The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WHLThread

There was a story in the Province today about how they picked up Taylor Makin off waivers from PG.

I didn't even know the WHL had waivers. I've followed various WHL teams (depending on where I lived) since the '70s and it's the first time I've heard about waivers. Is it just to give a pecking order when a club releases a kid? Does it apply if they are sending a prospect back to their junior A club?

Does anybody know the WHL waiver rules? I tried Google and found a couple of references to kids getting claimed off waivers but nothing else.

Congrats to Brendan Gallagher:

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL – Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced Wednesday the signing of forward Brendan Gallagher to a three-year (2012-13 to 2014-15). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

After 18 games with the WHL Vancouver Giants, Gallagher ranks first on his team and seventh in the league with 31 points (18 goals and 13 assists). He leads the Giants and comes fifth in the WHL for goals (18), and ranks second in the league for powerplay goals (8). The 5’08’’ and 174 lbs right winger displays a +8 plus/minus differential and served 25 penalty minutes.

Named Team WHL captain for the fifth game of the 2011 Subway Super Series, Gallagher will take part in tonight’s game against Team Russia, in Regina, Saskatchewan.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Gallagher, 19, has recorded 234 points (113 goals and 121 assists) in 208 games since his junior debut with Vancouver. He was drafted in the fifth round, 147th overall by the Canadiens at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Gallagher took part in his second training camp with the Canadiens in 2011, playing in five preseason games, recording one assist (0-1-1), 14 shots on goal and 4 penalty minutes. He was returned to the WHL Giants on September 30.

Archived