Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Buying a car from the states

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#31 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

I was very close on pulling the trigger on a 89 GTA Trans Am that was down in Seattle a few months ago but decided to forget it when I started looking into the importing process. Sounded like a total nightmare, and if you don't have EVERY little piece of proper paperwork in order when you hit the boarder then you're in big trouble. If you could find somebody who's done it before that could help you step by step it would be a huge help and probably worth it. I couldn't so I didn't want to take the chance.

#32 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

I was very close on pulling the trigger on a 89 GTA Trans Am that was down in Seattle a few months ago but decided to forget it when I started looking into the importing process. Sounded like a total nightmare, and if you don't have EVERY little piece of proper paperwork in order when you hit the boarder then you're in big trouble. If you could find somebody who's done it before that could help you step by step it would be a huge help and probably worth it. I couldn't so I didn't want to take the chance.

Or you can do what someone advised already in this topic, and just go down to the border, talk to the CBSA, and find out exactly the information you need as I doubt it's a secret nor will they lie to you about it. Then, require the dealer to produce necessary documents before/while purchasing the vehicle.

Simple.

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 September 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#33 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Or you can do what someone advised already in this topic, and just go down to the border, talk to the CBSA, and find out exactly the information you need as I doubt it's a secret nor will they lie to you about it. Then, require the dealer to produce necessary documents before/while purchasing the vehicle.

Simple.

Just giving my personal opinion on the subject, chill. By all means look into it, but for me it's pretty much not worth the hassle. But it might be different for you.

#34 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just giving my personal opinion on the subject, chill. By all means look into it, but for me it's pretty much not worth the hassle. But it might be different for you.

If you do it right, you can save a few grand, the hassle is definitely worth it. You just have to do your research.

Which I'm trying to do right now.

Edited by Armada, 05 September 2012 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#35 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Since when? I have a US car, passed the inspection and is legally insured. So how was I able to get insurance if it was "required"??

You got lucky because someone didn't do their job properly. I believe after model year 1993 or 1994 every car in Canada is required to have daytime running lights. It's the law.

What is the year and make of your vehicle? Who inspected it?

Either pre-1993 or inspected by someone who didn't "really" inspect it.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#36 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

You got lucky because someone didn't do their job properly. I believe after model year 1993 or 1994 every car in Canada is required to have daytime running lights. It's the law.

Either pre-1993 or inspected by someone who didn't "really" inspect it.

Weird... I guess no ones doing their job, good to know no one takes their job seriously? :lol:

My friend owns a 2009 Scion Xb with no daytime running lights and my moms boss bought an older 4runner and they don't have any either.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#37 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Weird... I guess no ones doing their job, good to know no one takes their job seriously? :lol:

My friend owns a 2009 Scion Xb with no daytime running lights and my moms boss bought an older 4runner and they don't have any either.

Most cops won't make a big deal about it. But if they are ever given a ICBC vehicle inspection, unless the technician doing it is either paid off or an idiot, the car will not pass.

Here's a link from Drive Smart BC

http://www.drivesmar...-running-lights

Imports must have DRL installed before they can be licensed in BC.

Edited by SukhKular, 06 September 2012 - 01:03 PM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.