The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying a car from the states

apollo

Hi everyone, I really need some help! This is my first time buying a car, let alone buying one from the states.

To be exact I'm buying it from California, is there a certain percentage you have to pay to register the car once you get here or a percentage you have to pay at the border? Or does it depend on the cars black book value or the price you buy the car for.

All help is appreciated thank you!

• 1 year later...

^ Buy from the states...

- taxes aren't much

- take a picture of the guy off your cell if needed (sneak a pic?) *want to be safe

- get info on his business (or home) *want to be safe

- activate your 3 days once you are the official owner of the truck (you can drive it right through if you plan on going for an extended trip)

Go to the border one day if you need to do anything additional information, they'll tell you everything you need to know.

www.riv.ca

Gives you step by step on how to import.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/buy-vehicle/import-vehicle

You need to let CBSA know 72 hours in advance if possible. If it's not plated or insured you'll need a binder of insurance from ICBC, and a trip/in-transit permit (like a paper license plate) to get the vehicle home issued by the state you're buying it in, unless you're getting it on a flatdeck.

Depending on the year, you'll need it inspected federally/provincially (or both).

Unless you're getting a smokin' deal it may or may not be worth the hassle. Remember to get the ORIGINAL Certificate of Title. No title you're screwed. I was looking at importing a motorcycle and even though there's less hoops with motorcycles, it's still a lot hassle in my opinion.

Oh and by the way if you're buying from the US, any warranties are void once you import it into Canada. (Canadian dealerships will not honour US warranties, punishment for not buying from Canada, this if from the guys who I talked to who bought motorcycles from the US.)

So far I only see 1 fee and that's the RIV $195.95 + HST to register a US car. If that's all, seems like a great deal? I've also heard if cars are older than 10 years than you don't pay any taxes and as great as warranty would be, I guess that's the way it'll have to be, we'll see what happens.

Also thanks everyone ^, but anyone else with more experience would always help.

You will most likely need to have a daytime running lights module installed.

For anyone who thinks that it is too much trouble, it isn't.

I bought my car new in the states, brought it back, saved $8K. Takes a few hours of research and a day or two to bring it back, depending on how far you go to pick it up.

Warranty honoured in Canada (need to check the manufacturer). Paid RIV + HST + environmental fees. HST you would have to pay in Canada anyways.

If buying luxury cars, it is not uncommon to be saving $10-$20K.

If 1 day and some driving + paperwork is too much hassle for saving $8K, then I would like to walk a mile in your shoes.

Guest BuckFoston

I had to pay a 200$ customs tax on a crappy used laptop bought in the US that was worth about the same. I shudder to think what you'd have to pay on a car.

Oh and by the way if you're buying from the US, any warranties are void once you import it into Canada. (Canadian dealerships will not honour US warranties, punishment for not buying from Canada, this if from the guys who I talked to who bought motorcycles from the US.)

Archived