126 replies to this topic

#61 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Spruce Kings relieve Ed Dempsey from his position with the team. Hire former W.L. Timberwolves coach Dupas.
Spruce Kings proceed to lose 9-4 to Westside in their first game under their new coach.
I have serious doubts as to this being the solution for this team.

Spruce Kings have yet to have a successful season after their team was gutted following their host silver medal performance at the RBC Cup several years ago.

Seems like scouting and long-term recruitment is a problem.

They have called up Chase Golightly from the Fernie Ghostriders on a fulltime basis.

22pts in 21 games in the KI and from what I have seen of him he has wheels.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#62 Windstorm

Windstorm

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Anyone else go to the Coquitlam Express game last night? Not only was it the bear toss, but they also had three awesome guests. Former Canucks captain Kurtenbach was there to sign autographs, Mark Donnelly sang the anthem, and John Ashbridge did the announcing. Really awesome job by the Express staff to get such a great lineup of guests.

#63 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

They have called up Chase Golightly from the Fernie Ghostriders on a fulltime basis.

22pts in 21 games in the KI and from what I have seen of him he has wheels.

He (Golightly) has now played 7 games for the Kings (4 of which I saw in person in PG) with 4 assists and 2 pims. Lets just say that I do not forsee him single-handedly changing the fortunes of this team - although he is definitely not out of place in the BCHL.

If the lowly Kings cannot even catch Quesnel for the last and final playoff spot, I hate to sound negative but they deserve an early exit from the season.

My guess is that they have already told Berra, Fillion, and DeSousa that they will be gone before or at the trade deadline - all three could be very, very useful to any team making a solid run at the title and each deserve a shot if I do say so. Also, Lyndon Martel is all but gone as the Blazers have traded his rights to...I want to say SC of the Dub but I forget exactly what team it was.

Lone bright spots this year for the Kings thus far have been Khaira earning a Div I scholarship as a BCHL rookie and Fillion landing a Div I scholarship as a 20 year old (both to the same school btw - Michigan Tech). Also Berra leading the league in goals while on a last place team - absolutely NO SMALL accomplishment - I hope scouts recognize this accomplishment and he gets to pursue his dream at the next level in the NCAA.

#64 CARTER

CARTER

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

I just came across an old program with Tyler Bozak,Kyle Turris and Casey piero- zabotel. Neat!

#65 Evander Kane

Evander Kane

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

Dallas Drake!
Posted Image

Credit to: Ballard_4 fot this sig!

#66 Lucic17

Lucic17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

How about those Coquitlam Express, LAST in the conference!!!!!!! It won't be long before the team is looking to move else where, they SUCK

#67 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

i found the siver backs captans wallet on the road, returned it then he gave me 50$ and a signed card

Posted Image

#68 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

hmmm, my cousin started playin 4 the merrit centenials, so go senteniels!

Posted Image

#69 GiantCanuckFan

GiantCanuckFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

Burnaby has had three teams:

Burnaby Blue Hawks, 1982-1985
Burnaby Bulldogs, 1998-2002
Burnaby Express, 2005-2010

I agree that there have been some poor business decisions, and that major changes are clearly necessary. Pacey is a goon who does nothing but cost the team, the defensemen are too small, the scorers are constantly in slumps, and the goaltending is inconsistent, but you have to follow a team through the bad times and hope that things get better. Look at the Washington Capitals for example. They were weak for years, but are now contenders for the cup. I too hope Darcy wakes up and makes some changes, but I will stand by my stance that Burnaby is not a good hockey market.

*cough* theres a reason why Langley got rid of him

. . . . Go Chiefs Go! ! ! !
iBelieve.

#70 Windstorm

Windstorm

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

@GiantCanuckFan: No kidding. Luckily he's down playing Junior B now. Did you catch the last Chiefs vs. Express game? It was a pretty exciting one, I was really glad to see the Express finally get an OT win (although the Chiefs clearly weren't playing at their best).

#71 GiantCanuckFan

GiantCanuckFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

@GiantCanuckFan: No kidding. Luckily he's down playing Junior B now. Did you catch the last Chiefs vs. Express game? It was a pretty exciting one, I was really glad to see the Express finally get an OT win (although the Chiefs clearly weren't playing at their best).

Definitely saw that game... I work at the Langley Events Centre, so I'm there for all the Chiefs home games. It was a tough battle, but they got caught slacking near the end the Coquitlam took it!

Edited by GiantCanuckFan, 19 January 2011 - 01:50 PM.

iBelieve.

#72 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

Coastal Final - (2) Surrey Eagles Vs. (1) Powell River Kings - Series tied 1-1
Interior Final - (2) Salmon Arm Silverbacks Vs. (1) Vernon Vipers - Salmon Arm leads series 2-0

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#73 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

So Vernon and Powell River in the finals.

I think it goes 7 games.
Posted Image

I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#74 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Why is Vernon is good
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#75 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Why is Vernon is good

They always have a good program in Vernon. And since they don't have a draft in Jr A .They can recruit anywhere with their reputation. Thats what happens when you have an Owner that cares and put money into his hockey team and its players.

#76 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

They always have a good program in Vernon. And since they don't have a draft in Jr A .They can recruit anywhere with their reputation. Thats what happens when you have an Owner that cares and put money into his hockey team and its players.

The rink in Vernon is a beauty too. When my nephew was playing with the Pursuit of Excellence last year he was in a tournament in Vernon. It has to be one of the best Junior A rinks out there.
Posted Image

#77 23•Qwerty

23•Qwerty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

The rink in Vernon is a beauty too. When my nephew was playing with the Pursuit of Excellence last year he was in a tournament in Vernon. It has to be one of the best Junior A rinks out there.

The ice surface, or the entire arena?

Because I much prefer the ice of the Civic to the Wesbild.

There's just something about playing in the Civic that feels so right.

Edited by 23•Qwerty, 31 March 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image

#78 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

The ice surface, or the entire arena?

Because I much prefer the ice of the Civic to the Wesbild.

There's just something about playing in the Civic that feels so right.

Just the whole arena.
Posted Image

#79 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

So either the Quesnel Millionares are being sold and moved to Chilliwack for the 2011/12 season or will cease operation and withdraw from the BCHL.

The Quesnel Millionaires would like to announce that they have received a written offer from Chilliwack to purchase their franchise and relocate to Chilliwack. Acceptance of this offer is subject to approval by the British Columbia Hockey League Governors. If this offer is not accepted by the League, the Millionaires will voluntarily withdraw from the British Columbia Hockey League.

The move to Chilliwack will be very positive for our players. They will have the opportunity to play in a beautiful building with a first class organization.

The ownership group of the Quesnel Millionaires is very saddened to have to take this step. However, the severe financial losses the group has sustained over the last two years combined with the lack of a firm date for the new multicentre has made this decision necessary.

The Quesnel Millionaires would like to thank all their volunteers, the billet families, their corporate sponsors, fans and the media for their support. We would also like to thank all the people who have worked tirelessly to keep the Millionaires in Quesnel throughout the years as well as the City of Quesnel and their staff.

All paid purchases for the 2011 -2012 will be refunded.

Sad for the people of Quesnel.
Posted Image

#80 The Real Seal

The Real Seal

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

According to wikipedia it's a done deal.

http://en.wikipedia....el_Millionaires

"The Millionaires started out in the Peace Cariboo Junior Hockey League in 1975. The Millionaires are the 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1987 PCJHL Champions. They have also won the 1977, 1978, and 1979 Cyclone Taylor Cup Championships. In 1996, the Millionaires moved to the British Columbia Hockey League.

On May 9, 2011, the BCHL approved the sale of the Quesnel Millionaires to the Chiefs Development Group in Chilliwack, BC. The former Chiefs franchise was renamed the Langley Rivermen in preparation for the Millionaires' return to Chilliwack."

#81 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

So either the Quesnel Millionares are being sold and moved to Chilliwack for the 2011/12 season or will cease operation and withdraw from the BCHL.Sad for the people of Quesnel.

Its ok, the arena is 50 years old, and we couldn't get young kids with talent to play here. Anytime the club drafted someone decent they refused to play and usually ended up getting traded. Hockey is on its way out of town anyhow even at the minor levels. Its the price of the Olympics and price of doing business. I don't doubt that this is happening all over small town b.c. or Canada for that matter.... wondering what our team Canadas will look like 15 years down the road.

#82 mypocketshurt

mypocketshurt

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Its ok, the arena is 50 years old, and we couldn't get young kids with talent to play here. Anytime the club drafted someone decent they refused to play and usually ended up getting traded. Hockey is on its way out of town anyhow even at the minor levels. Its the price of the Olympics and price of doing business. I don't doubt that this is happening all over small town b.c. or Canada for that matter.... wondering what our team Canadas will look like 15 years down the road.

The bchl doesnt have a draft. Any player refusing to report would be players acquired in a trade.

4gxtohk.gif

#83 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

According to wikipedia it's a done deal.

http://en.wikipedia....el_Millionaires

"The Millionaires started out in the Peace Cariboo Junior Hockey League in 1975. The Millionaires are the 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1987 PCJHL Champions. They have also won the 1977, 1978, and 1979 Cyclone Taylor Cup Championships. In 1996, the Millionaires moved to the British Columbia Hockey League.

On May 9, 2011, the BCHL approved the sale of the Quesnel Millionaires to the Chiefs Development Group in Chilliwack, BC. The former Chiefs franchise was renamed the Langley Rivermen in preparation for the Millionaires' return to Chilliwack."

Well the Mills press release was on the 9th. And the BCHL has not reported the deal has been approved.

I know the Chiefs Development Group (CDG) do have someone working on a new website, but I think the Chilliwack Chiefs need to get the Langley Chiefs to sell them/release the Chiefs URL. Which I don't think should be an issue since Langley changed their name to Rivermen.

But I guess the big question now is can the Sprucekings compete in the league anymore cost wise since their closest geographical rival is gone? I know with the new rule changes that there will be more back to backs with a half-interlocked sched to try and save money, but even still.
Posted Image

#84 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

Posted Image
PRINCE GEORGE, BC – The Prince George Spruce Kings are pleased to announce that Skylar Pacheco has committed to the team for the 2011-12 season. Pacheco is a highly skilled defenceman who will compliment an already strong Spruce Kings blue line.

Skylar Pacheco (Pa_check_oh) is a 1994 born defenceman from Kitimat, BC that played last season with the Creston Valley Thundercats of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League. Pacheco was selected to play in the KIJHL Top Prospects Game picking up one point. The 16 year old rookie finished the regular season with 5 goals, and 12 assists in 43 games and also contributed in the post season with a goal and an assist in 13 playoff games.

"We're extremely thrilled to receive a commitment from a player like Skylar," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "He is an extremely intelligent defenceman with tremendous offensive upside, good defensive instincts and great work ethic. Skylar will be a very good player for our organization for several years."

"We are excited to be able to add another player from Northern BC," added Hawes. "From an organizational standpoint, it is important to us to be able to continue promoting players from the North."

The Prince George Spruce Kings are preparing for their 40th season and are looking forward to getting Sklyar Pacheco and the rest of the players back on the ice starting with the team’s main camp in late August.

Posted Image

#85 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

From the Chilliwack Progress

The results of a mail-in vote by the BCHL board of governors should be known early next week as Chilliwack waits on a junior A team to replace the departed Chilliwack Bruins.

BCHL commissioner John Grisdale says the e-mail vote started yesterday (Thursday) and, according to league rules, there is a 14 day window for completion.

There's no way it should take that long and Grisdale expects to have all votes accounted for by the end of the Victoria Day long weekend, leading into an official announcement on or around Tuesday.

Nothing's official yet, but it seems a slam dunk that the relocation of the Quesnel Millionaires will come to pass.

The board has two choices.

Leave an inactive team in Quesnel and get no money, or approve relocation to a proven BCHL market and pocket a share of the relocation fee (speculation has it at $250,000).

Seems an easy choice, but the BCHL wheels are turning remarkably slow.

Also the url www.chilliwackchiefs.com has just been registered
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#86 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

So the League has voted yes, now Hockey BC has to have their say.

I know that the BCAHA has a big hand in the BCHL but not from the business side of it like say the BCHL Governers. I don't know what their debate could be about.
Posted Image

#87 PlanB

PlanB

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

The deal to move the Millionares out of Quesnel and into the Whack is DONE. I was just in Quesnel on long weekend (stop-over for work, went to BARKERVILLE!!!! Very cool place BTW!) and everyone was talking about it there. People don`t think the Spruce Kings will be in danger up there because they (I didn`t know this) generate the majority of their operating costs through a show home lottery so they are financially very stable (their game tickets are the lowest price in the league apparently). They are community owned so profit is not their sole reason for existing (unlike other teams which MUST generate profit or fold/relocate).

What this will do is cause problems for travel for other teams as well as the Kings. No one will enjoy taking the 6-8 hr (or longer for Island teams) drive up to PG to play TWO games (maybe three in some cases - whereas before teams could somewhat justify the travel because they were getting between 4 or 5 games out of the trip between PG/Que) and the board of governors will likely have to address this with some kind of travel subsidy I suspect (I believe this has happened in the past in the BCHL but is not widely known).

In just a short time the league has lost Quesnel and Williams Lake, who`s next? So much for the `heartland` being the soul of hockey as I have read somewhere before.
Posted Image

#88 Fincup13

Fincup13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

Travel for the Prince George team will probably be now close to what Trail has done for years. Assuming back-to-back games in Prince George for Interior Division opponents, travel will not increase this year for most teams. For the 7 interior division opponents it probably means a maximum of 4 games (2trips) to Prince George which even could be combined with a game in Chilliwack or Merritt on the way home. That being said, most of the changes to the league this year (i.e. reduced rosters) are about saving the teams money and if it is cheaper for a team like Merritt to play one game, pile back in the bus and go right back to Merritt instead of paying for a dozen hotel rooms and a couple of extra team meals expect them to do whatever is the most economical

Next season teams only face the 8 teams in the other division once, facing 4 at home and 4 teams on the road. Last year for most teams it was 2 long road trips per year to the other Division and this year I would expect only 1 trip. This year the 4 Coastal teams playing in Prince George could travel up and play PG on Wed, play Okanagan teams 2 games on Fri/Sat and Chilliwack or Merritt on the way back home on Sunday. Expect all teams to only have one road trip in the season to play teams in the other division.

It is sad to see a town like Quesnel lose the Millionaires hockey team after 35 years. They had good corporate support and believe they still had about 500 season ticket holders. Transportation, billet, equipment, ice time, and salary costs have been crippling for even the big market teams in recent years. There are probably only 3 or 4 teams in this league that do anything better than break even.

#89 BuckyHermit

BuckyHermit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

Kind of switching gears here, but I heard a rumor that Surrey wants to develop a new facility near Whalley for the Eagles. Does anyone know what happened to that?

I really hope it happens. They need a better building than the South Surrey Arena.
Posted Image

Anaheim Ducks Towel Invasions

♥ Rolly / 1994-2010 ♥

#90 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

This thread has been pretty quiet for some time now even though the season's a couple of weeks old. Found this preview on the net, thought some people might be interested. As per usual, Penticton/Vernon on top yet again.

BCHL Interior Conference preview

1. PENTICTON VEES

KEY RETURNEES: F Logan Johnston (11-21-32), F Joey Benik (30-26-56), F Curtis Loik (10-16-26), D Troy Stecher (5-15-20), F Travis St. Denis (27-27-54), G Michael Garteig (36-8-3, seven shutouts, 1.69 GAA, 93.4 SV%).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: Minnesota Wild draft pick Mario Lucia scored 30 goals and added 27 assists in 27 games with Wayzata High School. The son of Minnesota Golden Gophers coach Don Lucia , Marco was chosen 60th overall in the 2011 NHL draft. Mike Reilly was drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the fourth round in the 2011 draft. In 2010-11, Reilly led Shattuck’s St. Mary’s defence in scoring with 13 goals and 43 points and helped them capture the Under-18 Tier 1 National Championship. Steven Fogarty, drafted by the New York Rangers in the 2011 NHL Draft, racked up 23 goals and 40 points in 24 games with the Edina Hornets in Minnesota. Local Cody DePourcq scored 23 goals and 47 points in 43 games with the Okanagan Hockey Academy.

STRENGTHS: Speed and size will be the key ingredients for the Vees success. Coach Fred Harbinson has assembled a big team that will move the puck up and down the ice and use its quickness to create offence.

COACH’S QUOTE: Harbinson: “You can say a lot of things about our team. I don’t think you’re going to say we’re boring. We have a fun group to watch. We need people to come out and support the team. Our guys are going to play hard for them.”

2. VERNON VIPERS

KEY RETURNEES: F Patrick McGillis (13-12-25), Mike Zalewski (12-17-29), John Knisley (10-25-35), D Brett Corkey (1-23-24), G Kirby Halcrow (3.03 GAA, 90.1 SV%).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: As the son of Edmonton Oilers ’ GM Steve Tambellini and brother of former Vancouver Canuck Jeff, hockey runs in Adam Tambellini’s bloodlines. The lanky forward pocketed 54 points and 113 penalty minutes in 34 games last season with Edmonton’s South Side Athletic Club. Marc Hetnik Jr. will have a shot at earning top-four minutes on the Viper blueline this season. Hetnik comes from the same Catholic Memorial high school program that brought Mike Collins and Garrett Noonan to the Viper den. Geoff Crisfield, a Calgary native, was a highly sought after defenceman prospect before he signed with Vernon in the spring. STRENGTHS: With seven of their 11 returning players being forwards, Vernon’s strength will be up front. This is an organization that has reached the national finals three straight years, meaning the vets know what it takes to succeed and, in turn, they can teach their talented crop of newcomers what it takes to be one of the top junior A clubs in Canada. First-year head coach Jason Williamson, a former Viper captain, was mentored by one of the best in Mark Ferner.

COACH’S QUOTE: Williamson: “We definitely have some good speed. We’re going to try to push the pace on some teams and be real aggressive on the forecheck. All our ‘D’ are fairly mobile, so we’ve got a good corps back there. When we turn pucks over, we’re going to get it and go with some pace.”

3. MERRITT CENTENNIALS

KEY RETURNEES: F Regan Soquila (20-25-45), F Evan Stack (13-19-32), F Chad Brears (4-17-21), F Jacob Reichert (7-11-18), D Brandon Pfeil (6-10-16), D Billy Marshall (4-12-16), D Reece Willcox (5-9-14), G Lino Chimienti (3.11 GAA), G Tyler Steel (3.49 GAA). The Cents start the season with no fewer than 15 returning veterans from a team that, despite finishing sixth out of eight teams in the Interior last year, had an impressive 5-1-0 record against the Westside Warriors and evenly split their six games with the league champion Vipers.

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: Eighteen-year-old Brandon Bruce was a late arrival at Cents’ training camp, but the former Swift Current Bronco (WHL) has made an immediate impact. The feisty 5-foot-10 centre plays with an edge, and has a ton of talent to back up his style. Local player Payton Schaefer, 18, has cracked the lineup after putting up some pretty respectable numbers last season with the Kamloops Storm (KIJHL). On the back end, look for Texan Ross Mancuso (KIJHL champion Osoyoos Coyotes), Tyler Martin (NE Chiefs major midget) and sixteen-year-old Dylan Chanter (POE midget prep) to round out a very experienced defensive corps.

STRENGTHS: Head coach and GM Luke Pierce begins his second full season behind the bench – a year older and undoubtedly a year wiser. His new assistant, Joe Martin, brings a wealth of experience to the Cents’ coaching staff, most recently as head coach and GM of the Creston Valley Thunder Cats (KIJHL). In Chimenti and Steel, the Cents have two proven netminders with a full BCHL season behind them. Both sparkled through the pre-season, where Merritt went 5-1 and allowed just 12 goals. Stack, Soquila and Bruce, if teamed up together, could be one of the most potent forward lines in the league. Reichert has already shown signs in the early going that he’s ready for a banner sophomore year.

COACH’S QUOTE: Pierce: “This is a group that will further expand on the core values of Centennials’ hockey. We will work as a group both to defend and create offence using the work ethic we have become recognized for. We will challenge our large core of veterans to continue striving to improve on their previous seasons. Our mix of new additions will provide some additional energy and offensive punch to our lineup.”

4. WESTSIDE WARRIORS

KEY RETURNEES: F Tyler Krause (11-31-42), F Dru Morrison (14-17-31), F Brett McKinnon (10-13-23) D Michael King (5-18-23), D Izaak Berglund (2-12-14), D Peter MacIntosh (0-11-11), D Brayden Sherbinin (4-8-12). Winger Richard Vanderhoek, 20, will be looked upon to provide offence and leadership. The Langley native was acquired from Surrey in the off-season and is coming off a 71 point season (26-45-71) last year with the Eagles.

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: A pair of Warriors rookies from the B.C. Major Midget League will look to make the jump to junior. Forward Seb Lloyd had 17 goals and 37 assists in 30 games with the Cariboo Cougars in the BCMML while D Ben Betker had 13 points with the Kootenay Ice .

STRENGTHS: The Warriors’ strength will likely come from the blueline with its top four returning blueliners, including Berglund, who was named the Warriors captain. New coach Rylan Ferster is preaching defence and work ethic as he takes over from the departed Darren Yopyk.

COACH’S QUOTE: Ferster: “I think we’re going to be a good defensive team. Guys are buying into that which is good. I don’t think we’re going to be a run-and-gun team. We’re going to have to be good defensively and have a really good work ethic.”

5. SALMON ARM SILVERBACKS

KEY RETURNEES: F Brett Knowles (30-28-58), Morgan Zulinick (12-17-29), Bryce Gervais (29-22-51), Devin Muller (12-16-28), D James Friedel (1-5-6).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: Defenceman Brendan Kennedy, who played last season with Okanagan Hockey Academy, and forward Kyle Oleniuk of Moose Jaw (Saskatchewan Midget AAA) were rookie standouts in Salmon Arm’s main camp and look poised to earn quality minutes in the regular season. Vernon minor hockey product Alex Gillies, the SilverBacks’ 16-year-old, has the size and grit to handle the more physical junior style.

STRENGTHS: The SilverBacks boast a solid top-six forward corps that can put the puck in the net at any given time. With just one returning D-man (Friedel), Salmon Arm head coach/GM Colin O’Hara acquired veteran blueliners Klay Kachur (Powell River), Bennett Hambrook (Prince George/Vernon), Matt Brown (AJHL Drumheller Dragons) and Sean Flannagan (SJHL Kindersley Dragons) in the offseason.

COACH’S QUOTE: Ohara: “We’ve acquired some veteran defencemen to shore up our back end and we feel our six that will play on a nightly basis are as good as any in the league. Kurt (Williams, starting netminder) is prepared to step it up and put it on the line every night this year. The strength is our D-corps, but we also have some dynamic game-breakers up front.”

6. CHILLIWACK CHIEFS

KEY RETURNEES: F Spencer Graboski (15-21-36), Malcolm Gould (14-17-31), Derek Huisman (14-14-28), Chris Blessing (10-16-26), D Ty Miller (4-15-19), Stefan Gonzales (1-8-9).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: Goaltender Mitch Gillam will be a busy man in the Chilliwack goal crease. The Peterborough native was drafted by the OHL’s Peterborough Petes , but spent last season playing at Berkshire School in Sheffield, Mass. Forward David Bondra is the son of ex-NHLer Peter Bondra, who scored 503 goals in 1081 big league games. David spent last season with the USHL’s Chicago Steel , popping four goals and nine points in 58 games.

STRENGTHS: A Harvey Smyl team’s work ethic will always be its strength, but until this team plays some meaningful games, it’s hard to say what else they may offer. Last season, as the Quesnel Millionaires , they struggled to score and struggled defensively en-route to a 13-38-3-6 record and first round playoff exit. Gillam may be a solution in goal, but there are still far more questions than answers.

COACH’S QUOTE: Smyl: “This is a whole new scenario with a whole new group of guys, whole new coaching staff, new city and new building. Everything is new to them and it’s going to take some time for them to become a team, know what the coaches want and feel comfortable here.”

7. TRAIL SMOKE EATERS

KEY RETURNEES: F Eric Cooper (11-15-26), F Logan Proux (3-8-11), F Adam Boytnick (3-12-15), D Rajan Sidhu (1-22-23), G Matt Larose (2.67 GAA, 92.4 SV%).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: Vancouver Chiefs F Matthew Bissett finished fourth in scoring in the Major Midget League last year; 16-year-old forward Luke Bertolucci netted a point a game for the Major Midget Kootenay Ice (15-19-34) as well as won a gold medal at the Canada Winter Games with Team BC. Dallas Calvin played for the KIJHL Beaver Valley Nitehawks, counting 40 points in 40 games as a 16-year-old. The 6-foot-3 forward will provide speed and size up front. STRENGTHS: The Smoke Eaters will be a young team with approximately 12 rookies. Depending on how they develop, offence may be a concern but the team should be strong defensively with goalie Matt Larose backstopping a solid defensive core of veterans led by Sidhu, Clayton McEwan and recent acquisition Nicholas Wong from Cowichan Valley.

COACH’S QUOTE: Bill Birks: “We’re going to be a hard-working, lunch-bucket type team, a good mix of solid veterans with some high-end kids that will take a bit to get into it but they’re progressing very nicely.”

8. PRINCE GEORGE SPRUCE KINGS

KEY RETURNEES: F Jujhar Khaira (10-32-42), F Connor Tiechko (13-13-26), F Jeff Earnest (6-16-22), D Ben Woodley (6-11-17), G Kirk Thompson (3.91 GAA, 88.76 SV%).

ROOKIE SENSATIONS: On a team that also has triplets, the McHaffie twins (Scott and Spencer) garnered attention during the Spruce Kings spring prospect camp. The 1994-born forwards from Surrey committed to the Spruce Kings after winning a provincial Midget Tier 1 title with the Surrey Thunder. At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, 18-year-old Lethbridge product Cody Bardock will bring size to the blueline, while 16-year-old Kitimat native Michael Klonarakis joins the team after skating for the highly respected Pursuit of Excellence hockey academy in Kelowna.

STRENGTHS: The Spruce Kings may not impress anybody with highlight-reel goals, but they won’t get pushed around easily either, with the likes of Woodley (6-foot-6) and D Trevor Esau (6-foot-4, 110 penalty minutes) on their back end. If there’s one offensive game-breaker on the Spruce Kings, it’s Khaira, who’s committed to play NCAA Division 1 at Michigan Tech for the 2012-13. The Fitzgerald triplets (Gerry, Leo and Myles), who joined the team from the Nanaimo Clippers in an offseason deal, will be fun to watch.

COACH’S QUOTE: Dave Dupas: “We can’t throw our hands in the air and say ‘Now that Quesnel isn’t here, we’re finished’, because we’re absolutely not. We got a bunch of guys in here that we believe are going to compete hard for the Spruce Kings and want to win games. The difficulty is in the road trips and stuff like that, but you just have to do it. It’s what it is at this point and we’ll spend a lot of time on the bus. We’ll have to make sure that we’re eating properly, we’re getting a lot of rest and that’ll take care of itself.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.