The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15yr Girl in Delta beaten to death

key2thecup

Update: Delta Police released a description of a person of interest in the death of Laura Szendrei:

•A young man, between 16 and 25 years of age, was walking out of Mackie Park on 81A Avenue, heading eastbound at 1:15 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.

•He had a backpack and a cell phone and may have been talking or texting on the device.

•He is of medium build and was wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and "cargo-style" knee-length shorts.

Anyone who may have any information about this homicide is asked to call the Delta Police at 604 946 4411.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Teen+girl+dies+after+attack+Delta+park/3580818/story.html#ixzz10hPaJyh5

The latest report:

Police say they have a person of interest in the brutal murder of a 15-year-old girl in a busy community park in North Delta Saturday afternoon.

“As a result of initial investigative efforts the Delta police are looking to speak to a person who may have information that may further our investigation,” said Delta police Sgt. Sharlene Brooks Sunday night.

Police described the male as 16-to-25 years old, medium build wearing a white short-sleeve shirt and cargo-style shorts to the knees.

The male had what is believed to be a backpack on his back and was either on the phone or texting while walking out of the park at 81A Ave. heading eastbound at 1:15 p.m.

“Is he a suspect? No,” said Brooks. “We’re not certain if there’s information this individual may have that could further our investigation, but that’s something we want to appeal to the public.”

Residents of the quiet, middle class North Delta neighbourhood were shocked by the brutal murder of Laura Szendrei, a Grade 10 student at Burnsview Secondary School, who died early Sunday in hospital from injuries suffered in the assault in a wooded area of Mackie Park at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

“I’m devastated. I feel so sorry for the parents,” said Judy Novakowski, who lives near the park.

“It’s very sad. It’s terribly frightening.”

Some students claimed that Laura had been sprayed with “Mace” a week earlier during a confrontation with a number of other young people.

Mackie Park and adjoining Sands Secondary School and Gray Elementary School were behind yellow police tape yesterday as police scoured the wooded area, which included walking and bicycle paths, and playing fields, for evidence.

Police say they don’t know if it was a random or targeted attack. And they would not confirm reports that a baseball bat was used in the attack.

“There’s been no indication whether there was or was not a weapon used,” said Brooks. “And if in fact there was a weapon used, the type.”

Brooks said “numerous” members of the Delta police force led by the serious crime unit are investigating the murder.

“Everyone, plain clothes and uniform was called in,” said an undercover police officer Sunday.

The Delta School District opened Burnsview Secondary to all students Sunday at 3 p.m. for “grief counselling” as students and the community tried to come to grips with what happened.

Brooks warned everyone to take precautions and be “vigilant” by travelling in busy areas, with other people and carry a cellphone to call for emergency help.

“Until we can be certain as to what we’re dealing with, we encourage everyone to employ those safety measures,” said Brooks.

All Delta schools are closed Monday for a professional day.

From her East Vancouver home Szendrei’s grandmother, Yvonne Szendrei, said no one has any idea why the teen was attacked.

Szendrei said Laura was walking through a wooded area of Mackie Park Saturday to meet up with a small group of friends who lived on the other side of the park.

Laura’s friends have told police and her family that they heard someone screaming loudly, “Help, Help!”

They ran toward the voice.

“They were there in 15 seconds and no one was there but Laura on the ground,” said Szendrei.

“Somebody hit her on the head with something.”

A weeping Szendrei could not comprehend the violence.

“My granddaughter was an honour student. She was a good soccer player,” she said. “We all think our kids are the best, but she was a very good girl.”

The teen lived with her mom, dad and older sister Sarah, 18.

“Right now I feel so sorry for my 18-year-old granddaughter. She feels so alone,” said Szendrei.

She said Laura had many male pals but didn’t have a boyfriend.

At least two Facebook sites were set up yesterday in Laura Szendrei’s memory.

One Facebook page, called Justice for Laura Szendrei had over 500 members mid-day Sunday.

One member posted this comment: “RIP Laura, I didn’t know you, but this is disgusting. I’m horrified this could happen in Delta . . . What’s happening here?”

Another said: “And the bastard who did this — you can run but you can’t hide. You better start counting the days left until you’re behind bars!”

Delta police and school officials urged teens and parents to get their information from official sources and not from social networking sites.

“The Delta police force are appealing to young people to not to rush to judgment, to react to rumours or speculation that may be on Facebook or other social media avenues,” said Brooks.

Police are appealing to anyone with information on the attack to call Delta Police at 604 946-4411.

Laura was such a good friend of mine. I can honestly tell you all that she was the nicest, most innocent girl I have ever met in my life.

I last talked to her Friday after school, and we were talking about how sick the next weekend was going to be. It still hasn't hit me that such a good friend

has passed.

School without Laura just wont be the same.

Rip Laura, You'll always be in my heart :(

Laura was such a good friend of mine. I can honestly tell you all that she was the nicest, most innocent girl I have ever met in my life.

I last talked to her Friday after school, and we were talking about how sick the next weekend was going to be. It still hasn't hit me that such a good friend

has passed.

School without Laura just wont be the same.

Rip Laura, You'll always be in my heart :(

Still having trouble processing this being so close to home. I can't even imagine what her family and friends are going through. I feel like I should be doing something... all I seem to be able to offer are my condolences.

Does anyone one know if there's any trust fund, memorial service, charity in her name, volunteer etc that people can help out with?

Still having trouble processing this being so close to home. I can't even imagine what her family and friends are going through. I feel like I should be doing something... all I seem to be able to offer are my condolences.

Does anyone one know if there's any trust fund, memorial service, charity in her name, volunteer etc that people can help out with?

Archived