The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WHLThread

Went to my first WHL game in nearly 30 years on Saturday! Was a big fan of the Victoria Cougars as a kid in the days of Fuhr, Courtnalls, Pederson etc. Got to see a decent game with an exciting comeback and OT win for the home team Victoria Royals. Was a little surprised and disappointed at the lack of intensity and not even a sniff of a fight. Not how I remember junior hockey! Nevertheless we had fun and I got to share with my young son. Tickets were affordable too. Will be back again a few times this season. If my schedule allowed it I would buy season tickets. The other thing that really stood out to me was some atrocious defensive efforts and horribly timed pinch plays.

Me too! I still have my Cougars jersey. It will never fit again though. First hockey game I ever attended was the Cougars vs the Seattle Breakers, Fuhr was in net.

I'm not in town anymore so I can only cheer the Royals from afar, but I'll be in town in November so I'm definitely going to catch a game or two then.

I hear they have $5 tickets on Mondays for the games that week. Have you tried to get in on those? Are they tough to get?

I hadn't heard about that. Will check it out! Unfortunately my shift work schedule is only allowing 2 games before Christmas for me.

I've got signed mini-sticks from the old Cougars team. Booster club buttons and hockey cards. Guys like Lupul, Chernomaz, Fuhr, Courtnalls Palmer Cyr etc etc. Such a great team! I used to love the pre-game warmup ducking pucks and running and fighting for them!

Archived