The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

The team, right now, is playing well enough to win more often than not. Lou is part of the success. Bieksa is part of the success.

Whether or not they are overpaid is a moot point. They are on the active NHL roster and they are part of a club that is second in the conference and on a modest winning streak.

The player's salaries are what they are. Why don't we stick to discussing the player's play rather than their perceived value? It would be an interesting life if we (NHL players, teachers, police officers, laborers) were paid based on people evaluating our performances on a daily basis.

At the time contracts are signed, both parties are happy, which is why both parties sign. It is sour grapes to me to sit here and debate our individual opinion on a player's value based on an agreed-upon legal document.

Lou played well last night. KB3... not so much. Too many plays he made tonight appeared to lack focus. Bieksa needs to keep his game simple to be effective.

towel.gif

Forget the fing cap. Im not talking about how his cap hits the team.

I am purely basing luongos play, based on his highest paid goalie status.

He is underperforming. Full Stop. Even just as your average NHL #1 goalie, he has struggled this year, let alone the cornerstone of the team.

I used to follow luongo in florida, and was thrilled when he came to vancouver.

However, the last year, and so far this year, he has under performed.

Doesnt matter what your stupid cap hit is. I know what his cap hit is, and I know how the cap works, im not a Fing moron, so stop acting like your brilliant and im stupid.

Luongo has underperformed, bottom line. Forget the finances.

So then if you're basing your expectations of his play on him making 10 mil this season do you're expectations of him drop next season when his pay is just under 7 mil? Does he only have to be 7/10th as good as you want him to be now next season?

I'm not acting like I'm brilliant and you're stupid, in fact earlier here I gave you props for just the opposite so calm down and stop acting like I knocked your ice cream off its cone. Simple question just looking for a simple answer.

Edit: Just read your brilliant bit about ticket prices. SO then do ticket prices go down next season because Luongo isn't making as much?

So then if you're basing your expectations of his play on him making 10 mil this season do you're expectations of him drop next season when his pay is just under 7 mil? Does he only have to be 7/10th as good as you want him to be now next season?

I'm not acting like I'm brilliant and you're stupid, in fact earlier here I gave you props for just the opposite so calm down and stop acting like I knocked your ice cream off its cone. Simple question just looking for a simple answer.

Edit: Just read your brilliant bit about ticket prices. SO then do ticket prices go down next season because Luongo isn't making as much?

Good one, EOM! Pahahahaha! laugh.gif Some good math up there, too!laugh.gif

Salary is moot. Luongo has been inconsistent and that's not what the Canucks need from their franchise player. His stats are barely in the top 30 in the league. Despite this, "Nucks are still 2nd in the conference.

As long as we score 1 more goal than the other team, whether it be 1-0 or 9-8, I don't care. A win is a win. Once you're in the Playoffs, 16 of them gets you a Cup.

Good one, EOM! Pahahahaha! laugh.gif Some good math up there, too!laugh.gif

Salary is moot. Luongo has been inconsistent and that's not what the Canucks need from their franchise player. His stats are barely in the top 30 in the league. Despite this, "Nucks are still 2nd in the conference.

As long as we score 1 more goal than the other team, whether it be 1-0 or 9-8, I don't care. A win is a win. Once you're in the Playoffs, 16 of them gets you a Cup.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but actually Luongo is 15th in the league in Save% Leaders and 17th in GAA Leaders. Plus, he is trending up the chart right now with his play.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but actually Luongo is 15th in the league in Save% Leaders and 17th in GAA Leaders. Plus, he is trending up the chart right now with his play.

What was it a few weeks ago Sanford made a thread about how Luongo was 30th + in the league statistically. That's quite the jump eh?

My bad, Wallstreet. Thanks for the update, man! Lou is up to .915 in save % and a 2.54 GAA according to NHL.com. Getting better, for sure. It's amazing what a little win streak and a shutout will do, eh? I read the info I posted above 10 days or so ago on NHL.com. Busy time in the high school business!

laugh.gif

My bad, Wallstreet. Thanks for the update, man! Lou is up to .915 in save % and a 2.54 GAA according to NHL.com. Getting better, for sure. It's amazing what a little win streak and a shutout will do, eh? I read the info I posted above 10 days or so ago on NHL.com. Busy time in the high school business!

laugh.gif

No worries at all. It is indeed amazing what a bit of a hot streak will do to the numbers.

Just to make it look better, let's say Luongo is 14th in SV% and 12th in GAA among goalies with >15 games played :P

Nice spin, Duodenum! Now you've put him top 15 in both categories!

Can you pad KB3's stats to look better than they are?wink.gif

I can try...

Kevin Bieksa is currently 2nd in GF/60 minutes even strength on the team (to Hamhuis).

He is 2nd in Quality of competition.

He leads the team in takeaways.

There was a week or 2 where Bieksa was outperforming Duncan Keith.

I wouldn't even consider that an accomplishment this year, Duncan Keith has been terrible.

So have Doughty and Weber.

All 3 of these guys don't deserve to be at the All-Star game.

Bieksa a good, gritty fit for Sens

Senators GM Bryan Murray could be eyeing some help from the West Coast.

Trying to get back into the playoff race as the Senators embark on a two-game road trip against the Rangers Sunday and Canadiens Tuesday, Murray is working the phones to see if he can make a change or two.

The Senators are looking to move D Brian Lee, but they also need to make a big deal.

The talk in NHL circles is Murray would like to add some grit to the back end Matt Carkner excepted, the Senators' blue line lacks sandpaper and make it tougher for the opposition in front of the net.

But that's "not easy to find," a league executive warned.

Vancouver GM Mike Gillis has been trying to deal D Kevin Bieksa for a while (insert denial here) and will sooner or later.

However, the Canucks are being targeted by a lot of teams looking for blue-line help.

They've got both Bieksa (making $3.5 million US), who's set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and D Keith Ballard ($4.2 million), who has been a healthy scratch at various times this season.

Bieksa would be a better fit in Ottawa and the Senators have liked him for a long time.

"He's got grit and he'd make it a little tougher for guys around the net. He's dirty and that's the kind of player Ottawa needs," said the executive. "The Canucks are going for a Stanley Cup this year, they have to make sure Sami Salo is on track to return."

http://www.torontosu...4/16434096.html

So where would our grit and sandpaper on the blueline come from then? Which player would stick up for our guys the way Juice has in the past?

This trade could be a possibility....but what would we expect or hope for in return?

So where would our grit and sandpaper on the blueline come from then? Which player would stick up for our guys the way Juice has in the past?

This trade could be a possibility....but what would we expect or hope for in return?

We could ask for Jared Cowan, but Murray would probably laugh at that.

Maybe David Rundblad:

Rundblad has Green look to him

Thursday, 04.16.2009 / 10:13 AM / 2009 NHL Entry Draft

By Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Managing Editor

With Washington's Mike Green enjoying a breakout season -- 31 goals and 73 points -- and helping revive the Capitals' fortunes, scouts are scouring the globe looking for the next breakout offensive star from the blue line.

More than a few eyes have turned longingly to the small northern Swedish town of Skelleftea, a mining town with rich deposits of gold ore -- so much so that some call it "Gold Town."

David Rundblad is the object of the scouts' affection in Skelleftea, where he just finished his rookie season in the Swedish Elite League. Many of those talent evaluators believe they can strike it rich with the smooth-skating, righty-shooting defenseman.

Hence, Rundblad is rated the No. 6 prospect among European skaters for the 2009 Entry Draft by NHL Central Scouting in its final rankings.

There's little doubt Rundblad should go in the first half of the first round of the 2009 Entry Draft in Montreal in June.

Green went at No. 29 in the first round of the 2004 Entry Draft. But is Rundblad really a Mike Green in waiting? Rundblad brushes off the comparisons.

"It's not exactly the way I play, but I like the way Mike Green plays in Washington," he told NHL.com. "I'm not sure if I am his style, but I like watching him."

However, the similarities are undeniably there.

Rundblad is 6-foot-2, the same as Green. Rundblad currently weighs 190 pounds, but there is room for the extra 10 to 15 pounds that Green currently carries.

Like Green, Rundblad is a good skater who thinks offense first and always is trying to key the rush -- be it with a laser-like outlet pass or, just as often, a hell-bent-for-leather rush up ice with the puck glued to his blade.

"I try to play offense," Rundblad said. "I like to stickhandle and keep the puck; but I think I have defense in the (defensive) zone, too. But it is my offense that is No. 1."

Sounds like the defenseman in Washington that has a lot of teams rethinking about how they can build their blue line, doesn't it?

Tim Erixon is a teammate of Rundblad's in Skelleftea, another teenager playing a huge role on the team's blue line. This Erixon knows a little about NHL talent -- his father, Jan, spent 10 seasons (1983-93) in the NHL with the New York Rangers. The younger Erixon also is eligible for the 2009 Entry Draft and is rated one spot below Rundblad.

Erixon knows he is an odds-on favorite to go in the first round of the Entry Draft, but he also knows he is not as offensively gifted as his close friend.

"It's just the way he handles the puck," Erixon told NHL.com. "He's great with his puck-handling and, obviously, he scores a lot of goals, too."

Actually, Rundblad scored no goals this season for Skelleftea. He finished with 10 points, all assists, and a plus-3 rating in 45 games. His 10 points were fourth among the team's defensemen.

But Rundblad has scored at other levels.

Two years ago, with Skelleftea's U-20 team, he had 11 goals and 26 points in 35 games. This season, in a 10-game demotion to the U-20 team, Rundblad had 8 goals and 15 points in just 10 games.

Let's not forget that Green had just 2 goals and 12 points in his rookie NHL season.

Goran Stubb, the NHL Director of European Scouting, said he does not see enough NHL games to be comfortable comparing the European talent he sees with current NHL players. So don't look for Stubb to build up the Green hype.

But he will rave about what a good player Rundblad is, pointing out that he is not all that steep a fall from a once-in-a-generation talent like Victor Hedman, who has dominated the Euro prospect talk this season.

"He has a very good shot," Stubb told NHL.com. "He is a right-handed shot and he is used on the power play, even in the (Elite) League despite being a young player. He is a very smart player."

Rundblad is not perfect, though.

"He could be a little more physical in his game, but that is something that he is learning," Stubb said.

In fact, Rundblad has been learning at a prodigious pace this season, competing against players as much as twice his age.

It's a pretty tough adjustment, but you are getting better playing against (older players)," Rundblad said. "They are strong and much more strategic, so you have to play smarter and smarter. I have to think faster. You can't keep the puck so long; you have to make a fast pass."

That quick pass now is coming more and more naturally, just as is almost every facet of Rundblad's game.

As a result, it's no wonder so many scouts believe Rundblad could be the next strike-it-rich payoff to hail from "Gold Town."

We could ask for Jared Cowan, but Murray would probably laugh at that.

Maybe David Rundblad:

That may be a Salo replacement down the road....but not a Bieksa replacement. And I don't think Washington will want to move an offensice dman from their prospect pool for a UFA. I don't think they'd have the cap room either. Washington doesn't seem like the place where he would realistically be going. I'm asking where the sandpaper, grit and obvious top 4 potential would come from. Salo, most likely won't be coming back after this year, for obvious age, cap and injury prone reasons. The replacement for him is another story of course.

I'm suggesting that Bieksa is touted by many GM's around the league as a tough and gritty dman, that many would like on their club...but by that logic as well, why would we want to give that up? And for what?

That may be a Salo replacement down the road....but not a Bieksa replacement. And I don't think Washington will want to move an offensice dman from their prospect pool for a UFA. I don't think they'd have the cap room either. Washington doesn't seem like the place where he would realistically be going. I'm asking where the sandpaper, grit and obvious top 4 potential would come from. Salo, most likely won't be coming back after this year, for obvious age, cap and injury prone reasons. The replacement for him is another story of course.

I'm suggesting that Bieksa is touted by many GM's around the league as a tough and gritty dman, that many would like on their club...but by that logic as well, why would we want to give that up? And for what?

With KB being a pending UFA, we're not really dealing from a position of strength. I think realistically we can't expect to replace him with a particular type of player in a trade.

Gillis gets the best value he can for him, considering that when Salo returns, it basically becomes a salary dump.

As far as the sandpaper goes, I'd say Alberts is leaned on a bit more, and we possibly look at an inexpensive UFA in the off-season.

With KB being a pending UFA, we're not really dealing from a position of strength. I think realistically we can't expect to replace him with a particular type of player in a trade.

Gillis gets the best value he can for him, considering that when Salo returns, it basically becomes a salary dump.

As far as the sandpaper goes, I'd say Alberts is leaned on a bit more, and we possibly look at an inexpensive UFA in the off-season.

I understand the position that Gillis is in....it's a tough one no doubt. I'm suggeting that perhaps status quo is the best option. We'll need more sandpaper and grit come playoff time....and Salo, won't be the one to deliver that. (not that you're saying that, i realise)

Alberts can't fight. Period. Watching him lose fights would be terrible for morale, i believe. Plus, he doesn't really exhude the 'tough guy' persona, does he? I won't question his ability to be physical, but beyond that, his physicality can more often than not lead to penalty woes.

And the off season tinkering is all fine and dandy....but, what of this season and these playoffs?

Like I said, I realise the complete FUBAR of a situation that Gillis is in....but with Edler, the heir apparent to Salo, and Hammer as the smaller but more mobile version of Mitchell.....do we really need to get rid of Bieksa? I believe it would do more harm than good..to get rid of Juice, than by keeping him....at least for this season and playoff drive.

Archived