The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

15yr Girl in Delta beaten to death

key2thecup

It now appears this death could be linked to three earlier attacks in the same general area:

Fear and uncertainty are taking hold in North Delta.

On the third day since the brutal killing of 15-year-old Laura Szendrei, area residents and students worry a serial stalker is attacking women.

Residents are pointing to the similarity of Laura’s beating and subsequent death to that of three attacks on women in the general area in May, June and July.

“I think they’re connected,” said resident Wendy Hawkins.

Other residents agree, and police and high-school administrators are warning everyone to be extra cautious, travel in groups and stay where there is pedestrian and vehicle traffic.

Students leaving Burnsview Secondary School — where Laura was a popular Grade 10 student — were taking extra precautions Tuesday.

“They told us to walk in groups of two or three and don’t walk alone,” said Grade 8 student Amanda Abbott.

“Nobody wants to walk in Mackie Park [where Laura was beaten Saturday in broad daylight],” said Katelin Knapp, a Grade 12 student.

In an emotional meeting with fearful and angry community members Monday night, Delta police Chief Jim Cessford said “obviously, there may be a connection” between the attack on Laura and three previous attacks on women that occurred within several blocks.

“Whoever did this is mentally disturbed,” said John Keyton, visiting with his two young daughters Tuesday at one of two shrines to Laura at Mackie Park. “Nobody in their right mind would do this.”

On June 7, a woman was jogging in a bog area on Santa Monica Drive, not far from Mackie Park, and was struck on the head from behind, police say. The suspect was described as a five-foot, seven-inch man wearing a blue hoodie and black shorts.

Police say the incident is similar to a May 24 attack in the 9200-block 112th Street in which a woman was walking on a path when someone approached from behind and struck her on the head. There has been no suspect description.

A third attack happened on July 21, when a woman walking with a friend in the 7800-block 112th Street was approached from behind by a man who suddenly grabbed her buttocks. The attacker is described as a white man wearing a light-coloured, short-sleeve shirt and black shorts, about five feet, eight inches tall.

None of the women was seriously injured.

Delta Mayor Lois Jackson said she knows the public is desperate for information on the case, but “police are very close to the chest on this one — there’s so much at stake.”

Meanwhile, the two shrines to Laura in the park continue to gather flowers, balloons, pictures and notes.

“There’s one more Angel in heaven R.I.P. Laura,”’ says one note.

Another says: “R.I.P. Laura. We will miss you forever.” And one in crayon: “Laura will never be forgotten. We love you Laura all of us . . .”

With the Canadian flag at half-mast and a police car outside the main entrance, students at Burnsview said the mood was “sad” and “down.”

So, obviously, "reason" states that we should never ever care, because youth are murdered in different places? People care more if it happens in their community specifically because it's in their community. How would that make a person feel, when a 15 year old girl is murdered where they live? It would make them feel like where they are living is less safe. It would make them wonder what it would be like if that was their sister, or daughter, because it happened so close to home and it could happen to anyone. bringing something closer to home always hits harder. OF COURSE THEY WOULD CARE. Don't post crap like that. You're looking to pick a fight. Not the right place.

<br />Uh, no. A 15 year old being murdered is a 15 year old being murdered is a 15 year old being murdered. The end.<br /><br />Everyday kids are murdered, starved, raped, killed in car crashes. <br /><br />So, now one unfortunate one hits home and it's the end all be all? Sorry, she is just as important as one dying in Sierra Leone, Brisbane or Maui. No more, no less. A loss of human life. <br /><br />Sorry, you and everybody else around you has had to face the reality of life this past week.<br />

So to you my mother dying would be the same as your mother dying? A mother is a mother is a mother. The end.

We're more closely connected to the people in our family than the people in our community. We're more closely connected with the people in our community than those in our Province. And so on.

Losing someone we're more closely connected is more meaninful. They are closer to us. She was more similar to us than someone in Sierre Leone.

Remember the good ol' day when people fought 1 on 1 with only their fists? Or at least if it's a brawl, it's pretty much even?

Back then, when you lost, it's over, that it! Move on!

Now it's all.... "omg... he's bigger and stronger than me... I'll just use my knife!" or "He will kick my butt 1 on 1... I know! I'll bring everyone with me and we'll gang up on him!"

It seems the "unwritten rules" don't exist anymore.

I blame video games and their abilities to: save and reloaded if needed, lol.

In my world, your punishment will be the exact same crime you committed, against yourself.

So if you beat someone to death with a baseball bat, you get beaten to death with a bat as well.

Only people exempt are those giving the punishment out :).

Ah, my happy, little world...

Uh, no. A 15 year old being murdered is a 15 year old being murdered is a 15 year old being murdered. The end.

Everyday kids are murdered, starved, raped, killed in car crashes.

So, now one unfortunate one hits home and it's the end all be all? Sorry, she is just as important as one dying in Sierra Leone, Brisbane or Maui. No more, no less. A loss of human life.

Sorry, you and everybody else around you has had to face the reality of life this past week.

Serial stalker?

There have been two further attacks Monday night on women in Surrey not far from where Laura Szendrei was murdered. The suspect fits the same description that police have termed person of interest in her death.

Police in Delta and Surrey are comparing notes after a sex attacker struck twice on Monday night in Surrey, not far from the North Delta area where a serial stalker is feared on the loose.

Two women told police they were grabbed from behind and sexually assaulted by a man at around 10:40 p.m. near the King George SkyTrain station.

The Surrey RCMP put out a call for “public assistance in identifying a suspect responsible for two incidents in Surrey last night,” Sgt. Peter Thiessen said in a press release Tuesday.

Both women describe the attacker as a Caucasian male in his early 20s, five-foot-seven, with a thin build and brown or black short hair. He was clean-shaved, possibly with acne scars and wearing a black jacket and blue jeans.

The suspect description is similar to the person of interest Delta police are urgently seeking, following the brutal murder of 15-year-old Laura Szendrei in Mackie Park on Saturday.

Delta police told fearful community members its possible her killing could be connected to several stalker-type attacks near the park within the last few months, involving a young, white male suspect.

Thiessen said Delta police and the Surrey RCMP will be comparing files in the separate cases, following Monday’s attacks.

A spokesperson for the Surrey police force said the attacks are being compared, but at this point there is no reason to believe they are connected.

According to the Surrey police release at around 10:40 p.m. in the 9900-block 138 Street, a man grabbed an 18-year-old woman by the shoulders and pushed her into a wall. The woman fended him off and he fled toward the King George SkyTrain station.

A short time later, near the station, a 57-year-old woman was attacked in a similar manner and sexually assaulted, police said. She also fended off her attacker, but suffered minor injuries.

Archived