The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BCHL Thread

BM24

I haven't been able to keep track of things with the Grizzlies lately. Are these trades good for them? I don't know much about the players.

I've got tickets for the game on Sunday, they're playing Salmon Arm. I can't wait, haven't been to a BCHL game in a while

well I have season tickets for them and at first I thought this trade wasn't good, but after last night Strukoff had a goal and a assist and Johnson had 2 goals so if that indicates anything this should be good for them. But they also have 3 guys out to injury Dylan Nowakowski he's a good centre can get alot of points but he takes some stupid penalties. Kyle Ashim they traded for him a week or two ago he hasn't played but last year he played for the Calgary Hitmen so he should be able to help the D out alot. The only things about the trades are that Wesly Myron doesn't want to leave Victoria so I think they gave them cash instead because he was playing last night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After what Dumb Darcy Rota did to Burnaby, I will NOT go to another BCHL game again. He`s a liar. He said the team would stay in Burnaby and he blamed the fans for not coming out. Well Darcy, maybe if you put together a good team people would have suppported you, you should look at yourself in the mirror. Looks like Coquitlam is dropping like a rock in the standings.

After what Dumb Darcy Rota did to Burnaby, I will NOT go to another BCHL game again. He`s a liar. He said the team would stay in Burnaby and he blamed the fans for not coming out. Well Darcy, maybe if you put together a good team people would have suppported you, you should look at yourself in the mirror. Looks like Coquitlam is dropping like a rock in the standings.

The lease was up with the arena, and the team was only averaging 500 fans per game. I don't blame him at all. There have been three failed franchises in Burnaby now, so I highly doubt the problem is with Darcy. The only reason they ever left Coquitlam in the first place was because there wouldn't have been any parking. That problem is fixed now.

Anyways, after an eight game losing streak, the Express are on their way back up the standings. Let's go Coquitlam!

• 2 weeks later...

Well considering BBY has had 2 kicks at the BCHL can perhaps he has a little cred in what he is saying. Doesn't excuse icing crap teams mind you.

I remember going to watch the Bulldogs play when I was in BCIT res. The place was EMPTY and the team was crapE.

Nanaimo

Da Clippers

Da Boatmen

Da Clips

Took out the 2nd ranked team in the National Junior A rankings 6-3

PERIOD 1

Nanaimo Clippers at 3:15 - Kyle Kramer from Brodie Jamieson

Nanaimo Clippers at 11:01 - Myles Fitzgerald (unassisted)

Powell River Kings at 14:35 - Daniel Schuler from Matt Garbowsky and Jason Yee

PERIOD 2

Powell River Kings at 1:00 - Andrew Pettitt from Carter Shinkaruk and Brenden Forbes

Powell River Kings at 12:45 - Ryan Elliot from Klay Kachur and Braden Pears

Nanaimo Clippers at 13:16 - Andrew Gladiuk from Ryan Stanimir and Yannick LaFlamme

PERIOD 3

Nanaimo Clippers at 0:50 (PP) - Samuel Labrecque from Graeme McCormack and Ryan Stanimir

Nanaimo Clippers at 18:26 - Colton Cyr from Ryan Stanimir

Nanaimo Clippers at 18:59 (EN) - Colton Cyr (unassisted)

Spruce Kings relieve Ed Dempsey from his position with the team. Hire former W.L. Timberwolves coach Dupas.

Spruce Kings proceed to lose 9-4 to Westside in their first game under their new coach.

I have serious doubts as to this being the solution for this team.

Spruce Kings have yet to have a successful season after their team was gutted following their host silver medal performance at the RBC Cup several years ago.

Seems like scouting and long-term recruitment is a problem.

The lease was up with the arena, and the team was only averaging 500 fans per game. I don't blame him at all. There have been three failed franchises in Burnaby now, so I highly doubt the problem is with Darcy. The only reason they ever left Coquitlam in the first place was because there wouldn't have been any parking. That problem is fixed now.

Anyways, after an eight game losing streak, the Express are on their way back up the standings. Let's go Coquitlam!

The team was HORRIBLE for the last 2 years in Bby so I do not blame people for not turning out. Darcy made all the excuses in the world but it comes down to the fact that he LIED and the team was NOT marketed properly. Look at the year the Express won the Canadian title, attendance was good. Even the year after when Fanucci was on the team, attendance and team were still good. It all comes down to the GM and Darcy should take full BLAME for the team leaving Burnaby. Funny, last time I checked the all mighty Coquitlam Express were hovering around the bottom of the conference, looks like things HAVEN`T changed at all now that they are ``back home`` as Darcy likes to put it. NOTE to a previous poster--- Burnaby has only had 2 teamns NOT 3 and its a shame that Copeland sits empty because it is a GREAT facility.

The team was HORRIBLE for the last 2 years in Bby so I do not blame people for not turning out. Darcy made all the excuses in the world but it comes down to the fact that he LIED and the team was NOT marketed properly. Look at the year the Express won the Canadian title, attendance was good. Even the year after when Fanucci was on the team, attendance and team were still good. It all comes down to the GM and Darcy should take full BLAME for the team leaving Burnaby. Funny, last time I checked the all mighty Coquitlam Express were hovering around the bottom of the conference, looks like things HAVEN`T changed at all now that they are ``back home`` as Darcy likes to put it. NOTE to a previous poster--- Burnaby has only had 2 teamns NOT 3 and its a shame that Copeland sits empty because it is a GREAT facility.

Burnaby has had three teams:

Burnaby Blue Hawks, 1982-1985

Burnaby Bulldogs, 1998-2002

Burnaby Express, 2005-2010

I agree that there have been some poor business decisions, and that major changes are clearly necessary. Pacey is a goon who does nothing but cost the team, the defensemen are too small, the scorers are constantly in slumps, and the goaltending is inconsistent, but you have to follow a team through the bad times and hope that things get better. Look at the Washington Capitals for example. They were weak for years, but are now contenders for the cup. I too hope Darcy wakes up and makes some changes, but I will stand by my stance that Burnaby is not a good hockey market.

Spruce Kings relieve Ed Dempsey from his position with the team. Hire former W.L. Timberwolves coach Dupas.

Spruce Kings proceed to lose 9-4 to Westside in their first game under their new coach.

I have serious doubts as to this being the solution for this team.

Spruce Kings have yet to have a successful season after their team was gutted following their host silver medal performance at the RBC Cup several years ago.

Seems like scouting and long-term recruitment is a problem.

I'm happy they fired Dempsey, it is not the solution, but it is the first step in the right direction.

Burnaby has had three teams:

Burnaby Blue Hawks, 1982-1985

Burnaby Bulldogs, 1998-2002

Burnaby Express, 2005-2010

I agree that there have been some poor business decisions, and that major changes are clearly necessary. Pacey is a goon who does nothing but cost the team, the defensemen are too small, the scorers are constantly in slumps, and the goaltending is inconsistent, but you have to follow a team through the bad times and hope that things get better. Look at the Washington Capitals for example. They were weak for years, but are now contenders for the cup. I too hope Darcy wakes up and makes some changes, but I will stand by my stance that Burnaby is not a good hockey market.

I was a huge fan of the Bulldogs & Express but I have NO interest in going to Coquitlam to watch a game. The facility there cannot compare to Bill Copeland arena and I am NOT willing to drive 20+ minutes to the game. Besides why would I drive that distance when I can go & watch BETTER quality hockey at the Pacific Coliseum which is closer to where I live. Burnaby is a better hockey market than Coquitlam. The rink was full when the team had Kyle Turris and went on to win the championship. Who wants to go see a LAME DUCK franchise--just ask the Phoenix Coyotes. If Darcy continues on as GM the Express will be looking for a new place to play because they are NOT a very good team & havent been since Fanucci and McNeely left the team.

The Express haven't been last in the conference this year. They were tied with Cowichan for a little bit, but they had a game in hand. Right now, Cowichan has 28 points, Coquitlam has 29, and Alberni has 31. The coastal standings are close, but don't make false claims.

But I do agree Darcy needs to change some things about the team. Krgovich was a great addition, but if Pacey isn't kicked off the team soon, I'll be annoyed. For some reason they got rid of Axford (a solid third liner) instead of Pacey, the useless goon... regardless, they had a good game tonight in Alberni.

And I think you need to stop with the Coquitlam Express hate. I understand you're upset about the team moving, but stop whining. You've already said you'd rather watch the Giants, so go ahead and do so. No one is forcing you to watch or follow the Express if you don't like them. I find it odd how you are so passionate about a team that you claim to have no interest in.

I'll support the Express, whether they're winning or not, because that's what a true fan does. I'm not a bandwagoner.

The Express haven't been last in the conference this year. They were tied with Cowichan for a little bit, but they had a game in hand. Right now, Cowichan has 28 points, Coquitlam has 29, and Alberni has 31. The coastal standings are close, but don't make false claims.

But I do agree Darcy needs to change some things about the team. Krgovich was a great addition, but if Pacey isn't kicked off the team soon, I'll be annoyed. For some reason they got rid of Axford (a solid third liner) instead of Pacey, the useless goon... regardless, they had a good game tonight in Alberni.

And I think you need to stop with the Coquitlam Express hate. I understand you're upset about the team moving, but stop whining. You've already said you'd rather watch the Giants, so go ahead and do so. No one is forcing you to watch or follow the Express if you don't like them. I find it odd how you are so passionate about a team that you claim to have no interest in.

I'll support the Express, whether they're winning or not, because that's what a true fan does. I'm not a bandwagoner.

The Express SUCK and will never make it work in Coquitlam as long as Darcy Rota is running the show. He's a liar. There should be a team in Burnaby because Copeland ia a better facility than the one in Coquitlam. Maybe you should take wake up and smell the coffee.

The Express SUCK and will never make it work in Coquitlam as long as Darcy Rota is running the show. He's a liar. There should be a team in Burnaby because Copeland ia a better facility than the one in Coquitlam. Maybe you should take wake up and smell the coffee.

A facility doesn't make a team. And if anyone would go to a game just because of a better facility, they aren't a hockey fan.

Doesn't take away from the is Darcy Rota a moron debate, but the facility is irrelivant in the debate of why the Express and other BBY BCHL teams haven't stuck.

I personally think Coquitlam Sports Centre is nicer. I don't like how Bill Copeland doesn't have seats behind the nets. Plus, the amount of seating is pretty much the same, the scoreboard is the same, and the arena was just recently renovated, so I don't really understand your argument. And old_time_hockey is right, what does the location or arena of a team have to do with how they play?

Not to mention you still seem rather bitter and rude for somebody who claims to not care about the team. And worst of all, you skip over all the points I've made and just continue to say the Express suck, Darcy is a liar, blah blah blah.

Here's some facts again, and if you bother replying, please don't ignore them:

--Attendance went down as soon as they moved to Burnaby, even in their championship year. The average in Coqitlam for the 04-05 season was 1091 people, while their average attendance in the best year they've ever had (05-06) was lower at 992 per game.

--Even when the Express were mediocre in Coquitlam (the first few seasons) attendance was usually over a thousand. However, when the team started losing in Burnaby, attendance dropped to as low as 542 per game.

--Since moving back to Coquitlam, average attendance is already up around two hundred people per game.

If this doesn't show Burnaby is a weak hockey market, I'm not sure what does. You can argue about arenas and GMs, but the fact of the matter is, some places just don't work well for hockey. For example, the Vancouver Canucks continue to sell out every game despite never winning a cup, while teams like New Jersey, who have won, are not doing well in attendance. Like I said, some places just don't work.

Archived