The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BCHL Thread

BM24

Spruce Kings relieve Ed Dempsey from his position with the team. Hire former W.L. Timberwolves coach Dupas.

Spruce Kings proceed to lose 9-4 to Westside in their first game under their new coach.

I have serious doubts as to this being the solution for this team.

Spruce Kings have yet to have a successful season after their team was gutted following their host silver medal performance at the RBC Cup several years ago.

Seems like scouting and long-term recruitment is a problem.

They have called up Chase Golightly from the Fernie Ghostriders on a fulltime basis.

22pts in 21 games in the KI and from what I have seen of him he has wheels.

Anyone else go to the Coquitlam Express game last night? Not only was it the bear toss, but they also had three awesome guests. Former Canucks captain Kurtenbach was there to sign autographs, Mark Donnelly sang the anthem, and John Ashbridge did the announcing. Really awesome job by the Express staff to get such a great lineup of guests.

They have called up Chase Golightly from the Fernie Ghostriders on a fulltime basis.

22pts in 21 games in the KI and from what I have seen of him he has wheels.

He (Golightly) has now played 7 games for the Kings (4 of which I saw in person in PG) with 4 assists and 2 pims. Lets just say that I do not forsee him single-handedly changing the fortunes of this team - although he is definitely not out of place in the BCHL.

If the lowly Kings cannot even catch Quesnel for the last and final playoff spot, I hate to sound negative but they deserve an early exit from the season.

My guess is that they have already told Berra, Fillion, and DeSousa that they will be gone before or at the trade deadline - all three could be very, very useful to any team making a solid run at the title and each deserve a shot if I do say so. Also, Lyndon Martel is all but gone as the Blazers have traded his rights to...I want to say SC of the Dub but I forget exactly what team it was.

Lone bright spots this year for the Kings thus far have been Khaira earning a Div I scholarship as a BCHL rookie and Fillion landing a Div I scholarship as a 20 year old (both to the same school btw - Michigan Tech). Also Berra leading the league in goals while on a last place team - absolutely NO SMALL accomplishment - I hope scouts recognize this accomplishment and he gets to pursue his dream at the next level in the NCAA.

• 4 weeks later...

Burnaby has had three teams:

Burnaby Blue Hawks, 1982-1985

Burnaby Bulldogs, 1998-2002

Burnaby Express, 2005-2010

I agree that there have been some poor business decisions, and that major changes are clearly necessary. Pacey is a goon who does nothing but cost the team, the defensemen are too small, the scorers are constantly in slumps, and the goaltending is inconsistent, but you have to follow a team through the bad times and hope that things get better. Look at the Washington Capitals for example. They were weak for years, but are now contenders for the cup. I too hope Darcy wakes up and makes some changes, but I will stand by my stance that Burnaby is not a good hockey market.

*cough* theres a reason why Langley got rid of him

. . . . Go Chiefs Go! ! ! !

@GiantCanuckFan: No kidding. Luckily he's down playing Junior B now. Did you catch the last Chiefs vs. Express game? It was a pretty exciting one, I was really glad to see the Express finally get an OT win (although the Chiefs clearly weren't playing at their best).

@GiantCanuckFan: No kidding. Luckily he's down playing Junior B now. Did you catch the last Chiefs vs. Express game? It was a pretty exciting one, I was really glad to see the Express finally get an OT win (although the Chiefs clearly weren't playing at their best).

Definitely saw that game... I work at the Langley Events Centre, so I'm there for all the Chiefs home games. It was a tough battle, but they got caught slacking near the end the Coquitlam took it!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is Vernon is good

They always have a good program in Vernon. And since they don't have a draft in Jr A .They can recruit anywhere with their reputation. Thats what happens when you have an Owner that cares and put money into his hockey team and its players.

They always have a good program in Vernon. And since they don't have a draft in Jr A .They can recruit anywhere with their reputation. Thats what happens when you have an Owner that cares and put money into his hockey team and its players.

The rink in Vernon is a beauty too. When my nephew was playing with the Pursuit of Excellence last year he was in a tournament in Vernon. It has to be one of the best Junior A rinks out there.

The rink in Vernon is a beauty too. When my nephew was playing with the Pursuit of Excellence last year he was in a tournament in Vernon. It has to be one of the best Junior A rinks out there.

The ice surface, or the entire arena?

Because I much prefer the ice of the Civic to the Wesbild.

There's just something about playing in the Civic that feels so right.

• 1 month later...

So either the Quesnel Millionares are being sold and moved to Chilliwack for the 2011/12 season or will cease operation and withdraw from the BCHL.

The Quesnel Millionaires would like to announce that they have received a written offer from Chilliwack to purchase their franchise and relocate to Chilliwack. Acceptance of this offer is subject to approval by the British Columbia Hockey League Governors. If this offer is not accepted by the League, the Millionaires will voluntarily withdraw from the British Columbia Hockey League.

The move to Chilliwack will be very positive for our players. They will have the opportunity to play in a beautiful building with a first class organization.

The ownership group of the Quesnel Millionaires is very saddened to have to take this step. However, the severe financial losses the group has sustained over the last two years combined with the lack of a firm date for the new multicentre has made this decision necessary.

The Quesnel Millionaires would like to thank all their volunteers, the billet families, their corporate sponsors, fans and the media for their support. We would also like to thank all the people who have worked tirelessly to keep the Millionaires in Quesnel throughout the years as well as the City of Quesnel and their staff.

All paid purchases for the 2011 -2012 will be refunded.

Sad for the people of Quesnel.

According to wikipedia it's a done deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quesnel_Millionaires

"The Millionaires started out in the Peace Cariboo Junior Hockey League in 1975. The Millionaires are the 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1987 PCJHL Champions. They have also won the 1977, 1978, and 1979 Cyclone Taylor Cup Championships. In 1996, the Millionaires moved to the British Columbia Hockey League.

On May 9, 2011, the BCHL approved the sale of the Quesnel Millionaires to the Chiefs Development Group in Chilliwack, BC. The former Chiefs franchise was renamed the Langley Rivermen in preparation for the Millionaires' return to Chilliwack."

Archived