHL amongst goalies in the regular season last year and he was a rookie to North American ice.

(3rd most amount of saves, 7th GAA, 3rd in shootout wins, 5th in wins (1st amongst rookies, 3rd in minutes played (not a starter?))

Maybe you should check the league stats?

Weiman has been replaced by Climie for the Wolves. And actually, him and Weiman split time last year. Their was no clear starter. Also, if you check league stats, Lack isn't one of the best in the league yet but, I do think he has potential to be in a year or two.

Developing a mancrush on the guy, hes been wicked and a "steady eddie" pardon the pun. It's funny how the Canucks have Goalie depth in all 3 positions, backup starter and farm... We are sure spoiled. The only thing we need now is a franchise Dman.

I think if not this year, next year Schneids will be moved to make room for the Stork!

He is the guy that will truly flourish under Rolly Melansons style since he was so raw and big coming out of Sweden as an unknown.

I wouldn't be surprise if Lack gets a couple of regular season games. He is so poised and confident in net that I am starting to think MG and AV pbbly feel comfortable having Lack as the back up if they get a good offer for Schneider this year.

I think Lack will finish the year as our backup.

It has certainly been a treat watching Lack play this pre-season, we appear to have been very fortunate with this pick. I am super high on him, but I for one don't think he's quite ready for the NHL. I'm not critisizing, but I can't help but compare his movements and positioning to Schneiders play ....and Luongo's. It's not fair to compare Lack to Schneider given their age difference....let alone Luongo! But while Lack looks great, he doesn't look as good as Schneider. His movements and timing are just a little bit more "scrambly." He's quick and he's big and athletic, and with the right development we may have an exceptional goalie on our hands, but he really needs a bit more time and polish in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree with the folks who propose trading Schneider and promoting Lack to back-up Luongo. I think he'd not only be inferior to Schneider in terms of playing ability at this stage, but he'd also be infinitely better served being the number one guy in Chicago where he can log big minutes.

All that being said, it's great to see such a talented youngster suiting up in the pre-season and excelling! Who knows, at the trade deadline the situation might look different and MG might pull the trigger on a deal too good to say no to.

Cheers,

Ramone

If this guy wants to be an elite NHL goaltender, he better start bulking up. I mean, 6'5" and 187lbs? Are you for real? Like, come on, man. Let's get serious and hit the frigging gym.

You might say that weight has nothing to do with goaltending that the extra weight might slow him down. No way, Jose. Take a look at the 3 Vezina candidates from 2011 - Winner Tim Thomas (5'11" 201lbs), Runner-up Roberto Luongo (6'3" 217lbs), Finalist Pekka Rinne (6'5" 209lbs). As you can see, all of them are pretty ripped. And Rinne, being the same height as Lack, is a full 22lbs heavier than him. That's what it takes to be an elite goaltender. Weight matters because it is a part of player conditioning - you need to bulk up to the weight at which you can give the highest performances.

You can't just be tall and lanky - you need muscles to move faster. Of course being heavier might slow you down - that's only the case if you gain fat or too much muscle. It's pretty evident that Lack at 6'5" and 187lbs doesn't have to worry about gaining too much muscle. I agree that Lack needs to work on his game further, but the biggest concern is gaining muscle IMO. Just by putting on 10-20lbs more we might see a far more complete goaltender in Lack.

The goal for this guy should be at least breaking 200lbs. For a guy that's 6'5", I don't think it's too hard a question to ask.

EDIT: I just want to say that I think Lack is phenomenal goaltender with tons of raw skill and size. Heck, he could even be a backup to Luongo if we trade Schneider and I would be pretty comfortable with him in net. But the key difference here is that Lack is capable of more, and he could be elite. The key component would be to gain more muscle.

If this guy wants to be an elite NHL goaltender, he better start bulking up. I mean, 6'5" and 187lbs? Are you for real? Like, come on, man. Let's get serious and hit the frigging gym.

You might say that weight has nothing to do with goaltending that the extra weight might slow him down. No way, Jose. Take a look at the 3 Vezina candidates from 2011 - Winner Tim Thomas (5'11" 201lbs), Runner-up Roberto Luongo (6'3" 217lbs), Finalist Pekka Rinne (6'5" 209lbs). As you can see, all of them are pretty ripped. And Rinne, being the same height as Lack, is a full 22lbs heavier than him. That's what it takes to be an elite goaltender. Weight matters because it is a part of player conditioning - you need to bulk up to the weight at which you can give the highest performances.

You can't just be tall and lanky - you need muscles to move faster. Of course being heavier might slow you down - that's only the case if you gain fat or too much muscle. It's pretty evident that Lack at 6'5" and 187lbs doesn't have to worry about gaining too much muscle. I agree that Lack needs to work on his game further, but the biggest concern is gaining muscle IMO. Just by putting on 10-20lbs more we might see a far more complete goaltender in Lack.

The goal for this guy should be at least breaking 200lbs. For a guy that's 6'5", I don't think it's too hard a question to ask.

EDIT: I just want to say that I think Lack is phenomenal goaltender with tons of raw skill and size. Heck, he could even be a backup to Luongo if we trade Schneider and I would be pretty comfortable with him in net. But the key difference here is that Lack is capable of more, and he could be elite. The key component would be to gain more muscle.

When you say the word speed and muscular, I'm assuming you're thinking along the same lines as a skater/sprinter, in which legs and core are a major focus during lifting. However, speed for a goalie is completely different than speed for a skater. It isn't about being more muscular and being able to expend more power per stride.

Speed = stride frequency x stride length (result of power per step). That doesn't apply to a goalie since they rarely take 2+ strides unless chasing down a puck on a ring around, or a clearance. A goalie's speed is from their fast twitch development and first step - how well they react and push off. That means they don't have to be muscular (which has other issues for butterfly keepers). All a keeper really needs is the ability to push off/explode from one skate to get the push to get across.

Size for a goalie doesn't mean they'll play slower. It means they'll have a lack of flexibility and range of motion. An extreme example would be Ronnie Coleman. He's jacked, but can't scratch his own head. Squats result in tightening the external rotators. This is observed in a lot of hockey players anyway, when considering a typical hockey stride (push off and drive from the inner edge with the toes pointing out). Pushing off in the butterfly relies on the same posterior chain, with far more focus on the gluteus maximus and minimus. Too much lifting can cause the external rotators to dominate, which can then lead to other knee ligament injuries. A common occurrence beyond strong external rotators (duck feet) is a tight IT band. The IT band limits how flexible at the hips a person is. A tight IT band means a goalie won't be able to sink down into a butterfly completely. Try the butterfly, and drop your butt as much as possible. You should be able to feel a stretch on the outside of your hips. That's the IT band.

If you look at Pekka Rinne and Roberto Luongo in a suit, their legs are not very big. The cut of a suit may have something to do with it, but the folds are straight down. I'm guessing most of their weight is in their core/ass to help them fight off bumps from players/getting through a screen. I will agree that Lack should gain some weight, but not to become more muscular as you want. Just become stronger in the core so he can fight through screens and player traffic a lot better.

When you say the word speed and muscular, I'm assuming you're thinking along the same lines as a skater/sprinter, in which legs and core are a major focus during lifting. However, speed for a goalie is completely different than speed for a skater. It isn't about being more muscular and being able to expend more power per stride.

Speed = stride frequency x stride length (result of power per step). That doesn't apply to a goalie since they rarely take 2+ strides unless chasing down a puck on a ring around, or a clearance. A goalie's speed is from their fast twitch development and first step - how well they react and push off. That means they don't have to be muscular (which has other issues for butterfly keepers). All a keeper really needs is the ability to push off/explode from one skate to get the push to get across.

Size for a goalie doesn't mean they'll play slower. It means they'll have a lack of flexibility and range of motion. An extreme example would be Ronnie Coleman. He's jacked, but can't scratch his own head. Squats result in tightening the external rotators. This is observed in a lot of hockey players anyway, when considering a typical hockey stride (push off and drive from the inner edge with the toes pointing out). Pushing off in the butterfly relies on the same posterior chain, with far more focus on the gluteus maximus and minimus. Too much lifting can cause the external rotators to dominate, which can then lead to other knee ligament injuries. A common occurrence beyond strong external rotators (duck feet) is a tight IT band. The IT band limits how flexible at the hips a person is. A tight IT band means a goalie won't be able to sink down into a butterfly completely. Try the butterfly, and drop your butt as much as possible. You should be able to feel a stretch on the outside of your hips. That's the IT band.

If you look at Pekka Rinne and Roberto Luongo in a suit, their legs are not very big. The cut of a suit may have something to do with it, but the folds are straight down. I'm guessing most of their weight is in their core/ass to help them fight off bumps from players/getting through a screen. I will agree that Lack should gain some weight, but not to become more muscular as you want. Just become stronger in the core so he can fight through screens and player traffic a lot better.

Ahh, I was not talking about skating speed when I was saying 'speed.' It's more about reflexive speed ie. how fast you can kick out your leg with heavy pads on, how fast you can turn and find the shooter at across the ice, how fast you can lift your arms to make the save with all that gear on, etc. Pretty clear that with more muscle, you can move faster in your crease.

Archived