The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Honest examples of his poor play have been put forward but they are immediately looked over, not accepted, or ignored. How are you certain the "sheeple" are not the Bieksa lovers? From my perspective they certainly are. Their hasn't been any pro Bieksa comments as far as his defensive play coming from any of you. As a "hater" generally we argue his defensive play is poor. Your counter arguments are "but he gets so many points" and "he plays with Hamhuis"

It'd be awesome to get one of these examples of poor defensive play from you, but I don't expect you to go out of your way and dig one up. Maybe next game you could provide a couple? Might be a lil more practical. As I said somewhere earlier in this thread, and off the top of my head, in the Ducks game Bieksa made some calm and confident lil dangles to carry the puck out form behind the net while being pressured by an aggressive forecheck or when the offence had bobbled the puck and it had came to him. That's something that even Edler isn't capable of doing. He also ate the puck and held the board a couple times when he was double teamed in pressure with no chance of clearing it by himself (without significant risk of a turnover). This provided an opportunity for a team member to rush to his support and help regain control. He also hustled on every back check and every turnover (his own, or Hanks, or whoevers) to the levels of Burrowsness almost.

He pinched as always, providing many nice trailer plays/chances, but this is a double edged sword as he also gave the opposition an advantage occasionally. He did panic once or twice when the puck was lost among his feet (an annoying trait he's seemed to develop). He also persisted to seem unsure as to how to ask when an attacking player approached him man to man with space and speed, but the pairing of Hamhuis seemed to more than compensate for his strange combination of hesitation then over commitment.

Is there anything you can point out as being incorrect with this argument?

I agree with this. There are some people here who don't think Bieksa is an NHL caliber defenseman, and think were better off with the Aaron Romes of the world.

There are people out there who think Bieksa is an all star, and he will get a 60 point year while being a + infinite.

I think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on his play, and acting like he is the reason why we are 1-1-1. I have had mixed feelings about his play. He has made some good plays, and some bad plays. I don't think having him on the team makes us worse.

Nobody on here has ever compared him to Lidstrom or Niedermayer or said he is a superstar, just that he is simply not as bad as some of these guys are saying. Saying he is worst than Rome or O'brien is just simply stupid. The fact management got rid of O'brien and Rome is in the pressbox should be enough evidence but instead they post pure crap and basically claim they know more than management.

Like the poster above said, its like he is wearing a yellow jersey out there. Why does there always have to be a scapegoat. This is what people are talking about when the make fun of Canuck fans. Never happy.

Way to make one persons comment stand against the whole crowd.

According to the Bieksa lovers he's the best defenceman on the team. See what I did there? I bet ya someone on cdc thinks so. Are they right?

Sigh, just when you were starting to seem reasonable.

It is the general consensus among those arguing against him that Bieksa is a very mediocre defenceman. Just going to use a quick quote of someone who literally just responded to me, Canucklelion "Bieksa should be in the 3rd pairing at best.." There are COUNTLESS examples of labels far less complimentary than this, supporting sQuish's assertion that most people on this board consider him less than a good NHL defenceman.

Out of curiosity, what do you think Bieksa's play warrents? I would say he's the offensive component on our second line, and that's what he was always projected to be. Surprise surprise, he's pretty good at it!

Nobody on here has ever compared him to Lidstrom or Niedermayer or said he is a superstar, just that he is simply not as bad as some of these guys are saying. Saying he is worst than Rome or O'brien is just simply stupid. The fact management got rid of O'brien and Rome is in the pressbox should be enough evidence but instead they post pure crap and basically claim they know more than management.

Like the poster above said, its like he is wearing a yellow jersey out there. Why does there always have to be a scapegoat. This is what people are talking about when the make fun of Canuck fans. Never happy.

Actually, there are several people on here who refuse to admit that Bieksa has any faults or holes in his game at all, and they are equally as annoying as the people who say he has no positives to his game. Neither side understands that hockey is a team game, that all players have strengths and weaknesses, and that management doesnt necessarily think or act in ways that are immediately obvious to fans or the media.

Even you claiming that the fact he is playing on the top pairing and getting lots of ice time is solely due to his apparent value and how much MG thinks of him is a flawed argument. You have no way of knowing that and showcasing players you are trying to trade is a common practice in the NHL. There is at least the possibility that it is part of MG way of thinking, but Bieksa supporters will not even consider it.

The only sure fact we have is that none of us know jack squat about how management thinks about Bieksa or any other player. It is never as black and white as either side is portraying it here.

It'd be awesome to get one of these examples of poor defensive play from you, but I don't expect you to go out of your way and dig one up. Maybe next game you could provide a couple? Might be a lil more practical. As I said somewhere earlier in this thread, and off the top of my head, in the Ducks game Bieksa made some calm and confident lil dangles to carry the puck out form behind the net while being pressured by an aggressive forecheck or when the offence had bobbled the puck and it had came to him. That's something that even Edler isn't capable of doing. He also ate the puck and held the board a couple times when he was double teamed in pressure with no chance of clearing it by himself (without significant risk of a turnover). This provided an opportunity for a team member to rush to his support and help regain control. He also hustled on every back check and every turnover (his own, or Hanks, or whoevers) to the levels of Burrowsness almost.

He pinched as always, providing many nice trailer plays/chances, but this is a double edged sword as he also gave the opposition an advantage occasionally. He did panic once or twice when the puck was lost among his feet (an annoying trait he's seemed to develop). He also persisted to seem unsure as to how to ask when an attacking player approached him man to man with space and speed, but the pairing of Hamhuis seemed to more than compensate for his strange combination of hesitation then over commitment.

Is there anything you can point out as being incorrect with this argument?

Not that I want to nit pick, but what you call dangle, I call bobble, what you say is calm, I say lazy or lackadaisical, what you a call smart play, I call desperate and sometimes lucky.

I guess we are just going to have to wait and see how the last year of Boo boo's contract shakes out. I suspect tonight's performance will just be another nail in his coffin.

PS will you be throwing a tomato or a tomato at him if he causes the game winning goal for LA tonight?

I suppose the same could be said for your post as well, since it's just a veiled insult. If you go back a page you'll see that I simply got my hackles up after being called retarded first thing in the morning.

Pot, kettle, pot, kettle, and on it goes.

I should have known better than to get involved in all this.

Is it not even safe to take a shot at Bieksa anymore? What is CDC coming to? lol

I suppose king kong like bananas. It wasn't a veiled insult at all it is what is called a point.

If you can't handle it then go, don't whine about it every third post.

The thing is it's not safe to take dumb shots that have no basis in reality and are often backed up by even worse arguments that are based on fiction and biased opinion. CDC has always been like this, just seems Canucks talk is starting to catch up. lol

Not that I want to nit pick, but what you call dangle, I call bobble, what you say is calm, I say lazy or lackadaisical, what you a call smart play, I call desperate and sometimes lucky.

I guess we are just going to have to wait and see how the last year of Boo boo's contract shakes out. I suspect tonight's performance will just be another nail in his coffin.

PS will you be throwing a tomato or a tomato at him if he causes the game winning goal for LA tonight?

You're entitled to your own opinion. I challenge you to watch his play tonight with no preconceived notions or bias' and simply evaluate the players performance. Hopefully our opinions can come to an even compromise.

"Boo boo's"? Really? That's terrible. How about Badeska. Boo boo is just sad... =p Sounds like an unaspiring toddler came up with it.

And I'm confident that the pattern of good play on his part will be perpetuated, not sent off the rails, in his performance tonight.

Why the insistence to bombard a player with hate even if they do make a legitimate mistake? In my opinion, Willie Mitchell single handedly lost us the Chicago series two years ago with three crucial errors (resulting in goals) but I didn't see many calling for his head on a platter. He deserved to have his role reduced, but not to be hated. Simply to be reasonably reevaluated.

If Bieksa alone (which is rare for any player) results in the game winning goal for LA tonight, I will feel a huge blow has been dealt to defensive accolades. If he's instrumental in Vancouver's game winning goal, I'll feel he is just being Bieksa.

Potato...

Bieksa is a right hand shot, who can work the PP, and really isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. I just don't see how he makes this team any worse. He has the odd blunder, you can do a lot worse for a guy who is #6 on your depth chart. Remember the days of having an opening blue line including Krajicek, Aaron Miller and Mike Weaver?

Sampy, get lost. Bohonos called me a retard 3 times this morning. Contrary to your uneducated and unwelcome late addition to the hater train, I don't go around calling people names.

The fact that this thread exists goes to show that there are plenty of fans that are ready to part ways with Bieksa.

Except that you did.

Please...nit pick....we wouldn't want you to break your stride.

Way to make one persons comment stand against the whole crowd.

According to the Bieksa lovers he's the best defenceman on the team. See what I did there? I bet ya someone on cdc thinks so. Are they right?

Did you not say earlier that the team would be better off dressing 5 d men?

See what I did there?

To answer your question...they're just as wrong as you are.

I'm pretty sure Gillis is VERY aware of his deficiencies and is waiting to see what happens with Salo and his projected return. I'm also pretty sure that had Salo not been injured that Bielsa would have been traded this past summer. I don't think Bieksa was in the Canucks plans this year and I think the Salo injury forced them to use him when they didn't really want to. Hopefully that will soon be rectified as he has shown absolutely no improvement over his poor season last year.

So why didn't they trade Bieksa instead of O'Brien?

You don't think he's in the Canucks' plans? Why would they give the "A" to a player that isn't in their plans?

He was our top 2 man and had 8 points in 12 games with 3 goals. He had more goals than Kesler and Burrows combined and they had empty netters. Did you even watch the playoffs. Did you notice he rushed back from a bad injury, only had a few games to get ready for the playoffs and then had to take on Chicago's top pair, all after missing most of the season.

The trade rumours have only come from guys like you and Eklund. Gillis has said repeatedly that he wasn't trading him.

Are you even a fan?

According to TSN.ca Bieksa was the Canucks' top rated D-Man in their postseason power rankings. The only Canucks that were ranked higher were Hank, Dan and Sammy.

I pointed this out at the time and provided a link, but it was roundly ignored by the Bieksa bashers.

Honest examples of his poor play have been put forward but they are immediately looked over, not accepted, or ignored. How are you certain the "sheeple" are not the Bieksa lovers? From my perspective they certainly are. Their hasn't been any pro Bieksa comments as far as his defensive play coming from any of you. As a "hater" generally we argue his defensive play is poor. Your counter arguments are "but he gets so many points" and "he plays with Hamhuis"

What are you talking about? People were talking about how Perry's goal was Bieksa's fault and I shot it out of the water. The only "hater" response was from robbereit, who tap danced around it, claiming that Bieksa had "sauntered" back into the play. I blasted that sorry excuse for an "example" out of the water as well.

@ Lil Fra. You opened yourself up to ridicule by claiming that the Bieksa haters are the "knowledgeable" fans on CDC.

I'm not a hater, and I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

I agree with this. There are some people here who don't think Bieksa is an NHL caliber defenseman, and think were better off with the Aaron Romes of the world.

There are people out there who think Bieksa is an all star, and he will get a 60 point year while being a + infinite.

I think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on his play, and acting like he is the reason why we are 1-1-1. I have had mixed feelings about his play. He has made some good plays, and some bad plays. I don't think having him on the team makes us worse.

Yup. The only real problem with Bieksa is about 2 million bucks. He's way over paid and that gets people irate for some reason.

Except that you did.

Yeah, something about getting called a retard at 9 in the morning really gets under my skin. So I did get involved afterwards. It is not something I normally do.

Who the hell are you anyway?

If I wanted to battle this many trolls I'd go play Dungeons & Dragons.

So why didn't they trade Bieksa instead of O'Brien?

You don't think he's in the Canucks' plans? Why would they give the "A" to a player that isn't in their plans?

According to TSN.ca Bieksa was the Canucks' top rated D-Man in their postseason power rankings. The only Canucks that were ranked higher were Hank, Dan and Sammy.

I pointed this out at the time and provided a link, but it was roundly ignored by the Bieksa bashers.

What are you talking about? People were talking about how Perry's goal was Bieksa's fault and I shot it out of the water. The only "hater" response was from robbereit, who tap danced around it, claiming that Bieksa had "sauntered" back into the play. I blasted that sorry excuse for an "example" out of the water as well.

@ Lil Fra. You opened yourself up to ridicule by claiming that the Bieksa haters are the "knowledgeable" fans on CDC.

I'm not a hater, and I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Look, buddy. I don't need to be personally insulted for having an opinion that is shared by plenty of other Canuck fans.

Why don't you climb down off your high horse. When you were forgetting more than I'll ever know did you also forget to watch the games? Bieksa is a liability and not worth the money the Canucks are paying him.

Yup. The only real problem with Bieksa is about 2 million bucks. He's way over paid and that gets people irate for some reason.

Its funny because every team has people on their team who are overpaid. In Vans case the only person who is overpaid would be Bieksa, by about 1.5-2 million. Other teams have way worse problems than a guy overpaid by that much. (Rolston, Thomas come to mind).

People don't really appreciate that conversely we have Sedins, Luongo, Burrows, Ehrhoff, Samuelson, all making less than they could be. Thats about 7 million in savings right there from those players. As far as player salaries go, we are extremely fortunate.

Archived