The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PIJHL

PowerIce

What position you play?

Ever thought of playing in the KIJHL (Kootenay International Junior Hockey League)? My 16 yearold nephew is playing his rookie season in Creston. It's a quality league. A little more travel mind you since it stretchs from Kamloops to Spokane (they actually do have 1 US team) but Princeton is in a bit of a rebuild.

Sockeyes took out the hometown Ice Hawks 6-3 Tuesday and tonight steam rolled Mission 9-2 at Minoru. The 2 wins put them 1pt up on Delta in the standings.

The line of Pare, Hunter and Siemens was on fire. Hunter got in a bit of a scrum in the 3rd in front of the Icebreakers net, then the next shift out the 2 that were roughing it up dropped the gloves. I give Hunter the decision.

Isn't the biggest guy, but skates like the wind and isn't afraid to mix it up. And you can tell he takes his roll as captain to heart.

Pilots have really been slumping these last couple of weeks, not really sure what's up with them. Everyone else in the standings have closed the gap significantly. Going to be an exciting last 20 games for the Pilots and see if we can regain ground on everyone else and put ourselves far ahead of everyone else where we belong.

Big win over the Devils this past Friday, kinda surprised me beating a team like the Devils by such a big score. Couple of hat tricks from Riley Lamb (3, 1) and Bradley Parker (3, 0) Good for the Pilots! Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

<br />I was there standing behind the benchs up at the rail and was disgusted by the conduct of the Kodiaks coach, players and fans.

Jessie Seimens gets blind sided in the 3rd and leaves the game probably as a precaution incase he has a concussion given he has already this season been run from behind into the boards by the Pilots Lamb and missed a few games. Kodiaks player gets 5 and a game.

Then in one of the worst incidents I have seen at a rink live, I believe it was #21 Saretsky gets a check to the head. Keep in mind, at this point it is already 6-2 Sockeyes with less than half the 3rd to play. He was out cold on his feet and falls to the ice and slides into a good 15ft into the corner. That is how hard he was hit that the momentum of the check sent him that far.

The Sockeye and Kodiak trainers got to him quick and at one point called for a neck brace. But as he came to and they assesed the situation he eventually sat up, then with the help of the trainers and his captain Patrick Hunter heads off to the dressing room on his own feet.

The hit was bad enough, but the whole time this kid is out cold on the ice the Kodiaks coach and whole bench are hurling insults at the Sockeyes bench to the point that the Kodiaks coach gets tossed from the game. The player that made the hit was given a Checking to the Head major and a match penalty. I didn't catch his number but he will be suspended so it should show up on the PIJHL's discipline page. There have been 3 check to the head incidents this season and each time they have been given 2 games. I believe that a major and match penalty come with an automagic 1 game so he could be looking at 3 games. But this coach should be suspended/fined. His conduct was pathetic. He should be setting an example for these kids. Down 6-2 takes your loss and plan what your next practice will look like to correct your mistakes. Don't go all slapshot out there.

But some of the Aldergrove fans were just as bad. After play finally gets underway again they yell out stuff like &quot;Don't break any more Richmond players&quot;.

I wrote a letter to the league president that's how pissed off I was last night. Yeah I cheer for the Sockeyes, but I don't care what team you are from, there is no room in the game for the crap that went on last night.<br />

Abbotsford-native and ex-Pilot Derek Grant played in the outdoor game between Michigan State Spartans and Michigan Wolverines. He won the game-opening face off.

Derek Grant played one season with the Pilots leading the team in points in 2006-07 and went along to win the PIJHL championship that very year. ^_^abbotsford-pilots-photo-apr.jpg

The highly skilled playmaking pivot wasted little time making an impact with the Spartans, finishing second in team scoring last season (12 goals, 18 assists, 30 points in 38 games). Through 18 games as a sophomore, he’s third on the Michigan State scoring list with three goals and 11 assists.

Grant was drafted in the fourth round by the Ottawa Senators (119th overall) in 2008, and he’s been to the NHL team’s training camp each of the past three years. With two more years of NCAA eligibility remaining, Grant said he’s not anxious to turn pro.

I'd still say the most exciting game I've seen in person was a PIJHL game. Back in 01 or 02 the Pilots were playing against the Ridge Meadows Flames at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre (with Olympic size ice), which is a 5 minute walk from my house, instead of their usual MSA Arena.

This game was super fast, back and forth, lots of hitting, lots of goals, lots of fights. It had the intensity of the Stanley Cup Finals (and this was in Fall). There was one player on the Flames that me and my buddies were heckling so hard. He had long blonde hair and tucked in the right side of his jersey, we kept calling him "Gretzky," "All star," "hotshot," whatever. 

I've never seen a hockey game with so many fights. I think the game took at least three and a half hours, there were so many. They tossed so many players out of the game that they couldn't toss anymore. No exaggeration, seriously! They were down to the five on the ice and maybe five on the bench, and the fights didn't stop! They kept going and going. They seemed to be trying to kill each other, or die trying. I can't even express how intense this game was. I still remember it so vividly. The crowd was wild!

I was inspired to go see another Pilots game that same season, this time at MSA Arena. I think it was against the Richmond Sockeyes. It was very meh. Kinda boring, actually. Slow, sloppy, subpar. You could tell you were watching rejects from the BCHL. The stands were half-empty, and the biggest reactions were for the intermission entertainment. I've never watched one since.

This thread has inspired me to maybe check out another Pilots game this year. Maybe I can settle which game I saw is closer to normal.

<br /><br /><br />

canucksgirl1234 - FYI, Taylor Christopher is the player suspended for the headshot on Stephen Saretsky last Thursday.

---No, FYI you're wrong, it was Chad Veillet.

Smirnoffice - Just 2 games, eh? I guess they're following the same criteria as the NHL in a weird way.

---He got a 9 game suspension, after writing an apology letter.

old_time_hockey - Aldergrove can't afford to fight or cheapshot anymore. I still can't believe that little puke Taylor Christopher only got 2 games for that check to the head.

When he comes back he should be a marked man.

---For someone whos name is 'old time hockey', you sound like a peewee players mom by writing a letter to the league. Taylors hit was perfectly timed on the weak side forward who was looking left to receive a suicide pass. It looked like a great hit until the ref saw blood on the richmond players face from his visor coming down and hitting him.

As for what you said earlier about the hit sending him 15ft. into the corner... it was more like 25ft. and it was from Saretsky's speed entering the zone. The hit was from the weak side D-man who was coming straight laterally along the top of the circle. Saretsky had his hips opened up from the Kodiaks player that bumped him while entering the Kodiaks zone - losing the puck behind him which is why he was looking down and didnt see the hit - and was hit square in the chest. The concussion more than likely came from when the back of his head hit the glass behind him.

This was not a hit from behind, not a flying elbow, not a jumping hit.. i have video (not Richmonds video that they put on the internet) that has a great angle to see the hit and it deserved a boarding penalty because Saretsky was about 2 ft away from the boards, but not a 9 game suspension because the player got a concussion (and from what i've heard he has had concussion issues before but i dont know if thats true or not).

canucksgirl1234 - I just re-watched last week's Sockeyes game against the Kodiaks. Turns out not only was Taylor Christopher the one who knocked Saretsky out, he was the one who crushed Jessie Siemens earlier in the game as well

---okay... maybe re-watch the game again and explain how taylor made this hit from the dressing room 8 mins after he got kicked out of the game.

PS: Taylor and Chad are both 5'8" 165lbs. Seimens is 6'1" 182lbs and Saretsky is 5'11" 175lbs. These arent 2 meat-heads that are in the league to take runs at people because theyre 6'4" 220lbs so dont say they should be marked men. Tell the Richmond players to keep their heads up and know where the other players are on the ice (this is coming from a player that has had concussion issues from being hit from behind a few to many times)

old time hockey - It's not up to you to be a hero and write letters to the league on something that you have zero to no knowledge of. One fan beaked Richmond and you get all up tight about it?

It was the Richmond coach that started the yelling match between benches after the Saretsky hit, but he disappeared when the ref turned around to see the Kodiaks assistant coach yelling back at him which is what you saw too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PIJHL Playoffs:

Conference Finals (2nd Round):

Tom Shaw Conference

sockeyes-tn.png (1st) VS icehawks-tn.png (2nd) - Series Tied 3-3

Game 1 - Richmond Sockeyes Defeat Delta Ice Hawks 4-3 (OT) In Richmond

Game 2 - Delta Ice Hawks Defeat Richmond Sockeyes 6-1 In Delta

Game 3 - Richmond Sockeyes Defeat Delta Ice Hawks 4-3 (OT) In Delta

Game 4 - Richmond Sockeyes Defeat Delta Ice Hawks 5-3 In Richmond

Game 5 - Delta Ice Hawks Defeat Richmond Sockeyes 3-2 (OT) In Richmond

Game 6 - Delta Ice Hawks Defeat Richmond Sockeyes 4-3 (OT) In Delta

Game 7 - Delta Ice Hawks @ Richmond Sockeyes - Wednesday, March 16

Harold Brittain Conference

pilots-tn.png(1st) Defeat blackpanthers-tn.png (2nd) 4-3

Game 1 - Abbotsford Pilots Defeat Port Moody Black Panthers 5-1 In Port Moody

Game 2 - Port Moody Black Panthers Defeat Abbotsford Pilots 3-1 In Abbotsford

Game 3 - Port Moody Black Panthers Defeat Abbotsford Pilots 2-1 In Port Moody

Game 4 - Port Moody Black Panthers Defeat Abbotsford Pilots 3-2 In Abbotsford

Game 5 - Abbotsford Pilots Defeat Port Moody Black Panthers 7-1 In Abbotsford

Game 6 - Abbotsford Pilots Defeat Port Moody Black Panthers 4-3 In Port Moody

Game 7 - Abbotsford Pilots Defeat Port Moody Black Panthers 6-3 In Abbotsford

Scoring Leaders:

1. Rudi Thorsteinson (Richmond Sockeyes) - GP: 9; G: 5; A: 12; Pts: 17

2. Kevin Lourens (Abbotsford Pilots) - GP: 11; G: 13; A: 3; Pts: 16

3. Riley Lamb (Abbotsford Pilots) - GP: 11; G: 4; A: 11; Pts: 15

4. Cody Fidgett (Delta Ice Hawks) - GP: 10; G: 8; A: 5; Pts: 13

5. Jeremy Hamaguchi (Richmond Sockeyes) - GP: 9; G: 6; A: 7; Pts: 13

Goalie Leaders:

1. Michael James Barr (Mission Icebreakers) - GP: 4; W: 1; L: 1; GAA: 1.97; SV%: .937

2. Brad Anderson (Abbotsford Pilots) - GP: 11; W: 7; L: 4; GAA: 2.13; SV%: .917

3. Nick Enegren (Delta Ice Hawks) - GP: 10; W: 6; L: 4; GAA: 2.30; SV%: .931

4. Aaron Oakley (Richmond Sockeyes) - GP: 9; W: 7; L: 2; GAA: 2.66; SV%: .923

5. Mackenzie Skapski (Ridge Meadows Flames) - GP: 6; W: 3, L: 3; GAA: 2.84; SV% .934

Ice Hawks come back down 3-1 to tie the series as did the Pilots :towel:

Pilots complete the comeback taking out Pomo in 6-3!

Would love to play the Ice Hawks and not Richmond :lol:

Abbotsford fan? I went to my first PIJHL game on Friday. Went to double overtime, it was actually quite an exciting game. I don't think I can make game 7 tomorrow but will try and make a finals game if Richmond makes it. I live about 5 minutes away from Minoru arena.

Abbotsford fan? I went to my first PIJHL game on Friday. Went to double overtime, it was actually quite an exciting game. I don't think I can make game 7 tomorrow but will try and make a finals game if Richmond makes it. I live about 5 minutes away from Minoru arena.

Archived