The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

I just gave him credit half an hour ago, but elite Dmen are paid to be awesome or at least competent every game. The haters OR lovers shouldn't base their opinions on one game, or even 20 games.

But I'll give him props when he's a difference maker, as he obviously was today.

Since when has anybody called Bieksa an "elite" defenseman? Elite d-men get paid a hell of a lot more than Bieksa does.

OK haters, what now?

Ummm, Av's 2nd goal was completely his fault, so he just essentially made up for his brutal mistake. Last game against Wings he was directly involved in the result of 2 of their goals.

Pretty typical Kevin Bieksa game. Shakey, BRUTAL coverage at times, but has the offensive upside to make up for it. I will admit he is pretty clutch too.

Still 4.6 million is INSANELY overpaying him. Anyone who knows the game can vouch for that. I categorize him as a tougher/bigger version of MA Bergeron.

He should be making no more then 3 million and acting as a #4 guy AT BEST.

Well, he's on pace for 43 points, he's also surpassed his point totals ALREADY from the past two seasons, and it's not a contract year. Your logic is flawed.

I could care less if he was on pace for 60 points, the amount of mistakes in his own end isn't worth it. I would love to see his +/- if he wasn't on the PP or paired with Hammy.

It's like being impressed with the amount of points Mike Green puts up, doesn't mean much.

Since when has anybody called Bieksa an "elite" defenseman? Elite d-men get paid a hell of a lot more than Bieksa does.

He is on our "top" pairing. I guess some will categorize him as "elite" at least on this team. He is not however, elite can be considered the Chara, Weber and Lidstrom's of the league.

He is still getting paid as a top guy, and he is far from that.

Well, he's on pace for 43 points, he's also surpassed his point totals ALREADY from the past two seasons, and it's not a contract year. Your logic is flawed.

Who cares about his points!! He's a DEFENCEMAN ......... he's supposed to defend!! Get the puck up to his forwards quickly and safely!! Not to the other fning team for a turnover!! He's not a baker, he's a professional hockey player that is being massively overpaid /

I could care less if he was on pace for 60 points, the amount of mistakes in his own end isn't worth it. I would love to see his +/- if he wasn't on the PP or paired with Hammy.

It's like being impressed with the amount of points Mike Green puts up, doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure that you understand how + / - works there, Rypien37.

It seems that you are implying that Bieksa's +/- goes up when he is on the ice for a PP goal. It doesn't.

Bieksa hasn't played as well as he did last year, but, he is still an important part of this team. He made a costly error today and what did he do? He went out and made up for it with a game-saving dive and a game-tying goal. That's what leaders do. They make a difference in the clutch. They lead by example , not by flapping their lips.

Finally, as good a defender as Hammy is, he has not had as good a season as he did last year, either. Last season was one of those years that a team dreams of having. For our players to all have that type of year again is unrealistic. 10-11 was the best season in club history.

:towel::canucks:

He is on our "top" pairing. I guess some will categorize him as "elite" at least on this team. He is not however, elite can be considered the Chara, Weber and Lidstrom's of the league.

He is still getting paid as a top guy, and he is far from that

.Chara: GP 48/ GvA 42/ TKA 17/ BS 54/ HTS100/ TOI-G 25.07/ TOI-S 28.4/ 7 yrs - $45.50 (6,916,667 CH)

Bieksa: GP 52/ GvA 45/ TKA 21/ BS 75/ HTS104/ TOI-G 23.38/ TOI-S 28.5/ 5 yrs - $23.00 (4,600,000 CH)

.....so?......

Lidstrom: $6,200,000 (CH same)....he is NOT getting paid Bieksa wages

Weber: $7,500,000 (CH same)....."

Is Bieksa making some mistakes? Sure he is - who on the team isn't? (besides the goaltenders...and even they have their moments).

So yeah, it was a bit of a careless, lazy play but he did bail us out by playing hard afterward. No member of any team is free from error...but if they go the extra mile to try and offset it, that's important. It isn't like he just floated around out there afterward...he kicked it into beast mode and that's what made the difference. He's capable of that.

Here's what I know - you take Bieksa OUT of this lineup and you rip out a big part of the heart, soul and character. He has become one of the leaders and it's clear when you see the role he has played with guys like Rypien, Weise, etc. Plus, he is one of our tough guys and willing to look out for his teammates.

I think of a Big Yellow Taxi when you guys slam Bieksa....

Who cares about his points!! He's a DEFENCEMAN ......... he's supposed to defend!! Get the puck up to his forwards quickly and safely!! Not to the other fning team for a turnover!! He's not a baker, he's a professional hockey player that is being massively overpaid /

I don't understand the logic of people who say, "... who cares about points..." from defenders. Without Bieksa's points, 28 goals don't happen.The Canuck's D is on pace for close to 200 points this year. They have 123 right now. Without those points, the club would be suffering. The defence is critical in generating offence. Saying it's not is ignorant and suggests that you need to learn more about how team sports work.

People also need to see that KB3 is not the only Canucks blueliner that turns the puck over. They all do... and all of them turn it over far too often, as well! I can't name a defenceman on the club who has played as well as last year, can you?

.Chara: GP 48/ GvA 42/ TKA 17/ BS 54/ HTS100/ TOI-G 25.07/ TOI-S 28.4/ 7 yrs - $45.50 (6,916,667 CH)

Bieksa: GP 52/ GvA 45/ TKA 21/ BS 75/ HTS104/ TOI-G 23.38/ TOI-S 28.5/ 5 yrs - $23.00 (4,600,000 CH)

.....so?......

(to be cont'd...)

Bieksa has always been a good offensive player with a knack for making big time plays. It's his defensive zone performance that worries me.

.....so?......

(to be cont'd...)

Cha - ching!

Well played, Deb. On what site do you find your takeaway stats?

Bieksa has always been a good offensive player with a knack for making big time plays. It's his defensive zone performance that worries me.

But doesn't that statement (worrying defensive play) apply to the entire team at the moment, as we see them struggle to get/keep control of the puck for entire periods as they get sloppy and turn it over? The neutral zone has been a nightmare. As well, the entire team's let people dance around them, end to end? It's not just Bieksa who is guilty and if the team is constantly IN the defensive zone, what does that say?

As far as throwing some terrible/costly passes out there...even the Sedins are guilty of that at the moment. I saw Hansen with a terrible giveaway. Kes has had a few. Edler's picked up his game, but not long ago I cringed when he got the puck because you just never knew. Our team has been sloppy and disjointed....but to only focus on Bieksa is wrong. The entire team is "off" and that affects the passes, flow and general synchronicity for everyone. At times, the guys get too fancy and it's about knowing where everyone on the ice is (Burr is great for this)...Bieksa's blunder was in a dangerous area and it cost us. We've also seen Schneids bobble it and then make up for it in a similar "doh" moment.

Bieksa's blunder(s) are easy to target well, because that's what people here do...not long ago, everyone (but me & a few others) wanted him gone. But we'd miss him, big time.

I don't understand the logic of people who say, "... who cares about points..." from defenders. Without Bieksa's points, 28 goals don't happen.The Canuck's D is on pace for close to 200 points this year. They have 123 right now. Without those points, the club would be suffering. The defence is critical in generating offence. Saying it's not is ignorant and suggests that you need to learn more about how team sports work.

People also need to see that KB3 is not the only Canucks blueliner that turns the puck over. They all do... and all of them turn it over far too often, as well! I can't name a defenceman on the club who has played as well as last year, can you?

Gee you don't seem to get it.

Defensemen defend and forwards forward.

That's why Malhotra sucks he cant forward worth a crap.

Huh? Weber makes 7.5 mil this year, Bxa makes 7 mil. A half mil is a hell of a lot to you or I , but not for a pro athlete. Bxa is the highest paid Canuck this year as you well know.

Oh and his cap hit @ 4.6 is the highest among the Nuck Dmen, so he is as elite-ly paid as it gets on the team. All that for a small, slow guy, who can't play D, has a weak shot and serves up brain farts for breaky.

Defensive zone coverage is a responsibility of all 6 players on the ice .. too many times our coverage breakdown is the fault of forwards not fulfilling their defensive zone coverage, or poor goalie decisions i.e. not freezing the puck or steering the puck into a bad position .. when a defenseman gets the pucks and has no good option to outlet a pass they often make mistakes with the puck .. the great ones just slow the play down and keep the puck in a safe place i.e. the corner .. Lidstrom does this a lot .. Bieksa makes mistakes .. all D-men do .. Bieksa is one of those defensemen that can make-up for their mistakes after thru an offensive or "fistic" response .. as Deb said .. he is "heart and soul" .. where as Canucklion is more like the "tin-man" in the Land of Oz .. :P

Archived